Trojans within Security Software?

Hey people.  I thought of the rise ing security software out there to combat
security issues but wonder if such progs are just fronts for stealth
governments to watch you...

You just can never be sure the product IS 100% virtuous.  A marginal
calculated risk we take to ensure our privacy that seems never that private
at all..  because it's a double-edged sword with security programs..  Just
remember we got nothing to be paranoid about unless we really have something
to hide.. eheh
0
nameless
3/2/2002 10:19:00 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 That's why layered protection is better than relying on one piece of software.

--
 JB
Learn the Hazards

"nameless" <ephiniti_8@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey people.  I thought of the rise ing security software out there to combat
> security issues but wonder if such progs are just fronts for stealth
> governments to watch you...
0
Jack
3/2/2002 11:09:00 PM
"Jack Benny" <PBRBAP@.myrealbox.com> wrote:
> That's why layered protection is better than relying on one piece of
software.

Oh ok, so you'd rather have the FBI, the CIA, the KGB and the Shin Beit
*all* spying on you :^) :^)

Pharaoh :)

> > Hey people.  I thought of the rise ing security software out there to
combat
> > security issues but wonder if such progs are just fronts for stealth
> > governments to watch you...

0
Ph
3/4/2002 2:15:00 AM
"Ph@raoh" <Ph@raoh.edu> wrote in message news:a5ulfi$i9o$1@news.grc.com...

> "Jack Benny" <PBRBAP@.myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > That's why layered protection is better than relying on one piece of
> software.
>
> Oh ok, so you'd rather have the FBI, the CIA, the KGB and the Shin Beit
> *all* spying on you :^) :^)
>
> Pharaoh :)

  I hope to NEVER be so important ;o)

--
 JB
Learn the Hazards
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/info17.htm
0
Jack
3/4/2002 3:28:00 AM
*LMAO  I know you have a big bad rabbit hole you're not tellin us! ;)

"Jack Benny" <PBRBAP@.myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> "Ph@raoh" <Ph@raoh.edu> wrote in message news:a5ulfi$i9o$1@news.grc.com...
> >
> > "Jack Benny" <PBRBAP@.myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > > That's why layered protection is better than relying on one piece of
> > software.
> >
> > Oh ok, so you'd rather have the FBI, the CIA, the KGB and the Shin Beit
> > *all* spying on you :^) :^)
> >
> > Pharaoh :)
>
>   I hope to NEVER be so important ;o)
>
> --
>  JB
> Learn the Hazards
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/info17.htm

0
nameless
3/4/2002 8:01:00 AM
"Jack Benny" <PBRBAP@.myrealbox.com> wrote:
>   I hope to NEVER be so important ;o)
I would like to have so much money they feel the need to watch me - is
that ok? ;)
0
David

Open software, secure software
Monday, 1 March 2004, 1:51 PM CET Fifty-plus years ago Grace Hopper used her experiences with programming the UNIVAC with FLOW-MATIC (an open-source project) to write her first compiler paper and the modern era of computing programming began. Some would also say that things haven't improved much since her day. Indeed, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) estimated that in 2001 $59.5 billion annually, about 0.6 percent of the gross domestic product was being lost because of software bugs. The Sustainable Computing Consortium (SCC), an academic, gove...

Software [In]Security: Twitter Security
Making Your Thoughts as Small and Incomplete as Possible Just for the record, I don't use Twitter. But if this column were a Twitter entry, it might read something like: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1350268&cid=nl_DR_DAILY_T -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Is security software becoming a security risk?
"Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the problem worse, not better "... <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r -- js http://justheadlines.exofire.net john s. smith wrote: > "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk > by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the > problem worse, not better "... > ...

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

What do security guards and computer security software have in common???
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=920&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

Book Review: Software Security
I'm jealous. No seriously. If Cigital is actually ran as depicted in the book Software Security - Building Security In, I have to give kudos to Gary and the gang for making an impressive environment for software security. I'm a fan of Gary's writing. If you are a regular reader, you know I loved both his books on Building Secure Software and Exploiting Software. This latest book is, in my mind at least, a balancing act between the two previous books on the topic. Gary calls it the "Ying and Yang". Which makes total sense, since the book cover is of exactly that, ...

Security software to secure USB flash drives?
Hello, does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would password protect access to a USB flash drive?) Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. Any help would be appreciated. Paul -- Calculating in binary code is as easy as 01,10,11. Paul Jackson wrote: > Hello, > > does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would > password protect access to a USB flash drive?) > > Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. > > Any help would be appreciated. >...

security software
Name: Roland Hanke Email: roland_h5atmywaydotcom Product: Firefox Summary: security software Comments: Have you ever thought about doing security software? I would have more confidence in it than most of what is out there. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Security software
CryptoHeaven v1.0 is now available at www.cryptoheaven.com The product targets individuals in need of security and privacy working together in small groups. Software includes features like instant messaging, chat, and file sharing. Unique feature is an ability to securely share data folders between groups of people combined with remote storage. The source code is freely downloadable for anyone that cares to verify the claims. Asymmetric crypto is based on RSA and for a symmetric cipher, it uses Rijndael. It was released in hope that it would be put to the test by the cryptograp...

Software Security
Hi, How can i secure my software at customer site, so that it may not get copied. Is there any information available on software licencing techniques or algorithms regards sukhvinder There are manys to do that by binding the encrypted registration file with BIOS Serial No, HDD Serial No or Network's Physical Address, etc. to restrict the program to work on only one workstation. > Hi, > How can i secure my software at customer site, so that it > may not get copied. Is there any information available on > software licencing techniques or algorithms > >...

Security Software
What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy, beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?) Antivirus (my favorite: Norton AntiVirus), Antitrojan (recommended: BOClean) , Ad-Aware. Gtz. Tony "Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht news:9ge2bb$18qs$1@news.grc.com... > What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy, > beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?) > > "Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:9ge2bb$18qs$1@news.grc.com... > What a...

security too secure

when is secure, secure?

Securing Software
Hey Crypto Gurus, I've been working on some new software for Windows 7. I've always, prior to now, given my software away. I've decided that I want to start charging $0.99 for my new software. I'm debating on how to implement this... I was thinking of doing a shareware type model, free to try for 30 days, then you must buy. My problem is that I'm not sure the best way to: A) Enforce the trial period... Is this usually done in the registry? Couldn't I just "fudge" the date if I didn't want to pay... Should the date of install b...

Web resources about - Trojans within Security Software? - grc.security.software

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
Given that I resigned a couple weeks ago and am looking for new work , I've been asking myself a lot of questions about what I want to do next. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
We are gearing up for another awe-inspiring, thought-engaging, and actionable conference in 2012. It is our vision to stir up innovation and ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...