Windows XP Question

I have been reading this group for quite a while.
This leads me to the conclusion that I know nothing, and there are some here
who are experts.
Which brings me to my question.
Question is: if I allow my vendor (whole new system) to install Windows XP
(which is rather nice, graphically speaking) on my new system, is there any
version of ZoneAlarm capable of shielding me from Big Bro? I wish there
were, but I am not sure. I do NOT want any O.S. to contact anybody to do
anything any time - it's my computer, and I will upgrade/date whenever I
think it's time to do that. Comments/suggestions, please?

--
Autoloukos
The early bird may get the worm,

"Autoloukos" <Alexander@Mieza.Playing> wrote in message
> I have been reading this group for quite a while.
> This leads me to the conclusion that I know nothing, and there are some
here
> who are experts.
> Which brings me to my question.
> Question is: if I allow my vendor (whole new system) to install Windows XP
> (which is rather nice, graphically speaking) on my new system, is there
any
> version of ZoneAlarm capable of shielding me from Big Bro? I wish there
> were, but I am not sure. I do NOT want any O.S. to contact anybody to do
> anything any time - it's my computer, and I will upgrade/date whenever I
> think it's time to do that. Comments/suggestions, please?
>
> --
> Autoloukos
> The early bird may get the worm,
> but the second mouse gets the cheese.

its your computer
but its not your OS (it is only loaned to you)
ANY version of ZA will ask if you want update apps to run
BUT only you (or your dealer) can stop the services loading
in the first place
see all other threads about stopping unwanted services
0
Primary
2/1/2003 12:21:00 AM
In article <b1f33q$1bng$1@news.grc.com>, Autoloukos says...
>I have been reading this group for quite a while.
>This leads me to the conclusion that I know nothing, and there are some here
>who are experts.
>Which brings me to my question.
>Question is: if I allow my vendor (whole new system) to install Windows XP
>(which is rather nice, graphically speaking) on my new system, is there any
>version of ZoneAlarm capable of shielding me from Big Bro? I wish there
>were, but I am not sure. I do NOT want any O.S. to contact anybody to do
>anything any time - it's my computer, and I will upgrade/date whenever I
>think it's time to do that. Comments/suggestions, please?

If you have a basic understanding of ports and protocols, you probably
would be better served by a rules-based firewall like Kerio, Look 'n Stop,
or a few others. They allow finer grained control of what calls out. That
said, I have not noticed any untoward call-home activity by XP Pro in over
a year of use -- hysterical rantings of some people and web sites to the
contrary. Now, Media Player is a different subject. It seems to be lonesome
for *everybody*. <g>

Disable the services you don't need (there will be many), hamstring
Messenger, and install most any firewall and you will be good to go. Sygate
would probably be another good choice (I have no personal experience) but I
would steer clear of Outpost at this point. There are major problems with
XP SP1 and Outpost. Oh, yeah -- this is no "expert" opinion, just a simple
user.
--
Phil
0
"Autoloukos" <Alexander@Mieza.Playing> wrote in message
> I have been reading this group for quite a while.
> This leads me to the conclusion that I know nothing, and there are some
here
> who are experts.
> Which brings me to my question.
> Question is: if I allow my vendor (whole new system) to install Windows XP
> (which is rather nice, graphically speaking) on my new system, is there
any
> version of ZoneAlarm capable of shielding me from Big Bro? I wish there
> were, but I am not sure. I do NOT want any O.S. to contact anybody to do
> anything any time - it's my computer, and I will upgrade/date whenever I
> think it's time to do that. Comments/suggestions, please?

Hi Autoloukos,

XP can be configured to only update manually, you have to change a number of
default settings though before you go online. You should do a "little"
reading first ;-). BTW the current version of ZA free work fine for me with
XP Professional. Rule of thumb: If something wants access and/or server
rights, say No and see, if everything works for you anyway. If not, look
into it.

In regards to needed or unneeded services running, I think there is no
general rule. Depends a lot on your set up (e.g. stanalone or networked) and
on the way you use your PC. Depending on which OS you are upgrading from
IMO, XP might look quite different (98) or not that much (2000) to you.

If you search posts you should find more good links than you can read. This
is a starting point
http://lists.gpick.com/
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Windows_XP_Info.htm

BTW I guess we all know something about something and little or nothing
about something else ;-)

HiMan
0
HiMan
2/1/2003 1:04:00 AM
"Autoloukos" <
> Question is: if I allow my vendor (whole new system) to install Windows XP
> (which is rather nice, graphically speaking) on my new system, is there
any
> version of ZoneAlarm capable of shielding me from Big Bro? I wish there
> were, but I am not sure. I do NOT want any O.S. to contact anybody to do
> anything any time - it's my computer, and I will upgrade/date whenever I
> think it's time to do that. Comments/suggestions, please?

Not an expert, but I'll tell you my opinion from my personal experience.
First of all you will NOT be able to simply rely on ZA.
Second, if you are not comfortable with IE6, then don't go with XP.

That said, it is possible to secure XP, but it is very easy to miss
something as there are a LOT of settings to be changed. Use the Net, find
some sites discussing what services to disable ... the average computer user
will probably be hopelessly lost. I'm a fairly advanced user, and it took me
a full three weeks to get XP pro secure enough to where I felt reasonably
comfortable with it (basically EVERYTHING shut down that isn't absolutely
necessary), and I still missed a few things.

That said, I have yet to get SP1 to install, even though bandwidth isn't a
problem with the T1 on campus ...and I loathe the (in)security of IE6 ....

IMO, Win98, upgraded to, but not including IE 5.5 SP2 is the best
combination of security and stability available (Win2K aside) with proper
configuration. But, it depends on your preferences, and what you want, and
how knowledgeable you are about your system.
--
<!-  Razz ->
0

"Razz" <deadletterbox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> IMO, Win98, upgraded to, but not including IE 5.5 SP2 is the best
> combination of security and stability available (Win2K aside) with proper
> configuration. But, it depends on your preferences, and what you want, and
> how knowledgeable you are about your system.
0
THX
2/1/2003 1:35:00 PM
Unless you pull the network cord, remove the floppy and CD ROM drives, and
encase the whole thing in Carbonite!
Paul
"THX 1138" <fuzzywuzzy719@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I hope you were being sarcastic and not serious in this statement!  :-)
> Nearly anything is more secure than Win9x.
>
> "Razz" <deadletterbox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > IMO, Win98, upgraded to, but not including IE 5.5 SP2 is the best
> > combination of security and stability available (Win2K aside) with
proper
> > configuration. But, it depends on your preferences, and what you want,
and
> > how knowledgeable you are about your system.

0
Paul
2/1/2003 5:27:00 PM
I'm no expert either but have been using XPH for
about a year and comparing it to 98se and ME (I
have two other boxes) find XP very stable . But it
does like to try to phone MS . Here's a list of
good services sites that have helped me to server
the cord .
http://www.overclockersclub.com/windowsxpservices.
shtml
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/inde
x.shtml
http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/winxp_services/
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Windows_XP_Info.htm
http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_wi
n.en.html
I do have SP1 installed and have taken WMP 8 out
of service .( couldn't find away to keep it off
the net and just didn't like it any way ) . The
best advise has been given in other threads , "it
depends on what you need ."
ZAF works fine for me , I use it for outbound
control as I'm behind a router .Hope the links
help .

Richard K.
"Autoloukos" <Alexander@Mieza.Playing> wrote in
message news:b1f33q$1bng$1@news.grc.com...
<snip>
> Question is: if I allow my vendor (whole new
system) to install Windows XP
> (which is rather nice, graphically speaking) on
my new system, is there any
> version of ZoneAlarm capable of shielding me
from Big Bro? I wish there
> were, but I am not sure. I do NOT want any O.S.
to contact anybody to do
> anything any time - it's my computer, and I will
upgrade/date whenever I
> think it's time to do that.
Comments/suggestions, please?

> --
> Autoloukos
> The early bird may get the worm,
> but the second mouse gets the cheese.
0
Richard
2/1/2003 6:19:00 PM
No.
Please note that I qualified the remark with:
*with proper configuration*

I'd lay the usability, stability, and security of my Win98 machine against
any system out there and come out ahead or draw against 95% of them.
--
<!-  Razz ->
"THX 1138" <fuzzywuzzy719@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I hope you were being sarcastic and not serious in this statement!  :-)
> Nearly anything is more secure than Win9x.
>
> "Razz" <deadletterbox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > IMO, Win98, upgraded to, but not including IE 5.5 SP2 is the best
> > combination of security and stability available (Win2K aside) with
proper
> > configuration. But, it depends on your preferences, and what you want,
and
> > how knowledgeable you are about your system.

0
Razz

windows ME questions, questions, questions.......
Hi, my next PC will be running Windows ME. The PC will be supplied via my work, so there's no choice here for me (ME?) (I think I would have preferred 98 SE). The harddisk (40GB matrox) will have ME installed, and both the Windows ME set-up files and an image of the initial Harddisk 'on a hidden partition'. Word has it that this partition is not seen by Format nor FDisk. Is this really possible? No Windows CD will be supplied. Seems a new way of MS to encourage working with licensed software only. Anyone familiar with this way of distributing an OS? Will I be able to ...

Windows XP question
Can someone tell me the difference between Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Pro Corporate? TIA Tom "Tom Petit" <tcpfl1@REMOVEyahoo.com.REMOVE> wrote in news:cd6i5d$h74$1@news.grc.com: > Can someone tell me the difference between Windows XP Pro > and Windows XP Pro Corporate? Judging by the number of cracked editions I find when I google for "Windows XP Professional Corporate", my guess is that you don't need to activate it (though I am sure there are other differences). -- Kayode Okeyode http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/ http://www....

Windows XP question
I've just created a dual boot with Win2000 server and Windows XP. It seems that Windows2000 won't work with my satelite linke :( Anyway, XP seems to have a built in firewall that looks a lot like zonealarm in its appearance. It this really zonealarm? In message <apr3tb$1v1q$1@news.grc.com>, Dan Bissetsmith <danhb@altavista.net> kicked in with >Anyway, XP seems to have a built in firewall that looks a lot like >zonealarm in its appearance. It this really zonealarm? Not that I know of. Although I know and use the built-in firewall, I didn't find a...

XP privacy question
I have a friend who is considering make the move to XP but he would like to review privacy concerns with XP. I have searched for sites pertaining to this matter but most are from 2001. I would like to provide him with some more recent updated sites for him to read. Would anyone happen to have links to sites of this nature? TIA (That's Thank You In Advance rather than Total Information Awareness! lol) In article <at333m$1vj2$1@news.grc.com>, Dave says... >I have a friend who is considering make the move to XP but he would like to >review privacy concerns with XP. I...

Windows XP question
I just did a clean install of Windows XP Home edition, I am running Sygate Pro 5.0 firewall on a cable modem. My stupid question is to the computer gods: When I reboot the machine it comes up to the account window, which I have 2, if I do not click on them and leave my machine say over night is my machine vulnerable to an attack? I am not that familiar with the NTFS or NT systems and would like some guidance on this issue. Also are there any other precautions I should take with this system? I have looked and can't figure out if the GRC recommendation for binding everything to Netbui...

M$ Office XP and Windows XP 'error reporting' a risk to Privacy.
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/article.php?sid=2021&mode=thread&order=0 -- Regard: Joh@nnes� "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

Question on utility NWADMIN for NetWare 4.0 which are compatible with Windows 2000 Pro Windows XP Pro
Good afternoon! On a file server it is established NetWare 4.0. Earlier management of this server was carried out by means of utility NWADMIN95 which is established on the computer with Windows 98SE and Client32. Now there is a question of installation on all computers Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. Thus on official site Novell.com i have found utilities NWADMIN and Client32 only for NetWare 5.0 and later versions. Though these utilities are compatible with Windows 2000/XP Pro, these utilities are incompatible with Netware 4.0. Ask to inf...

Proposal Round 2: Drop active support of Windows 2000, Windows XP (no service pack) and Windows XP SP1
See the previous thread for the story so far: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/67ddcaa5c897a58b# What seems to be a reasonable step is to declare that Windows XP SP2 is the lowest supported version of Windows. Older versions will not be blocked from working based on current plans, but are considered unsupported. What Unsupported Means: * No tinderbox coverage * No QA coverage * No unit test or talos performance coverage * Bugs only affecting these platforms will not be considered as blocking any release 1.9.2 or later. ** We wil...

Windows XP privacy issue.
After installing the XP RC2 build, i was playing around with the new cool settings and what not. During this time, i double clicked on the clock on the bottom right corner of my task bar and noticed there was a new tab for the Date and Time properties called " Internet Time. " What this " utility " does is it " Automatically synchronize with an Internet Time server. " Neat huh ? The only thing that bugs me is that this option is enabled by default, and that the server it connects to is time.windows.com. It may not be a big deal, but what if I didn'...

Windows XP Privacy Issue
Hi, I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this article "Windows XP Shows the Direction Microsoft is Going" at http://www.hevanet.com/peace/microsoft.htm I feel perhaps I should have posted at grc.spyware or even grc.security :) I'd appreciate other people's ideas before I start tinkering with my firewall permissions. Regards Sammy Hall, Jr In article <Xns933FDF2B5FBECmjwatson2001ziplipco@204.1.226.226>, mjwatson2001@ziplip.com says... > Hi, > I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this article "Windows XP Shows > the ...

Windows XP Client Question
Hi, On our Windows XP Professional SP1 Client 4.91 we have it that the workstation only checkbox appears at the Novell login so that a user can login locally by checking off the box or the user can login in to the network by making sure the checkbox is unchecked and logging in with their user name and password. There are several settings under the Advanced Login for the Novell Client for Windows Properties. 1) Workstation Only (we leave this on so that checkbox shows up at the Novell login), 2)Workstation Only Default, 3)Workstation Only if not connected, 4)Workstation Only...

Window XP Privacy Statement
Is anyone willing to ask Microsoft if the Inclusion of Alexa Spyware links in the Setup Procedure of Windows XP is Actually a direct VIOLATION of their OWN LEGAL PRIVACY STATEMENTS! The Inquirer <support@Microsoft.com> wrote: > Is anyone willing to ask Microsoft if the Inclusion of Alexa Spyware links > in the Setup Procedure > of Windows XP is Actually a direct VIOLATION of their OWN LEGAL PRIVACY > STATEMENTS! http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm -- Robert List of Lists - http://lists.gpick.com/ Eric Howe's Privacy and Security Site - http://www.staff...

Windows XP question #2
Scenario: Computer A Dell with an Intel PIII 550 mghz cpu 512 mb of ram. Dual WD 40 gig hard drives. multi boot. 2k pro, XP pro Computer B Dell with a P4 1.2 ghz CPU. 256 mb of RAM 1 Seagate 40 gig drive RAM in A is compatible with B What happens if I take the RAM and drives from A and put them in B?? Theoretically 2K or XP should boot, recognize the difference and install necessary drivers. Correct?? tyia -- Steve 95isalive This site is best viewed............ ........................with a computer 95isalive wrote: > Scenario: > > Compute...

Windows XP Question #2
I am running Windows XP Home with Kerio 2.14 firewall. Can anyone tell me why Explorer.exe is trying to contact sa.windows.com? It could be the Windows XP Search Assistant. Read more about it here: http://pctalk.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10 http://www.devhood.com/News/news_details.aspx?news_id=3063 http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=25190 http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-20.html "Ed Keith" <edkeith60@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5hgn6vctbvcqs09rpnjiorpie5akrccatd@4ax.com... > I am running Windows XP Home with Kerio 2.14 f...

Web resources about - Windows XP Question - grc.privacy

James Ashby, Mal Brough question editing of crucial Channel Nine interview about Peter Slipper diary ...
Two central figures in the Peter Slipper diary affair cast doubt on a key interview that aired on Channel Nine last year.

Geraldo Rivera Didn’t Get to Question Pres. Obama in Paris
Fox News host Geraldo Rivera can’t catch a break. He’s in Paris reporting on the aftermath of the terror attacks ( which hit close to home ) ...

Submit Your Questions For Autoblog Podcast #457
Filed under: Podcasts On Episode #457 of the Autoblog Podcast, we'll discuss the just-unveiled Volvo S90, Faraday Future, and this week's news ...

More questions emerge over Trump's 9/11 celebrations claim
Washington Post More questions emerge over Trump's 9/11 celebrations claim CBS News Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is continuing ...

Claims of deleted video among questions in Chicago shooting
Chron.com Claims of deleted video among questions in Chicago shooting Chron.com CHICAGO (AP) — The release of squad-car video showing a white ...

The bigger question about the Fed
While the timing of the first rate hike has long been one of the market's most pressing questions, investors appear to have moved on to another ...

Judge applies common sense to question of what constitutes a data breach
Enterprise security is a frustrating game, because IT winning 99.9% of the time isn’t enough. One lucky cyberthief or one careless employee — ...

Lawmaker Questions Airlines, Plane Manufacturers On Cybersecurity Measures
Eight months after a government report found that airplanes with WiFi connections may be vulnerable to cyber attacks and seven months after a ...

Infamous Miss Teen South Carolina Says She Was Suicidal After ‘Map’ Question
Infamous Miss Teen South Carolina Says She Was Suicidal After ‘Map’ Question