Problem with hints in Delphi 2007

Our company has stumbled across an interesting issue that we cannot find a solution for....

Since building our applications using Delphi 2007 we have found that if the application is already running on a PC and we start a remote connection to this PC using PcAnywhere (v 10) and then the remote user hovers the mouse over any control that contains a hint the program crashes with an access violation and terminates - if the application is then restarted the hints work fine for the rest of that PcAnywhere session - however, if you were to end the session and then connect again you would get the same
problem resulting in an access violation again.  We have tried various different buttons, etc to try and get around this (i.e. TButton, TSpeedButton, toolbar buttons, etc) but always the same issue.

This causes our service desk a bit of a headache at the moment as they often connect to customers PC's to give them remote support but find that they cannot do much with the application now until they shut it down and restart it otherwise if they linger for more than a second over any of the components that contain a hint the application will crash.

We have found that this problem happens with any application we develop and build in Delphi 2007 - to reproduce all you need to do is add a button to a form and put a hint on the button, copy the exe to a client, run it, connect to the client with PcAnywhere and hover over the button on the remote session.  If you build the same application using Delphi 7 (which we were using until fairly recently) there is no problem and so this issue looks to be something related to the way Delphi 2007 deals with handle
s or certainly something that is different from Delphi 7.

If anybody can provide any suggestions and possible remedies to fix this without having to restart our application after connecting via PcAnywhere they will be greatly appreciated.
0
Graham
10/2/2008 4:19:03 PM
embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using 2297 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Graham Whitehead" skrev i meddelelsen news:24284@forums.codegear.com...
> Since building our applications using Delphi 2007 we have found that if
> the application is already running on a PC and we start a remote
> connection to this PC using PcAnywhere (v 10) and then the remote user
> hovers the mouse over any control that contains a hint the program crashes
> with an access violation and terminates - if the application is then
> restarted the hints work fine for the rest of that PcAnywhere session -
> however, if you were to end the session and then connect again you would
> get the same
> problem resulting in an access violation again.  We have tried various
> different buttons, etc to try and get around this (i.e. TButton,
> TSpeedButton, toolbar buttons, etc) but always the same issue.
>
> We have found that this problem happens with any application we develop
> and build in Delphi 2007 - to reproduce all you need to do is add a button
> to a form and put a hint on the button, copy the exe to a client, run it,
> connect to the client with PcAnywhere and hover over the button on the
> remote session.  If you build the same application using Delphi 7 (which
> we were using until fairly recently) there is no problem and so this issue
> looks to be something related to the way Delphi 2007 deals handles or
> certainly something that is different from Delphi 7.

Does the same thing happen with other desktop remote control programs such
as Windows own Remote Desktop or VNC or TeamViewer or <whatever>?
If it only happens with PcAnywhere then that product may be faulty.
--
Finn Tolderlund
0
> {quote:title=Finn Tolderlund wrote:}{quote}
>

> Does the same thing happen with other desktop remote control programs such
> as Windows own Remote Desktop or VNC or TeamViewer or <whatever>?
> If it only happens with PcAnywhere then that product may be faulty.
> --
> Finn Tolderlund

No the problem is just when connecting to a remote machine with PcAnywhere - Microsoft remote desktop, etc don't have this issue.  However we have only had this issue since using the Delphi 2007 compiler which suggests there might be something that we could do in Delphi to address the issue since PcAnywhere is currently our only option for connecting to customer sites.
0
Graham

Same problem here with VNC 4.4.2
any solution yet ?

Colling J.P.

<Graham Whitehead> wrote in message news:24683@forums.codegear.com...
>> {quote:title=Finn Tolderlund wrote:}{quote}
>>

>> Does the same thing happen with other desktop remote control programs
>> such
>> as Windows own Remote Desktop or VNC or TeamViewer or <whatever>?
>> If it only happens with PcAnywhere then that product may be faulty.
>> --
>> Finn Tolderlund
>

> No the problem is just when connecting to a remote machine with
> PcAnywhere - Microsoft remote desktop, etc don't have this issue.  However
> we have only had this issue since using the Delphi 2007 compiler which
> suggests there might be something that we could do in Delphi to address
> the issue since PcAnywhere is currently our only option for connecting to
> customer sites.
0
Jean
11/6/2008 8:31:09 AM
No solution yet - I have raised this as a bug on <https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=4187&tstart=0> - but no progress on here yet either.

Have you been able to try the same with an earlier version of Delphi? - we did not have the problem when using an earlier version.

Graham

> {quote:title=Jean-Paul Colling wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
>
> Same problem here with VNC 4.4.2
> any solution yet ?
>
> Colling J.P.

0
Graham
11/14/2008 3:16:04 PM
Hi.

Before I used Delphi 6.0 and never noticed the problem.

Colling J.P.

<Graham Whitehead> wrote in message news:43862@forums.codegear.com...
> No solution yet - I have raised this as a bug on
> <https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=4187&tstart=0> - but no
> progress on here yet either.
>
> Have you been able to try the same with an earlier version of Delphi? - we
> did not have the problem when using an earlier version.
>
> Graham
>
>> {quote:title=Jean-Paul Colling wrote:}{quote}
>> Hi,
>>
>> Same problem here with VNC 4.4.2
>> any solution yet ?
>>
>> Colling J.P.

0
Jean
11/17/2008 3:40:04 PM
I have the same issue using UltraVNC Win32 Viewer 1.0.1. Embarcadero should fix this immediately before the next update. I have reported this bug:
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=69271

Edited by: Soo Yoong Ng on Nov 24, 2008 3:31 PM
0
Soo
11/24/2008 11:31:29 PM
The circumstances seem very slightly different, but you could try the
workaround at http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=53932.
0
Tim
11/25/2008 10:48:30 AM
> {quote:title=Tim Frost wrote:}{quote}
> The circumstances seem very slightly different, but you could try the
> workaround at http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=53932.

We experienced a similar problem with the 'hints' and in our case it had to do with a request to obtain the cursor position prior to drawing the hint to screen while the workstation was locked (CTRL + ALT + DEL pressed) or user was in processing of logging in while switching from RDP to pcAnywhere.

In the Delphi 5 code we found that requests to GetCursorPos (in VCL\controls.pas) returns a null pointer if the Win32 API doesn't grant it access to (i.e. the process doesn't have read rights for the current window station while the console is locked) and the ActivateHint function (in our case) raised this exception.

Hope this helps - as it took us a fair while to figure this out.  The code fix for controls.pas (Delphi 5) is:
(line 9654)

function TMouse.GetCursorPos: TPoint;
begin
  if not Windows.GetCursorPos(Result) then
    Result := Point(0, 0);
end;

This is fixed by Delphi 2009 - haven't checked other releases.
0
Duncan

can i use delphi 2007 bpls in delphi 2009

MOVED: Use Delphi XE TLB importer in Delphi 2007?
....to the ActiveX group: https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=47170 -- Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/ ...

converting delphi 2007 code to delphi XE2 -- emptyparam problem
Hi, I am trying to convert my applicantion code from delphi 2007 to delphi XE2 and i got stuck in this error "[DCC Error] ADODB_TLB.pas(4888): E2033 Types of actual and formal var parameters must be identical". This happens when we use emptyparam as an argument in a function that wants an olevariant. Example: function TAcadDatabase.CopyObjects(Objects: OleVariant): OleVariant; begin Result := DefaultInterface.CopyObjects(Objects, EmptyParam, EmptyParam); //this is where we get the ERROR end; The coyobjects function as this signature: " function CopyObjects(Object...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Moving from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? Specifically, is there better Vista/Win7/Win8 integration provided by Delphi 2007? (In the project I am already using a custom manifest file for Vista/Win7 etc.. and not the std XPMan component) Does 2007 add any new bugs to the scene? Thanks Rael Rael wrote: > Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from > Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? If you are going to upgrade, why not upgrade to something newer? > In the project I am already using a custom man...

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Web resources about - Problem with hints in Delphi 2007 - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using

Surprise! Lawyers Are Problem Drinkers
Assuming there are 10 attorneys on your team, statistically, two to three of the attorneys are suffering from drinking problems, depression, ...

This one app could solve your most frustrating home Wi-Fi problems
So you've just set up your home Wi-Fi network but for some reason you're having trouble getting your PC to connect to the network. It could very ...

This $2 billion startup CEO thinks the biggest problem facing European entrepreneurs today is 'bad advice' ...
... really bad advice, right." "There's starting to be a network of older people that have been [there]" Has Klarna been affected by this problem? ...

Ben Carson has a problem with Bill Clinton's history with women
GOP hopeful blames former President Clinton for coarsening American children

Engine problem sends Virginia-bound plane back to New York
... shortly after takeoff. A spokesman for the FAA says the crew of Commutair Flight 3585 declared an emergency because of an "engine-related problem" ...

IT pros brace for lost devices, access problems, on-call holidays
More than half (56%) of IT pros will be on-call or working during the holidays to troubleshoot tech problems, according to network management ...

Top 11 Problems Plaguing Solar And Wind Power
Wind and solar power will have to resolve these 11 fundamental issues before they can "fix" global warming.

Thanks, Obama. Fewer people have problems paying medical bills.
... In the first half of 2011 through the first half of 2014, approximately one in five persons under age 65 was in a family that had problems ...

Spotify pledges to fix the music industry's royalty problems
Paying artists for streams isn't just Spotify's problem the whole industry is stuck with a royalty model that's better suited for physical sales ...