Is security software becoming a security risk?

"Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk
by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the
problem worse, not better "...
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html>
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r
--
js
http://justheadlines.exofire.net

💬 5 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1945 Views

john s. smith wrote:
> "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk
> by itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the
> problem worse, not better "...
>
> <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/21/Is-security-software-becoming-a-security-risk_1.html>
> or
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nkk9r

Interesting report:
http://www.nruns.com/ps/The_Death_of_AV_Defense_in_Depth-Revisiting_Anti-Virus_Software.pdf
--
Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED.
0
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:24:12 +0300, john s. smith <reply_here@.> wrote:
> "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by
> itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the
> problem worse, not better "...
That was exactly my point of NOT depending on an AV for security.
Tony.
--
Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived.
In grc.security.software, Anthony OZ wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:24:12 +0300, john s. smith <reply_here@.> wrote:
>
>> "Due to bugs in antivirus software, the security suite becomes a risk by
>> itself, and adding multiple pieces of security software makes the
>> problem worse, not better "...
>That was exactly my point of NOT depending on an AV for security.
I knew you'd like that one. :)
--
js
http://justheadlines.exofire.net
0
john
11/23/2007 9:32:19 PM
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:32:19 +0300, john s. smith <reply_here@.> wrote:
> I knew you'd like that one. :)
I wonder why did you argue on it with me way back then?!
:)

Tony.
--
Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived.
0
Anthony
11/23/2007 9:39:01 PM
In grc.security.software, Anthony OZ wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:32:19 +0300, john s. smith <reply_here@.> wrote:
>
>> I knew you'd like that one. :)
>I wonder why did you argue on it with me way back then?!
>:)
Just because I post a link to an article doesn't necessarily mean I
agree with it's content. But...
There's never been any doubt in my mind that AV software can have (and
has had) vulnerabilities. Still, I choose to run an AV.