Delphi Versions

Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports developer,
Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help writer, etc...

I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not complex,
single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own without a
company to hold my hand.

I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
this version of Delphi for the time being?

Money is an issue in that I just
don't have enough to upgrade all this software to a current version if the
type of program I am writing does not need it.

Wendy

Wendy Price wrote:

> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports
> developer, Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help
> writer, etc...
>
> I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not
> complex, single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own
> without a company to hold my hand.
>
> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing
> with this version of Delphi for the time being?
>
> Money is an issue in that I just
> don't have enough to upgrade all this software to a current version
> if the type of program I am writing does not need it.

If you are confortable with Delphi 5, I dont think you have to update.
But I personally think a new version, Delphi 2009 wil give you more
power to write better applications.
Also, I dont like Infopower and Orpheus, actually it was good when you
bought Delphi 5, now you have better component set.

--
Cesar Romero
http://www.cesarromero.com.br

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:21:25 -0000, Wendy Price  wrote:

> I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not
> complex, single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own
> without a company to hold my hand.

Good luck - although I hope you won't need it.

> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?
>
> Money is an issue in that I just don't have enough to upgrade all this
> software to a current version if the type of program I am writing does
> not need it.

When I last looked the Turbo version http://www.turboexplorer.com/delphi
was still at a very attractive price ("free") and had no limitations on
being used for commercial applications.

As long as you don't have a requirement for any additional, third-party
components it should give you something more up-to-date.

--
Paul Scott
Information Management Systems
Wendy Price a écrit :

> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports developer,
> Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help writer, etc...
>
> I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not complex,
> single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own without a
> company to hold my hand.
>
> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?
>
> Money is an issue in that I just
> don't have enough to upgrade all this software to a current version if the
> type of program I am writing does not need it.

There are still companies out there using D5. If you are happy with the
IDE and your product does everything that you and your customers want,
then there is absolutely no need to change the version of Delphi that
you are using.

Save your money until you have an established customer base and enough
finances to consider upgrading. The market is in a constant state of
flux; at the moment, there is a lot of talk about also developing for
Linux and OS X, Delphi for Win32 can't yet do that, so you might change
your mind over the next few years, as newer products like Delphi Prism
appear on the market.

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter [TeamB|http://www.teamb.com]
Consultant Software Engineer
Wendy Price wrote:
> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports developer,
> Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help writer, etc...
>
> I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not complex,
> single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own without a
> company to hold my hand.
>
> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?
>
> Money is an issue in that I just
> don't have enough to upgrade all this software to a current version if the
> type of program I am writing does not need it.
>
> Thanks

Best wishes.

It should work. D7 would be better -- but ya gotta work with what you have.

If you do components make sure you separate design time stuff. Think
that was first in D5 -- but don't recall.

--
WillR
PMC Consulting
Wendy Price wrote:

> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports
> developer, Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help
> writer, etc...

[...]

> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing
> with this version of Delphi for the time being?

No major concerns, no. We still use D5 here for a mid-size commercial
application that has a base price of ten grand (USD).

There are some issues that might bear consideration though.

- D5 applications can look a bit 'dated' cosmetically. Not a big deal
necessarily, and for the most part you can get around it with careful
UI design.

- D5 support by third party libraries may become limited. If you're not
using actively developed 3rd party stuff, no worries.

- Orpheus was good for its time, but it really looks dated now. Bear in
mind that if you do ever upgrade, the Orpheus stuff (depending on what
parts you're using) will stick out like a sore thumb.
0
Tom
12/10/2008 6:39:33 PM
Wendy Price wrote:

> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?

You may want to browse this, before you start

http://www.installationexcellence.com/articles/VistaWithDelphi/Index.html
0
Gokhan
12/10/2008 8:08:40 PM
Wendy Price wrote:
> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports developer,
> Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help writer, etc...
>
> I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not complex,
> single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own without a
> company to hold my hand.
>
> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?
>
> Money is an issue in that I just
> don't have enough to upgrade all this software to a current version if the
> type of program I am writing does not need it.
>
> Thanks
You'll do just fine with D5. Your apps may look outdated, but only a
bit. I have several apps (even commercial and industrial ones) in D5.
Apps run fast (make that VERY FAST) and the IDE is very stable, I can't
remember the last crash I had in this year -compare that with the scary
stories we all hear about the lasts versions. If you look hard, you can
even find some free and commercial components for D5, just bear in mind
that sooner or later you'll upgrade (just like I did). My apps run just
fine in Vista and look fine. Read the response from G. Ers#mer and if
you don't want to mess with manifestos, just install in the C:\

Good luck!

Francisco Alvarado
0
francisco
12/11/2008 12:20:54 AM
<Wendy Price> wrote in message news:53581@forums.codegear.com...

We used D5 for a commercial app until last year, then we 'upgraded' to D7.
Before going with D7, we'd purchased D2005 and D2006 but weren't at all
impressed and find that we can do everything we need ith D7 (and
consequently, D5). There's a site that even includes some fixes that'll
allow you to make your apps look current on Vista, so they needn't look
dated.

So go ahead and stick with your trusty Delphi 5, it'll work just fine.
0
Dave
12/11/2008 1:47:30 AM
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:21:25 -0800, Wendy Price wrote:

> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports developer,
> Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help writer, etc...

I think it depends on wether newer versions provide any features or
technologies that are important to you. Two major changes that I can
think of are Unicode support and better Vista support; you can find
code to do these in Delphi 5, it would just be more work.

A big thing to consider is the cost and availability of any
third-party components that you are using.

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com
<Wendy Price> wrote in message news:53581@forums.codegear.com...
> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional out of my own pocket, along with Crystal reports developer,
> Infopower and Orpheus components, help & manual help writer, etc...
>
> I am currently writing a program that I would like to market - not
> complex,
> single user, non server based.  I'm taking a shot on my own without a
> company to hold my hand.
>
> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?

Go for it, Wendy.

When the bucks start rolling in, you can wake up from  your nap on a beach
in Bermuda and contemplate the prospect of upgrading to a 64-bit capable,
Unicode Delphi.

-d
0
Dennis
12/11/2008 7:28:25 AM
Wendy Price wrote:

> I just want to know if there are any major concerns with continuing with
> this version of Delphi for the time being?

D5 works perfectly well, and with a little extra work the programs can be
made too look (and work) acceptable on Vista too.
I've used the info from http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/delphivista.html to
adjust old programs for Vista use. It probably says the same things as the
other link you've already been given
(http://www.installationexcellence.com/articles/VistaWithDelphi/Index.html)

IMO, it's still a pleasure to start D5, I just click the shortcut and Delphi
is running. I also have D2006, and that's a sloooow thing. Can't really
convince even myself that D2009 is a necessary buy, much less the boss...

Of course, there are lots of new things in later versions that are very nice
to have, but in most cases they are not essential.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
<Wendy Price> wrote in message news:54019@forums.codegear.com...
>I wish there was a reply all button so I can reply to all my responders,
>instead I'll reply to myself for all my responders to see.
> I should have asked this question before I started.  My program is approx
> 80% complete, help files started, database structure pretty sound and
> solid.  I'm within reach of being able to begin searching for beta
> testers.
> Thank you for your replies, suggestions and web links for additional
> information.
> Everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Same to you but I've a question: what kind of software is this?

--
Saluti,
  Alessandro Federici

-------------------------------
"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually
happened." (Mark Twain)
0
Alessandro
12/11/2008 2:43:36 PM
Hello,

you sh9ould download the trial of D2009 and run it on the same PC as the
D2006 you have. Then compare startup speeds!

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
12/11/2008 3:43:31 PM
Wendy Price wrote:

> Don't laugh, but I am not a company and years ago I purchased Delphi 5
> professional

Most of the programs listed on my home page at http://www.briggsoft.com
were written in Delphi 5.  Only the first two listed were written in a
newer version (Delphi 2007).

--
Kent Briggs, kbriggs@spamcop.net
Briggs Softworks, http://www.briggsoft.com
Markus Humm wrote:

> you sh9ould download the trial of D2009 and run it on the same PC as the
> D2006 you have. Then compare startup speeds!

I'll wait for D2010, and then try again to convince the people holding the
money...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm
0
Anders
12/11/2008 4:12:05 PM
> {quote:title=Alessandro Federici wrote:}{quote}
>
> Same to you but I've a question: what kind of software is this?
>
> --
> Saluti,
>   Alessandro Federici
>
> -------------------------------
> "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually
> happened." (Mark Twain)

Without going into specifics:

The personal edition is something geared towards helping the main shopper keep within a budget, get the best deals, acquire more at the least possible cost.  Also a few other tidbits regarding time, planning and storage.
The professional edition is for a private business owner to use all of the personal edition but also include billing with other features that are not necessary for the personal edition.
Would like this to work with a personal hand held scanner as well and I am currently researching that area now.  I've seen scanners that are attached to PDA's, but I need to dig further.
I am able to use the software myself as well and that is what is helping me write it.  I get my ideas from what I am doing and how I do things and manage the aspects of my life, finances and time as well as space within my home (wow - thats vague).

Edited by: Wendy Price on Dec 11, 2008 1:53 PM
0
Wendy
12/11/2008 9:56:26 PM
<Wendy Price> wrote in message news:54230@forums.codegear.com...
[..]
> I am able to use the software myself as well and that is what is helping
> me write it.  I get my ideas from what I am doing and how I do things
> and manage the aspects of my life, finances and time as well as space
> within my home (wow - thats vague).

Very good. I wish you best of luck with your product.
Give us a Url when it's selling :)

--
Saluti,
  Alessandro Federici

-------------------------------
"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually
happened." (Mark Twain)
0
Alessandro

Will Delphi XE2 co-exist with other Delphi versions ?
Can I install it on a machine that's got other Delphi's on it ? Lut Mentz wrote: > Can I install it on a machine that's got other Delphi's on it ? Yes. As far as I know that has always been the case. -- -Mike (TeamB) Lut Mentz wrote: > Can I install it on a machine that's got other Delphi's on it ? Yes -- it has always been the case that the new version co-exists peacefully with all the older ones. -- Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager Gateway Ticketing Systems http://www.gatewayticketing.com > {quote:title=Mike Williams ...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

HELP! Trying to Complie old Delphi program on any version of Delphi
Hey everyone I'm new to the programming world and unfortunately I have come across a big problem that I will hope I can get some help with. I have a program that was apparently created using delphi 3 and then finished using delphi 4 with some additional parts added later. I have found copies of amost every version of delphi ever made and installed them on my pc and attempted to compile this program in question. Unfortuantely I have yet to get it to compile without a few thousand error messages and I am st uck between a rock and a hard place. I know very little of Delphi programming, let a...

Best practice when code should still compile with elder versions of Delphi but also Delphi 2009
When tryung to compile Turbopower Orpheus and other Turbopower products which I still use in my applications and therefor need to convert to Delphi 2009, I get lots of warnings even though others has made it possible to get Orpheus compiled. The problem is checking a char in a set which gives a type cast warning and suggests using a new function instead. [DCC Warning] ovcdbnum.pas(401): W1050 WideChar reduced to byte char in set expressions. Consider using 'CharInSet' function in 'SysUtils' unit. So what would be the best practice here eg. correcting this ro...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Web resources about - Delphi Versions - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Global Android version distribution since December 2009. As of September 2013, Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean is the most widely-used Android version, ...

Clive Palmer isn't singing the blues, it's a pretty ragged version of Jingle Bells
Clive Palmer might have needed a little Christmas cheer after a week that has left his corporate reputation in tatters. We have just the tonic: ...

Review: Can the BrydgeMini keyboard for the iPad mini live up to the full size version?
... end, becoming my daily driver for my iPad Air 2. Brydge has two models for the smaller iPad, one for the iPad mini 1/2/3 and a second version ...

Apple seeds the first beta version of iOS 9.2.1 to registered developers
A little more than a week after introducing iOS 9.2 to the general public , Apple has just seeded the first beta version of iOS 9.2.1. to registered ...

2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC features AMG version with turbo V6
Filed under: Mercedes-Benz , Convertible , Luxury As part of the revamp of the entire Mercedes-Benz lineup, a heavily revised 2017 Mercedes-Benz ...

Most Android devices run an outdated OS version
More than 80 percent of Android devices are running an outdated version of the operating system. Those are the results of an inquiry among users ...

‘Doom’ creators made a PC version of Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1990, here’s what it looked like
Though the original Super Mario Bros. is arguably the most iconic video game ever released, Super Mario Bros. 3 remains a classic in its own ...

Titus Andronicus announce tour with Craig Finn, release "Grandma-friendly" version of "Fired Up" for ...
photo: Patrick Stickles at Webster Hall earlier this month (more by Amanda Hatfield) Titus Andronicus have announced a 2016 tour in continued ...

Microsoft is making a custom version of Windows 10 for the Chinese government
Microsoft is working with the Chinese government to make a custom version of Windows 10, according to a blog post . The software will be used ...

Pepsi Is Planning To Launch An Organic Version Of Gatorade Next Year
... But Pepsi wants to change how customers view Gatorade with a flying leap onto the healthy trend bandwagon, by introducing an organic version ...