upgrading from firefox 1.0 to firefox 1.0.1

followup to grc.techtalk
upgrading from firefox 1.0 to firefox 1.0.1
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007689.html
Steps for upgrading from Firefox 1.0 to Firefox 1.0.1
Automatic Update (Windows only)
Windows users
   1. Before beginning the update, be sure to complete any work you're doing
in Firefox 1.0 and close any extra tabs or windows you may have open.
   2. If you see a small red icon update icon on the right end of your
menubar, click that. If you don't see the icon, then follow these steps:
         1. Go to the Tools menu on the menubar and select the Options...
menu item.
         2. In the Options window, select the Advanced icon.
         3. Scroll down to the Software Update section and press the Check
Now button.
   3. You should see a Critical Updates (1) item and a checkbox with the
label Firefox 1.0.1(en-US) Software Update. If you do not see this, skip to
the Manual Installation steps below.
   4. Press the Install Now button.
   5. Wait for the installing updates progress meter to finish
   6. Follow the instructions in the Firefox setup wizard.
   7. You will get one or possibly two Attention dialogs informing you that
you must first close Firefox before proceeding with the install. This is
normal. Select OK when prompted.
   8. When the install completes, you may wish to uncheck the Use Firefox
Start as my Home Page checkbox. If you leave this checked, your home page
will be set to the default Firefox Start page.
   9. Press the Finish button to complete the install.
  10. To launch Firefox, double-click on the Firefox desktop icon or any
other shortcuts you may have.
  11. To verify that you have successfully updated Firefox to the 1.0.1
version, launch Firefox and select About Mozilla Firefox on the Help menu.
Confirm that it says Firefox version 1.0.1.
  12. At this point, you may wish to delete the Firefox Setup 1.0.1.exe file
from your desktop. Should you have problems at any time during the
automatic update, you can use this file to run the manual install. See the
Manual Installation steps below.
Note: there are a few issues with automatic update which we hope to have
corrected by the next release.
[...]
More: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007689.html
See also: Firefox update not so automatic
<http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000543.html>
Unquote

Kayode Okeyode
http://del.icio.us/kayodeok
0
kayodeok
3/6/2005 11:16:56 PM
📁 grc.linkfarm
📃 6478 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 12 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2955 Views

1. Download Opera.
2. Install it.

..
..
..

You know the story, couldn't resist...  :)

0
saturnine
3/7/2005 4:53:03 AM
Don't be fooled by the number of steps in the description of how to
upgrade from 1.0 to 1.0.1. They described it in the finest detail,
almost to the point of describing each screen that you will see during
the installation process. The description is merely thorough, which is
refreshing in the face of installers that don't tell you what it's doing
until it's too late.
As for my experience upgrading, it took 5 minutes. And that includes
download time and didn't include using the automatic update feature.
0
Lisa
3/7/2005 5:23:34 AM
Lisa wrote:
> Don't be fooled by the number of steps in the description of how to
> upgrade from 1.0 to 1.0.1. They described it in the finest detail,
> almost to the point of describing each screen that you will see during
> the installation process. The description is merely thorough, which is
> refreshing in the face of installers that don't tell you what it's
> doing until it's too late.
>
> As for my experience upgrading, it took 5 minutes. And that includes
> download time and didn't include using the automatic update feature.
I use Opera and Firefox both, and updating the latter to 1.0.1 was very
easy for me.  Just levity, nothing more.  :)
--
STOP 0x0000001Y: NO_ONE_HEARS_YOUR_SCREAMS

0
saturnine
3/7/2005 6:47:59 AM
kayodeok wrote:
> upgrading from firefox 1.0 to firefox 1.0.1

> Steps for upgrading from Firefox 1.0 to Firefox 1.0.1
>
> Automatic Update (Windows only)
>
> Windows users
>
>    1. Before beginning the update, be sure to complete any work you're doing
> in Firefox 1.0 and close any extra tabs or windows you may have open.
SNIP!
>   12. At this point, you may wish to delete the Firefox Setup 1.0.1.exe file
> from your desktop. Should you have problems at any time during the
> automatic update, you can use this file to run the manual install. See the
> Manual Installation steps below.
> Unquote
Wouldn't this be easier?
1. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and uninstall Firefox.
2. Download and install the latest Firefox.
0
Kerry
3/7/2005 5:12:55 PM
> Wouldn't this be easier?
>
> 1. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and uninstall Firefox.
>
> 2. Download and install the latest Firefox.
That works real well and has the added benefit
of not leaving 2 uninstall lines in add/remove
programs, which is a known bug and is what
happens when installing over the old version.
0
Pen
3/7/2005 6:32:51 PM
Pen wrote:
>> Wouldn't this be easier?
>>
>> 1. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and uninstall Firefox.
>>
>> 2. Download and install the latest Firefox.
>

> That works real well and has the added benefit
> of not leaving 2 uninstall lines in add/remove
> programs, which is a known bug and is what
> happens when installing over the old version.
Lol! I hadn't noticed that before. I have 3 uninstall lines for Firefox
(1.0PR is the third) and 2 for Thunderbird. :-(
--
Tony.P
0
"Tony.P" <nospam@home.pse> wrote in news:d0id67$c24$1@news.grc.com:
> Lol! I hadn't noticed that before. I have 3 uninstall lines for Firefox
> (1.0PR is the third) and 2 for Thunderbird. :-(
This may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
mikkl
0
mikkl
3/9/2005 12:52:16 AM
mikkl <nospamhere@mikkl.com> wrote in
> This may help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
Just for grins I decided to give this a try.
Apparently MS has decided that they don't want you to clean up Mozilla
since the Clean up utility di not list any mozilla products for me to
"clean up" <chuckle>  It listed just about everything else installed on
my system ... but apparently can't find the product "name" that Add and
Remove Programs uses since several packages were listed with short
names that looked like executables or the like <shrug>
MikeD
0
MikeD
3/9/2005 7:28:15 PM
Wandering aimlessly around grc.techtalk, I heard MikeD mention:
> mikkl <nospamhere@mikkl.com> wrote in
>
>> This may help:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
>
> Just for grins I decided to give this a try.
>
> Apparently MS has decided that they don't want you to clean up Mozilla
> since the Clean up utility di not list any mozilla products for me to
> "clean up" <chuckle>  It listed just about everything else installed on
> my system ... but apparently can't find the product "name" that Add and
> Remove Programs uses since several packages were listed with short
> names that looked like executables or the like <shrug>
If you look closely, you'll notice that the "Windows Installer Clean
Up" utility only lists items actually installed with the "Windows
Installer". Since that doesn't include Mozilla/Firefox/T-Bird, and
many other non-MS apps, they're not listed...
--
Dutch
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
> If you look closely, you'll notice that the "Windows Installer Clean
> Up" utility only lists items actually installed with the "Windows
> Installer". Since that doesn't include Mozilla/Firefox/T-Bird, and
> many other non-MS apps, they're not listed...
Good catch, Dutch.
mikkl
0
mikkl
3/10/2005 1:31:43 AM
Wandering aimlessly about grc.techtalk, I heard mikkl say:
> Dutch <buryit@blackholespam.net> wrote in
>
>> If you look closely, you'll notice that the "Windows Installer Clean
>> Up" utility only lists items actually installed with the "Windows
>> Installer". Since that doesn't include Mozilla/Firefox/T-Bird, and
>> many other non-MS apps, they're not listed...
>
> Good catch, Dutch.
That doesn't make it a bad tool of course, just one that's limited to
doing... ummm... what it says it does... :-)
--
Dutch
GRC Newsgroups/Guidelines/No Regrets
http://news.grc.com/news.exe?cmd=article&group=grc.techtalk&item=116183
0
Dutch
3/10/2005 1:37:57 AM
> That doesn't make it a bad tool of course, just one that's limited
> to doing... ummm... what it says it does... :-)
Agreed, it is a useful tool ... but it *was* mentioned in a thread
about fixing the extra entry from the Firefox upgrade <wink>
MikeD
0
MikeD