Security Software

What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy,
beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?)
0
Felix919
6/16/2001 1:33:00 AM
📁 grc.security.software
📃 15003 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 10 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 726 Views

Antivirus (my favorite: Norton AntiVirus), Antitrojan (recommended: BOClean)
, Ad-Aware.
Gtz.  Tony
"Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht
> What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy,
> beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?)

0
TonyKlein
6/15/2001 10:36:00 PM
"Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy,
> beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?)

All security apps are important, layers and having as many angles covered as
possible are the wisest move.
in no order of merit:
1) Firewall
2) Anti virus
3) Trojan scanner
4) Up to date patched OS
5)  All file extensions showing (if you use windows)
6) utility progs like reg cleaner and ad-aware etc can be useful
7) Closing down unwanted services and ports
8) port scanning SW
9) Process manager
miner.-
0
miner
6/15/2001 10:46:00 PM
SETTINGS !!!   All the settings, especially internet settings!!!
The default settings are NOT SECURE!!!   Here's my tips to safe internet
settings... (posting it here again...)

My tips to your IE settings:
 - General / settings / every visit to page
 - General / days to keep history / 0
 - Security / internet / disable ALL active-X (you can add sites where you
REALLY need them to your "trusted sites"), cookies that are stored to your
computer -disable, per-session cookies -allow, Java permissions - high
safety, Installation of desktop items -disable, Software channel
permissions - high safety, Userdata persistance - disabled, Active
Scripting - disabled, User authentication -prompt for user name / password.
 - Content / autocomplete -disable ALL (remember to clear both passwords and
forms NOW)
 - Advanced / disable following: Install on demand, Offline items to be
synchronized, Use inline autocomplete, Profile assistant, Fortezza, PCT,
SSL2.
 - Advanced / Make sure you have the following enabled: Use http1.1, JIT
complier for virtual machine, Check for publishers certificate revocation,
Check for server certificate revocation, Do not save encrypted pages to
disk, Empty temporary internet files when browser is closed, SSL3, TLS, Warn
about invalid site certificates, Warn if forms submittal is being
redirected.
That should keep you pretty safe... IF and ONLY if you keep updating your
Windozer... (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)

Markus
0
Markus
6/16/2001 3:19:00 AM
In article <9gej6f$1k86$1@news.grc.com>, jansson_markus@hotmail.com says...
<snipped>
>  - General / days to keep history / 0
<snipped>
Markus,
What vulnerability does this pose?  Please.
--
l'bodacious - See turtle lover.
0
"Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy,
> beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?)

0
Barney
6/16/2001 1:54:00 PM
Not a security vulnerability, just a privacy issue. So (if you run
'9x) other users can't see all the naughty websites you've been
visiting ;^).
--
Live Long and Prosper,
CRH 8^)>
"You Can" <lbodacious@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> In article <9gej6f$1k86$1@news.grc.com>, jansson_markus@hotmail.com
says...
> <snipped>
> >  - General / days to keep history / 0
> <snipped>
> Markus,
> What vulnerability does this pose?  Please.
>
> --
> l'bodacious - See turtle lover.
0
CRH
6/16/2001 2:06:00 PM
On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:19:29 +0300, "Markus Jansson"
<jansson_markus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>:)That should keep you pretty safe... IF and ONLY if you keep updating your
>:)Windozer... (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)
There is this nifty proggy called 98lite that allows you to get rid of
OE and IE entrirely. Microsoft java goes with IE and the pay version
even allows you to get rid of that scripting host thing.
Everything appears as an option on the setup applet and so you can put
it back if and when you decide you "need" it or are willing to take
the risk.
0
Harry
6/16/2001 6:16:00 PM
You can get rid of the scripting host just by unchecking the appropriate box
in Control Panel/Windows Setup and clicking OK twice. You might also rename
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mshta.exe for some extra security.

"Harry Lime" <harry@limenet.invalid> schreef in bericht
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:19:29 +0300, "Markus Jansson"
> <jansson_markus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >:)That should keep you pretty safe... IF and ONLY if you keep updating
your
> >:)Windozer... (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)
>
> There is this nifty proggy called 98lite that allows you to get rid of
> OE and IE entrirely. Microsoft java goes with IE and the pay version
> even allows you to get rid of that scripting host thing.
>
> Everything appears as an option on the setup applet and so you can put
> it back if and when you decide you "need" it or are willing to take
> the risk.

0
TonyKlein
6/16/2001 6:20:00 PM
On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:20:52 +0200, "TonyKlein" <jekaklok@xs4all.nl>
wrote:
>:)You can get rid of the scripting host just by unchecking the appropriate box
>:)in Control Panel/Windows Setup and clicking OK twice. You might also rename
>:)C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mshta.exe for some extra security.
Oh! I'm sorry. Since installing 98 lite everything is optional.
Sometimes I forget just what was not optional before. It's not like
the Borg to make something optional which *they* can exploit.
0
Harry
6/16/2001 9:31:00 PM
Felix919 wrote:

> What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy,
> beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?)
Besides some good virus software and monitoring for trojans I'd
suggest preventing your computer from sending compromising information
out to begin with. ZAP and other software mentioned in the other replies
gives some internet security, but using an anonymous proxy like
Anonymity 4 Proxy hides your computer IP address (among other things).
Also for communications use PGP 1024-bit random session keys (that
prevents a decoder from using the broken code from one compromised
message as a key to decode any other message). The next level of security
would to encrypt the PGP envelope parameters of the packet transmit such
that a decoder would be unable to obtain the message key at all, but the
software to do that is not readily available. Regards, RM.
0
Robert