F-Secure?

Currently I'm running a home network and on the wife's computer I'm
running AVG Free and ZAF. My ISP (Charter) is offering a "Security
Suite" from F-Secure that includes an AV and a firewall. My question
is: Is it worth changing over to the F-Secure Suite or should I leave
well enough alone? Any feedback on F-Secure, pro or con, would be
appreciated.

--

Dave.

Please remove your.ignorance before you email me.
0
Another
6/26/2004 9:24:00 PM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In Steve Gibson's grc.security.software - Another Muttley wrote:

> Currently I'm running a home network and on the wife's computer
> I'm running AVG Free and ZAF. My ISP (Charter) is offering a
> "Security Suite" from F-Secure that includes an AV and a firewall.
> My question is: Is it worth changing over to the F-Secure Suite or
> should I leave well enough alone? Any feedback on F-Secure, pro or
> con, would be appreciated.

If the price is reasonable, including license renewal, you may want to
consider F-Secure. It is one of the best AV products available.

I'm not familiar with their SOHO type products, but when it comes to
enterprise solutions their products are in the top tier.
Norton, NAI/McAfee et al do not even come close.

--
Regards,
Guy

<URL:http://guysalias.batcave.net/pgpkeys.txt> [Updated: 4/29/2004]
0
Guy
6/27/2004 2:05:00 AM
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:05:26 -0500, Guy
<Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> managed to scribble:

[for the unabridged version, see Another Muttley's post above]

>If the price is reasonable, including license renewal, you may want to
>consider F-Secure. It is one of the best AV products available.
>
>I'm not familiar with their SOHO type products, but when it comes to
>enterprise solutions their products are in the top tier.
>Norton, NAI/McAfee et al do not even come close.

Yes, the price is very reasonable, as in free to 3Mb accounts. ;-)

I guess that I'll give it a try, thanks.

--

Dave.

Please remove your.ignorance before you email me.
0
Another
6/27/2004 1:18:00 PM
"Another Muttley" <muttley6t9@your.ignorance.gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:05:26 -0500, Guy
> <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> managed to scribble:
>
> [for the unabridged version, see Another Muttley's post above]
>
> >If the price is reasonable, including license renewal, you may want to
> >consider F-Secure. It is one of the best AV products available.
snip
> I guess that I'll give it a try, thanks.

Dave, some time ago I gave F-Secure a try and there was something I did not
care for(I got to many false pos.) so I did an uninstall and a cleanup with
jv16 power tools and regedit. There was a key in the registry I could not
get rid of, I tried off and on for over a year to be rid of that key but
every time I delete the key it would come back. Other wise it was a good
anti-virus software. Let us know what you think about it.
--
Is your Anti-Virus software up to date ?
Get free Anti-Virus. www.grisoft.com

regards,
Jimmy
0
Jimmy
6/30/2004 2:27:00 PM
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:27:28 -0700, "Jimmy" <metoo@privacy.net>
managed to scribble:

>"Another Muttley" <muttley6t9@your.ignorance.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:05:26 -0500, Guy
>> <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> managed to scribble:
>>
>> [for the unabridged version, see Another Muttley's post above]
>>
>> >If the price is reasonable, including license renewal, you may want to
>> >consider F-Secure. It is one of the best AV products available.
>snip
>> I guess that I'll give it a try, thanks.
>>

>Dave, some time ago I gave F-Secure a try and there was something I did not
>care for(I got to many false pos.) so I did an uninstall and a cleanup with
>jv16 power tools and regedit. There was a key in the registry I could not
>get rid of, I tried off and on for over a year to be rid of that key but
>every time I delete the key it would come back. Other wise it was a good
>anti-virus software. Let us know what you think about it.

I guess that my inner self (inate self-preservation) guided me right
in waiting (make that procrastinate) for more replies before changing
to F-Secure. I have been bitten in the past by going to something that
I'm not sure of.

One of those big bites in the past was using Symantec/Norton products.
They are noted for getting their "hooks" deep into the OS and not
being able to get them cleared out unless you do a reformat (which I
have done to get rid of the menace) or going to extraordinary means.
Norton Sysytem Works being a prime example, I tried using the
uninstaller but there were things left that I had a hard time getting
rid of and rather than doing a search to find a way, I reformatted and
started from scratch. Any time there is a product that takes unusual
or severe methods to clean out of the system I hesitate to even
install the product.

So, unless someone can come up with a compelling reason the switch to
F-Secure, I'll stay with AVG and ZAF.

--

Dave.

Please remove your.ignorance before you email me.
0
Another
7/3/2004 11:13:00 PM
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 18:13:11 -0500, Another Muttley
<muttley6t9@your.ignorance.gmail.com> wrote:

>So, unless someone can come up with a compelling reason the switch to
>F-Secure, I'll stay with AVG and ZAF.

You're startin' to smarten.

--
Rudy