How to find a server application from a client

Hej,

I have written two applications.  One acts as a server and listens on a
specific port, the other acts as a clinet.

How can I add some functionality where the client looks up the server?  I am
thinking along the same lines that MS SQL Server client applications use for
searching for and displaying all the MS SQL Server's that are available in
the local network.  Then you can chosen one from the list.

Can anyone help?

/Richard
0
Richard

Richard Bibby wrote:
> Hej,
>
> I have written two applications.  One acts as a server and listens on a
> specific port, the other acts as a clinet.
>
> How can I add some functionality where the client looks up the server?  I am
> thinking along the same lines that MS SQL Server client applications use for
> searching for and displaying all the MS SQL Server's that are available in
> the local network.  Then you can chosen one from the list.
>
> Can anyone help?

To grab a list of all servers, you will need a central place for all the
server names to exist, like a file on a webserver that can be queried
for a list of all available servers.

If this application is to be used inside a LAN, you can use UDP
broadcast requests that the server can listen for and reply with it's
network info.

--
Jack
0
"Jack Mays" <jackmays@supplant.net> wrote in message
> Richard Bibby wrote:
>> Hej,
>>
>> I have written two applications.  One acts as a server and listens on a
>> specific port, the other acts as a clinet.
>>
>> How can I add some functionality where the client looks up the server?  I
>> am
>> thinking along the same lines that MS SQL Server client applications use
>> for
>> searching for and displaying all the MS SQL Server's that are available
>> in
>> the local network.  Then you can chosen one from the list.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>

> To grab a list of all servers, you will need a central place for all the
> server names to exist, like a file on a webserver that can be queried
> for a list of all available servers.

I'd have to agree that this is the best way forward. Most webservers are
easily accessible and are online 24/7 for reliability. If you're into php
I'd suggest you write a small php script which will allow you to input
server address's, store them in a database, ini file etc and then on another
query supply a list of hosts in some easy to parse format like XML or
something. Then the server address's are accesible all over the internet.
With the added extra of using a host in combination with dynamic DNS you can
even move hosts and have the facility online without domain propagation
times etc.
0
Jamie
8/14/2008 4:13:59 PM
"Richard Bibby" <richardjbibby@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> How can I add some functionality where the client looks up the server?

Typically, you need to use UDP for that.  The "client" can broadcast a
packet to the entire subnet.  Any "server" that receives the broadcast can
send a reply back to the originating "client".  The "client" can gather the
replies into a list and then use it as needed.

Gambit
0
Remy

Starting the server application and stopping the server application from the client application
Hi , How do I do it ? I want to start the server application from my client app. After all my jobs are over , when I disconnect from the server, I want to close the server application. Both the client and server applications will be running on the desktop under NT or win95 environment. If the client app is abc.exe and the server app is pqr.exe when the user starts the client app from his desktop, the client should start pqr.exe . Now after finishing all the process when the user closes the client, I want to disconnect from server and close the server pqr then close abc...

Delphi & digital signage Client + Server application
Hello everyone, I am wondering... Is there any possibilities of building a client server web application which would be used as digital signage in the new version of RAD studio? I have been playing with IW in the current version which I have and it is not possible to do anything with it because it is too poor. The best thing would be to use Delphi for creating the server side service/process but use PHP for the CMS (web user interface content manager) part and build the client with Delphi. If anyone has ever done such, please give me some feedback! Please notice, I do not wish to lea...

Closing an server application from client application
Hi, Any Help ? The way we start an application by a run function from powerbuilder ,like run ( clock.exe) How do I close the server application from the client application in distributed environment in powerbuilder ? Thanks Jeetu You would need to call a method on the server application, and the server application would need to close itself. On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:09:16 -0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerscript Jeetu <spani@hcltech.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Any Help ? > > The way we start an application by a run function from power...

Client no longer finds server after server reboot.
If a NetWare 6.5 server requires a reboot on network, clients (3.4 and 4.9) are unable to find server again. Can login using IP address but not server name. Any ideas as to why this happens? Are they on the local LAN or across a WAN link? -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com ...

difference between a client-server application and a web application
Hello all,i have some trivial questions.can any one answer  the followingWhat is the difference between a client-server application and a web application ?what is the difference ,if any, between a virtual directory and web application.thanx Hi, and welcome to the asp.net forums.to start off, a client-server app is any application that interacts with a server, such as a windows form app that runs off of data stored in a database on a web server. A web app on the otherhand, is a "program" that may or may not contain server-side code, but it is an app that outputs html to be viewed thro...

PocketBuilder Application like a Client/Server Application
Hi: I need to create a PocketBuilder application like a Client/Server Application. is this possible? the connection with my database will be wireless. PocketBuilder with Oracle like a PowerBuilder with Oracle PocketBuilder it support this? Regards Carlos. PocketBuilder supports a wireless connection to a SQL Anywhere server, in which you can create proxy table/function defintions to access other databases. There are a number of existing threads on the topic here in the newsgroup, which you should be able to browse through using Google Groups. On 28 Jan 2006 10:51:56...

Questions about Windows 2008 Server x64 and Delphi 2010 Indy client application "EOF was detected that violates the protocol"
Hello fellas: I have a simple question: I have a client application made with Delphi 2010 and Indy 10. My server application made with the same tools, is inside a simple Windows XP SP2 32. My client application uses TIdSSLIOHandlerSocketOpenSSL and TIdTCPClient. It works fine. My server application uses TIdServerIOHandlerSSLOpenSSL and TIdTCPServer. It works ok. Inside a Windows 2003 Server x64, the client it works fine. It communicates with my server application. There are connection and traffic data with no problem at all. Inside a Windows 2008 Server x64, with all f...

DirectorySearcher find webserver, sql server, application server
When i do a search for a server i usally do by looking at the OS name ("(&(objectClass=computer)(operatingSystem=*server*))"))but is there a way i can search by webserver or a sql server or a application server or a Domain controller etc. ...

Converting Client/Server Application to Web-based Application
Can anyone please tell me where can I find a document explaining as to how to convert an existing client/server PowerBuilder application to Web-based EAServer Application? ...

automation server to client and client to server
I have to applications that need to communicate with each other. Is it practical for both of them to be servers and clients to each other? One of the applications will work primarily as a server and will launch the other application. The newly launched application needs to be able to send occasional information to the server to update information in the application that launched it. Also, if the user attempts to close the launched application it needs to tell the launcher application to close the appl ication that it launched. Does this sound practical? This is kind of like launching wo...

This remoting proxy has no channel sink which means either the server has no registered server channels that are listening, or this application has no suitable client channel to talk to the server
Hi there, I have a Serviced Component that is a DAL component When I use it lik this:mDalConfig = New DALCPServices.ConfigSettings mDalConfig.Initialize(mcSqlConnString, "Select LastName, FirstName, Title, BirthDate from Employees", DALCP.DataProviderType.Sql) mDalCommands = New DALCPServices.Commands It works ! But if I use it like this: mDalConfig = New DALCPServices.ConfigSettingsDim cmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand cmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure cmd.CommandText = "sp_customers" cmd.Parameters.Add("@CustomerID", SqlDbType.VarCha...

Converting Client/Server Application to Web-based Application #2
Can anyone please tell me where can I find a document explaining as to how to convert an existing client/server PowerBuilder application to Web-based EAServer Application? Not exactly something that can be relayed in cookbook fashion, but for a start, try: http://branick-inc.com/papers/moving_pb_to_the_web_tech.pdf <nm> wrote in message news:EB1A258374FFF23C007685AF85256BEA.007685BE85256BEA@webforums... > Can anyone please tell me where can I find a document explaining as to how > to convert an existing client/server PowerBuilder application to Web-based > EASer...

Calling internet enabled PB application from Client Server PB Application
Is it possible to call a internet enabled PB application from a Client-Server PB app? (Just like the way using RUN function to run another app from PB app) Thx, Mahesh This newsgroup is for discussing enhancement requests for future versions of PowerBuilder. You will get a much more relevant reponse if you post in one of the other newsgroups, for example: powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed or powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <Mahesh> wrote in message news:E66A29615A1F68F4006837D685256BC8.006837E685256BC8@webforums... > Is it possible to call a internet...

dbExpress or dbGo for Client/Server application with SQL Server 2005 DB?
Hi, I'm rewriting an old Client/Server booking application from scratch (originally written i Delphi 2005 and dbExpress) and I have the following question: When writing a Client/Server application with a database server running SQL Server 2005 (and future versions); which is the better choice between dbExpress and dbGo? Some background information: The application will be a typical client/server application. I will be using Developer Express components for all data and grid entry/display. I will be using ClientDataSets and Providers extensively. Application logic will reside on...

Web resources about - How to find a server application from a client - embarcadero.delphi.winsock

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications ...
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 27 percent from ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Seagate pushing non-PC storage for 2016 with focus on surveillance applications
... products for cloud computing, consumer electronics, surveillance and enterprise storage for 2016. Seagate expects surveillance-related applications ...