Open software, secure software

 Monday, 1 March 2004, 1:51 PM CET

Fifty-plus years ago Grace Hopper used her experiences with programming the
UNIVAC with FLOW-MATIC (an open-source project) to write her first compiler
paper and the modern era of computing programming began. Some would also say
that things haven't improved much since her day.

Indeed, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) estimated
that in 2001 $59.5 billion annually, about 0.6 percent of the gross domestic
product was being lost because of software bugs. The Sustainable Computing
Consortium (SCC), an academic, government and business initiative to drive
IT improvements estimates that's on the low side. Its estimate is that
defective computer systems cost U.S. companies alone over $200 billion
annually. Yow!

Hardily a week goes by that we don't report a major software bug or security
hole at eWEEK.com. As Gregory Tassey, the senior economist in charge of the
NIST report says, "Software is at the extreme end in terms of errors or bugs
that are in typical products when they are sold."

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols at eWeek.

[ Read more ]

Regard: Joh@nnes �  :-))
"If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle"
0
Johannes
3/2/2004 12:25:00 AM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Software [In]Security: Twitter Security
Making Your Thoughts as Small and Incomplete as Possible Just for the record, I don't use Twitter. But if this column were a Twitter entry, it might read something like: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1350268&cid=nl_DR_DAILY_T -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

Is security software becoming a security risk?
"Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the problem worse, not better "... <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r -- js http://justheadlines.exofire.net john s. smith wrote: > "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk > by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the > problem worse, not better "... > ...

Valve's Steam Software (posted in security.software also)
Several issues have been brought up recently regarding the security of Valve's (makers of Half-Life and Half-Life2) content delivery system named Steam. I have had some issues as well as numerous posts on their forums regarding the safety of this program. The first place I decided to come was here to see if I could find any info regarding this. Since I have not been able to find anything, I decided to post and see what anyone else has to say regarding this piece of software. The link to their site is www.steampowered.com and www.steampowered.com/forums . If anyone could, pl...

GFI Software Enhances its Security Product Offering with the Acquisition of Sunbelt Software
For those of you running VIPRE, this may affect you -=20 <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Press/Releases/?id=3D362> <http://www.techcrunchit.com/2010/07/13/gfi-software-acquires-sunbelt-sof= tware-mainly-for-its-vipre-technology/> --=20 Randy <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/randyknobloch> ...

SOwens Technologies announces new line of Security software for DotNetNuke Portal Software
Imagine encrypting specific fields in your database, based on requirements and the needs of your customer or organization. Now do it with a few lines of code and your using InCryptorIT software by SOwens Technologies. Read about our first product in our new line of software at SOwens Technologies.Steven OwensSOwens Technologies...we make the net move Shouln't this be posted in another forum?Do you know the truth when you hear it?...

Book Review: Software Security
I'm jealous. No seriously. If Cigital is actually ran as depicted in the book Software Security - Building Security In, I have to give kudos to Gary and the gang for making an impressive environment for software security. I'm a fan of Gary's writing. If you are a regular reader, you know I loved both his books on Building Secure Software and Exploiting Software. This latest book is, in my mind at least, a balancing act between the two previous books on the topic. Gary calls it the "Ying and Yang". Which makes total sense, since the book cover is of exactly that, ...

What do security guards and computer security software have in common???
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=920&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� 1216771 Ont.Inc. "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

Security software to secure USB flash drives?
Hello, does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would password protect access to a USB flash drive?) Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. Any help would be appreciated. Paul -- Calculating in binary code is as easy as 01,10,11. Paul Jackson wrote: > Hello, > > does anyone know of some software (preferably freeware that would > password protect access to a USB flash drive?) > > Currentlty the drive I have is open wide as soon as it is plugged in. > > Any help would be appreciated. >...

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

Security Software
What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy, beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?) Antivirus (my favorite: Norton AntiVirus), Antitrojan (recommended: BOClean) , Ad-Aware. Gtz. Tony "Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht news:9ge2bb$18qs$1@news.grc.com... > What are the top most important software to have for internect securtiy, > beside ZAP which I have. (ie- Ad-Aware?? anything?) > > "Felix919" <Flex@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:9ge2bb$18qs$1@news.grc.com... > What a...

Security software
CryptoHeaven v1.0 is now available at www.cryptoheaven.com The product targets individuals in need of security and privacy working together in small groups. Software includes features like instant messaging, chat, and file sharing. Unique feature is an ability to securely share data folders between groups of people combined with remote storage. The source code is freely downloadable for anyone that cares to verify the claims. Asymmetric crypto is based on RSA and for a symmetric cipher, it uses Rijndael. It was released in hope that it would be put to the test by the cryptograp...

security software
Name: Roland Hanke Email: roland_h5atmywaydotcom Product: Firefox Summary: security software Comments: Have you ever thought about doing security software? I would have more confidence in it than most of what is out there. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Software Security
Hi, How can i secure my software at customer site, so that it may not get copied. Is there any information available on software licencing techniques or algorithms regards sukhvinder There are manys to do that by binding the encrypted registration file with BIOS Serial No, HDD Serial No or Network's Physical Address, etc. to restrict the program to work on only one workstation. > Hi, > How can i secure my software at customer site, so that it > may not get copied. Is there any information available on > software licencing techniques or algorithms > >...

Securing Software
Hey Crypto Gurus, I've been working on some new software for Windows 7. I've always, prior to now, given my software away. I've decided that I want to start charging $0.99 for my new software. I'm debating on how to implement this... I was thinking of doing a shareware type model, free to try for 30 days, then you must buy. My problem is that I'm not sure the best way to: A) Enforce the trial period... Is this usually done in the registry? Couldn't I just "fudge" the date if I didn't want to pay... Should the date of install b...

Web resources about - Open software, secure software - grc.security.software

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
I first attempted to use HealthCare.gov to learn about options for covering my granddaughter, who is not covered by my employer-subsidized insurance. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
Checking form... [x] Receive Updates Search Boston 2012 October 1st-3rd Earlybird tickets from $1,695 Register Earlybird rate available for: ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...