Newfangled rootkits survive hard disk wiping

Researchers have demonstrated how to create rootkits that survive hard-disk
reformatting by injecting malware into the low-level system instructions of
a target computer.

The researchers, from Core Security Technologies, used the techniques to
inject rootkits into two computers, one running the OpenBSD operating system
and the other Windows. Because the infection lives in the computer's BIOS,
or basic input/output system, it persists even after the operating system is
reinstalled or a computer's hard drive is replaced.

While researchers have focused on BIOS-based rootkits for at least three
years, earlier techniques generally attacked specific types of BIOSes, such
as those that used ACPI, or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. The
techniques demonstrated by the Core researchers work on virtually all types
of systems, they said.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/persistent_bios_rootkits/

--
"Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly"

0
paradoX
3/25/2009 8:17:26 PM
grc.linkfarm 6478 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Wipe Hard Disk
I think this forum is OK to post this. It's not Delphi-specific technical, but hardware technical. Besides, this issue seems to be in the news lately... I'm interested in wiping a hard disk clean before giving it away, so no previously stored personal data can be obtained from the disk. Rather than downloading some tool (like DBAN) from the Internet, which seems risky to me, it seems you could write a simple Delphi program to write text (ASCII) characters to a text file (or a series of text files), filling up every byte of every sector, then deleting the files. ...

Hard Disk Survival Guide
Not too far off topic here. I was wondering about something and just now dug out my old(1991) copy of "The Hard Disk Survival Guide" by Mark Minasi. Mark was promoting the use of SpinRite II all through that book. :-) Book [Book] wrote . . . > Not too far off topic here. > > I was wondering about something and just now dug out > my old(1991) copy of "The Hard Disk Survival Guide" > by Mark Minasi. > > Mark was promoting the use of SpinRite II all through > that book. :-) How cool. I had completely forgotten about that ... ...

Running Disk Wipe on 150 hard drives
Going to excess old laptops and I have to attest that all data is gone. Thus KillDisk and I are getting acquainted again. Some drives will only take about 45 minutes.... others of the same size will take 3 hours. Don't understand why since drive geometry is identical. Not going to have any data on those puppies when they get farmed out to some elementary school. Wish I could install Suse on them before they go out. -- Sewermonger ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sewermonger wrote: > Going to excess old laptops and I have t...

Installing SUSE 11.4 64 bit on External Hard Disk to Replace 11.2 64 bit on Internal Hard Disk
I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and 3 GB RAM. The system has dual iboot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.2 64 bit. Recently I added an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity). I wish to uninstall the 11.2 and install 11.4 on the external drive. There are additional instructions for installing 11.4 on an external disk. a) Will it be possible to uninstall the 11.2 as 11.4 is being installed, leaving the space on the internal disk free for re-allocation to Windows, b) Or should I first uninstall 11.2 repair the Windows ...

Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.0.2
Subject: Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.0.2 - A boot floppy that wipes hard disks. Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:44:46 +0000 (UTC) About: Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction. Changes: This release contains the Linux 2.4.22 kernel, which has new and updated drivers. Release focus: Minor feature enhancements Licens...

Hard Disks and all about them...
I was wondering what you experts would recommend I could use to defragment my hard disks that is either free or low cost, and actually does a good job, especially on ntfs partitions. I have used norton but I don't like it because I have found it can be destructive and it is also cost prohibitive. Also what utility is good to optomize my registry under xp, to remove redundant keys safely and restore my os to a decent performance level. Everyone knows how windows boxes get slowed down over time, and I have not been able to find a product that is good at cleaning it up and restoring it...

Clonning hard disk
Hi, I had managed to clone old hard disc to a new one - multiboot WinXP-DOS-Opensuse 11.3 with Acronis. After solving all (perhaps) problems, I have one question. The last problem - I had to rewrite fstab file. Old fstab: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST380811AS_5PS0EVE3-part3 / ..... New fstab: /dev/sda3 / ... Perhaps there are more configuration files, that use 'by-id' identification. Question - Why Open Suse uses 'by-id' identification? There is a problem when we change hard disk. How can I rewrite all values with new hard dis...

After installing 11.4 on external hard disk, no booting from primary disk
Hello, I have a laptop, with Suse 11.4 installed and Windows 7, on hda. Now I got an external hard drive (hdc), and I installed also Suse 11.4 there (hdc1 - hdc3); there was an initial question about it: 'How can I install a new *independent* Suse 11.4 on a second hard disk? (swap problem) - Page 2' (http://tinyurl.com/3aw2fcb) but that is likely no longer relevant. The installation process installed the boot-loader on hda. So well, seemed necessary to me (though I would have preferred not to mess at all with hda; see below for further comments). Summarising the boot...

external usb disk shows disk, disk-1, disk-2, disk-3, disk-4
Hello all, I am new to linux. I am running openSUSE 11.1 (i586) and I have a maxtor external usb drive attached. I used the backup utility in suse to create a backup job that would copy files to my external hard drive. The problem is that when I disconnect the usb drive or reboot the machine sometimes the drive shows up as a different name. e.g. It first showed up as disk, then disk-1, then disk-2, then disk-3, and now disk-4. This is a problem because the backup utility doesn't know that the drive name changed. I had to update the back-up software to say to write to dr...

Hard Disk frequent head unloads (Disk Clicking whilst idle?)
I created a thread about a problem a I had with my hard disk clicking whilst idle little while ago and I may now have stumbled upon a possible solution. The strange thing with the problem is that Ubuntu/Kubuntu didn't cause this problem but Opensuse 11.2 does. I installed Fedora 13 to have a glimpse of what all the fuss was about and noticed that I had the same problem (hard disk clicking whilst idle ~ every 20 secs or so). Now there's a wiki on this subject and a few bug reports: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues > Problem Description > >...

Hard disk install
My machine doesn't have a dvd drive. Still, i downloaded the OSuse 11.0 DVD and tried to install thought the Hard Disk install. I've copied the contents of the DVD to a partition (ntfs partition). Then, at the HDD install, i've passed the path of the directory that contains the dvd content. The installer recognizes it, loads some things, and bam, some strange error on LinuxRC occurs (error on 0x000..00). Tried some times, same thing. Anyone has an advice or can lend me a hand? ;) Thanks, Leo. -- Darknessmonk ------------------------------------------------------...

Format hard disk
i want format hard disk that installed opensuse 11.1 os into a clean hard disk like a new hard disk that haven't been use. i dun want to use it for opensuse anymore, because i already installed opensuse in another hard disk and this hard disk i want use for others os. anyone know how to do it? -- eveckc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ eveckc wrote: > i want format hard disk that installed opensuse 11.1 os into a clean > hard disk like a new hard disk that haven't been use. most hard disk sold today do not come ...

hard disk is full
Hi, I have a problem. The novell server's NIC is out of order, so i tried to replace the NIC. At the same time, the hard disk space is full, too, so i can't copy file to the server. Therefore, i can't connect novell server. I wonder if i can delete any files in the dos partition, or how do i delete any files in novell partition? Thank you ! >At the same time, the hard disk space is full, too, so i can't copy file to the server.< Load the driver off a floppy or a CD. LOAD A:\NICDRIVER for the full hard drive... run VREPAIR and Purge deleted files. ...

Hard Disks turn on but they should not!
Hi, I have Opensuse 11.2 with KDE desktop on a abit motherboard with 2gb ram, 2 SATA Hard drives and 2 IDE hard drives (master and slave on IDE2), plus the ide master boot hard disk on IDE 1. I programmed the 2 SATA and IDE drives to turn off after 1 min inactiviti with HDPARM -S 12 , but often Opensuse wakes up all drives, wich vanishes the purpose to keep them off when not used. The only running software are the normal desktop tasks : the device notifier the system tray the task manager the application launcher menu the digital clock Any suggestion to avoid this? thank you ...

Web resources about - Newfangled rootkits survive hard disk wiping - grc.linkfarm

BMW i3 – "Newfangled Idea" - YouTube
In 1994, no one knew how big the internet would be. Not even broadcast journalists Bryant Gumbel and Katie Couric. 21 years later, a new big ...

Motorola Creates Newfangled Way to Securely "Skip" the Password
For years, the tech industry has talked about ways of replacing the password. But it’s mostly been that. Talk. Motorola on Friday announced ...

Unlikely Legacy Of Ponzi Scheme: A Bonanza for Newfangled Fund
Five years later, the most ironic part of Bernard Madoff's legacy is clear: After his Ponzi scheme made hedge funds seem scary, especially to ...

Panda Hacks: Pablo Sandoval’s newfangled plate discipline
Pablo Sandoval is notorious for swinging at almost all of the pitches. However, the Kung Fu Panda demonstrated a more refined approach during ...

TV Watch: Newfangled ways of measuring time
The new All Saints ER doctors: Carrie Roman (Betty Gilpin) and Ike Prentiss (Morris Chestnut) by Ken For any readers who noticed my recent ...

Can BuzzFeed Build a Newfangled Conglomerate With $50 Million?
Can BuzzFeed Build a Newfangled Conglomerate With $50 Million?

Apple said to unveil newfangled Brazil retail store by March
The first Latin American country to get an Apple retail shop could be saying 'ola, como vai' within the next five months. Read this article by ...

Newt Gingrich Needs Your Help To Name These Newfangled Internet Phones
It would appear that we aren’t the only ones who have trouble keeping up with all the new technology these days: Former Speaker of the House ...

Ryan David Francis' newfangled DSLR shape
California College of the Arts ID student Ryan David Francis breaks out of the box with his radically-shaped Sony DSLR concept, above. The unusual ...

Rants: Steve Cuozzo is sick of newfangled...
Steve Cuozzo is sick of newfangled desserts: "You'd think restaurants would have learned not to play 'assembly required' after short-lived V ...