Anyony using F-Secure or F-Prot 4 Windoze?

Hi fellas!

Anybody out there using one of the products? Hints, experiences,
performance and detections?

Thanx/2 all.

Harald
0
Harald
1/27/2004 8:50:00 AM
grc.security.software 15003 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:50:08 +0100, Harald Bilke wrote:

> Hi fellas!
>
> Anybody out there using one of the products? Hints, experiences,
> performance and detections?
>
> Thanx/2 all.
>
> Harald

F-prot - very nice, highly efficient background scans, low memory usage.
Two years use here at home and on small network. Recently used to id and
clean two XPHome machines running NAV with current updates which were
infected with trojans, one of which also had a rootkit. Excellent
cost/value ratio.

Nemomarii
0
Nemo
1/27/2004 5:42:00 PM
"Harald Bilke" <hb@lanplus.de.hehehe> wrote...

> Anybody out there using one of the products? Hints, experiences,
> performance and detections?

Been using F-Prot since v1.something for DOS, back around '92 or '93 (now at
v3.14b for Win).  I've used McAfee and Norton/Symantec and tried several others,
but always went back to F-Prot.  I still have Symantec loaded and use it for
weekly manual scans, but F-Prot is much cleaner and less resource-intensive for
the active scanner on both my Win 2000 and XP Home machines.

Biggest problems with the others:

    McAfee has recurrent upgrade problems with major upgrades, and is almost
impossible to completely remove from the system.

    Symantec is a resource hog, slowing the machine (even my dual-processor
workstation) visibly with the active scanner.
0
John
1/27/2004 10:16:00 PM
Oh yes. Been using F-Prot Dos (free) for years. I just scan email in
boxes etc manually and once in a while scan the whole box. Lean clean
adn very mean on viruses.

Many time found viruses that AVG free missed.

BTW, Bit Defender has free win versions whaich I found to be as good
in catching viruses.

<hb@lanplus.de.hehehe> wrote:

>Hi fellas!
>
>Anybody out there using one of the products? Hints, experiences,
>performance and detections?
>
>Thanx/2 all.
>
>Harald
Hi again,
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:42:18 -0600, Nemo Marii
<nemomarii@mentalleap.kom> wrote:

>F-prot - very nice, highly efficient background scans, low memory usage.
>Two years use here at home and on small network. Recently used to id and
>clean two XPHome machines running NAV with current updates which were
>infected with trojans, one of which also had a rootkit. Excellent
>cost/value ratio.

So it's good on detecting trojans, too?! Good to know.
Do you use the integrity checker?

Thanx

Harald
0
Harald
1/28/2004 8:55:00 AM
Hi/2,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:16:19 -0800, "John R Weiss"
<jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.attbi.com> wrote:

>Been using F-Prot since v1.something for DOS, back around '92 or '93 (now at

Those good ole times. Had a false positive with Magellan (so a nice
prog...). Mr. Skulason identified the false positive and reported back
within a day.

>..

>Biggest problems with the others:
>
>    McAfee has recurrent upgrade problems with major upgrades, and is almost
>impossible to completely remove from the system.
>
>    Symantec is a resource hog, slowing the machine (even my dual-processor
>workstation) visibly with the active scanner.

I can second _this_. Add another one: It's a mess to get rid of!!!

Harald
0
Harald
1/28/2004 8:59:00 AM
Hi/3

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:57:30 -0800, 88 <88@there.net> wrote:

>Oh yes. Been using F-Prot Dos (free) for years. I just scan email in
>boxes etc manually and once in a while scan the whole box. Lean clean
>adn very mean on viruses.
>
>Many time found viruses that AVG free missed.
>
>BTW, Bit Defender has free win versions whaich I found to be as good
>in catching viruses.

I found it working on the slow side.

No one using F-Secure. They claim using three different engines.
Interesting as I'd use two different scanners on say file or mail
servers and the workstations.

Harald
0
Harald
1/28/2004 9:02:00 AM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:55:13 +0100, Harald Bilke wrote:

> Hi again,
> SNIP
> So it's good on detecting trojans, too?! Good to know. Do you use the
> integrity checker?
>
> Thanx
>

> Harald

F-prot does as well as any AV at detecting known trojans. I would suggest
that a trojan scanner such as BOClean would do a better job with unknowns.
The integrity checker just creates an MD5 type of hash to let you know if
a designated file changes, but only when you scan that file yourself, and
it cannot tell you what the changes are. OK for listing another symptom,
but not much help diagnostically. No, I no longer use that feature
routinely.

Nemomarii
0
Nemo
1/28/2004 5:47:00 PM
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:16:19 -0800, John R Weiss
<jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.attbi.com> wrote:

> Been using F-Prot since v1.something for DOS, back around '92 or '93
> (now at
> v3.14b for Win).  I've used McAfee and Norton/Symantec and tried several
> others,
> but always went back to F-Prot.  I still have Symantec loaded and use it
> for
> weekly manual scans, but F-Prot is much cleaner and less
> resource-intensive for
> the active scanner on both my Win 2000 and XP Home machines.

Only 'problem' that I've found with F-Secure AV (v5.41) is that if you
have a folder with lot's of executable etc. files. When you open the
folder, the harddrive starts churning like madman.. For example, I have a
downloads folder that I haven't cleaned or removed any files from in a
long time and when I download/save another file in it from my browser, it
takes about 20 seconds before the 'actual' downloads starts.. I think that
that is the result of F-Secure going through every executable in the
folder.. Does this on all folders that contain lot of dll's too, but it
doesn't take that much time..

I can live with this though, and I suspect that many other active AV's
have the same 'problem'.. Never actually tried any other AV's :). I think
that F-Secure AV is one of the best AV software out there.. Come to think
of it I haven't seen other AV's being used here (in Finland) much..
Anti-Virus equals F-Prot / F-Secure AV here :)..  Probably something to do
with the fact that F-Secure is a Finnish company :).

--
Janne Hurskainen
GPG/PGP KeyID: 1C4DB5A9

Harald Bilke wrote:
> Anybody out there using one of the products? Hints, experiences,
> performance and detections?

> Harald

F-Secure 4.x and 5.x (both the security-suites and the standalone AV)
running for the last 6 years in a large and exposed LAN environment. Im
very satisified.

The only "nag" I have about it is its self-updating feature that relies
on a light-edition of Backweb. Backweb is removable and the updates can
be scripted/automated other ways tho...

--
DiCeR
0

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:47:39 -0800, 88 <88@there.net> wrote:

>Yes, Bit Defender is slower but it found the same stuff that F-Prot
>found. And hey, its free. I've never tried F-secure.

Good 2 know. As boxes get more powerful - maybe an option.

Thanx to all contributors.

Harald
0
Harald

F-prot and F-Secure
F-prot and F-Secure what is diff between them and which one is better? Some testing results: http://www.av-test.org/online/sites/os03.php3?js=1&test=2001-10 On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:10:55 -0400, "BOB" <rodaru@hotmail.com> wrote: >F-prot and F-Secure what is diff between them and which one is better? > "BOB" <rodaru@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bcfkuh$9bi$1@news.grc.com... > F-prot and F-Secure what is diff between them and which one is better? AFAIK, F-Secure uses the F-Prot engine. I don't know how often F-Secure ...

Anybody using F-Secure Client Security?
Is anybody else using F-Secure Client Security AND Novell BorderManager? If so, we've isolated a problem where Client Security 7.0.1 causes a BSOD & reboot when clntrust tries to initially authenticate to the proxy server. If you're already authenticated to the proxy server, everything works fine. If you unload clntrust and authenticate manually, everything works fine. The BSOD only occurs during the initial connection. It only affects about 10% of our users, but with that 10% it's *VERY* consistent. So far, the only fix we've come up with is to back-rev...

F-Prot beta updates at F-Secure

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

F-Prot beta updates at F-Secure 7/9/01
Virus scanning report - 10. July 2001 1:20 F-PROT 3.09c SIGN.DEF created 9. July 2001 SIGN2.DEF created 9. July 2001 MACRO.DEF created 19. June 2001 ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/beta/sign.zip ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/beta/sign2.zip ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/dos/macro.def If you don't want to "play" the beta game, these are dated 7/6/01: ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/fp-def.zip Macro.def is still stuck on 6/19/01 FYI Frisk's site has DEFs...

F-Prot beta updates at F-Secure 7/18/01

F-Prot beta updates at F-Secure 7/6/01
Virus scanning report - 6. July 2001 23:59 F-PROT 3.09c SIGN.DEF created 6. July 2001 SIGN2.DEF created 6. July 2001 MACRO.DEF created 19. June 2001 ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/beta/sign.zip ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/beta/sign2.zip ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/dos/macro.def If you don't want to "play" the beta game, these are dated 7/5/01: ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/updates/f-prot/fp-def.zip Macro.def is still stuck on 6/19/01 FYI Frisk's site has DE...

F Secure internet Security 2013
someone is asking for an opinion on this one and I have no experience with it. Just wondering if anyone here uses it, likes it, how well it behaves, anything...thanks..Mike ...

Norton Internet Security vs. F-Secure
Norton Internet Security vs. F-Secure can you compare? BOB <rodaru@hotmail.com> wrote: > Norton Internet Security vs. F-Secure can you compare? Try grc.security.software. http://grc.com/nntpquickref.htm -- Robert List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/ Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site - http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm ...

F-Secure Client Security vulnerable to LeakTest
Hello. Was testing around, finally got my setup stealthed by using the XP SP2 = firewall in conjunction with my Client Security one(Client Security 6.00= = build 11251), and ShieldsUp gave me an a-ok. Real surprise came when I = tested with LeakTest... 1st test. Run LeakTest.exe from desktop, safe settings on in both = firewalls. LT is blocked by CS, repeatedly, OK. Turn off CS firewall, XP= = firewall breached, not surprising. Double-check CS reliability, rename = ..exe a couple of times, still blocking, OK. 2. test. Rename LeakTest.exe -> Opera.exe, move...

Any Info on F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security
Does anyone have any experience with F-Secure Products? And their new corporate product "F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security"? Have searched this news group and a few forums without finding people discussing the F-Secure products.. I am looking a this product to replace the bloated Symantec AV and Zone Alarm on my peer based LAN small network. Any info on people's experience with F-Secure products would be appreciated. Acc7 On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:40:47 -0400, acc7 wrote: > Does anyone have any experience with F-Secure Products? And their new > corporate p...

F-Secure
How can GRC Shields-Up detect my IP address when I'm using F-Secure Tunneling program with port forwarding? Other sites such as dslreports can't seem to find anything. "Ryan Thomas" <ryan.l.thomas@verizon.net> wrote in message news:9v3117$78u$1@news.grc.com... > How can GRC Shields-Up detect my IP address when I'm using F-Secure > Tunneling program with port forwarding? Other sites such as dslreports can't > seem to find anything. Steve uses SSL and HTTPS. -- � -- Robert grc.com forum FAQ - http://grc.com/discussions.htm grc.com for...

f=f
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Duis non ultricies mauris. Nam aliquet ante eget ipsum hendrerit rhoncus. Suspendisse non sem vel erat semper vehicula ac sed lacus. Praesent tincidunt pulvinar tellus, blandit condimentum dolor vulputate feugiat. Stanimir Stamenkov wrote: > Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Duis non > ultricies mauris. Nam aliquet ante eget ipsum hendrerit rhoncus. > Suspendisse non sem vel erat semper vehicula ac sed lacus. Praesent > tincidunt pulvinar tellus, blandit condimentum dolor vulputate feugiat...

F-Secure?
Currently I'm running a home network and on the wife's computer I'm running AVG Free and ZAF. My ISP (Charter) is offering a "Security Suite" from F-Secure that includes an AV and a firewall. My question is: Is it worth changing over to the F-Secure Suite or should I leave well enough alone? Any feedback on F-Secure, pro or con, would be appreciated. -- Dave. Please remove your.ignorance before you email me. In Steve Gibson's grc.security.software - Another Muttley wrote: > Currently I'm running a home network and on the wife's computer ...

Web resources about - Anyony using F-Secure or F-Prot 4 Windoze? - grc.security.software

F-Secure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
F-Secure Corporation (formerly Data Fellows ) is an anti-virus , cloud content and computer security company based in Helsinki , Finland . The ...

F-Secure Freedome (@FreedomeVPN) on Twitter

F-Secure Freedome VPN on the App Store on iTunes
Get F-Secure Freedome VPN on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Protection Against Cyber Threats to Businesses - F-Secure
... Business Products Products Full-Protection Suites Endpoint Protection Management and Control Network Protection Enterprise Security Why F-Secure ...

f-secure - News, Features, and Slideshows - CIO
Latest news, features, and slideshows on f-secure from CIO

f-secure - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on f-secure from Computerworld

Duqu - Stuxnet - McAfee - Symantec - F-Secure - cyber espionage
Security researchers have identified a new highly sophisticated computer virus similar to Stuxnet, the worm that targeted Iran's nuclear facilities ...

F-Secure - 9to5Google
A recent […] report by F-Secure raised privacy concerns by stating that Xiaomi devices are sending phone numbers to Xiaomi’s servers. These concerns ...

F-Secure releases one-click test for PCs infected by GameOver Zeus botnet
... was not the only tech entity involved, and the death notice may have been a bit premature. One of the others involved was security firm F-Secure, ...

FSC1V News: F-Secure OYJ Headlines & Press Releases - Bloomberg
Breaking news on F-Secure OYJ (FSC1V) including company news, press releases and other Computer Data Security headline news.