Firefox 2.0.0.2 #2

Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.

Leif Lagerstedt

0
Leif
2/23/2007 8:39:49 PM
grc.news.latestversions 8022 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
> Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.

Why?

Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?

Just curious...

--
Steve.
Please reply to the group. From/ReplyTo are invalid.
Screwball wrote:
> Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
>> Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.
>
> Why?
>
> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>
> Just curious...

Prefers to live dangerously whenever possible . . . ?

--

Daze
0
Daze N. Knights wrote:
> Screwball wrote:
>> Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
>>> Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>>
>> Just curious...
>>

> Prefers to live dangerously whenever possible . . . ?

My thoughts exactly...

--
Steve.
Please reply to the group. From/ReplyTo are invalid.
0
Screwball
2/23/2007 9:49:58 PM
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:31:09 -0800, Daze N. Knights said:

> Screwball wrote:
>> Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
>>> Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>>
>> Just curious...
>>

> Prefers to live dangerously whenever possible . . . ?

....or because it still isn't available from the source? My 2.0.0.1 is
still failing to find any update. Will try again tomorrow.

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

160160 wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:31:09 -0800, Daze N. Knights said:
>> Screwball wrote:
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>>>
>>> Just curious...
>>>
>> Prefers to live dangerously whenever possible . . . ?
>
> ....or because it still isn't available from the source? My 2.0.0.1 is
> still failing to find any update. Will try again tomorrow.

Maybe a localization thing? I just checked from a VM and got this:
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2841/updatetr2.png
EN-US here...
0
Dennis
2/23/2007 10:44:14 PM
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:44:14 -0500, Dennis Henderson said:

> Maybe a localization thing? I just checked from a VM and got this:
> http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2841/updatetr2.png
> EN-US here...

EN-US here too (I think). But I went off to bed, and this morning it
found, downloaded and installed 2.0.0.2. AND it didn't have to disable
any extensions this time.

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

"Screwball" <me@some-isp.invalid> wrote in message
> Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
> > Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.
>
> Why?
>
> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>
> Just curious...
>
> --
> Steve.

Because the source was not available, no update there. Besides, what is
wrong with Filehippo?

Leif Lagerstedt

0
Leif
2/24/2007 10:11:47 AM
Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
> "Screwball" <me@some-isp.invalid> wrote in message
>> Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
>>> Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.
>> Why?
>>
>> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>>
>> Just curious...
>>
> Because the source was not available, no update there. Besides, what is
> wrong with Filehippo?

Nothing that I'm aware of, but then, I don't believe I've ever used that
site.
There have been instances, in the past, of that kind of "collection"
site having their copies of well known programs being deliberately
infected with viruses/adware/you name it (not /by/ the sites of course).
I simply prefer to go to the source and if what I want isn't yet
available I'll wait until it is. </paranoid>

--
Steve.
Please reply to the group. From/ReplyTo are invalid.
0
Screwball
2/24/2007 10:28:18 AM
Leif Lagerstedt wrote:

> Besides, what is wrong with Filehippo?

It isn't Mozilla. Are you also in the habit of downloading Windows
patches from a third party? Besides, it skews the download counters.
0
Dennis
2/24/2007 11:17:34 AM
In grc.news.latestversions, Leif Lagerstedt wrote:

>Besides, what is wrong with Filehippo?

They often "jump the gun" against the software provider's wishes. I
rarely use them and only then if I just have to be the "first kid on
the block" to have the new toy.

As DH said, downloading from the source is an intelligent policy.

--
js
0
Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
> "Screwball" <me@some-isp.invalid> wrote in message
>> Leif Lagerstedt wrote:
>>> Firefox 2.0.0.2 just out. I downloaded from Filehippo.
>> Why?
>>
>> Meaning "Why d/l from filehippo when you can get it from the source"?
>>
>> Just curious...
>>
>> --
>> Steve.
>
> Because the source was not available, no update there. Besides, what is
> wrong with Filehippo?
>
> Leif Lagerstedt

One thing I really like with Filehippo is their RSS feed. Very
convenient way of seeing what has been updated lately, without having to
separately check on every program's site.

--
Henri P.
0

> One thing I really like with Filehippo is their RSS feed. Very
> convenient way of seeing what has been updated lately, without having to
> separately check on every program's site.
>
> --
> Henri P.

I agree. My experience of Filehippo is that they are serious. I have
downloaded programmes from them for at least a year now and nothing bad has
happened. It is much more convenient, just download the file you want
without having to go through all the motions of the source. Downloading
Adobe Reader without all the extras for instance.

I somehow got the impression that using Filehippo breaks some rule of
computer political correctness. The only stuff I download from Microsoft is
the monthly security patches by manual downloading and then I check each one
to see if I need it.  I use W2k Pro and yet MS has tried a few times to
sneak in WGA (Should be WGD, ....Windows Genuine Disadvantage).

Leif Lagerstedt

0
Leif
2/24/2007 4:16:45 PM
160160 wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:44:14 -0500, Dennis Henderson said:
>
>> Maybe a localization thing? I just checked from a VM and got this:
>> http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2841/updatetr2.png
>> EN-US here...
>
> EN-US here too (I think). But I went off to bed, and this morning it
> found, downloaded and installed 2.0.0.2. AND it didn't have to disable
> any extensions this time.

That's good news. 2.0.0.1 did warn me it would disable one or two
add-ons but after restart they still worked.

Most stuff I want is built into series 2 tho, so I only have the need
for 3 or so add-ons, like

Auto Copy
Download Statusbar
Faster Fox

Can't live without those :)

Stylish is cool but I don't have the energy to update it for each site.

BTW does 2.0.0.7 come with free champagne?

--
..::[ Hz ]::.
0
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:47:11 +0000, 160160 said:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:44:14 -0500, Dennis Henderson said:
>
>> Maybe a localization thing? I just checked from a VM and got this:
>> http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2841/updatetr2.png
>> EN-US here...
>
> EN-US here too (I think). But I went off to bed, and this morning it
> found, downloaded and installed 2.0.0.2. AND it didn't have to disable
> any extensions this time.

And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
installed when FF is restarted. Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a
whole day already, and I have it set to check for updates manually, NOT
automatically, I assume this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it
installing next time I start FF ?

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

In grc.news.latestversions, 160160 wrote:

>And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
>saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
>installed when FF is restarted. Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a
>whole day already, and I have it set to check for updates manually, NOT
>automatically, I assume this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it
>installing next time I start FF ?

I had a slightly similar experience. See
<http://www.12078.com/groups/news.latestversions:22128>

I suggest that you manually do a Check for Updates to see what
happens.

--
js
0
Hz wrote:

> BTW does 2.0.0.7 come with free champagne?

8-)

0
Dennis
2/25/2007 3:59:29 AM
160160 wrote:
> And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
> saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
> installed when FF is restarted.

The auto-update is rolled out in stages to spread out the load on the
mirror sites and the default is to check every 24 hours - that's the
reason for the "24 to 48 hour" window - so I don't think your 12 hour
delay is all that unusual in itself

> Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a whole day already, and I have
> it set to check for updates manually, NOT automatically, I assume
> this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it installing next time I
> start FF ?

I don't know of an easy way to stop it short of uninstalling Firefox and
deleting the program folder. The patch is at least staged if not already
performed and I haven't researched the intermediate steps from the time
the patch is downloaded/staged and when it actually patches firefox.exe,
so I don't know what files it creates or which would have to be deleted.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that malware is involved, though. You
might look at prefs.js in a text editor to see if auto-update really is
disabled. Are 'app.update.auto' and 'app.update.enabled" both false?
0
Dennis
2/25/2007 4:25:52 AM
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:25:52 -0500, Dennis Henderson said:

> 160160 wrote:
>> And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
>> saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
>> installed when FF is restarted.
>
> The auto-update is rolled out in stages to spread out the load on the
> mirror sites and the default is to check every 24 hours - that's the
> reason for the "24 to 48 hour" window - so I don't think your 12 hour
> delay is all that unusual in itself

No, but I hadn't expected it to want to update an already updated
version. I see jss had a similar experience.

>> Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a whole day already, and I have
>> it set to check for updates manually, NOT automatically, I assume
>> this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it installing next time I
>> start FF ?
>
> I don't know of an easy way to stop it short of uninstalling Firefox and
> deleting the program folder. The patch is at least staged if not already
> performed and I haven't researched the intermediate steps from the time
> the patch is downloaded/staged and when it actually patches firefox.exe,
> so I don't know what files it creates or which would have to be deleted.
>
> I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that malware is involved, though. You
> might look at prefs.js in a text editor to see if auto-update really is
> disabled. Are 'app.update.auto' and 'app.update.enabled" both false?

'app.update.auto' was true, but I have just now toggled if to false (I
still have FF open from last night, so as not get a restart. I dropped
the ADSL connection, then reconnected this morning), and
'app.updated.enabled' was already false. So the little tick boxes don't
actually do anything, I guess :(

Wish I had stuck with FF 0.8. Firefox was so much better then.

(Formerly Mister Hucker)
(And about to be an Opera user, it seems)

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:06:32 -0800, john .s. smith said:

> In grc.news.latestversions, 160160 wrote:
>
>>And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
>>saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
>>installed when FF is restarted. Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a
>>whole day already, and I have it set to check for updates manually, NOT
>>automatically, I assume this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it
>>installing next time I start FF ?
>
> I had a slightly similar experience. See
> <http://www.12078.com/groups/news.latestversions:22128>

I had missed the second part of your adventure, so didn't register the
similarity. All very strange.

> I suggest that you manually do a Check for Updates to see what
> happens.

Can't. The option changes to 'Apply downloaded update now' so I am
blocked from checking. Mozilla must have taken on some Microsoft guys, I
reckon :(

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:26:22 +0000, 160160 said:

As suggested by DH to jss, I deleted active-update.xml and updates.xml,
then deleted the updates folder entirely. Restarted FF, and no updating
occurred. The manual check for updates now tells me no update is
available.

So I seem to have escaped, but my confidence in FF is much damaged.

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

160160 wrote:
> 'app.update.auto' was true, but I have just now toggled if to false (I
> still have FF open from last night, so as not get a restart. I dropped
> the ADSL connection, then reconnected this morning), and
> 'app.updated.enabled' was already false. So the little tick boxes don't
> actually do anything, I guess :(

That combination, app.update.auto=true and app.update.enabled=false is
what you'd have with "Automatically check for updates" turned off and
"Automatically download and install the update" turned on - it sounds
like the update was 'authorized' (for lack of a better term) when you
first did "Help > Check for Updates" but I don't understand the part
about updating an already-updated installation.
0
Dennis
2/25/2007 11:57:32 AM
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 06:57:32 -0500, Dennis Henderson said:

> 160160 wrote:
>> 'app.update.auto' was true, but I have just now toggled if to false (I
>> still have FF open from last night, so as not get a restart. I dropped
>> the ADSL connection, then reconnected this morning), and
>> 'app.updated.enabled' was already false. So the little tick boxes don't
>> actually do anything, I guess :(
>
> That combination, app.update.auto=true and app.update.enabled=false is
> what you'd have with "Automatically check for updates" turned off and
> "Automatically download and install the update" turned on - it sounds
> like the update was 'authorized' (for lack of a better term) when you
> first did "Help > Check for Updates" but I don't understand the part
> about updating an already-updated installation.

You don't understand what I mean, or you don't understand what it did ?

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

160160 wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:26:22 +0000, 160160 said:
>
> As suggested by DH to jss, I deleted active-update.xml and updates.xml,
> then deleted the updates folder entirely. Restarted FF, and no updating
> occurred. The manual check for updates now tells me no update is
> available.

I wasn't sure that would work in your situation and had no way to test
it so I didn't suggest it. Thanks for verifying that it worked. So you
have 2.0.0.2 now and Firefox no longer prompts for an update, right?
0
Dennis
2/25/2007 12:14:00 PM
160160 wrote:

> You don't understand what I mean, or you don't understand what it did ?

I'm not sure I understand either one any more. I'm not even sure I'm not
mixing up who has experienced which problem and when at this point.
0
Dennis
2/25/2007 12:18:47 PM
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 07:14:00 -0500, Dennis Henderson said:

> 160160 wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:26:22 +0000, 160160 said:
>>
>> As suggested by DH to jss, I deleted active-update.xml and updates.xml,
>> then deleted the updates folder entirely. Restarted FF, and no updating
>> occurred. The manual check for updates now tells me no update is
>> available.
>
> I wasn't sure that would work in your situation and had no way to test
> it so I didn't suggest it. Thanks for verifying that it worked. So you
> have 2.0.0.2 now and Firefox no longer prompts for an update, right?

Yes. But I had 2.0.0.2 before the attempted automatic update too. I did
a manual search for updates on Friday night, but there was no update, it
said. First thing Saturday, I did another search, which found the
update. Which downloaded and installed as smoothly as something smooth.
I then used FF all day (having restarted it, obviously) without aggro.
Then, last night, while looking at pictures on alt.binaries.rail, up
popped the message that an update had been found and downloaded and
would be installed next restart. FF was happily reporting its version as
2.0.0.2 from yesterday morning, so why it tried to update again, 12
hours later, is what is really puzzling me.

I am wondering whether the early versions of the update were in some way
defective, and whether I therefore really need the later version, which,
of course, I can no longer get.

If anyone else who upgraded early was then offered the same upgrade late
yesterday, maybe they could post ?

And, as this is getting OT for latestversions, I have set followups to
techtalk.

(Formerly Mister Hucker)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:31:13 +0000, 160160 <Rudolf@example.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:06:32 -0800, john .s. smith said:
>
>> In grc.news.latestversions, 160160 wrote:
>>
>>>And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
>>>saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
>>>installed when FF is restarted. Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a
>>>whole day already, and I have it set to check for updates manually, NOT
>>>automatically, I assume this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it
>>>installing next time I start FF ?
>>
>> I had a slightly similar experience. See
>> <http://www.12078.com/groups/news.latestversions:22128>
>
>I had missed the second part of your adventure, so didn't register the
>similarity. All very strange.
>
>> I suggest that you manually do a Check for Updates to see what
>> happens.
>
>Can't. The option changes to 'Apply downloaded update now' so I am
>blocked from checking. Mozilla must have taken on some Microsoft guys, I
>reckon :(

Don't know if this will help with your issue.
I think I upgraded too early also. FF would start and an error box would
pop up stating I was missing an active X file. Couldn't figure it out,
so the next morning I downloaded the full version and installed over the
exisiting one and everything was fine.

--
 Buzz
0
In grc.news.latestversions, 160160 wrote:

>If anyone else who upgraded early was then offered the same upgrade late
>yesterday, maybe they could post ?

I updated as soon as it was offered via Check for Updates (15 minutes
earlier a check showed no update available) but my problem was
different than yours. Similar only in that it showed the version as
2.0.0.2 yet said an update was available (without my using Check for
Updates).

--
js
0
In grc.news.latestversions, 160160 wrote:

>Mozilla must have taken on some Microsoft guys, I
>reckon :(

LMAO!

--
js
0
Buzz wrote:
> I think I upgraded too early also. FF would start and an error box would
> pop up stating I was missing an active X file. Couldn't figure it out,
> so the next morning I downloaded the full version and installed over the
> exisiting one and everything was fine.

Doubly strange since Firefox doesn't know ActiveX from Shinola.
0
Dennis
2/25/2007 4:06:20 PM
In grc.news.latestversions, Dennis Henderson wrote:

>Buzz wrote:
>> I think I upgraded too early also. FF would start and an error box would
>> pop up stating I was missing an active X file. Couldn't figure it out,
>> so the next morning I downloaded the full version and installed over the
>> exisiting one and everything was fine.
>
>Doubly strange since Firefox doesn't know ActiveX from Shinola.

Must have been those MS guys RH was talking about. ;)

--
js
0
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:06:20 -0500, Dennis Henderson <.@.> wrote:

>Buzz wrote:
>> I think I upgraded too early also. FF would start and an error box would
>> pop up stating I was missing an active X file. Couldn't figure it out,
>> so the next morning I downloaded the full version and installed over the
>> exisiting one and everything was fine.
>
>Doubly strange since Firefox doesn't know ActiveX from Shinola.

Yea I know,,

What's more,, If I then started IE, left it open and started FF it was
ok. Closed FF, closed IE, started FF and got the same error. Even after
a reboot.
For the lack of anything making any sense, I just waited until the full
install was up and grabbed it and did a full install.
I expected to have to restore to an earlier time, so I didn't do any
trouble shooting beyond that.
I had way too much other work related stuff I had to get done at the
time.

--
 Buzz
0
Dennis Henderson wrote:

> 160160 wrote:
> > And this evening (almost exactly 12 hours later) up pops a message
> > saying that FF has downloaded an update, 2.0.0.2, which will be
> > installed when FF is restarted.
>
> The auto-update is rolled out in stages to spread out the load on the
> mirror sites and the default is to check every 24 hours - that's the
> reason for the "24 to 48 hour" window - so I don't think your 12 hour
> delay is all that unusual in itself
>
> > Since FF has been 2.0.0.2 for almost a whole day already, and I have
> > it set to check for updates manually, NOT automatically, I assume
> > this is a malware intrusion. How do I stop it installing next time I
> > start FF ?
>
> I don't know of an easy way to stop it short of uninstalling Firefox and
> deleting the program folder. The patch is at least staged if not already
> performed and I haven't researched the intermediate steps from the time
> the patch is downloaded/staged and when it actually patches firefox.exe,
> so I don't know what files it creates or which would have to be deleted.
>
> I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that malware is involved, though. You
> might look at prefs.js in a text editor to see if auto-update really is
> disabled. Are 'app.update.auto' and 'app.update.enabled" both false?

I just deleted the update file in the update folder before restarting FF.
Figured I'll get it later if it turns out to be legit.
I too had a reference to an active-x folder of some kind.

0
brodick
2/26/2007 2:18:39 AM
160160 wrote:
> ...or because it still isn't available from the source? My 2.0.0.1 is
> still failing to find any update. Will try again tomorrow.

approaching 48 hours since when this was posted and i still dont get an
update dialogue, even when manually going check for updates

didn't want to wait, went and manually downloaded from getfirefox.com

if it's a localisation thing, im in Australia and manually changed
general.useragent.locale to en_AU
0
Daniel
2/26/2007 5:07:42 AM
Daniel Stojanov wrote:
> if it's a localisation thing, im in Australia and manually changed
> general.useragent.locale to en_AU

How long ago did you make that change? There are 41 localized versions
of Firefox including en-GB and en-US but none for en-AU, that might be
the problem...  I dunno...  Those 41 localizations are listed here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html
0
Dennis
2/26/2007 5:25:07 AM
Buzz wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:06:20 -0500, Dennis Henderson <.@.> wrote:
>
>>Buzz wrote:
>>
>>>I think I upgraded too early also. FF would start and an error box would
>>>pop up stating I was missing an active X file. Couldn't figure it out,
>>>so the next morning I downloaded the full version and installed over the
>>>exisiting one and everything was fine.
>>
>>Doubly strange since Firefox doesn't know ActiveX from Shinola.
>
> What's more,, If I then started IE, left it open and started FF it was
> ok. Closed FF, closed IE, started FF and got the same error. Even after
> a reboot.

Are any of you who are getting ActiveX errors using IE Tab?

  https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

I have seen posts from others with IE-like errors that eventually
atributed the problem to IE Tab. For example, clearing the cache/history
in FF has no affect on content displayed with IE Tab. It uses the
Windows (IE) cache and internet temporary files.

Or the ActiveX plugin for Firefox?

  http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

I won't even comment on what I think of this from a conceptual
standpoint. [vbg]

BTW, just to be clear, when you /start/ IE, you are talking about the IE
GUI. In reality, IE starts when Windows starts. Another reason to keep
IE locked-down when not in use, specifically ActiveX and Java disabled.

Ron :)
0
Ron
2/26/2007 7:01:10 AM
Dennis Henderson wrote:

> Daniel Stojanov wrote:
>
>>if it's a localisation thing, im in Australia and manually changed
>>general.useragent.locale to en_AU
>
> How long ago did you make that change? There are 41 localized versions
> of Firefox including en-GB and en-US but none for en-AU, that might be
> the problem...  I dunno...  Those 41 localizations are listed here:
>
> http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html

I tried all of my browsers before I found one that would actually
display that page.

World's Worst Web Browser

  http://bobm01.sasktelwebsite.net/www-browser/www-browser.htm

In all other browsers, I ended up here.

  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

And that page displays differently dependent upon whether Javascript is
enabled or not. With Javascript disabled, that list ends up in a
drop-down in the lower right corner of the page that will eventually
take you (or, at least me) to the Oregon State University mirror.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0.0.2/

Thanks for the link, Dennis.

Ron :)
0
Ron
2/26/2007 7:27:55 AM
Ron Lopshire wrote:

> In all other browsers, I ended up here.
>
>   http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

The page sniffs your UA string for the localization bits to display the
appropriate language - that's why I left out the en-US part. I thought
it would work properly regardless of the browser but apparently not...

> And that page displays differently dependent upon whether Javascript is
> enabled or not. With Javascript disabled, that list ends up in a
> drop-down in the lower right corner of the page that will eventually
> take you (or, at least me) to the Oregon State University mirror.

I never noticed that - Mozilla is one of the handful of sites I have
whitelisted in NoScript. I'll find a better list. Thanks for the tip.
0
Dennis
2/26/2007 9:58:16 AM
In grc.news.latestversions, Ron Lopshire wrote:

>BTW, just to be clear, when you /start/ IE, you are talking about the IE
>GUI. In reality, IE starts when Windows starts. Another reason to keep
>IE locked-down when not in use, specifically ActiveX and Java disabled.

That subject deserves a thread of it's own.

--
js
0

Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: badidea Email: very_bad_ideaathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I don't know what changed since 2.0.0.1 but the new releases (2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3) seem very buggy. Random crashes, slow responses and additionally problems with administrator rights. I had similar problems on 2 out of 2 systems. Best solution for me (and probably a lot of other users) is to go back to 2.0.0.1 and disable automatic update. Success! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2....

Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2?
Name: Russell Nelson Email: rnelsonatgenedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2? Comments: I am currently using a version of Firefox with the version number of 2.0.0.3. This is the second time that I have been told that it has now been updated to a newer version of Firefox with a version number of 2.0.0.2. I assume that 2.0.0.3 is newer (and better) than version 2.0.0.2. How can I stop this "update"? Russ Nelson 650-225-7212 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070...

2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure #2
Name: firefox_fan Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure Comments: The new update fails to install other than in admin mode (Windows XP SP2). Now every time I start Firefox (other than admin mode), it tries to update but fails due to lack of privileges. Let me know how to over come this problem. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

superreview requested: [Bug 375710] Firefox wants to downgrade to 2.0.0. 2 from 2.0.0.3 #2
Benjamin Smedberg [:bs] (bsmedberg@) <benjamin@smedbergs.us> has asked Seth Spitzer [:ss] (away until 4/30) <sspitzer@mozilla.com> for superreview: Bug 375710: Firefox wants to downgrade to 2.0.0.2 from 2.0.0.3 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375710 Attachment 262259: Normalize to longnames using a dirprovider, and add debugging code, rev. 1.1 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=262259&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Benjamin Smedberg [:bs] (bsmedberg@) <benjamin@smedbergs.us> Updated with comments, I'm going to comm...

Firefox 2.0.0.2 & 2.0.0.3 niggly problem
I just upgraded both my desktop and my laptop to FF v2.0.0.2 a couple days ago. Both began doing the same annoying thing. When I click a URL shortcut on my desktop or a link in my newsreader, an error box pops up saying "File http://blahblahblah or one of its components not found. Make sure the path and filename are correct." Then FF goes ahead and loads the page. This doesn't happen if FF is already running. If it's not running, it happens every time. I just downloaded 2.0.0.3. Same story. Any clues? -- Dale Beckett Dale Beckett wrote:...

firefox 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.2 download window problem
I am having a problem with the download options in the browser. Hope I can explain this correctly so it makes sense. I went to "options" "download" and tried changing it there for various settings with no change. Problem just started with 2.0.01 and unfortunately the browser updated to 2.0.0.2 before I could stop it but problems still there. My other computer works fine with both versions so I think something got corrupted but don't know what or how to fix it. I don't want to uninstall FF and reinstall it and lose all my bookmarks. Is there a r...

2.0.0.2 #2
Name: deniz atilla Email: denizatilla87atyahoodotcom.tr Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 Comments: Hi, I have just heard that you support Kurdish Language in Firefox. I think that it will be problematic situation for you. Did you research that this Kurdish language is not real? In Turkey, Turkish people are not against this language, but this time, it will be a chaos. Maybe you do not know who you serve. I want to you to rethink this issue and take back it. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; tr; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10 ...

Update between 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: John P Wright Email: klemnoctraatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Update between 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I have been reminded at regular intervals ( when online) by a pop up indicating that upgrade to 2.0.0.3 is recommended. I have now performed this exercise twice but the reminder pop up keeps re-appearing. Also the 'about Mozilla Firefox' tab persists in indicating that I am running 2.0.0.2 The update appeared in both cases to download and update without error or information on any problem found. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win...

2.0.0.2 to version 2.0.0.3
Name: Ed Strait Email: estraitateds-placedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to version 2.0.0.3 Comments: A week or so ago I was prompted to download and install version 2.0.0.3 as an upgrade from 2.0.0.2. I selected the upgrade and was running the ..3 version since. This morning, out of now where, it downloaded the .2 version and ask to to install which it looked as if I had no choice. After it restarted it was showing that I was running the .2. I then went and checked for any updates and it found the .3 again and installed it. Now I'm back to the .3 again. Any rea...

Upgraded from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.2???
Just downloaded a FireFox prompted update. I was running 2.0.0.3. The downloaded update is 2.0.0.2 ... seems to me that's a step backwards ... is there a reason? On May 16, 1:45 pm, Dean Kay <dean...@earthlink.net> wrote: > Just downloaded a FireFox prompted update. I was running 2.0.0.3. The > downloaded update is 2.0.0.2 ... seems to me that's a step backwards ... > is there a reason? I had a weird instance today, where Firefox locked up (no, that's not weird...lol) on Vista, and so Vista did the "checking for problems" process, and then...

Upgrading from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.2???
Hi all, My Firefox was upgraded to 2.0.0.3 last week. However, last night I got a pop-up window informing me that I have just received 2.0.0.2 as an update. What is going on? Regards, alex ozgwei@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > My Firefox was upgraded to 2.0.0.3 last week. > > However, last night I got a pop-up window informing me that I have > just received 2.0.0.2 as an update. > > What is going on? > > Regards, > alex > Did you have 2.0.0.2 and updated to 2.0.0.3, and are not getting messages about 2.0.0.2? Lee ...

Update from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3
Name: Alexander Wijnhamer Email: arvwijnhameratlycosdotnl Product: Firefox Summary: Update from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 Comments: I get a pop-up that: "Firefox was unable to verify the integrity of the incremental update it downloaded, so it is now downloading the complete update package" However the counter is at 4 of 4 kb and has been for 5 minutes now. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.6 Reverts back to 2.0.0.5 reinstalls 2.0.0.6, wipes out user settings
Firefox is turning into a piece of crap. First, there is only 1 profile, the default profile. Second, after the first 2.0.0.6 update wiped out the profile settings (again), the automatic check for updates was turned off. This morning the customized profile settings went MIA again, Firefox decided it was version 2.0.0.5 (per the help, about firefox) and automatically downloaded 2.0.0.6; even though 2.0.0.6 had already been installed on July 31. It now thinks it is 2.0.0.6, the home page and other profile settings have been reset, and automatic updates turned off for everyt...

Web resources about - Firefox 2.0.0.2 #2 - grc.news.latestversions

Firefox Affiliates

Firefox OS
The latest news about Firefox OS

Techarger Firefox

Firefox Flicks : Winners

Firefox Beta Launches Social API With Facebook Messenger As Initial Partner
As originally announced earlier this month by Firefox parent Mozilla , the beta test of the Web browser’s Social API launched Monday with Facebook ...