A Delphi Developers Guide for 4K Displays [Edit]

After getting through this myself for our own product (we are still not done), I decided to put the experiences into a tutorial, how to make a Delphi application dpi-aware and, more importantly, what to do to make it really work.

This tutorial intends to help you getting your Delphi Windows applications ready for ultra-high resolution ("4K") displays. It covers all topics from Delphi's UI scaling on systems with large fonts to per-monitor DPI-awareness on Windows 8.1:

* Dots per Inch (DPI) explained
* Windows and DPI, Delphi and DPI
* Testing high resolutions
* DPI virtualization in Windows
* Windows 8.1 multi-montor DPI scaling
* Declaring DPI-awareness in Delphi
* Flipping DPI at runtime on Windows 8.1

The 38 pages tutorial is in PDF format and includes a Delphi XE6/7 demo application with source that is fully DPI-aware and scales at runtime on Windows 8.1 with multiple monitors.

Download link:
http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads_delphi.html
0
Alexander
11/18/2014 6:17:45 PM
embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using 2297 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Alexander Halser wrote:

> After getting through this myself for our own product (we are still
> not done), I decided to put the experiences into a tutorial, how to
> make a Delphi application dpi-aware and, more importantly, what to do
> to make it really work.

> http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads_delphi.html

Tremendously helpful and informative - thank you!

--
SteveT
0
Am 18.11.2014 19:17, schrieb Alexander Halser:
> After getting through this myself for our own product (we are still not done), I decided to put the experiences into a tutorial, how to make a Delphi application dpi-aware and, more importantly, what to do to make it really work.
>
> This tutorial intends to help you getting your Delphi Windows applications ready for ultra-high resolution ("4K") displays. It covers all topics from Delphi's UI scaling on systems with large fonts to per-monitor DPI-awareness on Windows 8.1:
>
> * Dots per Inch (DPI) explained
> * Windows and DPI, Delphi and DPI
> * Testing high resolutions
> * DPI virtualization in Windows
> * Windows 8.1 multi-montor DPI scaling
> * Declaring DPI-awareness in Delphi
> * Flipping DPI at runtime on Windows 8.1
>
> The 38 pages tutorial is in PDF format and includes a Delphi XE6/7 demo application with source that is fully DPI-aware and scales at runtime on Windows 8.1 with multiple monitors.
>
> Download link:
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads_delphi.html

Hello,

while it's a nice and surely helpful tutorial I found one thing a bit
strange:

If yoh have this multi display DPI awarenes and move your window around
several times it causes the scaling to go off, right? That's because
scaling is always done from the current font size in pixel and so
runding errors accumulate.

Couldn't you just get that value on form create, store it in a field of
the form and recalculate when needed based on that one? (ok, you might
need to save current DPI value at form create as well)? Wouldn't that
solve this one?

And: has anybody already made a QC or QualityPortal request about
natively supporting and handling this new Win 8.1 message? We all could
spare to roll our own solution for this. It would also be nice if the
change I outlined to not accumulating rounding errors could be
incorporated in such a solution.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/19/2014 8:22:08 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> Couldn't you just get that value on form create, store it in a field of
> the form and recalculate when needed based on that one? (ok, you might
> need to save current DPI value at form create as well)? Wouldn't that
> solve this one?

You could, although Form.PixelsPerInch gets changed at an early stage, before the constructor Create is called. But... what for? You are still scaling +from the current+ size to a new one. ChangeScale() takes two parameters, a multiplier and a divisor... and that scales the form and fonts and all controls on it, in a cascading iteration. Every control gets a new size and position when this method is being applied and the values are integers. They are unfortunately truncated. If ChangeScale() rounded them
instead, the result would be more stable. Not 100%, but with much less rounding differences. I assume that the reason for using MulDiv() in the calculation is speed.

To be able to scale again from the original design, you not only need to remember the original DPI value of the form, but the form's position and size as well. And margins, constraints, etc. And the corresponding properties of each and every control on this form. You'd basically have to reload the original form from the resource, do a new ChangeScale() to the desired scale and replace the form in memory with that. I could imagine a tiny problem with dynamically created controls and components though...

For a practical solution, I'd rather scale by the DPI difference in order to avoid rounding differences with font sizes in pixels. But that's my take on it, because we change the fonts in our application dynamically anyway, so the Delphi way of scaling the form is less useful for us. That requires some space between controls to accomodate larger-than-expected fonts. For recurring scales on Windows 8.1, it would be helpful to patch Vcl.Forms.pas and round the results instead of truncating them. I tested th
at and it worked well enough.

A more thorough solution would be to save these properties as floats (or store them as twips), at least at runtime. This would survive any scale.
0
Alexander
11/19/2014 9:58:59 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
>
> And: has anybody already made a QC or QualityPortal request about
> natively supporting and handling this new Win 8.1 message? We all could
> spare to roll our own solution for this. It would also be nice if the
> change I outlined to not accumulating rounding errors could be
> incorporated in such a solution.

VCL and FireMonkey lack Per-Monitor DPI support for Windows 8.1
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9679

There is also report for Delphi IDE high DPI awareness
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9678

--
Dalija Prasnikar
0
Am 20.11.2014 21:03, schrieb Dalija Prasnikar:
>> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
>>
>> And: has anybody already made a QC or QualityPortal request about
>> natively supporting and handling this new Win 8.1 message? We all could
>> spare to roll our own solution for this. It would also be nice if the
>> change I outlined to not accumulating rounding errors could be
>> incorporated in such a solution.
>>

> VCL and FireMonkey lack Per-Monitor DPI support for Windows 8.1
> https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9679
>
> There is also report for Delphi IDE high DPI awareness
> https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9678

Hello,

I had some private mail conversation with Marco about this topic lately
pointing him to the URL of this tutorial.

He said he had read it and for XE8 some improvements in this area are
being planned or at least looked at which are regarding font sizing and
the IDE would profit from them as well.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/24/2014 7:32:39 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> Am 20.11.2014 21:03, schrieb Dalija Prasnikar:
> >> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> >>
> >> And: has anybody already made a QC or QualityPortal request about
> >> natively supporting and handling this new Win 8.1 message? We all could
> >> spare to roll our own solution for this. It would also be nice if the
> >> change I outlined to not accumulating rounding errors could be
> >> incorporated in such a solution.
> >>

> > VCL and FireMonkey lack Per-Monitor DPI support for Windows 8.1
> > https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9679
> >
> > There is also report for Delphi IDE high DPI awareness
> > https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9678
> >

> Hello,
>
> I had some private mail conversation with Marco about this topic lately
> pointing him to the URL of this tutorial.
>
> He said he had read it and for XE8 some improvements in this area are
> being planned or at least looked at which are regarding font sizing and
> the IDE would profit from them as well.

Great news.

--
Dalija Prasnikar
0
Am 24.11.2014 20:39, schrieb Dalija Prasnikar:
>> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}

>>> VCL and FireMonkey lack Per-Monitor DPI support for Windows 8.1
>>> https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9679
>>>
>>> There is also report for Delphi IDE high DPI awareness
>>> https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9678
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I had some private mail conversation with Marco about this topic lately
>> pointing him to the URL of this tutorial.
>>
>> He said he had read it and for XE8 some improvements in this area are
>> being planned or at least looked at which are regarding font sizing and
>> the IDE would profit from them as well.
>>

> Great news.

Yep. ;-) (writing this while installing XE7 update 1 which is great
except the fact that they didn't change status of some QP reports which
were fixed in update 1 to fixed - not sure what the politics about those is)

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/24/2014 8:43:55 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> Am 24.11.2014 20:39, schrieb Dalija Prasnikar:
> >> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I had some private mail conversation with Marco about this topic lately
> >> pointing him to the URL of this tutorial.
> >>
> >> He said he had read it and for XE8 some improvements in this area are
> >> being planned or at least looked at which are regarding font sizing and
> >> the IDE would profit from them as well.
> >>

> > Great news.
> >

> Yep. ;-) (writing this while installing XE7 update 1 which is great
> except the fact that they didn't change status of some QP reports which
> were fixed in update 1 to fixed - not sure what the politics about those is)

Changing status of QP reports - there is no policy, you just have to remind them to do so :)

Usually it can take them few days after the release/update to do so on their own, but
if it doesn't happen you need to give them gentle push.

--
Dalija Prasnikar
0
Am 25.11.2014 11:11, schrieb Dalija Prasnikar:
>> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}

>>> Great news.
>>>

>> Yep. ;-) (writing this while installing XE7 update 1 which is great
>> except the fact that they didn't change status of some QP reports which
>> were fixed in update 1 to fixed - not sure what the politics about those is)
>>

> Changing status of QP reports - there is no policy, you just have to remind them to do so :)
>
> Usually it can take them few days after the release/update to do so on their own, but
> if it doesn't happen you need to give them gentle push.

Hello,

this is quite bad as it will lead to even more "trash" in QP than in QC
in no time! They really should adopt one now!

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/25/2014 9:01:00 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> Am 25.11.2014 11:11, schrieb Dalija Prasnikar:
> >
> > Changing status of QP reports - there is no policy, you just have to remind them to do so :)
> >
> > Usually it can take them few days after the release/update to do so on their own, but
> > if it doesn't happen you need to give them gentle push.
> >

> Hello,
>
> this is quite bad as it will lead to even more "trash" in QP than in QC
> in no time! They really should adopt one now!

I was referring to QC too, It looks like there is no much difference in way they handle QP and QC.
But it is still too early to tell.

--
Dalija Prasnikar
0

Delphi developers who are also Python developers [Edit]
I'm interested in knowing how many Delphi developers here also have expert level skills in Python/Django web-framework and use the same in production / at work? How long did it take you to get started and then up and running? What were the best resources that helped in learning learn Python/Django? What are the difficult topics to master? I'm applying for a job here in Nigeria that requires Python/Django, but have only PHP (and some Zend framework) skills. I'm wondering how quickly I will be able to pick up Python and then get up and running with Django. -- Steve...

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Cannot use Microsoft Excel when a Delphi application that uses automat. run [Edit]
Dear all, I built an application that connect to an Excel file using a OleObject: Excel := CreateOleObject('Excel.Application'); LCID := GetUserDefaultLCID; all works fine but I cannot use Microsoft Excel externally when my application is running. If I try to open another xls file, Excel tries to open the file in my Delphi application in read only mode. It does not even show it properly but opens a weir transparent application. I just want to be able to use Excel externally and I'd like the instance opened by my Delphi application to be independent from other Exc...

What pattern use? How to use these patterns in Delphi XE 3? Developing new
My firwst post here, and i REALLY need yours help... My main objective is to create a _*standard system to register products, clients, sell items, control stock*_, and so on. I want to use *Multi Tier, using Datasnap*, I dont want the classic client-server systems. There are several considerations I would like to discuss: 1 - I really want to do a *GOOD system, using patters* to make easier maintenance. I have read about MVC, saw some examples, but I read examples using Interfaces, and other posts in internet say Interfaces are bad. *MVC is good for this kind of system*? 2 - I wan...

New to Delphi
Hi I am new to Delphi & want to know good resources for learning to use it. Is there a list of good Delphi learning resources (books/online tutorials) somewhere? What recommendations can anyone make for someone new to Delphi (& only a hobby programmer at the moment)? A couple of weeks ago I started with DelphiXE4 trial & have Googled for a few Delphi resources but I haven't found anything very good yet for me as a beginner. I'm just struggling along trying to learn as I go! (I'm presently struggling with DragandDrop...see [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17232...

delphi Win32 using delphi .NET dll

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

To use or not to use Delphi
Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two threads, for and against using Delphi in new projects, with more or less the same users posting in both threads. Arguments are fiercely debated in both camps. Borland had their own vision. As a community, now that Delphi has changed ownership I believe we should try to be more consistent, more clear, and more articulate in what we expect from Embercadero in terms of Delphi. We can contribute to keeping Delphi alive and moving in the right direction. "Laurent Cocea" schrieb: > Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race ... <snip> Some people go fishing, some go to the movies, some like to take long walks on the beach, and then some like to type their fingers bloody discussing totally irrelevant issues on public Newsgroups. And my wife likes to watch soap operas and follow posts from a forum where new-baked parents are discussing their kids-issues. Everyone needs a hobby :-) Regards, Danijel Laurent Cocea wrote: > Sadly, it seems to me that there is a sort of race between the two > threads They're essentially the same thread with a little more trolling in one than the other. Lots of free time over the holidays and all. I think the discussion in general is a good thing, though. Help remind people why a tool like Delphi is worth while, and maybe even shed some light on some of the things that still need attention. I still learn about ...

Problem using InstallAware 7 CodeGear Special Edition with Delphi 2010 [Edit]
Hi Everyone, I am trying to create an installation disk for my delphi 2010 application using the installAware that kind of comes with Delphi 2010. When I try to built it, it keeps giving me the error message:- No files matching pattern "C:\Windows\system32\\*120.bpl" and when I look into my windows\system32 folder, there the files with extension *.bpl end with *140.bpl and not *120.bpl like it was expected. Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong or how I can get around this. Thanks in advance. Edited by: Tat Hon Chu on Dec 3, 2009 12:55 AM > {quo...

ANN: wxForms for Delphi

can i use delphi 2007 bpls in delphi 2009

Any where to offer services as Delphi/Delphi for PHP freelance developer?
Hi, I'm a freelance Software Engineer. One of many that in current difficult days, is pushing for self-employment... offering services as Business Analyst and Developer, using Delphi, Delphi for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Any where in this forum or other you might know where to offer these services to the world? Thank you, Guillermo Guillermo, The Delphi for PHP forum does have For Hire and Wanted For Hire sections if you haven't seen those yet: http://forums.delphi-php.net/ Thanks. -Phil > {quote:title=Guillermo Najar wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I&#...

Is dll developed in Delphi 6 works on Delphi 2?
I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was developed in Delphi 2 use that dll.? If not, please let me know in which areas i need change. The dll work is only to print and email. With regards, Srikanth Varma Srikanth varma wrote: > I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal > vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was > developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was developed > in Delphi 2 use that dll.? Delphi 2, really? That version is, what, 15 years out of date... It all depends on the DLL interface, which types of parameters are passed to the DLL, whether it needs to use a shared memory manager with the host exe, or even share packages with the host. If the DLL was build using Windows API compatible parameter types only it should work. -- Peter Below (TeamB) Don't be a vampire (http://slash7.com/pages/vampires), use the newsgroup archives : http://codenewsfast.com http://groups.google.com > It all depends on the DLL interface, which types of parameters are > passed to the DLL, whether it needs to use a shared memory manager with > the host exe, or even share packages with the host. If the DLL was > build using Windows API compatible parameter types only it should work. The dll work is to create a...

Hello, we have one Delphi 2005 Professional here and want to upgrade to Delphi 2010, but we are a bit confused. Our distributor in Germany, ingram-micro offers several upgrade products: UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER FLEX RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - UPG UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED ELC UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED FLEX UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT FLEX What do they mean exactly and which one do i need? At the moment delphi is installed on two PCs and we want to use ...

Delphi vs Winform
This might be a little techie, but I think most people here are familiar with Delphi to understand the difference between a TWinControl and TGraphicControl. I was trying to create a C# Winform project based on a Delphi prototype and ran into this problem which I posted to some Winform forums ... This led me to an *obvious* deficiency in Winforms programming. I'd like to hear your thoughts. My question to the Winforms forums describing the problem is copied below: <snip> Hi, I mostly do Delphi development but would like to start my next small work project in Visual S...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Widen the delphi developer demographic in wake of the release of Delphi X2.
I appreciate this question has been asked a million times, but there is an opportunity here for a massive resurrection of delphi mindshare with the release of XE2. What do you think emb's strategy should be? I understand that its not just a matter of pricing but pricing is a major factor if you just want to develop the skills to use the product in the commerical environment. Will cross-platform capabilities give delphi the cool factor? RealBasic is cross-platform but it doesn''t have a cool factor for me, I think because of the language. Does object pascal have the same s...

MOVED: Use Delphi XE TLB importer in Delphi 2007?
....to the ActiveX group: https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=47170 -- Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/ ...

ShowMessage/MessagDlg wordwrap Delphi 2006
Hi, I have used Delphi 2006 up to now. ShowMessage allowed a long text without a word wrapping. Now with Delphi XE I notice that a migrated program shows smaller message window sizes and a previously carefully aligned message now appears wrapped and misaligned. How to get back to the previous behaviour? I'm not experienced to create my custom form, so a code snippet may help. Thanks, Uli Edited by: Ulrich Brueggemann on Sep 18, 2010 8:46 AM > I have used Delphi 2006 up to now. > ShowMessage allowed a long text without a word wrapping. > > Now with Delphi ...

Web resources about - A Delphi Developers Guide for 4K Displays [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Apple releases OS X 10.11.4 developer + public beta 5
One week after the last public beta and 9 days after the last developer beta, Apple has released OS X 10.11.4 beta 5 for both developers and ...

Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 5 to registered developers, public testers
Apple has just released a new beta version of iOS 9.3 to registered developers and public testers. The fifth beta version is available to download ...

Developer criticises Microsoft's 'monopolizing' approach to apps and gaming in Windows 10
... in control of what hits the App Store. With Windows 10, Microsoft is trying to blur the boundaries between mobile and non-mobile, and developers ...

Developer says Adblock Plus used a 'ridiculous' trademark complaint to get Apple to remove his ad blocker ...
The developer behind a new ad blocker, Magic Adblock, claims Adblock Plus used a "ridiculous" trademark complaint to force the app out of Apple's ...

HoloLens developer edition features Skype, games, HoloStudio builder
Even though preorders officially launched this morning, developers still need an invitation from Microsoft (and a few thousand dollars) to place ...

Developers, get started coding for tvOS
With millions of people using tvOS, it’s earned its bona fides as a major platform. Whether you’re an experienced developer looking for new territory ...

Razer reveals the first games for its VR developer kit
Razer and the OSVR alliance have been working on their developer-ready VR headset for a while, but they haven't said much about what you'll play ...

Microsoft releases HoloLens to developers
Company moves ahead of rivals in race to sell augmented reality devices