Password secure...is it secure?

Yes I just got this baby and I LOVE it!  Its great. I have stored all my
passwords inside of it (and yes made a few backups from them in secure
locations)  How secure is this program really?  It uses blowfish to encrypt
the database but how strong blowfish?  128bits?  256?  448?

Anything else I should think about it?   I have putted it and its databases
inside PGPdisk just to play it safe...but then again Im a paranoid.   :)




--
Markus Jansson

************************************
 My privacy related homepage and PGP keys:
 http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/
************************************
0
Markus
8/21/2001 6:07:00 AM
📁 grc.security.software
📃 15003 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 8 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2186 Views

Markus said:Yes I just got this baby and I LOVE it!  Its great. I have
stored all my
> passwords inside of it .

Markus do you have a link for this app?I could really do with it.
Tilly

--
climbaboard@nzoomail.com
"Markus Jansson" <jansson_markus@ziplip.com> wrote in message
news:9lstr3$2h5c$1@news.grc.com...
> > locations)  How secure is this program really?  It uses blowfish to
encrypt
> the database but how strong blowfish?  128bits?  256?  448?
>
>
0
Tilly
8/21/2001 9:40:00 PM
"Tilly" <climbaboard@nzoomail.com> wrote in message
news:9lukh1$1fi9$1@news.grc.com...
> Markus do you have a link for this app?I could really do with it.


http://www.counterpane.com




--
Markus Jansson

************************************
 My privacy related homepage and PGP keys:
 http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/
************************************
0
Markus
8/21/2001 10:07:00 PM
<Mike_Bryeans@webbbs.org> wrote in message
news:WebBBS.998428888@webbbs.org...
> All in all, blowfish is pretty secure so I wouldn't worry to much about
> someone coming along and stealing your passwords.

Heh, thats not the issue. Blowfish may be pretty secure but how is it
implemented?  How about tampering the program?  Backdoors?   Dont just look
at the algorythm, it proves nothing.   :)



--
Markus Jansson

************************************
 My privacy related homepage and PGP keys:
 http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/
************************************
0
Markus
8/21/2001 10:08:00 PM
In Article <9lstr3$2h5c$1@news.grc.com>
"Markus Jansson" <jansson_markus@ziplip.com> writes:

> Yes I just got this baby and I LOVE it!  Its great. I have stored all my
> passwords inside of it (and yes made a few backups from them in secure
> locations)  How secure is this program really?  It uses blowfish to encrypt
> the database but how strong blowfish?  128bits?  256?  448?

Blowfish is a block cipher that takes a variable-length key, from 32 bits
to 448 bits.

All in all, blowfish is pretty secure so I wouldn't worry to much about
someone coming along and stealing your passwords.

---
WebBBS Secure Web Server v1.27 : Genesis ( http://www.webbbs.org/ )
0
Mike_Bryeans
8/21/2001 10:21:00 PM
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:07:07 +0300, "Markus Jansson"
<jansson_markus@ziplip.com> wrote:

>
>"Tilly" <climbaboard@nzoomail.com> wrote in message
>news:9lukh1$1fi9$1@news.grc.com...
>> Markus do you have a link for this app?I could really do with it.
>
>
>http://www.counterpane.com

Here's the Password Safe page:
http://www.counterpane.com/passsafe.html

Gina
0
mien2
8/22/2001 12:05:00 AM
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:08:09 +0300, "Markus Jansson"
<jansson_markus@ziplip.com> wrote:


>Heh, thats not the issue. Blowfish may be pretty secure but how is it
>implemented?  How about tampering the program?  Backdoors?   Dont just look
>at the algorythm, it proves nothing.   :)

Here's a test of Password Safe, looks like they were pretty thorough:
http://www.nmrc.org/lab/passsafe.html

Gina
0
mien2
8/22/2001 12:08:00 AM
"Gina Dennison" <mien2@excite.com> wrote in message
news:3b82f75e.11037870@news.grc.com...
> Here's a test of Password Safe, looks like they were pretty thorough:
> http://www.nmrc.org/lab/passsafe.html

Hey that was great!  Thanks!   It seems to be pretty damm good product
indeed.
And as a hint...if a paranoid person like me sayes its safe then....   ;)



--
Markus Jansson

************************************
 My privacy related homepage and PGP keys:
 http://www.geocities.com/jansson_markus/
************************************
0
Markus
8/22/2001 1:16:00 AM
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 04:16:31 +0300, "Markus Jansson"
<jansson_markus@ziplip.com> wrote:

>Hey that was great!  Thanks!   It seems to be pretty damm good product
>indeed.
>And as a hint...if a paranoid person like me sayes its safe then....   ;)

You're welcome.  I've been using it for quite a while, no complaints.
Glad it passes your "paranoid" test  :)

You may have seen this at the Counterpane site, but if not, Bruce
Schneier has an interesting security newsletter (always full of good
links).

Crypto-Gram Newsletter:
http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html

Gina
0
mien2
8/22/2001 3:56:00 AM
Reply: