What are you using XE5 or later for?

I am using D2007 and would like to get myself dirty on XE.
Searched Youtube most of the video for XE5 are mobile apps related.
Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?
0
Alan

> {quote:title=Alan Tse wrote:}{quote}
> I am using D2007 and would like to get myself dirty on XE.
> Searched Youtube most of the video for XE5 are mobile apps related.
> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?

Well, We're using XE5, because we were on Delphi 7 and XE5 was the most current one at the time were were upgrading.   However, we also use FireDac (There was a Delphi 7 version) with SQLite.   In addition, I think they made the code faster with XE6.   We'll probably upgrade to XE9 or XE10 next year.

We also do want to investigate doing mobile dev.   XE didn't have mobile, and XE2 and XE3 wouldn't work for mobile.
0
Phillip
7/21/2015 5:55:33 AM
> {quote:title=Alan Tse wrote:}{quote}
> I am using D2007 and would like to get myself dirty on XE.
> Searched Youtube most of the video for XE5 are mobile apps related.
> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?

I am using XE5 but I can't say that I am thrilled by this version. However, I've tested very briefly XE8 and from some crazy reason I've decided to hit F1 on some code and...I couldn't believe! Help is working again!!
So, if you do have a choice pick XE8, but look out. Depending on the deal, you might risk buying a version which won't be supported by Embarcadero! (They won't fix bugs unless you are on a subscription).
0
Dimitrij
7/21/2015 6:56:46 AM
Alan Tse wrote:

> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?

When you purchase/upgrade the studio you get access to all previous
versions. So where is no difference what to buy: you always buys last
version.

--
Alex
0
Alan Tse wrote:

> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?

No difference: you always buy the latest version. When you
purchase/upgrade the studio you get access to all previous
versions too.

--
Alex
0
"Alex Belo" <b.a.v@inbox.ru> wrote in message
> Alan Tse wrote:
>
>> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?
>
> No difference: you always buy the latest version. When you
> purchase/upgrade the studio you get access to all previous
> versions too.

But beware - after initial purchase for a limited time only, the earlier
version "authorizations" can be requested - unless things have changed since
I last checked.
0
david
7/21/2015 12:45:06 PM
> {quote:title=Alan Tse wrote:}{quote}
> I am using D2007 and would like to get myself dirty on XE.
> Searched Youtube most of the video for XE5 are mobile apps related.
> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?

I'm using Delphi XE8 for VCL applications (32 and 64 bits). Still learning FMX stuff.

Clément
0
Clement
7/21/2015 7:57:05 PM
Alan Tse wrote:

> I am using D2007 and would like to get myself dirty on XE.
> Searched Youtube most of the video for XE5 are mobile apps related.
> Do you think I should start from XE1 or 2 these earlier versions?

If you are going to use a more recent version, I recommend the latest
version available. I also strongly suggest getting a subscription.

The obligatory Unicode posts:

http://wiert.me/2015/07/08/20-resources-on-migrating-to-unicode-with-delphi-software-on-a-string/

And links to some educational material that might be interesting:

http://delphi-insider.blogspot.ca/2015/07/join-us-for-rad-studio-xe8-lunch-learn.html

http://delphi-insider.blogspot.ca/2015/07/rad-studio-delphi-and-cbuilder-webinars.html

http://community.embarcadero.com/index.php/blogs/entry/delphi-vcl-and-firemonkey-ebooks-books-tutorials-and-courseware-a-collection-of-links

http://www.embarcadero.com/coderage

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

The hardest part of the upgrade was getting versions of the 3rd party components I was using in XE8 flavor, and then tweaking my code to match their updated code.  The other hard part was tweaking a bunch of API calls to use "AnsiString" instead of "String", and similar with pChar, Char, etc.   Our codebase is enormous, spanning about 30 utilities, and 3 major applications, so it was not a trivial job.  It took about 2 months or so total, with careful planning.  We abandoned one utility that was using glS
cene simply because that utility was not very important to us, and glScene had changed too much since we last used it to be compatible.  If your codebase is smaller and less reliant on 3rd party components, you may be in for a much easier job.

The reason for our switch was primarily just to have the latest and greatest tools, hopefully a more stable IDE (which it seems to be, though it's still not perfect), and the ability to modernize our user interface with hopefully updated components.  A bonus has been much better threading support, and 64 bit, which we have yet to take advantage of, but look forward to.

Disappointments include not being able to separate the form from code anymore in the visual designer (so having to F12 back and forth to switch from editing a form and editing the code, which is annoying on a big 4K monitor), and that some simple things I would think would have been taken care of by now, are still left as "to dos".  For example, I fully expected that by now I could use 32 bit alpha blended glyphs on TBitButtons, and that by now some of the forms for things like editing folder paths would
remember that I stretched them to fit my big monitor, and not make me re-stretch them each time I open them.

Overall, though, I like the upgrade, and I like being on a more modern development system, but mostly for minor things that are hard to quantify.  There are plenty of discoveries of little things that add up to a much improved experience.   I am definitely happy to finally be upgraded!

Also, if you are going to the work of upgrading to XE, I think you might as well go all the way to XE8 and not bother with XE1 or 2 unless there is some technical reason you can't go higher.
0
Carl
7/29/2015 11:15:30 PM
Am 30.07.2015 um 01:15 schrieb Carl Olsen:

> For example, I fully expected that by now I could use 32 bit alpha blended glyphs on TBitButtons,

You can have that, but not on a TBitButton. TButton nowadays supports
images and TImageList supports PNG images. I'm not sure about alpha
blending though. It requires XP though. ;-)

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
7/30/2015 6:13:38 PM
Depends somewhat on what you are using. Probably best to go to XE8 so as to be current for several things going forward. Major advantages for me have been:
1) Unicode support
2) threading support which started in XE7
3) faster clientdatasets in XE8
4) FireDAC

Lots of other smaller changes which work.

Unless you are trying to use an existing XE1 or XE2 license and save money  it does not seem to make sense to stay with the older versions.

Bruce
0
Bruce
8/5/2015 9:39:02 PM
<Bruce Eglington> wrote
> 3) faster clientdatasets in XE8

Just to be clear--you meand speed improvements in TClientDataset itself, or
the new TFDMemTable?

bobD
0
Robert
8/5/2015 11:03:25 PM
Am 06.08.2015 um 01:03 schrieb Robert Dawson:
> <Bruce Eglington> wrote
>> 3) faster clientdatasets in XE8
>
> Just to be clear--you meand speed improvements in TClientDataset itself, or
> the new TFDMemTable?
>
> bobD

I think TField got some speed enhancements, but I'm not sure.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
8/7/2015 5:06:24 PM
> {quote:title=Robert Dawson wrote:}{quote}
> <Bruce Eglington> wrote
> > 3) faster clientdatasets in XE8
>
> Just to be clear--you meand speed improvements in TClientDataset itself, or
> the new TFDMemTable?
>
> bobD

TClientDataset itself.  Reports suggest it could be as much as 25% faster although I have not been able to check this directly myself because one of the third-party components I use  extensively is not yet ready for XE8.

Bruce
0
Bruce

Marco posted this:

"Faster TFields

One specific optimization that it is worth noticing, compared to XE7, is in the way TField objects of a TDatSet (or any descendant dataset) copy their data to and from the active record buffer. The net effect is a 10% to 25 increase in most existing database applications for the "data copy" operations. As a sample, I've created an application that basically duplicates records from one ClientDataSet to another one, in memory, and have obtained a significant faster execution in XE8. See below the image with
 the XE7 and XE8 timing (in milliseconds) and the source code of the demo"

Here
http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2015-april-new-xe8-vcl-developers.html

Any dataset descendant will be improved.

Since XE6, the IDE is getting better and better.

Clément
0
Clement
8/7/2015 6:16:40 PM
On 8/7/15 2:16 PM, Clement Doss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Marco posted this:
>
> "Faster TFields
>
> One specific optimization that it is worth noticing, compared to XE7, is in the way TField objects of a TDatSet (or any descendant dataset) copy their data to and from the active record buffer. The net effect is a 10% to 25 increase in most existing database applications for the "data copy" operations. As a sample, I've created an application that basically duplicates records from one ClientDataSet to another one, in memory, and have obtained a significant faster execution in XE8. See below the image wi
th
>   the XE7 and XE8 timing (in milliseconds) and the source code of the demo"
>
> Here
> http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2015-april-new-xe8-vcl-developers.html
>
> Any dataset descendant will be improved.
>
> Since XE6, the IDE is getting better and better.
>
> Clément

I noticed a sizable speed increase in my app after I recompiled in XE8.
  I'd love to see me optimization like this as it makes a tangible
difference for my users.
0
Mike