Can I assume the new Nexus 5 will run Delphi Android apps ?

Like a fool I dropped and broke my Galaxy S4, now need to replace it.  The Nexus 5 that just came out looks great, and affordable.  What I can't tell from any reviews is if it has a ARM and NEON support.
Can anyone tell me or point me to a link that answers that ?  If I order it I think I need to do it quickly, as the 16G is already sold out.
John
11/1/2013 12:19:38 PM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.non-tech
📃 5933 articles.
⭐ 1 followers.

💬 8 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1408 Views

<John Mitchell> wrote in message news:629970@forums.embarcadero.com...
> Like a fool I dropped and broke my Galaxy S4, now need to replace it.  The Nexus 5 that just came out looks great, and affordable.  What I can't tell from any reviews is if it has a ARM and NEON support.
> Can anyone tell me or point me to a link that answers that ?  If I order it I think I need to do it quickly, as the 16G is already sold out.
I played with a new Nexus 7 running a Delphi Android app at a recent meeting, and it works fine! I should imagine all the modern Android versions >=4 work. So, it should work on a Nexus 5 too. Good luck.
--
~_~
Mark Jacobs
John Mitchell wrote:
> Like a fool I dropped and broke my Galaxy S4, now need to replace it.
> The Nexus 5 that just came out looks great, and affordable.  What I
> can't tell from any reviews is if it has a ARM and NEON support.
>
> Can anyone tell me or point me to a link that answers that ?  If I
> order it I think I need to do it quickly, as the 16G is already sold
> out.  Thanks
I can't find a reference that says the Nexus 5 supports NEON, either.
The Nexus 4 works well with Delphi, but I wouldn't assume the same
applies to the Nexus 5 until someone has tried it.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
"Bruce McGee" <bmcgee@glooscap.com> wrote in message
> John Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Like a fool I dropped and broke my Galaxy S4, now need to replace it.
>> The Nexus 5 that just came out looks great, and affordable.  What I
>> can't tell from any reviews is if it has a ARM and NEON support.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me or point me to a link that answers that ?  If I
>> order it I think I need to do it quickly, as the 16G is already sold
>> out.  Thanks
>
> I can't find a reference that says the Nexus 5 supports NEON, either.
>
> The Nexus 4 works well with Delphi, but I wouldn't assume the same
> applies to the Nexus 5 until someone has tried it.

someone reporting first hand probably would be good, but in absence of that:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2131918
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531
0
david
11/1/2013 2:00:55 PM
david hoke wrote:
> someone reporting first hand probably would be good, but in absence
> of that:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2131918
> http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531

I only see references to the Nexus 4, which we know works.
Am I missing something?
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
> david hoke wrote:
>
>> someone reporting first hand probably would be good, but in absence
>> of that:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2131918
>> http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531
>

> I only see references to the Nexus 4, which we know works.
>
> Am I missing something?
Maybe not, let's add this one (Krait 400 CPU):
http://www.dailytech.com/Nexus+5+Android+44+Kit+Kat+Arrive+Today/article33666.htm
0
david
11/1/2013 2:19:39 PM
david hoke wrote:
> Maybe not, let's add this one (Krait 400 CPU):

http://www.dailytech.com/Nexus+5+Android+44+Kit+Kat+Arrive+Today/article33666.htm
Now we're getting somewhere.
And both your first link and the Wikipedia entry say that the Krait CPU
does indeed support NEON.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krait_%28CPU%29

Thanks.
Though, I'll wait for someone to test it with Delphi before I
accidentally drop my Nexus 4.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Enjoy it ;)
Edited by: Gonzalo Fernandez on Nov 7, 2013 4:06 PM
0
Gonzalo
11/8/2013 12:06:57 AM
> {quote:title=John Mitchell wrote:}{quote}
> Like a fool I dropped and broke my Galaxy S4, now need to replace it.  The Nexus 5 that just came out looks great, and affordable.  What I can't tell from any reviews is if it has a ARM and NEON support.
>
> Can anyone tell me or point me to a link that answers that ?  If I order it I think I need to do it quickly, as the 16G is already sold out.
Yes.
LG Google Nexus 5 has Neon support (tested using the armv7neon app).
And with pretty high confidence, yes, you should be able to compile Delphi XE5 apps successfully and run these apps on the LG Google Nexus 5 mobile telephone.
As it has succeeded successfully for at least one tested app.
See also:
How to add the LG Google Nexus 5 to Embarcadero Delphi XE5?
http://goo.gl/Y0aTU3
with friendly greetings,
Knud van Eeden
0