Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Thinking about making the conversion.  Of course we have numerous components such as:
TurboPower AsyncPro,
TurboPower Orpheus
ICS2
Synactis All-In-The-Box.
You guys have any advice as to the effort and time it may possibly take.  It is a large application, several hundred thousand lines.
0
James
6/20/2013 10:32:03 PM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.non-tech
📃 5933 articles.
⭐ 1 followers.

💬 14 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2815 Views

And that's what happens when using third party components, a lot of extra work. I have been burned a few times.
I now minimize the use to a few well known suppliers, like TMS.
I have "banned" a lot of other components.
Regards,
Ole

> Thinking about making the conversion.  Of course we have numerous components such as:
> TurboPower AsyncPro,
> TurboPower Orpheus
> ICS2
> Synactis All-In-The-Box.

0
Ole
6/21/2013 8:36:32 AM
Am 21.06.2013 10:24, schrieb Robert Triest:
>> You guys have any advice as to the effort and time it may possibly take.  It is a large application, several hundred thousand lines.
>
> It's almost impossible without seeing the code how long it would take.
>
> First indeed you need all the 3th party components you use for XE4.
> (I hope you are not planning to convert this code yourself if you have the source..)
>
> There is a lot changed on the form side between Delphi 5 and Delphi 7 and some people first do the conversion to Delphi 7.
> (You can download almost all the Delphi versions (>D7) when you buy Delphi XE4)
>
> http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/previous-versions
Hello,
in that case I'd first go to D2007 as this is the newest non unicode
version and included in the previous-versions offer. The IDE looks more
similiar to XE4 then already and you can benefit from some of the
refactorings I guess (like rename).
Is ICS2 Internet Component Suite from www.overbyte.be?
If yes the current version is V7 or V8.
Greetings
Markus
0
Markus
6/21/2013 5:16:57 PM
> {quote:title=Ole Ekerhovd wrote:}{quote}
> And that's what happens when using third party components, a lot of extra work. I have been burned a few times.
>
> I now minimize the use to a few well known suppliers, like TMS.
>
> I have "banned" a lot of other components.
>
> Regards,
> Ole
>

> > Thinking about making the conversion.  Of course we have numerous components such as:
> > TurboPower AsyncPro,
> > TurboPower Orpheus
> > ICS2
> > Synactis All-In-The-Box.

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I am tackling the component issue first to find out how to proceed there.  Luckily we use no external databases or report components.  I converted all of our in house components without a problem, I think.  Now going to tackle our interface components first, TurboPower Orpheus.  I wish there was a set of really good edit boxes (numeric, float, integer, date, time and such) as part of the core product, MaskEdit just doesn't cut it.
I am really liking XE so far however.  I noticed that many of the components I used from external sources in Delphi 5 have been included in the product since then.
0
James
6/21/2013 6:51:55 PM
> You guys have any advice as to the effort and time it may possibly take.  It is a large application, several hundred thousand lines.
It's almost impossible without seeing the code how long it would take.
First indeed you need all the 3th party components you use for XE4.
(I hope you are not planning to convert this code yourself if you have the source..)
There is a lot changed on the form side between Delphi 5 and Delphi 2007 and some people first do the conversion to D2007.
(You can download almost all the Delphi versions (>D7) when you buy Delphi XE4)
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/previous-versions

The biggest hurdle will be to UniCode your application and here it gets difficult to see how much time you need.
Read this paper and see how much of your code is affected.
http://www.embarcadero.com/images/dm/technical-papers/delphi-unicode-migration.pdf

Changed step version to D2007 according to Markus comments..
Edited by: Robert Triest on Jun 21, 2013 11:04 PM
0
Robert
6/21/2013 9:06:57 PM
> {quote:title=Ole Ekerhovd wrote:}{quote}
> And that's what happens when using third party components, a lot of extra work. I have been burned a few times.
It was the beginning of the end for poor e-mail program Pocomail, one of the best e-mail programs I ever used, which sadly used a 3rd-party HTML/browser library with no source code available. :-( Combined with the decrease in revenue with the rise of web-based mail, it made the massive rewrite that was necessary economically unfeasible, and then bitrot set in as new versions of Windows were released, Unicode became widespread, IMAP became common, etc.
0
Joseph
6/23/2013 4:03:37 AM
Joseph Mitzen wrote:
> used a 3rd-party
> HTML/browser library with no source code available.

An outstanding reason to not use third party components or libraries
that ship without source code.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
James Foreman skrev 2013-06-21 20:51:
>   Now going to tackle our interface components first, TurboPower Orpheus.  I wish there was a set of really good edit boxes (numeric, float, integer, date, time and such) as part of the core product, MaskEdit just doesn't cut it.
Did you have a look at DevExpress? We had a few Orpheus editors in my
main project when I got into it many years ago. I always found them
strange, converted to InfoPower and DevEx (now only DevEx - fewer is
better) and everythin works fine!
/Anders
0
Anders
6/24/2013 6:04:53 AM
"Bruce McGee" <bmcgee@glooscap.com> wrote in message
> Joseph Mitzen wrote:
>
>> used a 3rd-party
>> HTML/browser library with no source code available.
>

> An outstanding reason to not use third party components or libraries
> that ship without source code.
>
> --

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2013-06-13/
0
Jerry
6/24/2013 10:39:54 PM
> {quote:title=Jerry Martin wrote:}{quote}
> "Bruce McGee" <bmcgee@glooscap.com> wrote in message
> > Joseph Mitzen wrote:
> >
> >> used a 3rd-party
> >> HTML/browser library with no source code available.
> >

> > An outstanding reason to not use third party components or libraries
> > that ship without source code.
> >
> > --
>

> http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2013-06-13/

Ok Status Update.  I did get Turbo Power Orpheus and AsyncPro to intall correctly with Delphi XE4.  Currently tackling All-In-The-Box from Synactis.  Currently does not give me option to install to XE4, just Delphi 5 even though Delphi XE, XE2,m and XE3 are options, buy grayed.  Have e-mail in to Synactis. If I somehow get this going I will be very relieved.
0
James
6/25/2013 3:53:05 AM
>Currently does not give me option to install to XE4, just Delphi 5 even though Delphi XE, XE2,m and XE3 are options, buy grayed.
Maybe it is looking to your installed versions and you have Delphi 5 on your system. XE4 is not supported (not in the list) and the other XE's
are supported but not on your system. The good thing is that it is supporting XE3 and they might update the package soon with
XE4. Is there source code involved or just the different Delpi versions BPL and DCU's?
0
Robert
6/25/2013 9:02:51 AM
> {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote}
> >Currently does not give me option to install to XE4, just Delphi 5 even though Delphi XE, XE2,m and XE3 are options, buy grayed.
> Maybe it is looking to your installed versions and you have Delphi 5 on your system. XE4 is not supported (not in the list) and the other XE's
> are supported but not on your system. The good thing is that it is supporting XE3 and they might update the package soon with
> XE4. Is there source code involved or just the different Delpi versions BPL and DCU's?

No source code.  Just got e-mail from Synactis.  They are coming out with an XE4 version soon.  They do in fact have an XE3 version so I MAY be out of the woods soon on that one.
May also see if possible to but the source code just in case if something happens in the future.
Still have a few more land mines to go. Still trying to get JVCL components to compile so I can install what used to be the RX Tools DateEdit component.  I use that darn thing everywhere because it allows dates to be selected from a dialog and
our app is for touchscreens so a lot more convenient than the calendar that pops up just beneath the Edit Box on most components.
0
James
6/25/2013 2:25:44 PM
> I use that darn thing everywhere ..
Yes, I know that feeling with the FormStorage component that remembers the position, size and
the component property values of the form in registry or ini file. A lot of forms have this component.
Remember that all these components are declared in the form *.DFM files in plain-text.
So, writing a small dfm parser and do a search/replace of the component declaration must be possible.
0
Robert
6/25/2013 2:54:19 PM
On 23/06/2013 13:33, Joseph Mitzen wrote:>> {quote:title=Ole Ekerhovd
wrote:}{quote}
 >> And that's what happens when using third party components, a lot of
extra work. I have been burned a few times.
In my case (D3->XE2) it was the XceedZip components. They still exist
but are now prohibitively expensive. In this case Abbrevia (free) turned
out to be the best solution. (After fiddling with XE2's supposed zip
capability.)
My best win - more of an escape - was with Trestructure, which came with
source, and only needed a couple of fixes.
Lucky I only had a handful of 3P components. I'm going to keep it that way.
Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: agabb@tpg.com.au       Adelaide, South Australia