Using Indy components with Delphi 7

First question:  Should I update the Indy components (I'm using the ones which shipped with Delphi 7, Professional version).

Second question:  How can I get started in developing an application that will connect to an existing web service for the purpose of receiving som XML data?  I need help in what components to use, property settings, and all the rest.  I'm having a heck of a time finding detailed, straight forward information.

Thanks
Jim Sawyer
DataWare
0
Jim

> {quote:title=Jim Sawyer wrote:}{quote}
> First question:  Should I update the Indy components (I'm using the ones which shipped with Delphi 7, Professional version).

In my opinion, yes.  Indy 9 is no longer being developed.

> Second question:  How can I get started in developing an application that will connect to an existing web service for the purpose of receiving som XML data?  I need help in what components to use, property settings, and all the rest.  I'm having a heck of a time finding detailed, straight forward information.

If it's a REST web service, then you could use IdHTTP get and parse the XML yourself.

Unfortunately, Delphi 7's SOAP support isn't the greatest, but you can upgrade the WSDL import and runtimes to Delphi 2007 levels, which is much better.  Keep in mind that this updates the command line WSDL importer and not the one embedded in the IDE.

http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/24535

Good luck.

--
Regards
Bruce McGee

> {quote:title=Bruce McGee wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Jim Sawyer wrote:}{quote}
> > First question:  Should I update the Indy components (I'm using the ones which shipped with Delphi 7, Professional version).
>
> In my opinion, yes.  Indy 9 is no longer being developed.
>

> > Second question:  How can I get started in developing an application that will connect to an existing web service for the purpose of receiving som XML data?  I need help in what components to use, property settings, and all the rest.  I'm having a heck of a time finding detailed, straight forward information.
>
> If it's a REST web service, then you could use IdHTTP get and parse the XML yourself.
>
> Unfortunately, Delphi 7's SOAP support isn't the greatest, but you can upgrade the WSDL import and runtimes to Delphi 2007 levels, which is much better.  Keep in mind that this updates the command line WSDL importer and not the one embedded in the IDE.
>
> http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/24535
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Regards
> Bruce McGee
> Glooscap Software
0
Jim
11/25/2011 8:06:55 PM
> {quote:title=Jim Sawyer wrote:}{quote}
> For better or for worse, I'm stuck with D7, mostly because many of the third party stuff I use doesn't exist for later Delphis, and I have a couple hundred clients in the field to support.

I hear you.  I still have a couple of projects that are still being maintained in Delphi 7.

> I think I'll take your advice and upgrade Indy, but does anyone know of a source of fairly elementary instruction for developint the capability for connecting to an existing web service, receive XML data, and communicate back and forth as necessary?

Bob Swart wrote a quick tutorial that is based on Delphi 7.  Remember, you'll probably need the command line import upgrade, but it can't hurt to try the one that shipped with Delphi 7 first.  You never know...

http://www.drbob42.com/examines/examin45.htm

--
Regards
Bruce McGee
Jim Sawyer wrote:

>For better or for worse, I'm stuck with D7, mostly because many of
>the third party stuff I use doesn't exist for later Delphis, and I
>have a couple hundred clients in the field to support.  I think I'll

I was under the impression that most of those components will compile
reasonably well under d2007, but you must have all sources 9i'm not
sure if quickreport was delivered with 2007). Anywhay, if you have all
source its wurth a shot i guess.
0
Marius
11/25/2011 10:50:51 PM
On 2011-11-25 15:06:55 -0500, Jim Sawyer <> said:

> does anyone know of a source of fairly elementary instruction for
> developint the capability for connecting to an existing web service,
> receive XML data, and communicate back and forth as necessary?

There are several accepted methods to communicate via a web service,
which is just XML data transmitted via HTTP/HTTPS. In order of
complexity to implement, they are: SOAP, XML-RPC, and REST.  It's
important to know which one the web service implements.

Other than SOAP, you should find that working with a web service isn't
overly difficult.  One thing you'll likely need is a XML parser.  For
parsing XML without external dependancies and in a way that you'll
probably find easier than MSXML, you might consider two popular native
VCL parsers.  NativeXML and OmniXML.

http://www.simdesign.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2089/
http://omnixml.com/

Personally, I use NativeXML, but I know that others have been happy
with OmniXML as well.  Both are free and open source.

Post some more details about the web service itself and you'll probably
get a few more hints from people here.

--
Kevin Powick
0

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

DesignIDE package and porting Delphi 7 components to Delphi XE2
HI I am porting components from Delphi7 to Delphi XE2, and started run in problems regarding MaskProp.dcu, some of the components uses this, and is looking for TMaskProperty class. After a lot of browsing on the net i figured out that all these units is packaged in the designide.dcp. So i have the design time component in a package that requires the designide.dcp and then the runtime component package that reguires the designtime package for the component. In the runtime component package i get errors regarding the MaskProp.dcu and the TMaskProperty class. I dont know what to do from ...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7
I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms. View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself. Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties. Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying? > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote} > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I h...

Tell us about your favorite tools and components you use with Delphi Prism
We'd like your opinion on the best add-ons, tools, and component sets that you use with Delphi Prism, Delphi, and C++Builder. We'll use the information to highlight some of our users' favorite products on our web site in the coming months. Tell us about your favorites here: Delphi Prism - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=u0MuvK9Qikvc97_2bzA4W1QA_3d_3d Delphi - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GBvpD4z7nfeovw53WM5_2bYw_3d_3d C++Builder - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=UAw1LpTD5xe6u3BeEg1qsA_3d_3d Thanks, Tim ----- Tim Del Chiaro Embarcadero Te...

delphi 7 Indy 9 and Indy 10
Hi, I can upgrade to indy 10 in delphi 7. But I have discover that indy 9 and Indy 10 have some different properties, so i had to change my old programs that were made in indy 9 to upgrade it to new version, but it is a long work. So I want to know if it is possible to install in the same delphi 7 both versions indy 10 and indy 9. I have tried to do it but i received a error message: Cannot load package 'IndySystem70'. It contains unit 'IdWinSock2', which is also contained in package 'Indy70'. Some can give me ideas or a link to read how to install both versi...

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Web resources about - Using Indy components with Delphi 7 - embarcadero.delphi.tools

AirAsia disaster: Indonesia cites faulty component, crew response in crash
Pilots appear to have reset the computer system's circuit breaker, leading to a series of failures that caused them to lose control of the plane ...

It’s a new year, and time for the claimed iPhone 7 component photos to begin
Taiwanese site Apple Club has posted what it claims are leaked photos of iPhone 7 components. The photos appear to show the backlight of a new ...

Japan follows US lead in banning certain Takata components
Filed under: Government/Legal , Safety , Japan Like the US, Japan will ban certain Takata's airbag inflators from vehicles in development, and ...

Lumentum, Fabrinet: Component Makers at Start of 5-Year Boom, Says Needham
Needham & Co .’s Alex Henderson today advises fiber optics enthusiasts to look to component makers , such as Lumentum ( LITE ), in 2016, more ...

Samsung reportedly lost key iPhone 7 component business
... for Samsung , which is ironic considering the two companies are fierce rivals in the mobile business. The Korean giant produces various components ...

Solar Power Is Booming and Its Biggest Component Is Dirt Cheap
Prices for polysilicon, the main ingredient in solar cells, have dropped to a record low amid a supply glut that won’t end soon.

Crew, faulty component caused AirAsia crash
Indonesian investigators said crew action and a faulty component caused the AirAsia jet crash in the Java Sea last year, killing 162 passengers. ...

Immigration Law Enforcement: A Vital Component Of National Security And Counterterrorism
While the administration claims that these refugees are being vetted, there is no way to actually screen these people

John Ridley Extends ABC Studios Deal For Three More Years; Film Component Added
John Ridley and his production arm, International Famous Players Radio Picture Corporation, have extended their first-look deal with ABC Studios ...