Web Service not working on Server Farm

Hi there.

 I got a simple web service called "onBlur" on a textbox, calling server side function which (if needed) changes a label's text.

It works fine on my side.

Our clients have installed it in 4 places and 3 of them works fine. The one that doesn't work (interesting: doesn't throw an error either) is actually a "server farm" (a few identic machines randomly used for web-user for speeding up access ...)

I have no idea what to look for. I had a filteredtextboxextender on the textbox, I thought it might have something to do with my problems, but even when I removed it, it is still not doing anything.

I installed Fiddler, which usually shows me http requests and stuff like that, i usually find the error with this, but this time even this is showing me nothing.

I am thinking that maybe it is some path problem ...

Bad part: don't have access to the environment that is not working ... so i am kindof in the dark

0 csabadapp 1/15/2007 3:16:35 PM

this is kinda frustrating.

noone knows anything about this?

who could I ask? there's nothing I can find on this one.

there is no "support" for this kind of problems?

0 csabadapp 1/18/2007 4:49:42 PM

I'm confused about what you're seeing in Fiddler.  Do you see the web service call get made?  If it's not being made at all, then the client isn't executing the code it's supposed to, so take a look at what's coming down to the client and look for missing scripts.

If the request is being made, then you should be able to see what the response is from the server and debug that way.

Steve Marx | ASP.NET AJAX Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation
0 Steve 1/18/2007 6:49:05 PM
Is your service state dependent?  If so you need to turn on inter-cluster sticky sessions so that requests for a user are always served by the same server (unless of course it goes down)
-Steven Berkovitz
MBC Computer Solutions Ltd.
0 berkovitz 1/19/2007 12:52:06 AM

Do you have MacValidation configuration enabled - If you check the offending server's event log you'll probably have some application errors that will relate to the issue you are having.  I believe that since you are running on server farm that your issue is related to this http://tech-review.org/blogs/.net_2.0/archive/2005/11/25/4.aspx if you do not already have it configured properly.  Otherwise it could very well be a issue one server not updated with the production files.  One way to reproduce it is turn on the remote debugging and access the offending server by it's specific IP and not the cluster ip.



-- jody
My Blogs on .Net 2.0 and Ajax
0 jodywbcb 1/29/2007 4:42:42 AM

Hi there

I think I got it.

Seems to me that the same server, when requesting through server farm, it generates some extra code.

So when used "normally", it returns me only the string what my webservice is returning.

Instead, when requesting through server farm, i have more ("unknown") code than I expect.

I was doing (javascript) something like this:



inside strReturnedFromWebService there was lots of stuff I had no idea where did it come from. Maybe something installed on the server, that returned me this only when connecting this way ... i donno why ...



i treated the string and removed what was not mine ...

not the nicest way ... but ... it works ...

0 csabadapp 1/29/2007 11:18:22 AM

(Thread closed)