Reserve Table Space / Use All Space Questions

XE3 version 11.0.4.820

Will using a database with the *Reserve Table Space* set to ‘No’ on a large database (10 GB) with lots of activity / updating would cause issues with performance with Interbase?

Will using the XE3 database with the *Reserve Table Space* set to ‘No’ cause any long term issues?

Gbak has the *–use_all_space* which I imagine the existence of the parameter is same as IBConsole’s ‘Use All Space’ set to true?

IBConsole has the Use All Space  (false is default or true). Are there any differences between a default restore using gbak compared to ibconsole?
0
Jeff
2/11/2015 4:37:42 PM
📁 embarcadero.interbase.general
📃 923 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 399 Views

Jeff Cope wrote:
> Will using a database with the*Reserve Table Space*  set to ‘No’ on a large database (10 GB) with lots of activity / updating would cause issues with performance with Interbase?

Yes, it could cause performance issues.

> Will using the XE3 database with the*Reserve Table Space*  set to ‘No’ cause any long term issues?

Just performance.

> Gbak has the *–use_all_space* which I imagine the existence of the parameter is same as IBConsole’s ‘Use All Space’ set to true?

Yes, they do the same thing.

> IBConsole has the Use All Space  (false is default or true). Are there any differences between a default restore using gbak compared to ibconsole?

Speaking as someone who only uses IBConsole when forced, I don't know
how the defaults compare. I'd have to go look at them all manually.
However, there is one big difference I know of off the top of my head.
IBConsole uses the services API, where as gbak only uses the services
API if you using the -se option. The services API should be
significantly faster for large databases.
0
quinn