Delphi support for mobile apps

Hi,

As someone who uses Delphi for Windows desktop programs only, I would like to catch up on the current state of Delphi tools for mobile development.

When Firemonkey was first launched I read long debates in Non-Technical forum about the fact that Firemonkey uses platform-independent GUI controls rather than native controls. But I have recently read in various websites that apparently Delphi/Firemonkey now also supports native controls for Android and iOS. Does this mean that one can now use either the platform-independent and/or platform-specific components?

 How are the native controls implemented? Are they simply Pascal classes wrapping native control classes in the platform SDK/API?

I have seen in the Delphi wiki documentation that there is also a Datasnap framework for the development of native Windows Phone apps. How does this work, and what are its limitations?

I have also noticed that native support for Windows Phone is included in the Delphi roadmap. How soon can we expect this to be made available? Why is it taking Embarcadero so long to implement, when one would have expected that Embarcadero should find a Windows-based framework easier to implement?

Is there any prospect that RAD Studio will be split into separate products for each platform, so that developers need only purchase the products for the platforms that they are interested in? Is Appmethod a step in this direction?

TIA.

EM
0
Enquiring

Enquiring wrote:

> When Firemonkey was first launched I read long debates in
> Non-Technical forum about the fact that Firemonkey uses
> platform-independent GUI controls rather than native controls.

That is true, and is still the case.

> But I have recently read in various websites that apparently
> Delphi/Firemonkey now also supports native controls for Android
> and iOS.

That is not true.  However, there are several third-party solutions that
implement FireMonkey component wrappers for native platform controls:

TMS iCL
http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsicl.asp

TMS mCL
http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsmcl.asp

DPF Delphi iOS Native Components
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpfdelphiios/

DPF Delphi Android Native Components
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpfdelphiandroid/

> How are the native controls implemented? Are they simply Pascal
> classes wrapping native control classes in the platform SDK/API?

AFAIK, yes.

> I have also noticed that native support for Windows Phone is included
> in the Delphi roadmap. How soon can we expect this to be made
> available? Why is it taking Embarcadero so long to implement, when one
> would have expected that Embarcadero should find a Windows-based
> framework easier to implement?

At the time FireMonkey was first introduced, Windows Phone was based on a
new proprietary Windows mobile OS and a new SDK framework that Microsoft
restricts access to.  Only Microsoft compilers are allowed to create Windows
Phone apps.  Embarcadero has been working with Microsoft to allow access,
but it has not happened yet.  However, the just-released Windows Phone 8
OS is based on the same NT kernel that runs Windows 8 for desktops, and will
be rolled out to Windows Phone devices over the coming months, so maybe that
may finally open up the door for Embarcadero going forward.  Who knows for
sure yet.

> Is there any prospect that RAD Studio will be split into separat products
> for each platform, so that developers need only purchase the products
> for the platforms that they are interested in? Is Appmethod a step in
> this direction?

AppMethod is a stripped down version of RAD Studio that focuses exclusively
on FireMonkey development only, VCL has been completely removed.  Whether
or not Embarcadero takes it further in future releases by splitting out platform-specific
editions is anyone's guess.  I suspect they will not go that far anytime
soon, if ever, but who knows.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> At the time FireMonkey was first introduced, Windows Phone was based on a
> new proprietary Windows mobile OS and a new SDK framework that Microsoft
> restricts access to.  Only Microsoft compilers are allowed to create Windows

That's WinRT - Windows Phone is not WinRT.

> but it has not happened yet.  However, the just-released Windows Phone 8
> OS is based on the same NT kernel that runs Windows 8 for desktops, and will

Just released in 2012, you mean, right?

> be rolled out to Windows Phone devices over the coming months, so maybe that

My Nokia 620 is running Windows 8 for several months already, it's 8.1 that's been just announced and will be rolled out in the coming months.

Anyway, IMHO, the Windows Phone UI is different enough from iOS/Android Embarcadero will have an hard time trying to support it with "skins" also. There are deep differences in how Windows Phone works leading to a very different application design. I guess there are many at Embarcadero praying WP never gets enough market share.

Edited by: Luigi Sandon on Apr 28, 2014 10:24 AM
0
Luigi
4/28/2014 8:27:31 AM
Enquiring Mind wrote:

>  How are the native controls implemented? Are they simply Pascal
> classes wrapping native control classes in the platform SDK/API?

Guess... This is done in a way similar to how the VCL implements
OS-provided controls, of course.

And FMX only supports some native controls. Most of them are still
emulated. There are 3rd party libraries that do wrap native controls
for OS X, iOS and/or Android, though.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)    http://www.teamb.com

"I wouldn't mind dying - it's the business of having to stay
 dead that scares the shit out of me." -- R. Geis.
0
Rudy
4/28/2014 10:52:32 AM
> Anyway, IMHO, the Windows Phone UI is different enough from iOS/Android Embarcadero will have an hard time trying to support it with "skins" also. There are deep differences in how Windows Phone works leading to a very different application design. I guess there are many at Embarcadero praying WP never gets enough market share.

Why do you think it will be hard to support the "skin" from Windows Phone UI???

They have done it for XE3 for Desktop, all the Metro style thing... Why they can´t do it for mobile?
0
Eric
4/28/2014 12:55:43 PM
On 2014-04-28 5:27 AM, Luigi Sandon wrote:
>> At the time FireMonkey was first introduced, Windows Phone was based on a
>> new proprietary Windows mobile OS and a new SDK framework that Microsoft
>> restricts access to.  Only Microsoft compilers are allowed to create Windows
>
> That's WinRT - Windows Phone is not WinRT.

Windows Phone 8.1 will be supporting Silverlight 8 apps and
WinRT(DirectX, XAML and HTML5) apps.

>> but it has not happened yet.  However, the just-released Windows Phone 8
>> OS is based on the same NT kernel that runs Windows 8 for desktops, and will
>
> Just released in 2012, you mean, right?
>
>> be rolled out to Windows Phone devices over the coming months, so maybe that
>
> My Nokia 620 is running Windows 8 for several months already, it's 8.1 that's been just announced and will be rolled out in the coming months.
>
> Anyway, IMHO, the Windows Phone UI is different enough from iOS/Android Embarcadero will have an hard time trying to support it with "skins" also. There are deep differences in how Windows Phone works leading to a very different application design. I guess there are many at Embarcadero praying WP never gets enough market share.

Here it doesn't really matter, since either the app follows the user's
color theme or the app has it's own look and feel and color theme.

Daniel Rail
0
Daniel
4/28/2014 5:03:49 PM
> Why do you think it will be hard to support the "skin" from Windows Phone UI???

They could skin them, but they won't be WP apps. It's pretty clear you don't use a WP phone. I use both an Android 4 phone and a WP 8 one, and the WP app workflow is very different. MS instead of adopting the old PalmOS workflow (which is what iOS and Android, despite multitouch + bell & whistles, still use), redesigned the UI from scratch.

> They have done it for XE3 for Desktop, all the Metro style thing... Why they can´t do it for mobile?

Exactly. They just skinned plain Windows applications. They do not work at all like Modern UI applications. Again, I guess you didn't spend much time with Windows 8 on a touch device.
0
Luigi
4/28/2014 6:47:19 PM
> Here it doesn't really matter, since either the app follows the user's
> color theme or the app has it's own look and feel and color theme.

It's not the color theme, it's the application UI design. WP is different from both iOS and Android in the way applications UI are designed and work.

Sure, you could ignore WP rules and make a "foreign" application working on it just with some "skin", but it will be felt by users exactly like a foreign application, there are some on WP, and usually not very successful. When you got used to a way of working you do expect your apps work that way.
0
Luigi
4/28/2014 6:49:38 PM
> They could skin them, but they won't be WP apps. It's pretty clear you don't use a WP phone. I use both an Android 4 phone and a WP 8 one, and the WP app workflow is very different. MS instead of adopting the old PalmOS workflow (which is what iOS and Android, despite multitouch + bell & whistles, still use), redesigned the UI from scratch.

I don't think FM apps work exactly like iOS apps either.  That doesn't
mean it doesn't have it's uses.  Especially in LOB apps where being able
to get things done very quickly trump true platform fidelity.
0
Mike
4/28/2014 8:04:16 PM
> to get things done very quickly trump true platform fidelity.

Sure. It still restricts the tool "development surface", though.
0
Luigi
4/28/2014 8:20:55 PM
On 28/04/2014 19:49, Luigi Sandon wrote:
> there are some on WP, and usually not very successful

I've recently been investigating mobile UI development and I'd be
curious to get some specifics here.

Also, given that Javascript is one of the recommended approaches to
developing Windows Phone Store apps (see here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/windows/apps/br211385.aspx) I
struggle to see why FMX should be disadvantaged with respect to building
WinPhone UIs.

Cheers, Bob
0
Bob
4/28/2014 9:04:19 PM
> struggle to see why FMX should be disadvantaged with respect to building
> WinPhone UIs.

That's the simplest way to build app - and doesn't mean it can't use native UI elements. The preferred way is using C++ o .NET, anyway.

Ayway you can start here about designing a WP UI:

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop
0
Luigi
4/29/2014 11:24:32 AM
On 29/04/2014 12:24, Luigi Sandon wrote:
> The preferred way is using C++

I don't see MS saying "you can use JS but we'd prefer you to use
C++/.NET" - JS certainly looks like a "first-class citizen" to me. In
any case, the point is that FMX will be just as capable for WinPhone
once the compiler issue is sorted out.

Cheers, Bob
0
Bob
4/29/2014 11:40:29 AM
On 4/28/2014 4:20 PM, Luigi Sandon wrote:
>> to get things done very quickly trump true platform fidelity.
>
> Sure. It still restricts the tool "development surface", though.

As long as they provide hooks to access native APIs , I don't have a
problem with that.
0
Mike
> Enquiring wrote:
>
> > When Firemonkey was first launched I read long debates in
> > Non-Technical forum about the fact that Firemonkey uses
> > platform-independent GUI controls rather than native controls.
>
> That is true, and is still the case.

Thanks for the clarification. What threw me was the press release quoted in such articles as:

http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1332/2014/4/16/Embarcadero-RAD-Studio-XE6-Provides-C++-Visual-Development-Environment-for-Android/

This included the statement that:

"A simple recompile delivers the same app with either a native or custom user interface (UI) to iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X with no code changes. RAD Studio XE6 supports multiple versions of Android, including 4.4 KitKat."

> > But I have recently read in various websites that apparently
> > Delphi/Firemonkey now also supports native controls for Android
> > and iOS.
>
> That is not true.  However, there are several third-party solutions that
> implement FireMonkey component wrappers for native platform controls:
>
> TMS iCL
> http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsicl.asp
>
> TMS mCL
> http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/tmsmcl.asp
>
> DPF Delphi iOS Native Components
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpfdelphiios/
>
> DPF Delphi Android Native Components
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpfdelphiandroid/

Thanks for these references.

> > How are the native controls implemented? Are they simply Pascal
> > classes wrapping native control classes in the platform SDK/API?
>
> AFAIK, yes.

But if, as you say, Firemonkey does not provide native controls, then there shouldn't be any native controls to wrap. The FM controls would do their own rendering of platform-independent controls. I am not sure what the term "pixel-perfect" used in the publicity documentation in relation to FM controls refers to. I would have thought that say a button control should be pixel perfect anyway.

> > I have also noticed that native support for Windows Phone is included
> > in the Delphi roadmap. How soon can we expect this to be made
> > available? Why is it taking Embarcadero so long to implement, when one
> > would have expected that Embarcadero should find a Windows-based
> > framework easier to implement?
>
> At the time FireMonkey was first introduced, Windows Phone was based on a
> new proprietary Windows mobile OS and a new SDK framework that Microsoft
> restricts access to.  Only Microsoft compilers are allowed to create Windows
> Phone apps.  Embarcadero has been working with Microsoft to allow access,
> but it has not happened yet.  However, the just-released Windows Phone 8
> OS is based on the same NT kernel that runs Windows 8 for desktops, and will
> be rolled out to Windows Phone devices over the coming months, so maybe that
> may finally open up the door for Embarcadero going forward.  Who knows for
> sure yet.

After a quick re-read of Allen Bauer's 2012 post about "Microsoft's dirty little secret", it appears that 3rd party native code applications that use certain Windows APIs cannot qualify as Windows Store apps because they don't meet the Windows Store app security requirements. Will the changes to which you refer alter this situation?

> > Is there any prospect that RAD Studio will be split into separat products
> > for each platform, so that developers need only purchase the products
> > for the platforms that they are interested in? Is Appmethod a step in
> > this direction?
>
> AppMethod is a stripped down version of RAD Studio that focuses exclusively
> on FireMonkey development only, VCL has been completely removed.  Whether
> or not Embarcadero takes it further in future releases by splitting out platform-specific
> editions is anyone's guess.  I suspect they will not go that far anytime
> soon, if ever, but who knows.

From a quality point of view, it's probably preferable that RAD Studio remains a single tool for multiple target platforms, as it should compel Embarcadero to test new features across all target platforms supported by the product, thus verifying their generality. By contrast, the adoption of multiple standalone IDE's specific to each platform could result in the implementation of new features getting out of step between IDE's and platforms, with some languishing in the rear.

EM
0
Enquiring
4/29/2014 4:45:28 PM
> I don't see MS saying "you can use JS but we'd prefer you to use

As you don't see Embarcadero saying "We know Delphi is buggy, please buy it anyway". MS needs to sell WP and gather new apps. Some simpler ones may be written in JavaScript - you can also make something alike on iOS and Android, I guess, but most good, complex apps are written using the native tools and compilers

> any case, the point is that FMX will be just as capable for WinPhone
> once the compiler issue is sorted out.

No as long as it mimics controls and try to implement a "design once, run everywhere" metaphor. If it tries to imitate the WP GUI with ad-hoc FMX controls, sure, it can imitate it as well, but the "xplat" approach is gone. At that point why using FMX when using native UI controls you get smaller, faster and better designed apps?

As said elsewhere for some application the xplat capability can be more important than a good native UI, for other, it is not.
0
Luigi
4/29/2014 6:25:30 PM
Enquiring wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. What threw me was the press release
> quoted in such articles as:
>
> http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1332/2014/4/16/Embarcadero-RAD-Studio-
> XE6-Provides-C++-Visual-Development-Environment-for-Android/
>
> This included the statement that:
>
> "A simple recompile delivers the same app with either a native or
> custom user interface (UI) to iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X with no code
> changes. RAD Studio XE6 supports multiple versions of Android,
> including 4.4 KitKat."

Nothing in that statement indicates native UI controls are used.

> But if, as you say, Firemonkey does not provide native controls

It does not, no.  Its UI controls are custom controls implemented manually
from scratch.

> then there shouldn't be any native controls to wrap.

Of course there would be.  Third-party custom components simply access platform-specific
APIs directly.

> The FM controls would do their own rendering of platform-independent controls.

That is exactly what FireMonkey does.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
On 29/04/2014 19:25, Luigi Sandon wrote:
> "We know Delphi is buggy, please buy it anyway"

Well I was an early adopter of Silverlight and I can tell you that FMX
is improving more quickly than that did - it was v4 before it became useful.

 > No as long as it mimics controls and try to implement
 > a "design once, run everywhere"

When it comes to consumer-oriented apps I'd agree the jury is still out
whether FMX will succeed, but for LoB apps it's perfect. The one common
theme in my trawling of mobile UI design papers is that for business
apps "respecting the platform" is secondary - the key is to get an app
that behaves the same on all platforms.

All polemics against FMX that I've read conveniently ignore this point.
I suppose it's the compromise that business users will have to put up
with in exchange for BYOD.

Cheers, Bob
0
Bob
4/29/2014 7:58:53 PM
> When it comes to consumer-oriented apps I'd agree the jury is still out
> whether FMX will succeed, but for LoB apps it's perfect. The one common

Depends. We have a client for one of our application whichi is used by executive and upper management. They want it work exactly like a native app, and you can say "no" to this kind of "consumer". Sure, if your app is used by waiters or warehouse clerk you can force upon them whatever you like.

> theme in my trawling of mobile UI design papers is that for business
> apps "respecting the platform" is secondary - the key is to get an app
> that behaves the same on all platforms.

Depends on you business. If you also control deployment for in-house applications, maybe. If you sell applications, some customers may not like "out-of-place" mobile applications. Often, being able to offer a mobile applications that looks and feels native on its platform is a big selling point.

Do you like Qt or GTK applications under Windows? I don't, and any time I can, I avoid them.
0
Luigi
4/30/2014 7:37:13 AM
> Do you like Qt or GTK applications under Windows? I don't, and any time I can, I avoid them.

In the hands of capable developers, non native guis can be done well.  I
mean if the Jetbrains guys can make a java app great anything is possible.
0
Mike
> Enquiring wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the clarification. What threw me was the press release
> > quoted in such articles as:
> >
> > http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1332/2014/4/16/Embarcadero-RAD-Studio-
> > XE6-Provides-C++-Visual-Development-Environment-for-Android/
> >
> > This included the statement that:
> >
> > "A simple recompile delivers the same app with either a native or
> > custom user interface (UI) to iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X with no code
> > changes. RAD Studio XE6 supports multiple versions of Android,
> > including 4.4 KitKat."
>
> Nothing in that statement indicates native UI controls are used.

To my mind "native user interface" implies a user interface that is built entirely from UI controls native to the platform. Otherwise the UI would not be 100% native, but hybrid. OTOH a UI built from FM platform-independent controls should be classified as a custom UI, in as much as it does not strictly comply with the GUI standards of any of the mobile platforms. Personally, I have no problem with a platform-independent custom UI, especially for software aimed at professional and corporate users. Corpora
te users may prefer to have a consistent UI whatever specific platform they are using, preferably customised for their own organisation.

EM
0
Enquiring
4/30/2014 1:21:48 PM
> {quote:title=Luigi Sandon wrote:}{quote}
> > Why do you think it will be hard to support the "skin" from Windows Phone UI???
>
> They could skin them, but they won't be WP apps. It's pretty clear you don't use a WP phone. I use both an Android 4 phone and a WP 8 one, and the WP app workflow is very different. MS instead of adopting the old PalmOS workflow (which is what iOS and Android, despite multitouch + bell & whistles, still use), redesigned the UI from scratch.

So do you have any opinions regarding the relative merits of Windows Phone versus Android and iOS? What is inhibiting the take-up of Windows Phone?

EM
0
Enquiring
4/30/2014 1:28:37 PM
> {quote:title=Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> Enquiring Mind wrote:
>
> >  How are the native controls implemented? Are they simply Pascal
> > classes wrapping native control classes in the platform SDK/API?
>
> Guess... This is done in a way similar to how the VCL implements
> OS-provided controls, of course.

Yes, if FMX does wrap any native controls ... Otherwise not

> And FMX only supports some native controls. Most of them are still
> emulated. There are 3rd party libraries that do wrap native controls
> for OS X, iOS and/or Android, though.

If I read Remy's post correctly, FMX does not provide any wrapped native controls, all FMX controls are rendered by FMX code, not by platform-specific APIs.

EM
0
Enquiring
4/30/2014 1:33:34 PM
> {quote:title=Enquiring Mind wrote:}{quote}
>
> If I read Remy's post correctly, FMX does not provide any wrapped native controls, all FMX controls are rendered by FMX code, not by platform-specific APIs.

TWebBrowser is a wrapper.
0
Eli
4/30/2014 1:40:59 PM
> If I read Remy's post correctly, FMX does not provide any wrapped native controls, all FMX controls are rendered by FMX code, not by platform-specific APIs.

Most FMX controls are custom rendered... but there are some native elements, such as WebBrowser, Date and Time Pickers, message dialogs... So, it is a hybrid, but most of controls are custom draw...
0
Eric
4/30/2014 1:48:10 PM
Am 29.04.2014 21:27, schrieb Remy Lebeau (TeamB):
> Enquiring wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification. What threw me was the press release
>> quoted in such articles as:
>>
>> http://appdevelopermagazine.com/1332/2014/4/16/Embarcadero-RAD-Studio-
>> XE6-Provides-C++-Visual-Development-Environment-for-Android/
>>
>> This included the statement that:
>>
>> "A simple recompile delivers the same app with either a native or
>> custom user interface (UI) to iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X with no code
>> changes. RAD Studio XE6 supports multiple versions of Android,
>> including 4.4 KitKat."
>
> Nothing in that statement indicates native UI controls are used.
>
>> But if, as you say, Firemonkey does not provide native controls
>
> It does not, no.  Its UI controls are custom controls implemented manually
> from scratch.

Hello,

afaik 1-2 selected ones on each plattform are wrappers around native
controls now. If I'm not mistaken it was something about date pickers...

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus

XG Mobile App (Delphi XE2/Firemonkey ) now in the app store
My app is finally in the App Store. My thanks go to forum members for the help provided in all the post here. Xavier Dufaure de Citres ----- _*XG Mobile for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch now in the App Store*_ XG Mobile is the portable version of the acclaimed program "eXtreme Gammon" for PC. You can now have the power and accuracy of eXtreme Gammon in the palm of your hands. In its few years of existence (since 2009) eXtreme gammon has been recognized as the best backgammon program available. This has been confirmed by top players in the world and by independen...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

problem delphi 2010 apps with a delphi 5 pro Pchar
Hallo I build on till now alle tools and programas with delphi 5 pro now i have delphi 2010 want don't want rewite alle my DLL Tools Like The tool i made for making PDF In case of This DLL i can't becose the vcl i use in delphi 5 will not work in delphi 2010 *This call in apps* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall external 'GUPPDF2.dll'; {code} *In delphi 5 DLL* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall; {code} if call the function i get a "Access violation" i think that the settings parameter empty is...

Delphi Apps in Mobile platforms [Edit]
Delphi XE2 is bundled with iOS support which gives us enough confidence about the future of Delphi. I want to discuss about how they are going to be implemented. I am quite sure Delphi for Android is going to be based on fire-monkey GUI, but what about the byte-code , It will be based on Dalvic or native ARM code. Its quite sure Delphi for Metro (windows 8 )will be released in XE3 . [see the comment by Thom Gerdes|https://plus.google.com/101466385048851863100/posts/26z7Pk9Hipo] What about giving life for Delphi for .net again for mobile platform.(which will reduce the work on...

Pop-up on Mobile apps (FireMonkey / Delphi )
Hi everyone, I'm currently working on a FireMonkey mobile app with Delphi (XE6) and since i'm really new to this i'm in need of a little bit of help. For my App i'd like to build in a subscription screen that would work like a pop-up, showing modal on the same form than the login. I've been looking around a bit on the internet but couldn't find any usefull advice. I found a video ("FireMonkey: Showing Modal form with animation and Shadow effect" from Yaroslav Brovin) thad proved me that it was possible, but was unable to find how. I'm sure it'...

Android App Support in Delphi ETA?
Hi -- I have read that the latest release of Delphi supports building iOS applications and that support for Linux and Android were "coming soon" and I wondered if anyone had an ETA of the ability to create Android apps? I would like to leverage my knowledge of Pascal as opposed to learning PHP to create Android apps. Thanks Rich Richard Morey wrote: > I have read that the latest release of Delphi supports building iOS > applications and that support for Linux and Android were "coming > soon" and I wondered if anyone had an ETA of the ability to crea...

Making Delphi app support IPv6
My client is converting to IPv6 and asked me if my app can work with IPv6. First time i heard that a company needs to use IPv6 so this is completely alien to me. I'm using DBExpress and INDY in my app. Has anyone gone through such a conversion and would not mind sharing your experience? Or is there a software that can make any IPv4 app work in an IPv6 environment? ;) <joshua lim> wrote in message news:304779@forums.embarcadero.com... > I'm using DBExpress and INDY in my app. Has > anyone gone through such a conversion and would > not mind sharing your ex...

How to build enterprise-grade Delphi app
Hi It would be nice to build enterprise-grade appl with Delphi, but are the options or third party software (like in J2EE) to do this? e.g. 1) there is J2EE middleware for hosting components - developer is not required to handle all the issues that are connected with session handling and different contexts in which the components can be stored (like application, session, request context, etc.). I understand that some of this can be done in DataSnap or in Web Services (can be even PHP, Java or .NET) and Delphi client - but in both cases there are some drawbacks: - for DataSnap - much shou...

Delphi 2006 product activation (re end of support for Delphi 2006) [Edit]
Apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I recently got an email informing me support for Delphi 2006 was going to be dropped. I have mostly converted to Delphi 2009 now, but I'll still be able to activate my copy of 2006 on any future installation right? Edited by: David Howes on Jul 18, 2009 9:53 AM David Howes wrote: > Apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I recently got an email informing me support for Delphi 2006 was going to be dropped. I have mostly converted to Delphi 2009 now, but I'll still be able to acti...

Samsung Multi Window support in Delphi / FMX app?
Hi, I have a Samsung SIII phone and I was reading about support for Samsung Multi-Window in apps here: http://www.modaco.com/topic/358471-developers-add-support-for-samsung-multi-window-to-your-apps/ The instructions seem easy enough, however has anyone tried it in a Delphi / FMX app? Thanks, Paul Closing ...

FireDAC mobile app error as sqlite as delphi XE7
i im trying of connect my app as FireDAC but i have some errors. I follor all steps of Mobile_Tutotils_en_pdf file for delphi XE7. First i add one FireDAConnection compoent, after i in FireDAConnection Edito i set DriverID as Sqlite, in Database parameter i set this existing sqlite database "shoplist.s3db i create this database and table as other tool, and i can to add this to DBExpres in data exploer and i can to use it in one mobile delphi project", and i set lockingmode to normal as this manual tell. After as tell in page 269 of this manual when i click over test button, i ...

Delphi XE5 - Mobile
I also have the same problem. With the IPad Mini opening form with TListView with livebindings (400 records) is slow and even sometimes the application closes by itself (crash). Memory Problems? Because if I open 2/3 form with the TListView in LiveBinding, the application slows down or even close? What is the best practice to develop Mibile (iPadMini)? When you have many masks entering or viewing, I have to use the Form or use TabControl with TabSheet for increased speed and performance? Livebindings use or avoid using the bindings? In short, to have a fast application which the best pra...

Web resources about - Delphi support for mobile apps - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Legged Squad Support System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Legged Squad Support System ( LS3 ) is a DARPA project for a legged robot which could function autonomously as a packhorse for a squad of ...

Latest tech support scam stokes concerns Dell customer data was breached
Enlarge (credit: Jjpwiki ) Tech-support scams, in which fraudsters pose as computer technicians who charge hefty fees to fix non-existent malware ...

This custom $30,000 PC is a gamer’s dream; can support 7 gamers with just one rig
During CES this week, Sony proudly announced that they sold over 5.4 million PS4 units during the 2015 holiday shopping season, bringing the ...

Windows tech support: Keyboard and mouse
Get your input devices to input, and tweak power-saving mode and pointer sensitivity.

Ongoing MD5 support endangers cryptographic protocols
... weakening their security. Researchers from the INRIA institute in France have devised several attacks which prove that the continued support ...

Taxpayer Advocate Concerned About IRS Plans To Move More Support Online
... last year for U.S. taxpayers with questions or problems. Yet looking forward to the next decade or so, changes in how the IRS provides support ...

The Media Doesn't Tell Us Most Gun Owners Support Background Checks
... we? Media Matters points out the media covers gun violence issues without any real context namely, that most people (even gun owners) support ...

Reports: C-130 In Support Of Trapped Operators Restricted Due To Fears Of ‘Collateral Damage’
'Delayed due to bureaucratic hurdles and the Administration’s restrictive rules of engagement.'

Charlie Sheen Looks to Dr. Oz for Emotional Support in HIV Battle: 'This Disease Chose the Wrong Person' ...
After announcing he's HIV positive, Charlie Sheen is piecing his life back together with help from Dr. Mehmet Oz.

Mozilla Re-enables SHA-1 Certificate Support in Firefox
SHA-1 does still matter as Mozilla backtracks on support. However, don't expect the company to support SHA-1 for the long term.