Backup-Restore needed when migrating from Interbase 2009 to XE 64-bit? [Edit]

Hi,

We want to migrate our database from Interbase 2009 to Interbase XE 64-bit.

I have noticed that Interbase XE can connect directly to the file from Interbase 2009 (without backup-restore), but would anyone advice us not to do that?

The reason why it would be nice not to have to do backup-restore is 1) that the size of the database grows from around 27 GB to around 34 GB, and 2) the time we have to take down the system for doing this (around 12h)

(BTW, it was necessary to run the readmeta.sql found in examples\security in order to be able to get a working DB-file after the backup-restore, I guess because the DB was created with a much earlier version if IB)

Regards,
Linus Bernas
Oy Attracs Ab

Edited by: Linus Bernas on Dec 16, 2010 3:37 AM
0
Linus
12/16/2010 11:52:28 AM
embarcadero.interbase.general 923 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Linus Bernas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We want to migrate our database from Interbase 2009 to Interbase XE 64-bit.
>
> I have noticed that Interbase XE can connect directly to the file from Interbase 2009 (without backup-restore), but would anyone advice us not to do that?
>
> The reason why it would be nice not to have to do backup-restore is 1) that the size of the database grows from around 27 GB to around 34 GB, and 2) the time we have to take down the system for doing this (around 12h)
>
> (BTW, it was necessary to run the readmeta.sql found in examples\security in order to be able to get a working DB-file after the backup-restore, I guess because the DB was created with a much earlier version if IB)
>
> Regards,
> Linus Bernas
> Oy Attracs Ab
>
> Edited by: Linus Bernas on Dec 16, 2010 3:37 AM

I do advise to backup and restore for 2 critical reasons.

1. You don't get most new features without doing so.
2. Backup and Restore gives you a new ODS. We do significantly less
testing with older ODS's. Going back one version is supported, but
wouldn't you like to use what we have tested the most?
0
quinn
12/16/2010 7:38:51 PM
> {quote:title=quinn wildman wrote:}{quote}
>
> I do advise to backup and restore for 2 critical reasons.
>
> 1. You don't get most new features without doing so.
> 2. Backup and Restore gives you a new ODS. We do significantly less
> testing with older ODS's. Going back one version is supported, but
> wouldn't you like to use what we have tested the most?

OK, thanks! Of course we want to use the ODS that is tested the most.

BTW, do you (or anyone else) have an idea about why the database grows after backup-restore? Strings stored in a different way, perhaps?

Regards,
Linus Bernas
Oy Attracs Ab
0
Linus

Web resources about - Backup-Restore needed when migrating from Interbase 2009 to XE 64-bit? [Edit] - embarcadero.interbase.general

Backup and Restore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject , potentially preventing the article from being verifiable ...

Weibo Contact-Support Sina Weibo Avatar import ,backup and restore Contacts,number attribution tracking,smart ...
Get Weibo Contact-Support Sina Weibo Avatar import ,backup and restore Contacts,number attribution tracking,smart match. It is the best addressbook ...

New backup-restore feature in Windows 8 welcome, but could be better, analysts say
A new file backup feature in Windows 8 that Microsoft trumpeted this week will help users protect their data but it is incomplete and far from ...

Why I don't restore backups to my iOS or Android phones
Restoring a backup to a clean phone sounds great but if you store much of your data in the cloud, you have an opportunity to re-install only ...

Apple confirms some users unable to access iCloud docs, Photo Stream, Backup & Restore, iMessage and ...
... PST today, Apple’s iCloud support system status page confirmed : ”Users may be unable to use iCloud Documents, Photo Stream or Backup & Restore. ...

Titanium Backup Can Now Back Up And Restore Bluetooth Pairings On Android 4.2+ (Including Lollipop)
Titanium Backup is well-known among rooted users for its ability to back up just about every aspect of a phone. It actually has the same prestige ...

Whitespace Gains Backup And Restore Functionality Plus More With First Ever Update
... adds support for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text input. Whitespace Also, it adds a much-requested feature to Whitespace: backup and restore ...

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support ...
Learn how to erase all of the data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and set it up as a new device or restore it from iCloud or iTunes backups. ...

Back up all your browser profiles with Hekasoft Backup and Restore
... this up occasionally could be a very good idea. But it’s not easy, as most browsers don’t provide any tools to help. Hekasoft Backup and Restore ...

Backup and restore Windows 8 with RecImg Manager
Never mind the fact that Windows 8 isn't out yet; RecImg Manager is a backup and recovery tool made specifically for the upcoming OS, and it's ...