Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Launched!

Largest enterprise launch in company history includes Windows Server 2008,
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008; focuses on
security, Web, virtualization and better business intelligence.

LOS ANGELES - Feb. 27, 2008 - Kicking off more than 225 events around the
world and joined by more than 4,000 customers and partners, Microsoft Corp.'s
Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer today showcased the next generation of
infrastructure and application platform products, including Windows Server
2008, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

The launch represents a major milestone to help customers on the road to
Dynamic IT, Microsoft's initiative to help customers optimize their people,
processes and technology, and in turn position IT as a strategic asset for
their business. These new enterprise products help customers more
efficiently and securely manage their entire infrastructure and move to a
virtualized environment while also delivering business intelligence and
next-generation Web experiences to boost business results. The theme of the
events, "Heroes Happen Here," highlights the outstanding work that IT
professionals, developers and partners do every day to create solutions and
cutting-edge applications that keep global commerce and industry running.

"IT professionals and developers tell us they spend too much time and money
managing existing systems and not enough investing in new capabilities that
create strategic advantage," Ballmer said. "That feedback is at the core of
the innovations in this new wave of products. Already, the overwhelming
response from thousands of IT professionals and developers around the world
is that this is the most secure enterprise platform we have ever delivered,
and that it will simplify management and enable them to focus more on
driving their businesses forward."

Big Benefits for Early Adopters

Researchers at consulting agency Capgemini looked at companies and
institutions in the financial services, education, retail and
high-technology industries using Windows Server 2008 in a mix of geographic
regions. They found that the new operating system quickly adds value to IT
operations through enhancements to management, security and reliability. On
average, deployment duration was reduced by up to 60 percent and IT reduced
costs by up to $124,000 per year. Cost reductions resulted from a wide range
of areas, including the recovery of five IT staff hours per server and 91
percent less downtime. A white paper detailing usage scenarios and providing
more data on the impact of deploying Windows Server 2008 is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/product-information.aspx.

Already IT professionals and developers around the world are using Windows
Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008 and test versions of SQL Server 2008 to
implement more secure platforms and Web applications while reducing costs
and speeding development.

With the introduction of Windows Server 2008, leading global communications
provider Verizon Business will deliver this next-generation platform to its
managed hosting customers worldwide, enabling them to achieve greater
reliability, performance and control over their IT infrastructure. In
addition, Microsoft's advanced Windows Deployment Services suite will allow
Verizon Business to increase the speed of deployments and simplify
management.

"This next-generation technology means a great deal to our enterprise
customers," said Michael Marcellin, vice president of product marketing at
Verizon Business. "Through our long-standing relationship with Microsoft and
as an early adopter of this technology, we are poised to continue to deliver
innovative solutions to customers around the globe that will help them
harness the power of the Internet."

Go Daddy, the largest paid, shared Web hosting provider in North America,
with 27 million domain names under management, is incorporating the new
Windows Server 2008 with Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS7) software
into its Windows hosting product line. In its testing, Go Daddy has seen a
300 percent to 400 percent increase in server performance using the new
technology. The performance gains will allow Go Daddy to run a more
efficient and effective service for its shared hosting customers.

"We are excited to offer this technology to our customers," said Bob
Parsons, CEO and founder of Go Daddy. "With more than 5 million customers
around the globe, Go Daddy prides itself on using cutting-edge technology
that will help enhance Web site performance and provide our customers with a
solid foundation for their IT needs."

At Fidelity National Real Estate Solutions, the combination of Windows
Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 enabled the creation of
a cutting-edge Web site that provides near-instant access to real estate and
neighborhood information about listings for sale, home values, schools and
much more. The site operates significantly faster than was previously
possible and was developed at a much lower cost.

"Not only is the new Web site visually cool - serving up customized content,
3-D aerial views and animations 10 times faster than was possible with older
technologies - but it also was created for approximately $1.4 million less
than it would have cost using other development tools," said Marty Frame,
senior vice president and general manager, Cyberhomes, Fidelity National
Real Estate Solutions. "And, most important, visitors spend an average of 30
minutes on the site per visit, four times the typical average for
competitors' sites."

These companies are just a sampling of the more than 3 million customers
that participated in early feedback programs or as beta testers during
product development.

The performance improvements and enterprise-class features of SQL Server
2008 and Windows Server 2008 have resulted in record-breaking results. Today
Microsoft disclosed new world-record performance results on TPC-E and SAP
Sales and Distribution (SD) Standard Application 3-tier benchmarks running
on four-socket industry-standard blade servers.** Microsoft also published
breakthrough performance benchmarks for several customer scenarios,
including leading results on Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Microsoft Dynamics AX,
Siemens Teamcenter and Camstar Manufacturing Execution Systems.

Microsoft also announced that Microsoft Windows Server 2008 with .NET
Framework 3.5 delivers faster throughput than IBM WebSphere 6.1 on Red Hat
Linux as shown through two new benchmark tests measuring scalability and
performance in mission-critical enterprise scenarios. The sample application
shows 117 percent better throughput of Windows Server using the IBM-designed
Trade 6.1 benchmark; and Sun Microsystems' WSTest Web services benchmark
demonstrates 94 percent better throughput on Windows Server when processing
Web Service requests. More information on the results is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/HHHlaunch/docs/BenchmarkFS.doc.

Partners See Opportunity

Microsoft has worked with more than 1,000 industry partners to help plan,
build, test and deploy leading-edge solutions by providing early access to
code, training and testing, and certification support. Hundreds of
independent software vendors have demonstrated their support with the
development of a wide variety of business applications for industries that
include retail, accounting, commerce, engineering, financial services,
healthcare, supply chain and more. In a related announcement, Microsoft
detailed extensive investments in programs and tools for software and
hardware partners. More information on the announcement is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/feb08/02-26ISVWS08PR.mspx. A
full list of vendors offering applications certified for Windows Server 2008
or pledging to provide support for their applications on Windows Server 2008
can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/hhhlaunch/docs/PartnerWS08FS.doc.

Further demonstrating support for the new products, more than 40 companies
are making announcements today and more than 80 partners are participating
in launch events around the world, including platinum sponsors Advanced
Micro Devices Inc. (AMD), CA, Cisco Systems Inc., Citrix Systems Inc., Dell
Inc., Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Intel Corporation, Quest Software Inc., SAP AG
and Unisys Corp. Highlighting the opportunity for industry partners, a 2007
IDC study* predicts that for every $1 Microsoft earns from Windows Vista and
Windows Server 2008 this year in the U.S., the ecosystem beyond Microsoft -
software and hardware vendors that support or incorporate the products -
will reap about $18 in revenue. In 2008, this ecosystem is predicted to sell
more than $120 billion in products and services revolving around Windows
Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Product Availability and Information

Windows Server 2008, including a beta version of the Hyper-V virtualization
technology, and Visual Studio 2008 are available today. The
feature-complete, February community technology preview of SQL Server 2008
is also available, with general availability expected in the third quarter
of 2008.

Later this year Microsoft will release the Windows Essential Server
Solutions family of products for small and midsize companies built on
Windows Server 2008 and the newest Microsoft server technologies and
services: Windows Small Business Server 2008 and Windows Essential Business
Server 2008. Windows HPC Server 2008, the successor to Windows Compute
Cluster Server 2003, is on track for availability in the second half of 2008
and is designed to increase productivity, scalability and manageability for
high-performance computing scenarios. In addition, Windows Storage Server
2008, the next-generation storage solution based on Windows Server 2008,
will be available by the end of the year.

Additional information on the launch of Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008
and Visual Studio 2008 is available in the virtual pressroom at
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/HHHlaunch/default.mspx.

--
{Einstein}-"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything
that can be counted counts."

0
Johannes
2/27/2008 9:09:21 PM
grc.news.latestversions 8022 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The connection sql server 2008 and microsoft visual the studio 2008
I want to make connection between sql server 2008 and microsoft visual studio 2008, but I have a problem, the problem is "The server version is not supported. Only servers up to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 are supported" and then my question are 1. How steps to make connection between sql server 2008 and microsoft visual studio 2008 2. The example source code to insert, update, delete in microsoft visual studio 2008 with database sql server 2008 Thank you... Click on the Learn link in the menu at the top of this page.  Follow the Data Access tutorials. JeffPlease: Do...

Installing Team Foundation Server 2008 with SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008
 Hi,Can Anyone tell me that Is SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition Compatible to work with Team Foundation Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008...I am trying to install TFS 2008.I have installed IIS,SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition,Install and Configure Windows Sharepoint 3.0 successfully... but During installation of TFS 2008 during System health Check its telling SQL Server version incompatible.PLz Reply its urgent... Somnath Try installing TFS 2008 packaged with SP1. Here is more info:http://blogs.msdn.com/aabdou/archive/2008/05/13/team-foundation-server-sp1-beta-now-available.a...

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

Visual Studio 2008 and SQL-Server 2008
I tried to add a database file to an exsiting Website project. i get this error."connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly."Installed products are Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit Visual Studio 2008 SP1SQL-Server 2008 DeveloperHowever creating a data connection to a database attached with the server is not a problem.Is there a workaround to this issue?__________________________________________Thomas Wrobelwaslos.de You may open your Machine.Config file (the file is in %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ver. number\C...

Windows Server 2008 / SQL Express 2005 / Visual Studio 2008 / Authentication / ASP.NET 2.0.50727
Hello, Two weeks ago I installed Windows Server 2008 standard on my home computer, Installed all updates service packs, etc.  I then installed Visual Studio 2008 and installed all updates and service packs, etc. and began to write a website.  I'm using C# with forms authentication.  I am using standard login, loginview controls provided with Visual Studio 2008. When I run run the application from http://localhost I am able to log in successfully. When I run my application from http://boebot.karleldridge.com I am not able to log in successfully, however, I am able t...

problem with sql server 2008 and visual studio 2008
Hi, i hv installed SQL Server 2008 (Code Name Katmai),  On my Windows XP SP-2. i was able to Connect with Sql Server (Database Engine) .Later I install VS 2008 , Full Install. after that i am not able to Connect with Sql server but Server Name. i am getting fallowing Error =================================== Cannot connect to ZING. =================================== A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (.N...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

How to use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition ?
I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express in my PC, and remain Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, but when I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition to open a exist website made by Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition + SQL 2005 Express, I get the following error, how can I do? thanks! "The server version is not supported. You must have Microsoft SQL Server 2005 beta 2 or later."   BTW, can both Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005  run simultaneously on one PC?SuperCool Multiple ZIP...

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack CTP, February 2008
Brief Description Download the February 2008 Feature Pack Community Technology Preview (CTP) for Microsoft SQL Server 2008, a collection of stand-alone install packages that provide additional value for SQL Server 2008. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d68de3c9-60a9-49c9-a28c-5c46bbc3356f&DisplayLang=en -- {Einstein}-"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." ...

Suitable Operating system for Visual Studio 2008 and Sql Server 2008
 Hi, i need information about Suitable Operating system for Visual Studio 2008 and Sql Server 2008... it support all feature and functionality.. can any one answer that will be really appreciated. Regards,Stephen. stephen  HI, I think windows xp (service pack 2) is the best choice. you can try windows vista also. If you get correct answer, mark it as "Answered" to help otherswww.thecodemaker.com Any of XP, 2003, Vista or 2008 will work.Clearly 2003 and 2008 being servers have the advantages of having full IIS and all the other server bits, thus developi...

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
What is the System Update Readiness Tool? System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies might be caused by various hardware failures or might be caused by software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. The System Update Readiness Tool tries to resolve these inconsistencies. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821 -- "If U know neither the enemy nor y...

Microsoft Server and Tools support for Windows Server 2008
I have had a number of customers and partners asking what "Microsoft" products will be supported at the Windows Server 2008 at launch and beyond? Fair question and below is the current status. I have placed them into four categories, RTM, H1 2008, H2 2008 and not supported. Hope this helps. What will support Windows Server 2008 at RTM? a.. .NET Framework 2.0 (installed) b.. .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 ( part of Application Server role ) c.. .NET Framework 3.5 d.. Dynamics CRM 4.0 e.. Exchange Server 2007 SP1 f.. Forefront Security Server 1.0 g.. MOSS SP1 ...

A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Expres
 Hello,          I'm trying to install VS2008 SP1 on Vista Ultimate but I receive this error "A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Express editions." Either I download the installer from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBEE1648-7106-44A7-9649-6D9F6D58056E&displaylang=en) or after downloading the ISO from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Web resources about - Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Launched! - grc.news.latestversions

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message