How to Disable router DNS provisioning?

The conclusions section of DNSBench tells me it would be best to disable
dns provisioning in the router.  I have relatively cheap consumer grade
routers in an L configuration as Steve has suggested as a security
measure to protect me from my kids network.  One is a netgear wireless
(internet side) and the other attached to the netgear is a wired Dlink
for my PC.  I don't see where either of them allows me to turn off DNS,
just a choice of specifying servers or getting from the ISP.  My
internal router points to the netgear router (gotten automatically) and
the netgear points to the cox servers (gotten automatically also).

Can routers in this class usually allow turning off DNS?  Or am I
misunderstanding the conclusion bullet point altogether.

Thanks
John
0
John
9/15/2009 3:14:37 PM
grc.dns 1176 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"John Pearce" <nospam@sorry.com> wrote in message
> The conclusions section of DNSBench tells me it would be best to disable
> dns provisioning in the router.  I have relatively cheap consumer grade
> routers in an L configuration as Steve has suggested as a security
> measure to protect me from my kids network.  One is a netgear wireless
> (internet side) and the other attached to the netgear is a wired Dlink
> for my PC.  I don't see where either of them allows me to turn off DNS,
> just a choice of specifying servers or getting from the ISP.  My
> internal router points to the netgear router (gotten automatically) and
> the netgear points to the cox servers (gotten automatically also).
>
> Can routers in this class usually allow turning off DNS?  Or am I
> misunderstanding the conclusion bullet point altogether.

I don't recall seeing options to turn off dns resolution per se, but I
believe that if you supply dns servers (by IP address) then the router uses
them instead of passing dns requests "up stream". I am pretty sure that in
my dlink DIR-615, I had to supply a full set of dns server IP addresses to
force the router to use only those and thereby exclude passing dns requests
up stream... (I can't recall whether the Dlink has provision for 2 or 3 dns
server IP addresses in the config, but something tells me it was 3)

There is a difference between the router attempting to resolve dns lookups
versus simply passing the dns traffic up stream. The former would be
somewhat rare (I would think) in a residential router like those sold by the
likes of Best Buy etc. I am not at all sure what alternative firmware in the
router (like dd-wrt) might do for dns...

0
Kerry
9/15/2009 3:26:35 PM
"John Pearce" <nospam@sorry.com> wrote in message
> The conclusions section of DNSBench tells me it would be best to disable
> dns provisioning in the router.  I have relatively cheap consumer grade
> routers in an L configuration as Steve has suggested as a security
> measure to protect me from my kids network.  One is a netgear wireless
> (internet side) and the other attached to the netgear is a wired Dlink
> for my PC.  I don't see where either of them allows me to turn off DNS,
> just a choice of specifying servers or getting from the ISP.  My
> internal router points to the netgear router (gotten automatically) and
> the netgear points to the cox servers (gotten automatically also).
>
> Can routers in this class usually allow turning off DNS?  Or am I
> misunderstanding the conclusion bullet point altogether.

Ok, from your description it sounds like you've got this:

Internet -- Netgear -- Dlink

Currently the Netgear and the Dlink pull DNS settings via DHCP (ie,
they are assigned automatically. The Netgear gets the DNS settings
from the ISP and the Dlink gets them from the Netgear.

Correct?

If so...

Simply configure the Netgear to use specific DNS servers. I've got a
Netgear (several actually) in my lab. Most of them allow you to specify
the DNS server in two modes:

    -Get from ISP

    -Use specified...

You want this second option.

You'll have to fill in the IP addresses of the servers you want to use.

I've had good luck with 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.4 and 208.67.222.222.

Once you set this option and Apply the change, your Dlink will pull the
DNS server information from the Netgear...once the Dlink's DHCP lease
expires or if you reboot the Dlink.

--
Cal...

0
Cal
9/15/2009 3:34:14 PM
John Pearce wrote:
> The conclusions section of DNSBench tells me it would be best to disable
> dns provisioning in the router.  I have relatively cheap consumer grade
> routers in an L configuration as Steve has suggested as a security
> measure to protect me from my kids network.  One is a netgear wireless
> (internet side) and the other attached to the netgear is a wired Dlink
> for my PC.  I don't see where either of them allows me to turn off DNS,
> just a choice of specifying servers or getting from the ISP.  My
> internal router points to the netgear router (gotten automatically) and
> the netgear points to the cox servers (gotten automatically also).
>
> Can routers in this class usually allow turning off DNS?  Or am I
> misunderstanding the conclusion bullet point altogether.

I can't help you with the D-Link but I have a Netgear, although it is a
small business router.  The setting that you want isn't with the DNS
setting in the "WAN Settings" but under "LAN Setup" where DHCP can be
enabled or disabled.  There is a tick box to "Enable DNS Proxy".  If
that is ticked the router will use its own address as the DNS server in
the DHCP response.  If not checked it will forward the IPs of whatever
servers are configured in the "WAN Settings".
0
sparky

I use the OS's facility to specify DNS servers to override the Router's
default allocation.

In Windows you can specify DNS servers in the TCP/IP properties.

I use the OpenDNS servers myself, you may with to use others.

Kind Regards

Simon

0
Simon
9/15/2009 5:38:23 PM
In article <h8obno$hp8$1@news.grc.com>,
kerry.removethisandoneperiod.liles@gmail.com says...
> "John Pearce" <nospam@sorry.com> wrote in message
> I don't recall seeing options to turn off dns resolution per se, but I
> believe that if you supply dns servers (by IP address) then the router uses
> them instead of passing dns requests "up stream". I am pretty sure that in
> my dlink DIR-615, I had to supply a full set of dns server IP addresses to
> force the router to use only those and thereby exclude passing dns requests
> up stream... (I can't recall whether the Dlink has provision for 2 or 3 dns
> server IP addresses in the config, but something tells me it was 3)
>
> There is a difference between the router attempting to resolve dns lookups
> versus simply passing the dns traffic up stream. The former would be
> somewhat rare (I would think) in a residential router like those sold by the
> likes of Best Buy etc. I am not at all sure what alternative firmware in the
> router (like dd-wrt) might do for dns...

Thank you.  I set up the OS and both routers to point to the cox servers
rather than get them automatically.  This seems to have helped the issue
with the conclusions section.

John
0
John
9/16/2009 4:14:47 PM
In article <h8ocde$if8$1@news.grc.com>, beltphed@hotmail.com says...

> Ok, from your description it sounds like you've got this:
>
> Internet -- Netgear -- Dlink
>
> Currently the Netgear and the Dlink pull DNS settings via DHCP (ie,
> they are assigned automatically. The Netgear gets the DNS settings
> from the ISP and the Dlink gets them from the Netgear.
>
> Correct?

Yes

> If so...
>
> Simply configure the Netgear to use specific DNS servers. I've got a
> Netgear (several actually) in my lab. Most of them allow you to specify
> the DNS server in two modes:
>
>     -Get from ISP
>
>     -Use specified...
>
> You want this second option.
>
> You'll have to fill in the IP addresses of the servers you want to use.
>
> I've had good luck with 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.4 and 208.67.222.222.
>
> Once you set this option and Apply the change, your Dlink will pull the
> DNS server information from the Netgear...once the Dlink's DHCP lease
> expires or if you reboot the Dlink.

Well, the netgear already had the ISP servers in there because it got
them automatcally.  However the Dlink still pointed to the netgear and
the OS pointed to the dlink.  To resolve this I just set all of them to
use the cox servers.  Cox was one that patched their servers very
quickly when that poisoning issue hit, and the performance from my
system is so close to the 4.2.2.1 etc servers that I don't see a need to
change.
0
John
9/16/2009 4:18:37 PM
In article <h8ojf5$phm$1@news.grc.com>, simon@*no-spam*.pc-
technical.co.uk says...
> Hi,
>
> I use the OS's facility to specify DNS servers to override the Router's
> default allocation.

I think that was the point that I missed Simon, was to just point the OS
to the cox servers directly.  I probably don't need to bother with what
is in the routers at all.
0
John

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

Disabling router's DNS?
After running the Domain Name Server Benchmark, it has concluded that everything's fine EXCEPT my router is apparently providing the DNS name servers to all systems, and is recommending "disabling your router's provisioning of DNS services". Now, does anyone know where this is done? Is it on the router itself, as in on the hardware? Or is there some option in Windows that lets me do this? I know that by typing in our IP address in our internet browser, it comes up with an options page (I think), but I don't think something like that could affect the router. ...

Question about DNS about DNS over VPN
Hi, we have got a problem (probabliy we misunderstood something) with the VPN - Client. When I login with the VPN-Client, where can I set the DNS-Context (Search Context) which will be passed to the Client? I can not find any settings at the VPN Definitions. Thanks in advance Reg. Thomas Thomas, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

Router doing DNS
I have my Buffalo router set to obtain the DNS server addresses from the head end, but all my computers have the router hard-coded in as the DNS server. So, my desktop is set to always go to 192.168.11.1 for DNS queries, and the router in turn queries the Cox DNS servers. [In case it matters, the DNS service on the desktop is disabled because I use the MVPS Hosts file, and everything works better that way.] When I run Steve's benchmark program, it returns with the router at the top of the list as the fastest DNS, with Cox second and third (way ahead of OpenDNS). I thoug...

External DNS
we are having the following 2 issues: 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an access all internal sites. 2 - we do have dns configured in IManager to send out DNS info to the VPN client - BUT we are ubable to ping internal servers by name only by ip.. please help Menachem Kain hi, > 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to > acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an > access all intern...

Novell DNS with W2K DNS
HI, I have to setup and AD in our NetWare 5.1 environment. DNS service are hosted by Netware server. AD needs a DNS server. Can I use the Netware DNS or I need to configure a new W2K DNS? Since AD need to register specific records in DNS. If you have any good documents or links about that I will appreciate. Thanks in advance Dany Some of my clients are in the same boat. The configuration that seems to work best for them is to have the MS DNS running to handle the AD stuff. Also run the Novell DNS pointing to the MS DNS as the authoritative source. Have the ...

DNS 1 and DNS 2
So out of curiosity I'm looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page . Some times it's to a close port others not . Is this normal activity from my ISP ? Or something I should be worried about ? tia CYS Hemi wrote: > looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while > some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page. This is too vague to understand your question let alone answer it. Are you talking about a DSL or cable modem? Are you talking ab...

DNS Forwarders to Microsoft DNS
We have 80% of our network on Novell Netware and use DHCP and DNS on Novell servers. Recently there have been implementations of Microsoft Active Directory installations and we were told that Microsoft does not support Novell DNS and we are therefore having to keep a Microsoft DNS. I have set a forwarder on my DNS server that points to the IP address of my Windows 2003 server and thought that if the Novell DNS could not reply it would be forwarded to the Win2003 DNS, it isn't working though, any ideas? Mark We have 4 Novell DNS servers and I have just not...

DNS
We are currently migrating from Windows NT to a Netware 6.x platform. I have noticed that our access to network drives has slowed down even more since loading the Netware Client. I spoke with another engineering friend to said to configure and load DNS on our primary NW server to help speed up the connection time to drives as DNS is used before NW locator. This has help tremendously with my connections to Netware mapping; however, my mappings to other equipment (NT, Win2K and AS/400) are still slow. I have tried to set up resource records in DNS for these servers, but...

DNS
I have a NW5.1 server running named, I have setup my webmail.domainname.co.uk and intranet.domainname.co.uk and externally they work fine however, internally they don't resolve the names and I have to type in the ipaddress. In my network setup I have a cisco PIX box and router that allows access to the outside world. I have tried static addresses to point directly to my DNS server for DNS resolution but the fault still persists. I am looking for any pointers or suggestions. Thanks, Euan Best to ask in the DNS/DHCP forums. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product...

DNS
Hello, We currently use Groupwise 6 Sp2 and we are getting lots of tcp read and write 420 errors, on outgoing mail only incoming works fine. We have changed all the cables, checked routers/switches and replaced NIC's. We have tried all the tids (increasing timeouts, SET commands etc..) with no change. Our ISP says that it is definately not them (we don't believe them) and so we have decided that we would try to send our email straight out to the internet without using them. We don't use them for incoming and that works. Can anyone tell me how we do this, is it...

DNS
I need some info concerning the DNS setup at my new job. In the zone parameters are settings under SOA for zone master. Is this the name of the zone or name of the dns_server? Also, the docs from Novell about setting up DNS/DHCP are all well and good, but how about some actually example run-throughs,....images showing the complete process. It gets hard to follow some of the terms after several pages of text. If anyone know some real nice, clear docs on it, send the list please! Dan Fasanella dfasanella@leesportfc.com wrote: > I need some info concerning the DNS setu...

DNS
Having BM 3.5 server with local ADSL connection for internet access. Error mssage - 'DNS HOSTS LOOKUP FAILED' appears on the console screen. How do i resolve this problem? Kindly assist. Thanks. usually this problem is associated to a temporary outage of the DNS server (or the connection to it). If you are not noticing DNS lookups errors when browsing, it was probably simply a temporary issue. -- Cat Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop > usually this problem is associated to a temporary outage of the DNS > server (or the connection to it). &...

DNS
Is it possible to use DNS with SQL Server? In another words, dsedit entries with names of server versus ip addresses. I've never tried, but I always assumed it was not possible. Germano Silva wrote: > > Is it possible to use DNS with SQL Server? Yes. > In another words, dsedit entries with names of server versus ip addresses. > I've never tried, but I always assumed it was not possible. It works. Try it. -am ...

DNS
Hello Forum, I got some strange things on my DNS servers... I have previously migrated all of my Nw6.5 servers to Linux Oes2Sp1. Now I am running this platform. DNS service has also been migrated from Nw6.5. Got 1 primary server (the same for all of my declared zones) and 2 secondary ones. The primary seems to works fine and one of the secondary too. For the second one some zones are not replicated automatically. I have tried to reconfigured/reinstall the DNS service on this node but hey nothing particular appends. Does anyone have an idea ? Thanks in advance for ...

dns
How do I install dns server or assign host name ip address on Netware 4.11? Please ask in the DNS/DHCP forum. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

DNS
Does the DNS system give preference to MX servers based on the position of it in the config file?? I was always under the impression it was by value preference?? I have three MX records for our domain with values: 0 server1.domain.com 5 server2.domain.com 10 server3.domain.com They are ordered in the config file as follows: 5 server2.domain.com 0 server1.domain.com 10 server3.domain.com Mail is ALWAYS initially received by value 5, 5 server2.domain.com It's like record 0 does not exist. BTW, this info is hosted at ISP location so it's a total beeeeaatch to c...

DNS
The DNS project sounds very interesting. I printed your post & Berstein's Notes on the Domain Name System, to save them for future study. I find that extensive reading of text on the tube is very stresfull & so I prefer the printed version. I'm looking foreward to your follow up posts. Thanks for sharing..Geo ...

DNS
I have a NW5.1 server running named, I have setup my webmail.domainname.co.uk and intranet.domainname.co.uk and externally they work fine however, internally they don't resolve the names and I have to type in the ipaddress. In my network setup I have a cisco PIX box and router that allows access to the outside world. I have tried static addresses to point directly to my DNS server for DNS resolution but the fault still persists. I am looking for any pointers or suggestions. Thanks, Euan Where is the DNS server with respect to the PIX -- is it inside the fire...

DNS
Name: James Perrett Email: jamesdotperrettataudotteletechdotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: DNS Comments: I find Firefox very slow on several linuxes...(MyhtDora 5,Mythbuntu 8.04, Opensuse) and IE 6.0 on windows is a lot faster. On these boxes konqueor is faster at download a number of web sites. It looks like the looking up DNS though firefox is the main problem... But "ping" various websites the dns lookup is very fast. Why is Firefox so slow ...Why the need for disabling IP version 6.. to make it useable Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en...

DNS
Is there a way to add,remove,edit zones in microsoft dns server with asp.net? Yes.  Though I supsect you meant to ask the question "How can I add,remove,edit zones in microsoft dns server with asp.net?" Take a look at dnscmd.exe, the command line tool for managing DNS. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Propagate DNS Settings to Other DNS Servers
My server is the Authoratitive DNS server for my domain. if the NAMED service is down, no one can resolve to my web site. It seems as if my DNS settings are not propogating to other DNS servers on the Internet to be cached there. What settings do I have to change to make this happen ? Steve -- Other DNS servers are not responsible for caching your DNS info. If they have to resolve names using your server, they may cache that info so they don't have to ask your server for it every time, but even then the caching is probably only for a short time. The only way t...

Web resources about - How to Disable router DNS provisioning? - grc.dns

Provisioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In telecommunication , provisioning is the process of preparing and equipping a network to allow it to provide (new) services to its users. In ...

Razor : DevOps + Bare-metal Provisioning - Nick Weaver of VMware - YouTube
"Razor : DevOps + Bare-metal Provisioning" Nick Weaver, Automation Architect at VMware at PuppetConf 2012. Join the Razor mailing list + ask ...

Inabox signs DGIT Telflow to upgrade its provisioning system
Australian ICT provider, Inabox Group, has announced plans to upgrade its provisioning platform to service delivery platform, DGIT Telflow, in ...

Citrix XenDesktop v.7.1 Provisioning Services (PVS) Deep Dive
Computerworld Australia is the leading source of technology news, analysis and tools for IT decision makers, managers and professionals. ...

Gemalto Demonstrates Remote Provisioning of Consumer Devices Based on GSMA Architecture
... world leader in digital security, presents a demonstration that brings to life for the first time a common architecture for the remote provisioning ...

Zero Touch Provisioning can help the network world catch up to server advances
This vendor-written tech primer has been edited by Network World to eliminate product promotion, but readers should note it will likely favor ...

Improper ‘provisioning and planning’ blamed for Apple’s botched live stream, not CDN capacity
... in the future. Filed under: AAPL Company Continue reading more about AAPL Company at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Improper ‘provisioning ...

Metal as a Service: Canonical announces Ubuntu server provisioning tool
... company behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution, has announced a new tool called Metal as a Service (MAAS) that is designed to simplify the provisioning ...

Identity, Authentication, and Provisioning Them Online
Christina jotted down some thoughts on indentity on a flight to SF and I read them this morning. In her post, she references Ev's excellent post ...

Overland Storage Revolutionises Unified Storage with SnapServer DX, Provisioning-free Storage for Distributed ...
Overland Storage today unveiled SnapServer DX, a new unified NAS and iSCSI SAN device that leverages the company&rsquo;s new standards-based ...