MIDA - Vcl To FireMonkey converter - Available [Edit]

This message is no longer available.
0
Mida

> {quote:title=Mida FireMonkey wrote:}{quote}
> I am here to present the immediate availability of the best converter from VCL to Firemonkey.
>

> More than 200 components converted to the nearest component firemonkey.
>
> I remember that the two technologies are very different, can not ‘exist a true total conversion. but you can get a new project with a few change can be compiled in Firemonkey.
>
> With the next versions will update the database conversion ( online ), for example when it is available for a real TRichEdit under FM, MIDA will convert automatically the old TRichEdit.
>
> The time to create MIDA was rather long and complex.
>

> The program is available at a price of:
>
> 99 Euro or 133 U.S. Dollar
>
> for info and orders send an email at Mida.FireMonkey@gmail.com
>

> Requests to extend the number of supported components can be made to the email above.
>

> VCL form :
> http://midafiremonkey.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/vcl_v82.png
>

> form converted in FM :
> http://midafiremonkey.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/firemonkey_v82.png
>

> Best Regards.
>
> http://midafiremonkey.wordpress.com

Excuse me for mentioning this, but "you" have been posting things here for a little while now teasing us about something that is now appearing to be a commercial product.  I don't mind that it's a commercial product, but hosting this on a free wordpress.com site and not giving a name, contact info, or anything, then expecting people to send you over $100 USD is pretty lame, IMHO.

That's one-third the cost of upgrading Delphi.  Nobody here has a clue who you are, where you live, or if we'll even see anything once we send the money.  I mean, all you say is to send an email to a generic mailbox on GMail.

I don't mind sending $5 or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern Europe or outer Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100 or more!

Why don't you get yourself a domain name *that's not using an Embarcadero Trademark, or something so similar it's hard to tell the difference* and set up a real website with real contact info and a real support desk.

In other words, if you want to do business with real business people, you really should consider that hiding in the shadows is not exactly the best way to launch a business or encourage sales.

-David
0
David
10/8/2011 1:10:42 AM
Yes we need a full person and business name and postal address.

I don't care about the domain.

But it does look good. Unfortunately he doesn't want to share the source code even for payed customers.
0
Tobias
10/8/2011 8:20:31 AM
Good tips. But who is David Schwartz?

http://www.davidschwartz.com/ or
shure not http://cornerstone.wwwhubs.com/David_Schwartz.html or ....

I could not find a serious answer in the web. No domain name in your
email adress.

> I remember that the two technologies are very different, can not
> ‘exist a true total conversion. but you can get a new project with
> a few change can be compiled in Firemonkey.

This is the task of the program.

> In other words, if you want to do business with real business people,
> you really should consider that hiding in the shadows is not exactly
> the best way to launch a business or encourage sales.

Thats right!

Joachim

David Schwartz wrote:

> Excuse me for mentioning this, but "you" have been posting things
> here for a little while now teasing us about something that is now
> appearing to be a commercial product.

> I don't mind that it's a
> commercial product, but hosting this on a free wordpress.com site and
> not giving a name, contact info, or anything, then expecting people
> to send you over $100 USD is pretty lame, IMHO.

> That's one-third the cost of upgrading Delphi.  Nobody here has a
> clue who you are, where you live, or if we'll even see anything once
> we send the money.  I mean, all you say is to send an email to a
> generic mailbox on GMail.

> I don't mind sending $5 or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern
> Europe or outer Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100
> or more!

> Why don't you get yourself a domain name *that's not using an
> Embarcadero Trademark, or something so similar it's hard to tell the
> difference* and set up a real website with real contact info and a
> real support desk.

> In other words, if you want to do business with real business people,
> you really should consider that hiding in the shadows is not exactly
> the best way to launch a business or encourage sales.
0
Joachim
10/8/2011 9:53:17 AM
We are a company that provides software development services in Europe for 12 years.

The official site of the new MIDA project has already been created is nearing completion.

My name is Mauro Botta and i'm administrator and leader development.

The site of MIDA have 5000 visits per month and 80% of customers use PAYPAL for payment.

*I remind you that PayPal offers a complete assistance in case of problems with reimbursement.*

although until now has never been necessary;)

The email of PAYPAL indicate my name and the name of society.

Best Regards
Mauro Botta
0
Mida
10/8/2011 4:25:09 PM
> {quote:title=Joachim Uersfeld wrote:}{quote}
> Good tips. But who is David Schwartz?
>
> http://www.davidschwartz.com/ or
> shure not http://cornerstone.wwwhubs.com/David_Schwartz.html or ....
>
> I could not find a serious answer in the web. No domain name in your
> email adress.
>

> Joachim

Why do you make this about the guy who asks a legitimate question?

I'm not promoting anything here, nor am I using an alias in this forum to tease people with what are apparently lies and a dubious offer.

(He originally said he's not the author, but a "beta tester".  Now he says it's his company.  Which is it?)

-David
0
David
10/8/2011 5:58:11 PM
> {quote:title=Mida FireMonkey wrote:}{quote}
> We are a company that provides software development services in Europe for 12 years.
>
> The official site of the new MIDA project has already been created is nearing completion.
>
> My name is Mauro Botta and i'm administrator and leader development.
>
> The site of MIDA have 5000 visits per month and 80% of customers use PAYPAL for payment.
>

> *I remind you that PayPal offers a complete assistance in case of problems with reimbursement.*
>

> although until now has never been necessary;)
>
> The email of PAYPAL indicate my name and the name of society.
>
> Best Regards
> Mauro Botta

"The site of MIDA have 5000 visits per month"  -- an interesting statistic for a site that has not yet been published.

"*I remind you that PayPal offers a complete assistance in case of problems with reimbursement.*"

Someone needs to remind YOU that PayPal offers *NO* buyer protection for "digital goods", which includes software.

PAYPAL USER AGREEMENT:

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection. The following are examples of items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection.

* Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.

* Intangible items, including Digital Goods, and services.

If you file a dispute against a software vendor for a digital good purchased using PayPal on their website, and then raise it to a claim, it will be immediately closed-out and you will get nothing.  You have no business mis-representing PayPal's Terms of Service in a public forum.

The term "Firemonkey" that you are using in your product description is a trademark owned by Embarcadero.

*Your forum handle, "Mida Firemonkey" implies you may be associated with Embarcadero in some way.*  You clearly are *not*, and if I were them, I'd slap you for using their trademarks to further your own personal business goals.  If you haven't noticed, most people here are identified by their REAL NAMES.

Also, the term "MIDA" is so close to Embarcadero's trademarked term "Midas" that if I were them, I'd be sending you a cease and desist order.

In your initial post about this, you claimed you were a "beta tester".  Now you're saying this is a product of your own company and you are "leader development".  Which is it?

It does not take much to set up a web site.  In my experience, people who set up sites to lure people into private off-site transactions using free web hosting services are almost guaranteed to be scammers.  And most seem to be located in Europe and Asia.

I can have a website set up and ready to take secure payments for a digital product in about 15 minutes -- from buying the domain name, setting up an account on my host, adding a domain-specific mailbox, installing software, writing a simple description of the product, and testing it.  It may not be pretty, but it's complete, ready-to-go, complete with Terms, Privacy Notice, and Contact info.

I do not use free hosting services, incorporate trademarked terms in my product names, identify myself only by a "handle" or "The Management", and tell people to contact me via an anonymous free email account somewhere.

I do, however, take advantage of services offered by domain registrars to keep my domain registration info private so as to avoid being contacted by scammers.  People can still contact me through the registrar if they really want to, but it keeps the "cherry picker" scammers away.

Anyway, this isn't about me.  Software people are a very conservative and distrusting bunch.  Offers in these forums tend to get buried in criticism.  In my opinion, the best way to succeed when marketing to hard-core software developers is to be as straightforward and transparent as possible.  This series of posts has raised more questions than answers for me.  I don't care how great the software is, engaging in transactions with people in a country other than your own is risky business because there are
 effectively no international buyer protections.  I'm extremely cautious when it comes to buying digital products online that cost over $25 or so that are being sold on foreign websites, especially when they have all the hallmarks that are characteristics of how scammers operate.

Note: this isn't a personal attack.  I don't know anything about you.  Which is the point.  You have deliberately engaged in a series of posts here that, all totaled, have only described a software product.  You have not made any effort to give potential buyers any sense of WHO they're dealing with or WHY they should feel comfortable doing business with you.  For a $5-$10, I don't care.  For something priced at $100+ USD, forget about it.  It's too risky, IMHO, given the approach you've chosen to take.

But that's just me.  Maybe others here are happy to send money to you after contacting you privately, not knowing anything more than what has been disclosed thus far.

-David
0
David
10/8/2011 6:35:06 PM
> Why do you make this about the guy who asks a legitimate question?

Because such rules apply to all.

Joachim

> > Good tips. But who is David Schwartz?
> > I could not find a serious answer in the web. No domain name in your
> > email adress.
> > Joachim
>
> Why do you make this about the guy who asks a legitimate question?

> I'm not promoting anything here, nor am I using an alias in this
> forum to tease people with what are apparently lies and a dubious
> offer.
> (He originally said he's not the author, but a "beta tester".  Now he
> says it's his company.  Which is it?)
0
Joachim
10/8/2011 7:21:01 PM
> {quote:title=Joachim Uersfeld wrote:}{quote}
> > Why do you make this about the guy who asks a legitimate question?
>
> Because such rules apply to all.
>
> Joachim

so set an example for all of us to follow...
0
David
10/8/2011 7:49:14 PM
> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}

> so set an example for all of us to follow...

Thanks for your vote. I've been saying that for years. People don't listen...
0
Captain
10/8/2011 8:28:09 PM
> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}
>  the term "MIDA" is so close to Embarcadero's trademarked term "Midas" that if I were them, I'd be sending you a cease and desist order.

Tell me I misread it and you are not that dumb!
0
Captain
10/8/2011 8:34:52 PM
> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}

> "The site of MIDA have 5000 visits per month"  -- an interesting statistic for a site that has not yet been published.

You are scoring even more! How do you know that?
0
Captain
10/8/2011 8:36:57 PM
David Schwartz wrote:

> Also, the term "MIDA" is so close to Embarcadero's trademarked term
> "Midas"

Actually, EMBT *doesn't* have any trademark on "MiDAS", hence the need
to change it to DataSnap a while back.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
Joachim Uersfeld wrote:

> Because such rules apply to all.

I don't think David Schwartz ever said anything but that his rule
regarding appropriate product advertising should apply to everyone
posting product advertisements. <g>

--
Posted with StreamSec Newsreader 0.9.0.5
http://newsreader.streamsec.net
David Schwartz wrote:

> In your initial post about this, you claimed you were a "beta
> tester".  Now you're saying this is a product of your own company and
> you are "leader development".  Which is it?

AFAICT there is a chance that they are two different individuals
although both located in Italy.

But for the rest of your post ... I agree.

--
Pieter

"Why did God create dentists? -- In his infinite love, he
 thought it would be charitable to His creatures to let them
 see what Hell is like, during their lives." -- PhR
0
Pieter
10/9/2011 1:04:53 AM
Pieter you're right. David is doing a lot of confusion.

This is my first post.

The old posts on MIDA was of Mark Emilthon , a uk man, my friend , first beta tester. Live in Italy.

> {quote:title=Pieter Zijlstra wrote:}{quote}
> David Schwartz wrote:
>
> > In your initial post about this, you claimed you were a "beta
> > tester".  Now you're saying this is a product of your own company and
> > you are "leader development".  Which is it?
>
> AFAICT there is a chance that they are two different individuals
> although both located in Italy.
>
> But for the rest of your post ... I agree.
>
> --
> Pieter
0
Mida
10/9/2011 1:41:52 AM
Mida FireMonkey wrote:

> Pieter you're right.

I love to hear that ;-)

> David is doing a lot of confusion.

No not really he's just expressing some concerns, it is your posts that
started his "confusion".

> The old posts on MIDA was of Mark Emilthon , a uk man, my friend ,
> first beta tester. Live in Italy.

Here's my problem your UK-man did have a certain posting style that is
pretty close to your posting style. Besides that your UK-man kinda
sucks at using proper English.

But besides that, if you want to promote your product you should do
that in the third-party groups like:
nntp://forums.embarcadero.com/embarcadero.public.delphi.thirdpartytools.general
- or -
https://forums.embarcadero.com/forum.jspa?forumID=92&start=0

--
Pieter

"The difference between our decadence and the Russians' is that
 while theirs is brutal, ours is apathetic."
 -- James Thurber
0
Pieter
10/9/2011 2:31:38 AM
> {quote:title=Henrick Hellström wrote:}{quote}
> Joachim Uersfeld wrote:
>
> > Because such rules apply to all.
>
> I don't think David Schwartz ever said anything but that his rule
> regarding appropriate product advertising should apply to everyone
> posting product advertisements. <g>

What the HECK are you guys talking about?

If I say it's not smart to walk down dark alleys at night, then that's "my rule"???

It's "common sense"!

What I said was also fairly "common sense".  Not some kind of "rule".

But apparently it did not occur to the poster -- or either of them if there were two.

-David
0
David
10/9/2011 6:11:26 AM
> {quote:title=Nick Hodges wrote:}{quote}
> David Schwartz wrote:
>
> > Also, the term "MIDA" is so close to Embarcadero's trademarked term
> > "Midas"
>
> Actually, EMBT *doesn't* have any trademark on "MiDAS", hence the need
> to change it to DataSnap a while back.

Sorry, I guess that means this "product" apparently named "MIDA FireMonkey" won't get confused with "Midas" that runs under "FireMonkey"?  And it's clearly not associated with Embarcadero, either.

It's just a darn poor name for a product, IMHO.

-David
0
David
10/9/2011 6:16:52 AM
David Schwartz wrote:

> What the HECK are you guys talking about?

Short story: I'm with you in this case.

I understand you were talking about what is the best self intersest of
a vendor marketing his or her product, but even if we accept Joachim's
interpretation that you set out a rule (for the sake of argument, can
you do that?), it's inherently pointless to argue that "such rules
apply to all" in order to widen the scope of the rule.

Example:
Don't drive on the left side of a French road.

To say that this rule applies to all *should* mean that everyone
driving on a French road should drive on the rigth side. You clearly
can't infer that it should apply to everyone driving on any road
anywhere in the world. If someone were to argue that you should drive
on the right side of a British road as well, they don't have a problem
with the application of the original rule, but with the fact that
everyone drives on the left side of British roads.

Joachim did the same thing to your argument. There is nothing in what
you wrote that implies that no one ought to be anonymous when posting
to these newsgroups. *If* a rule might be formulated based on your
arguments, it would apply only to people posting advertisments. By
arguing "such rule apply to all" Joachim seems to imply that there is
something wrong with a rule with a narrow scope, but it's not. All
rules have a scope.

--
Posted with StreamSec Newsreader 0.9.0.5
http://newsreader.streamsec.net
0
Utf
10/9/2011 9:12:48 AM
Mida FireMonkey wrote:

> Pieter you're right. David is doing a lot of confusion.
>
> This is my first post.
>
> The old posts on MIDA was of Mark Emilthon , a uk man, my friend ,
> first beta tester. Live in Italy.

All that aside, you should have posted to
embarcadero.public.delphi.thirdpartytools.general, where 3rd party
announcements belong.

--
Posted with StreamSec Newsreader 0.9.0.5
http://newsreader.streamsec.net
0
Utf
10/9/2011 10:21:45 AM
On 10/7/2011 2:54 AM, Mida FireMonkey wrote:
> I am here to present the immediate availability of the best converter from VCL to Firemonkey.
>

> More than 200 components converted to the nearest component firemonkey.
>
> I remember that the two technologies are very different, can not ‘exist a true total conversion. but you can get a new project with a few change can be compiled in Firemonkey.
>
> With the next versions will update the database conversion ( online ), for example when it is available for a real TRichEdit under FM, MIDA will convert automatically the old TRichEdit.
>
> The time to create MIDA was rather long and complex.
>

> The program is available at a price of:
>
> 99 Euro or 133 U.S. Dollar
>
> for info and orders send an email at Mida.FireMonkey@gmail.com
>

> Requests to extend the number of supported components can be made to the email above.
>

> VCL form :
> http://midafiremonkey.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/vcl_v82.png
>

> form converted in FM :
> http://midafiremonkey.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/firemonkey_v82.png
>

> Best Regards.
>
> http://midafiremonkey.wordpress.com

I don't understand how you expect to get any customers with a free
blogging web site and gmail address.
Are you kidding? Or maybe you're 13.
Please make a decent web site with your own domain name, a real email
address and a real physical contact address with a phone (or Skype).
Don't insult your visitors (I can't call them prospects, for I can't
imagine anyone would purchase anything from a gmail paypal account).

Cheers.
0
Mihaela
10/9/2011 10:50:58 AM
Hi

We're having an good sales success, we can not handle all emails quickly and 'waiting for the license is becoming a bit too long.

We apologize for the wait.

We are activating the download via ShareIT which will be active in the coming days.

Best Regards

Mauro Botta

@ Mihaela Mihalje

PayPal is NOT on Gmail account. read top message...
0
Mida
10/9/2011 1:21:37 PM
On 10/9/2011 3:21 PM, Mida FireMonkey wrote:
> Hi
>
> We're having an good sales success, we can not handle all emails quickly and 'waiting for the license is becoming a bit too long.
>
> We apologize for the wait.
>
> We are activating the download via ShareIT which will be active in the coming days.

This is surely a joke.

In contrast to:

http://www.be-precision.com/products/
They have a great set of products, proffessional and comprehensive web
site, and very low prices.

All your product does is convert VCL to FireMonkey for $ 133 ! And with
such a bad "business infrastracture". I don't beleive that you sold a
single copy, nor that you will, unless you change your "business
practice" and lower the price.
What's suprising to me though is that you find all this criticism
insulting, and not constructive. All of us here are your prospects, and
you should be thankful for our input and not defensive.
0
Mihaela
10/9/2011 2:03:42 PM
This is not product that has a long lifetime, focusing on a current demand in it's current state. I don't know where these guys do come from sounds Italian,... but also there what you make today no other makes tomorrow if you are the first you have the better cards. How many of such converters do you think will come? They will grow like the weeds ... the moment the Firemonkey will become accepted.

Form a sustain-abilities perspective they will have to change on a mid term. Today you provide products within 2 months ... this is normal and the website ... is afterwards. They are selling to developers ... these are not end customers ...  For your business this would not work for developer to developer a blog and Paypal in the first steps is definitely enough.

Thank you for the be-precision link ... I lost their website address ...

Mike

> {quote:title=Mihaela Mihaljevic Jakic wrote:}{quote}
> On 10/9/2011 3:21 PM, Mida FireMonkey wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > We're having an good sales success, we can not handle all emails quickly and 'waiting for the license is becoming a bit too long.
> >
> > We apologize for the wait.
> >
> > We are activating the download via ShareIT which will be active in the coming days.
>
> This is surely a joke.
>
> In contrast to:
>
> http://www.be-precision.com/products/
> They have a great set of products, proffessional and comprehensive web
> site, and very low prices.
>
> All your product does is convert VCL to FireMonkey for $ 133 ! And with
> such a bad "business infrastracture". I don't beleive that you sold a
> single copy, nor that you will, unless you change your "business
> practice" and lower the price.
> What's suprising to me though is that you find all this criticism
> insulting, and not constructive. All of us here are your prospects, and
> you should be thankful for our input and not defensive.

--
Michael Bunny [Team Tinkerbear]
0
> {quote:title=Captain America wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}
>
> > "The site of MIDA have 5000 visits per month"  -- an interesting statistic for a site that has not yet been published.
>
> You are scoring even more! How do you know that?

You're asking ME to justify a statistical claim that somebody ELSE made???  WTF?

Ok, just for the fun of it, I'll outline my reasoning....

The only URL these guys posted was to a free blog on Wordpress.com.

If this is the site he's referring to (which is not clear), then the vast majority of traffic he's getting is coming through Wordpress.com, not search engines and not from this forum.  Which means it's untargeted traffic.  IOW, it's about as meaningless as reporting "hits" on his site.  What does a homemaker in South Bend, Indiana care about a Delphi component translator?  She's simply clicking on a link at the Wordpress site that says something like, "Newly added blogs to check out!"

His first post here was about a month ago.  And you seriously believe he's up to 5000 visitors a month just from that?

Man, if that's true, this guy is definitely in the wrong business!  He can be pulling in 6-figures a month doing SEO for companies that don't get any traffic!

Google reports these search statistics:

firemonkey: 4,400 global  1,300 local (USA)  [actually, that's probably rather high since the trademark term was just coined 6 weeks ago]
mida    550,000 global   33,100 local (USA)
mida firemonkey:  -  -

His page on Wordpress.com is reporting zero backlinks, which means it's unlikely to show up very high in the search engines if there are competing sites with similar keywords.

But this is all beside the point ... he already said his "real" site is still under construction.  So ... was this "5000 visitors a month" figure representing the blog on Wordpress.com, or his self-admitted UNPUBLISHED site that's still under construction?

You seem to be on top of this, Captain America, so why don't you clarify this stuff for us?  Inquiring minds want to know.

-David
0
David
10/9/2011 4:44:29 PM
On 10/9/2011 6:13 PM, Michael Thuma wrote:
> This is not product that has a long lifetime, focusing on a current demand in it's current state. I don't know where these guys do come from sounds Italian,... but also there what you make today no other makes tomorrow if you are the first you have the better cards. How many of such converters do you think will come? They will grow like the weeds ... the moment the Firemonkey will become accepted.
>
> Form a sustain-abilities perspective they will have to change on a mid term. Today you provide products within 2 months ... this is normal and the website ... is afterwards. They are selling to developers ... these are not end customers ...  For your business this would not work for developer to developer a blog and Paypal in the first steps is definitely enough.
>
> Thank you for the be-precision link ... I lost their website address ...
>
> Mike

I'm totally impressed by their business in general. They have paid an
free products. Each product is well explained and has a corresponding
support forum (free products as well), regardless of the very low price.
Their "About" page leaves nothing unsaid. If I opt for not using
DevExpress Localizer for my app, I will be their customer.

Cheers.
Mihaela
0
Mihaela
10/9/2011 5:28:01 PM
Oh, yes. I was visiting. Last time I was there because of the Tag Cloud Control. Today I was a lot more impressed almost amazed about the overall offering. One thing is for sure, I don't know devexpress localization, the way to translate the GUI while the application is running is the only way that really works and precision supports this. We have built something similar with plain Delphi into a product with a few fields stored in the applications DB, anything else is very far away from practice. In our l
eague we don't have a demand for things like Ahead Accross or similar which pays for very complex translation processes ... to huge anything else works with people in a foreign country that know the terms people understand there. It has a good reason why SAP does it the same way, because of different terms for the same in different companies and branches. I did some translations but nothing of the classic approaches via tables has proven to support the process of translation - It is hard to stay consisten
t with naming and the conventions - it's an iterative process.

There are many nice components at an affordable price, Bergsoft too or ehLib or example. Tiny valuable add-ons. Most of the younger alternatives are rock solid today. Devexpress did a great job over a long period definitely provided a solid reliable add-on to Delphi, it is not their fault only that the whole product line is bloated. Honestly the quality improved over the last years but I remember version 1 of the TDXBar and similar ... in the very detail although under .net ... In the meanwhile I personal
ly tend to rely on things that origin in Europe or are influenced by Europeans. Little less from the coverage and little more working ... can help. It's still satisfactory but not amazing anymore, except of the analysis grid and the Pumpkin theme. The users don't know what is possible anyway ... to improve the existing and make them love the software is not dependent on grid features they like a lot more when the values on the form are applied automatically but this changing values in the grid - seems to
be at least not an Austrian requirement. They want have the work done by the computer and press one big button 'Work done'.

In my case, just this afternoon a nice man from 6 floors above who is running an engineering company (automation) came and had a look and was amazed of what Boian provides. Things he builds is still done here manually by inventing on their own ...  Of course I sit in a building with companies that focus on construction engineering and services like stuffing projects, construction engineering ...

Mike

> {quote:title=Mihaela Mihaljevic Jakic wrote:}{quote}

--
Michael Bunny [Team Tinkerbear]
0
Michael
10/9/2011 7:48:58 PM
Am 08.10.2011 22:34, schrieb Captain America:
>> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}
>>  the term "MIDA" is so close to Embarcadero's trademarked term "Midas" that if I were them, I'd be sending you a cease and desist order.
>
> Tell me I misread it and you are not that dumb!

Tell the same about APple!
In Germany they also filed a trademark in the household/kitchen area for
it's iPod so that some german vendor who named his egg cup Eipod (eEi is
the german word for egg) got sued by Apple later on because Eipod is too
similiar to iPod. So now? Such things happen!

And there are even people who fell for them. A colleague at work told me
he once made this Eipod a christmas give for a relative who first was
really enjoyed "oh, a iPod I'd wanted for quite some time already,
thanks" and then the other told him "hey, look a bit closer". Then it
was one of the worst christmas gifts ever or some such...

Such stupid things really happen!

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
10/9/2011 8:03:06 PM
Am 09.10.2011 18:44, schrieb David Schwartz:
>> {quote:title=Captain America wrote:}{quote}
>>> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}
>>
>>> "The site of MIDA have 5000 visits per month"  -- an interesting statistic for a site that has not yet been published.
>>
>> You are scoring even more! How do you know that?
>
> You're asking ME to justify a statistical claim that somebody ELSE made???  WTF?
>
> Ok, just for the fun of it, I'll outline my reasoning....
>
> The only URL these guys posted was to a free blog on Wordpress.com.
>
> If this is the site he's referring to (which is not clear), then the vast majority of traffic he's getting is coming through Wordpress.com, not search engines and not from this forum.  Which means it's untargeted traffic.  IOW, it's about as meaningless as reporting "hits" on his site.  What does a homemaker in South Bend, Indiana care about a Delphi component translator?  She's simply clicking on a link at the Wordpress site that says something like, "Newly added blogs to check out!"
>
> His first post here was about a month ago.  And you seriously believe he's up to 5000 visitors a month just from that?
>
> Man, if that's true, this guy is definitely in the wrong business!  He can be pulling in 6-figures a month doing SEO for companies that don't get any traffic!
>
> Google reports these search statistics:
>
> firemonkey: 4,400 global  1,300 local (USA)  [actually, that's probably rather high since the trademark term was just coined 6 weeks ago]
> mida    550,000 global   33,100 local (USA)
> mida firemonkey:  -  -
>
> His page on Wordpress.com is reporting zero backlinks, which means it's unlikely to show up very high in the search engines if there are competing sites with similar keywords.
>
> But this is all beside the point ... he already said his "real" site is still under construction.  So ... was this "5000 visitors a month" figure representing the blog on Wordpress.com, or his self-admitted UNPUBLISHED site that's still under construction?
>
> You seem to be on top of this, Captain America, so why don't you clarify this stuff for us?  Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> -David

I rather guess he means the normal mida site he surely has.
But: you're right about this not being too clear for us.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
10/9/2011 8:05:05 PM
> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}

> You're asking ME to justify a statistical claim that somebody ELSE made???  WTF?

+"an interesting statistic for a site that has not yet been published."+ - this is your claim. Then prove that his site has not been published. A hint: you may simply not know where/how to find it!
0
Captain
10/9/2011 10:42:00 PM
> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}

> His first post here was about a month ago.  And you seriously believe he's up to 5000 visitors a month just from that?

He clearly meant his company site, not this FireMonkey project (which may be his spare time project). You really need some reading&understanding lessons.
0
Captain
10/9/2011 10:44:48 PM
> {quote:title=Mida FireMonkey wrote:}{quote}
> Pieter you're right. David is doing a lot of confusion.
>
> This is my first post.
>
> The old posts on MIDA was of Mark Emilthon , a uk man, my friend , first beta tester. Live in Italy.

"Emilthon" is an almost unknown surname in the UK. Do you mean "Hamilton"? Emilthon looks like
an Italian phonetic spelling of how Hamilton might be pronounced by an Italian that does not
possess a good command of English pronunciation (i.e. cannot pronounce initial 'h', pronounces an 'a' like an 'e',
cannot pronounce the English 'th' sound, etc.).

Regards,

EM
0
Enquiring
10/10/2011 2:03:06 PM
Don't get confused ... simply write the blog and don't care.

These guys here are little strange.
Bunny

--
Michael Bunny [Team Tinkerbear]
0
Michael
10/10/2011 2:45:03 PM
On the contrary, "Enquiring Mind" is quite popular over there.
0
Captain
10/10/2011 8:15:00 PM
> I don't mind sending $5 or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern Europe or outer Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100 or more!
I find this to be very racist and offending. Do you imply all people in Eastern Europe are shadowy?

Edited by: Slobodan Dmitrovic on Oct 10, 2011 8:43 PM
0
Slobodan
10/11/2011 3:44:22 AM
> {quote:title=Slobodan Dmitrovic wrote:}{quote}
> > I don't mind sending $5 or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern Europe or outer Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100 or more!
> I find this to be very racist and offending. Do you imply all people in Eastern Europe are shadowy?
>
> Edited by: Slobodan Dmitrovic on Oct 10, 2011 8:43 PM

You must not have heard ... recent scientific studies have proven that people living in Eastern Europe and outer Mongolia cast bigger shadows than people in other parts of the world, making them more shadowy than most.  It is a stunning revelation, to be sure.

But since our OP is avoiding identifying himself, his whereabouts, and anything else that most people would be comfortable building trust with him, I felt it necessary to pick a random geographic association in my statement.  (Some have alluded to him being from Italy, or maybe England.  Or British living in Italy.  Or maybe India .... I dunno ... it's confusing.)

Since three of my four grandparents are from Eastern Europe, it seemed like a natural choice.  As for "outer Mongolia" ... it's an idiomatic reference we Americans use, sort of how Russians are said to "banish people to Siberia" to make them inaccessible and out-of-the-way.

-David
0
David
10/11/2011 7:43:36 AM
Joachim Uersfeld wrote:

> > Why do you make this about the guy who asks a legitimate question?
>
> Because such rules apply to all.

What rules? There has never been a rule that you must use your real
name in the forums. Some people have legitimate reasons not to use it,
actually.

Fact is that, AFAICT, David is not selling anything under that name, so
his contact address or identity don't really care.

But if I buy something for 99 Euro (or US$ 133) from someone on the
web, I would like to know a litle more.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]        http://rvelthuis.de

"A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket
 and said, 'Don't you know a cow was murdered for that jacket?'
 I said 'I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to
 kill you too'." -- George Carlin
0
Rudy
10/11/2011 9:08:04 AM
Tobias Giesen wrote:

> Yes we need a full person and business name and postal address.
>
> I don't care about the domain.
>
> But it does look good. Unfortunately he doesn't want to share the
> source code even for payed customers.

You meant "paying customers", right? <g>

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]        http://rvelthuis.de

"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
 really easy way: stop participating in it." -- Noam Chomsky
0
Rudy
10/11/2011 9:09:48 AM
Captain America wrote:

> > {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}
>
> > You're asking ME to justify a statistical claim that somebody ELSE
> > made???  WTF?
>
> +"an interesting statistic for a site that has not yet been
> published."+ - this is your claim. Then prove that his site has not
> been published. A hint: you may simply not know where/how to find it!

If it is so hard to find, how does it get 5000 hits?

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]        http://rvelthuis.de

"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."
 -- Bob Metcalfe (inventor of Ethernet) on the trend of hardware
    speedups not being able to keep up with software demands
0
Rudy
10/11/2011 9:20:09 AM
VS, here we come.

Edited by: Slobodan Dmitrovic on Oct 11, 2011 2:58 AM
0
Slobodan
10/11/2011 9:59:25 AM
> {quote:title=David Schwartz wrote:}{quote}

> But since our OP is avoiding identifying himself, his whereabouts, and anything else that most people would be comfortable building trust with him, I felt it necessary to pick a random geographic association in my statement.  (Some have alluded to him being from Italy, or maybe England.  Or British living in Italy.  Or maybe India .... I dunno ... it's confusing.)

If you're American then for you it would be Eastern Europe, wouldn't it?
0
Captain
10/11/2011 10:02:32 AM
> {quote:title=Captain America wrote:}{quote}
> On the contrary, "Enquiring Mind" is quite popular over there.

I can't say how popular "Enquiring Mind" is as a pseudonym, but it is an
English epithet used in everyday parlance. Perhaps it's less well known
in places like Poland, and in countries that use a different spelling for the
first word.

Mauro Botta claims he is working with a man from the UK living in Italy, but gives him
a surname that doesn't exist in the UK. (Try inputting Emilthon into a
uk-based genealogical web site and see how many hits you get!).

The English text in his web site is clearly a translation from
Italian (I am bilingual in the 2 languages so can recognise the patterns). It contains several
grammatical errors indicating that it didn't benefit from being checked over
by someone whose mother tongue is English.

That said, Mauro's ropy mastery of English and his unwillingness to pay someone to
produce a decent English language version of his website is much less important than
the usefulness and quality of his software. I find it commendable that he appears to have produced
the tool that he is offeringing for sale in such a short time. He would be well advised to take heed
of the concerns expressed in this thread about the apparent lack of business credibility of his
website and improve it to allay the concerns. He should try to get someone like Marco
Cantu' to evaluate and review the product.

EM
0
Enquiring
10/11/2011 3:31:49 PM
"Slobodan Dmitrovic" wrote in message news:409949@forums.embarcadero.com...
>> I don't mind sending $5 or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern Europe
>> or outer Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100 or more!
> I find this to be very racist and offending. Do you imply all people in
> Eastern Europe are shadowy?

Notice that he said "some shadowy person", so he is already clearly
distinguishing those kind of people from everyone else in those, or any
other countries, he could have randomly named.

From your point of view, you could have said the same thing, naming Canada
and, say, Japan. Should I be offended? I don't consider myself to be
shadowy, but there certainly are *some* number of such people here just as
there are in *any* country. So no, I would NOT be offended.

Claiming racism and being so easily offended just shows you are excessively
sensitive and "thin-skinned" and too quick to find fault with anything
others say.

Lighten up!

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
“The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone seeks to live at
> {quote:title=Wayne Niddery wrote:}{quote}
> "Slobodan Dmitrovic" wrote in message news:409949@forums.embarcadero.com...
> >> I don't mind sending $5 or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern Europe
> >> or outer Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100 or more!
> > I find this to be very racist and offending. Do you imply all people in
> > Eastern Europe are shadowy?
>

> Notice that he said "some shadowy person", so he is already clearly
> distinguishing those kind of people from everyone else in those, or any
> other countries, he could have randomly named.
>
> From your point of view, you could have said the same thing, naming Canada
> and, say, Japan. Should I be offended? I don't consider myself to be
> shadowy, but there certainly are *some* number of such people here just as
> there are in *any* country. So no, I would NOT be offended.
Priceless...
0
Slobodan
10/11/2011 9:07:43 PM
Slobodan Dmitrovic wrote:

> > {quote:title=Wayne Niddery wrote:}{quote}
> > "Slobodan Dmitrovic" wrote in message
> > news:409949@forums.embarcadero.com...  >> I don't mind sending $5
> > or $10 to some shadowy person in Eastern Europe >> or outer
> > Mongolia, but I'm sure as heck not going to send $100 or more!
> > > I find this to be very racist and offending. Do you imply all
> > > people in Eastern Europe are shadowy?
> >

> > Notice that he said "some shadowy person", so he is already clearly
> > distinguishing those kind of people from everyone else in those, or
> > any other countries, he could have randomly named.
> >
> > From your point of view, you could have said the same thing, naming
> > Canada and, say, Japan. Should I be offended? I don't consider
> > myself to be shadowy, but there certainly are some number of such
> > people here just as there are in any country. So no, I would NOT be
> > offended.
>
> Priceless...

I'm not sure what you mean here, if you're a native English speaker I
would probably say that you're just clueless ... but since you aren't
.... what is it what you were trying to say here?

--
Pieter

"Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question"
 -- Terry Pratchett
0
Pieter
10/13/2011 11:39:56 PM
Nvm.
0
Slobodan
10/15/2011 11:53:01 PM
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:

> There has never been a rule that you must use your real
> name in the forums.

Correct though we have stated we _prefer_ it.  It is a polite way to
endear yourself a community and gain better acceptance and credibility.
Using an alias should be the exception and there are a few legitimate
reasons why people need them.
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
0
John Frazier wrote:

> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
>
> > There has never been a rule that you must use your real
> > name in the forums.
>
> Correct though we have stated we prefer it.  It is a polite way to
> endear yourself a community and gain better acceptance and
> credibility.  Using an alias should be the exception and there are a
> few legitimate reasons why people need them.

But there are a few. And who are we to decide what is legitimate and
what is not? And even if we wanted to, how should we?

--
Rudy Velthuis

Harrison's Postulate: For every action, there is an equal and
opposite criticism.
0
Rudy

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Mida 2.0 - Source code converter for FireMonkey - New Site
Great news, finally the new Mida 2.0 is available. *Mida 1.x has been incredible for the excellent conversion of visual components from VCL to FireMonkey*, the work was important, but thanks to your many suggestions and comments we have reached an excellent result. *In Mida 2.0 the target is to update the Delphi source code is not compatible with FireMonkey.* We have already converted thousands of lines of source and we noticed that the incompatibilities with the new framework are many. For example none of these lines of code runs on FireMonkey : +01.Label1.Caption :...

Mida 2.0 - Source code converter for FireMonkey - New Site
Great news, finally the new Mida 2.0 is available. *Mida 1.x has been incredible for the excellent conversion of visual components from VCL to FireMonkey*, the work was important, but thanks to your many suggestions and comments we have reached an excellent result. *In Mida 2.0 the target is to update the Delphi source code is not compatible with FireMonkey.* We have already converted thousands of lines of source and we noticed that the incompatibilities with the new framework are many. For example none of these lines of code runs on FireMonkey : +01.Label1.Caption :...

ANN: Mida 2.0 - Source code converter for FireMonkey - New Site
[...]

Access to legacy (Delphi 4) Midas server from Delphi XE2 [Edit]
Hello, My company biggest product is developped with Delphi 4 and uses several Midas servers. It's a really big application (still in evolution, since 1997) , that has been started with Delphi 3. A partial or complete rewrite of this application is planned in a mid term future, and I must study if we can envisage a soft migration of some parts of the software on Delphi XE2 (or XE4), or if a complete rewrite even of the servers parts is required. If a complete rewrite must be done, my boss doesn't exclude to study the possibility of using another development environment to rewri...

How do I convert this Delphi to C++Builder? [Edit]
I have spent two days trying to get the idea of converting the following Delphi to C++Builder, but to no avail. This code is part of an ActiveX client program. Data types of variables +V.Collection+ and +V.Collection.Item()+ do not appear in _TLB.h and _OCX.h created from imported type library. Hence I fail to borrow the idea Remy kindly offered in this thread: https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=72273&tstart=0 I would much appreciate if any kind soul will relieve my pain by converting this code to BCB for me so that I can crawl upward slowly. The document for t...

Amazone tool Delphi ex3 [Edit]
I have a 2 issues regarding DelphiEX3 /Amazone and the data cloud component.. 1) In python I can do this to get a url for viewing a file on amazone *** from boto.s3.connection import S3Connection s3 = S3Connection('amazone__key', 'amazone_signature', is_secure=False) url = s3.generate_url(60, 'GET', bucket='mybucket', key='folder/bilde.jpg', force_http=True) print url; ** result http://mybucket.s3.amazonaws.com/folder/bilde.jpg?Signature=w9n4eII%2FBru8qDdjhibn6UKLKUo%3D&Expires=1359215293&AWSAccessKeyId=amazone__key Is it possi...

Delphi 2010 report tools [Edit]
Hello, I’m looking for Delphi 2010 simple report tools with small bytes “other than quickreport and RTF report’ FREEWARE or very cheap (less than $50.00) tools Please advice Thanks in advance Edited by: Adam Allen on Jun 30, 2010 5:39 AM Dear Adam Allen! Did you read this http://delphihaters.blogspot.com/2010/06/smells-like-team-spirit-nevrona-rave.html ? I do not agree with something (about FastReport :) ) but - very interesting. About your question... Starting price of FastReport is more than $50 - $79 per Basic Edition. FreeReport - you can add support of D2010. It...

Is there a tool for converting dfm to pas?l [Edit]
Is there a tool which could convert a dfm file to pas? It would be useful for reducing exe size. For some future compiler versions, this could be a compiler switch - to create exe with dfm in resources, or to convert al dfm to pas and compile. It could be useful to port project to FPC, I guess. > {quote:title=Srdjan Obucina wrote:}{quote} > Is there a tool which could convert a dfm file to pas? It would be useful for reducing exe size. > > For some future compiler versions, this could be a compiler switch - to create exe with dfm in resources, or to convert al dfm to pas...

Convert PHP to Delphi
Hello, I am trying to convert the following PHP into pure Delphi code :- {code} $expires = time() + 30000; $stringToSign = $accessID."\n".$expires; $binarySignature = hash_hmac('sha1', $stringToSign, $secretKey, true); $urlSafeSignature = urlencode(base64_encode($binarySignature)); {code} However I am obviously doing something wrong because I can not get the same output as PHP. Here is my code (adapated from this SO post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12484064/indy-hmac-sha1-generating-unexpected-values) {code} class function TMozEncode.GenerateSignature(a...

I found a Delphi tool while rummaging around [Edit]
While upgrading the computer serving up my website the other day I rummaged through some of its folders and happened upon a forgotten project. I thought the project might be of interest to some of you so I'll share what it does. If there's any interest I'll pull it's code together and put it online so you can make use it it in Delphi or your own applications. http://www.codebot.org/delphi/?doc=9579 but no information about what the tool is in the original post? > {quote:title=Ed Dressel wrote:}{quote} > but no information about what the tool is in the original pos...

Tool (not Delphi) to convert PDF to WMF/EMF
Anyone know of a tool that can make a quality conversion of a PDF document to WMF/EMF images (one per page)? Thank you, Ed Dressel > Anyone know of a tool that can make a quality conversion of a PDF document > to WMF/EMF images (one per page)? I know you didn't ask for a Delphi-component, but the closest I came to a usable solution when I had the same need a coupe of years ago actually was components, sort of: WPTools PDFViewer: http://www.wpcubed.com/products/pdfviewer/index.htm Ottar Holstad wrote: > I know you didn't ask for a Delphi-component, but th...

Tools, Tools, Tools
</quot> Couple useful things for IT admins out there. I've packaged up Werner and Feder's PoC scanner via py2exe here. You can now simply run: </end_quot> http://www.doxpara.com/ -- "Never drive faster than your ANGEL can fly" ...

Web resources about - MIDA - Vcl To FireMonkey converter - Available [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.tools

firemonkeys - iMore