Are you going to migrate b.p.d historical posts to this server?

See subject line.
0
Andrew

> {quote:title=Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:}{quote}
> See subject line.

No, I don't believe so.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager
> {quote:title=Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:}{quote}
> See subject line.

Nope.  Google groups will essentially archive what there is forever and we never maintained any archives greater than the 180 day expiry period.  We get to start with a clean slate.  Speaking of which, during this beta don't get super attached to this data... think Etch-A-Sketch:)
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
0
John Frazier wrote:
> Google groups will essentially archive what there is forever and we never maintained any archives greater than the 180 day expiry period.  We get to start with a clean slate.

But remember that since you are now requiring authentication, Google
will NOT get a look in on these new groups, so -- if you stick to your
180 day expiry rule -- then the accumulated knowledge of your customers
will thereafter be lost forever.

One of the reasons that I continue to use Delphi, is the continuing
availability (via Google) of programming solutions posted by other users
  in the past. This is worth far more than any FAQ.

=> IMHO if you trash the old posts then you are also going to trash a
lot of your customer loyalty too...
0
Andrew
8/10/2008 7:24:55 AM
Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:
> John Frazier wrote:
>> Google groups will essentially archive what there is forever and we never maintained any archives greater than the 180 day expiry period.  We get to start with a clean slate.
>
> But remember that since you are now requiring authentication, Google
> will NOT get a look in on these new groups, so -- if you stick to your
> 180 day expiry rule -- then the accumulated knowledge of your customers
> will thereafter be lost forever.
>
> One of the reasons that I continue to use Delphi, is the continuing
> availability (via Google) of programming solutions posted by other users
>   in the past. This is worth far more than any FAQ.
>
> => IMHO if you trash the old posts then you are also going to trash a
> lot of your customer loyalty too...

Agreed. But they can use other FTS engine for this. Or perhaps it
would be even a better alternative something dedicated for our ng. Not
having to struggle with Google's query settings to filter the ngs in
order to extract only the desired results.

--

m. th.
m. Th. wrote:
> Or perhaps it
> would be even a better alternative something dedicated for our ng.
> Not having to struggle with Google's query settings to filter the ngs
> in order to extract only the desired results.

I hope http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm picks up on it soon.

Dominique
8/10/2008 8:37:48 AM
Dominique Willems <dom wrote:
> m. Th. wrote:
>> Or perhaps it
>> would be even a better alternative something dedicated for our ng.
>> Not having to struggle with Google's query settings to filter the ngs
>> in order to extract only the desired results.
>
> I hope http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm picks up on it soon.
>
> --

Yeah, I know. But their page layout is... uhhhh...

--

m. th.
Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:

> > Google groups will essentially archive what there is forever and we
> > never maintained any archives greater than the 180 day expiry
> > period.  We get to start with a clean slate.
>
> But remember that since you are now requiring authentication, Google
> will NOT get a look in on these new groups, so -- if you stick to
> your 180 day expiry rule -- then the accumulated knowledge of your
> customers will thereafter be lost forever.

The login is only needed when you want to post messages, you can lurk
the public NGs without logging in.

--
Pieter
0
"Andrew Fiddian-Green" <nn@dd> wrote in message

> But remember that since you are now requiring authentication, Google
will NOT get a look in on these new groups,

Authentication is only needed for posting to the groups. They can still be
read without any authentication. This helps cut down on spam and trolls.

--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
0
Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:

> John Frazier wrote:
> > Google groups will essentially archive what there is forever and we
> > never maintained any archives greater than the 180 day expiry
> > period.  We get to start with a clean slate.
>
> But remember that since you are now requiring authentication

Only for posting. Not required for reading, AFAIK. So Google can still
read these groups without any problem.

"Descended from the apes? Let us hope that it is not true. But
 if it is, let us pray that it may not become generally known."
 -- FA Montagu.
0
Rudy
8/10/2008 3:21:16 PM
John,

| Speaking of which, during this beta don't get super attached to this
data... think Etch-A-Sketch:)

How about these new forum groups?  Google won't be able to get to them.

Also, how about TamarackA?

08/10/2008 10:53:41

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/10/2008 5:54:48 PM
Pieter,

| The login is only needed when you want to post messages, you can lurk
| the public NGs without logging in.

Ah.  Then I guess Google and TamarackA will be OK.

08/10/2008 10:55:42

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/10/2008 5:56:18 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> John,
>
> >  Speaking of which, during this beta don't get super attached to
> > this
> data... think Etch-A-Sketch:)
>
> How about these new forum groups?  Google won't be able to get to
> them.

Why not? Users can read without authenticating.

"I think 'Hail to the Chief' has a nice ring to it."
 -- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) when asked what is his favorite
    song
0
Rudy
8/10/2008 5:56:21 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> Pieter,
>
> >  The login is only needed when you want to post messages, you can
> > lurk  the public NGs without logging in.
>
> Ah.  Then I guess Google and TamarackA will be OK.

Well... yes... sort of...

Google still doesn't give a decent group search as it used to do and
Tamaracka... I don't like the way they present the search results.

--
Pieter
0
> {quote:title=Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:}{quote}
> See subject line.
That history was very important and was very helpful in giving me solutions that were more tightly focused on problems I have encountered in Delphi.  Using Goolge is more like the help system has become.  Lots of useless garbage with some golden nuggets inside.  Thats great if you can find them.

This seems to be a programmers decision that does not consider input from its customers.
0
Rafel
8/11/2008 2:18:28 AM
Pieter,

| Tamaracka... I don't like the way they present the search results.

It's pretty old and a bit creaky. <g>

08/10/2008 19:35:13

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 2:35:45 AM
"Rafel Coyle" wrote in message news:961@forums.codegear.com...

That history was very important and was very helpful in giving me solutions
that were more tightly focused on problems I have encountered in Delphi.
Using Goolge is more like the help system has become.  Lots of useless
garbage with some golden nuggets inside.  Thats great if you can find them.
<<<

Are you using google advanced groups search?
(http://groups.google.com/advanced_search)

This seems to be a programmers decision that does not consider input from
its customers.
<<<

Messages expired from the old groups after 180 days (maximum) anyway. So
even if migrated it would be a short history. Google gives you a complete
history.

--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
0
Wayne
8/11/2008 4:21:53 AM
> {quote:title=Wayne Niddery wrote:}{quote}
> "Rafel Coyle" wrote in message news:961@forums.codegear.com...
> >>>
> That history was very important and was very helpful in giving me solutions
> that were more tightly focused on problems I have encountered in Delphi.
> Using Goolge is more like the help system has become.  Lots of useless
> garbage with some golden nuggets inside.  Thats great if you can find them.
> <<<
>
> Are you using google advanced groups search?
> (http://groups.google.com/advanced_search)

snip
> Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
> Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
No.  I'm not using advanced_search.  I counted on the newsgroups to keep this information. If they could weed out the wasted replies (lots in non-tech) it would have been nice to keep the info. a lot longer that 180 days.  There is information that I found on Google at one time, but I can no longer find it.  I am sure that its there, but I have spent lots of time trying to find it with no luck.  AFAIAC feel free to start over who cares about our (my) time its not theirs.  Maybe in the new format they will
 keep the data a bit longer.

There are groups like DevExpress that keep their support results, etc. a lot longer and it is very helpful to find out results from problems experienced by others.  This even gives me ideas on product enhancements,

Its CodeGear's site they should do their thing.  I have been tring to get to the site for several days now and just saw the update to the website today.  That should have been posted sooner.

I'm done with this rant and will not respond to this item any longer.
0
Rafel
8/11/2008 6:55:55 AM
> No.  I'm not using advanced_search.  I counted on the newsgroups to keep this information. If they could weed out the wasted replies (lots in non-tech) it would have been nice to keep the info. a lot longer that 180 days.  There is information that I found on Google at one time, but I can no longer find it.  I am sure that its there, but I have spent lots of time trying to find it with no luck.  AFAIAC feel free to start over who cares about our (my) time its not theirs.  Maybe in the new format they wi
ll keep the data a bit longer.

What would be cool is if select replies could be moved into some sort of Newsgroup FAQ with a search on the front.  That way, we could get the best of both worlds.  If a Embarcadero employee sees a question with a nice answer, the info gets moved to a knowledge base.  Hostory becomes less important.

---
Dean
0
Dean
8/11/2008 9:11:54 AM
> {quote:title=Rafel Coyle wrote:}{quote}

> This seems to be a programmers decision that does not consider input from its customers.

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that the old server +died+ .Fortunately the plan to move to these new forums was already in the works.
0
Mike
8/11/2008 1:58:50 PM
Since no-one else has asked yet I shall. Didn't CodeGear have backups?

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
8/11/2008 2:19:50 PM
Rafel Coyle wrote:

> I counted on the newsgroups to keep this information.

	It never did in the past. Google was the only way.

> Maybe in the new format they will keep the data a bit longer.

	Yes, I think so. Odd that you're complaining so much when the new
system would seem to give you what you want, and the old system never
did.

> I have been tring to get to the site for several days now and just
> saw the update to the website today.  That should have been posted
> sooner.

	It was posted less than 24 hours after the server died. Moreover, a
replacement server was brought online < 24 hours later, even though it
wasn't planned for public release yet. Sorry you missed it, but that's
a pretty quick reaction, all things considered.

> I'm done with this rant and will not respond to this item any longer.

	If you check the facts, you would seem to have little to complain
about.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
Roy Lambert wrote:

> Didn't CodeGear have backups?

	From what I know of the problem, I don't think that restoring a backup
would fix it.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig
8/11/2008 2:24:37 PM
In article <1074@forums.codegear.com>, Craig Stuntz
<craig_stuntz@nospam.please.invalid> wrote
>Rafel Coyle wrote:
>> I counted on the newsgroups to keep this information.
>
>       It never did in the past. Google was the only way.

Or a properly designed offline news reader :)

--
Bob Evans
0
Robert Evans wrote:

> Or a properly designed offline news reader :)

	That would work if you had been using it at least once a month since
the first day the server was working. Otherwise, not so much.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig
8/11/2008 3:32:12 PM
Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote:

> But remember that since you are now requiring authentication, Google
> will NOT get a look in on these new groups, so -- if you stick to
> your 180 day expiry rule -- then the accumulated knowledge of your
> customers will thereafter be lost forever.

Thanks for raising this issue, but you're mistaken on the particulars.

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38435#4Testing

Our server implements single sign-on. You must have a CodeGear
membership services account to post content. Our public discussion
forums can be read without logging in, but posting content requires a
valid login.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
m. Th. wrote:

> But they can use other FTS engine for this.

Jive has a very capable one built in. Try it.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/11/2008 4:37:30 PM
Pieter Zijlstra wrote:

>  I don't like the way they present the search results.

Try the built-in search then.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/11/2008 4:38:00 PM
In article <1102@forums.codegear.com>, Craig Stuntz
<craig_stuntz@nospam.please.invalid> wrote
>Robert Evans wrote:
>
>> Or a properly designed offline news reader :)
>
>       That would work if you had been using it at least once a month since
>the first day the server was working. Otherwise, not so much.

Why once a month if the server retention was longer than that?  Though
in any case the NNTP client here polls most of its servers every 10
minutes.

[And the argument about missing posts made long before the very first
visit might hold more water if there were any intention to migrate all
the threads from the old server to the new forums...]

However the more important point is that a good offline newsreader
permits the user to archive everything - or just especially relevant /
interesting posts and threads - in a local database having very powerful
search facilities.

Anyway the new setup seems to be working quite well, although I'm no fan
of web-based forums and therefore grateful for the NNTP facility.  The
NEWNEWS command seems to be properly supported now, which is a bonus.

But it's a pity that the server is messing with the headers to give some
of us a split personality.

--
Bob Evans
0
Robert Evans wrote:

> Why once a month if the server retention was longer than that?

	It wasn't, for the most part. Only a couple groups were longer.

> However the more important point is that a good offline newsreader
> permits the user to archive everything

	Everything on the server, which isn't the same as "everything."

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig
8/11/2008 4:52:20 PM
John,

| Jive has a very capable one built in. Try it.

How does one "try it" from a news-reader?

08/11/2008 10:09:38

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 5:10:23 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> How does one "try it" from a news-reader?

You can't. How does one use Google search from a newsreader? Or any
search engine not offered inside your NNTP reader?

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/11/2008 5:23:13 PM
John,

| You can't. How does one use Google search from a newsreader?
| Or any search engine not offered inside your NNTP reader?

<chuckle>  Forcing us into the web-view, eh?  ;-)

You do know I was just having some fun, don't you?  <g>

08/11/2008 10:33:58

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 5:35:27 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> <chuckle>  Forcing us into the web-view, eh?  ;-)

Not trying to. Just pointing out the functionality that's there.

> You do know I was just having some fun, don't you?  <g>

Sure, but it's certainly possible someone could integrate an external
search engine into the a news reader. After all, you have a unique
reference to the messages.

In fact, Leonel and I were discussing some ideas to customize XanaNews
for our forums at dinner last night. We'll explore some of that after
we get the more urgent issues resolved.

Just imagine ... there might even be new features for NNTP readers!
Perish the thought! :)

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/11/2008 5:43:58 PM
Dean Hill wrote:

>What would be cool is if select replies could be moved into some sort of
>Newsgroup FAQ with a search on the front.  That way, we could get the best
>of both worlds.  If a Embarcadero employee sees a question with a nice
>answer, the info gets moved to a knowledge base.  Hostory becomes less
>important.

Kind of like a few folks did with PeterBelow.ZIP?

--

-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

| In fact, Leonel and I were discussing some ideas to customize XanaNews
| for our forums at dinner last night. We'll explore some of that after
| we get the more urgent issues resolved.
|
| Just imagine ... there might even be new features for NNTP readers!
| Perish the thought! :)

Seriously, that's a very cool thought!

I hope Leonel knows how much some of us appreciate his work with helping
to keep XanaNews alive and kicking!

08/11/2008 11:12:07

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 6:14:11 PM
Brion,

| Kind of like a few folks did with PeterBelow.ZIP?

Has that been updated anyplace since 2000?

08/11/2008 11:15:57

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 6:16:34 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

>Brion,
>
>>  Kind of like a few folks did with PeterBelow.ZIP?
>
>Has that been updated anyplace since 2000?

I don't know if Peter's updated himself since then. ;-)

I haven't seen a repost of the doc in a few years, but pretty sure it was
more recent than that.  Not sure of the content.

--

-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'
- Mercedes Lackey
0
Brion
8/11/2008 6:47:55 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> I hope Leonel knows how much some of us appreciate his work with
> helping to keep XanaNews alive and kicking!

I think he does. he also pointed out to me that the majority of the
fixes in this last release were done by other people, and said he
really should have listed Jonathan Benedicto for some of Leonel's fixes
because Jon provided debugging assistance for Vista. Very gracious of
Leonel, all around ;)

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/11/2008 6:48:03 PM
John Kaster wrote:

> Pieter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> >  I don't like the way they present the search results.
>
> Try the built-in search then.

I do for some groups which are no indexed and for which I have enough
messages in the local message base. For the CG NGs I usually don't.
Google keeps track of a bit more messages than I'm willing to do ;-)

(*) my message base is >1GB.

--
Pieter
0
Quentin Correll wrote:

> Brion,
>
> >  Kind of like a few folks did with PeterBelow.ZIP?
>
> Has that been updated anyplace since 2000?

Yes, see CodeCentral:
http://cc.codegear.com/Item/19374
http://cc.codegear.com/Item/24294

--
Pieter
0

| I think he does. he also pointed out to me that the majority of the
| fixes in this last release were done by other people, and said he
| really should have listed Jonathan Benedicto for some of Leonel's fixes
| because Jon provided debugging assistance for Vista. Very gracious of
| Leonel, all around ;)

Yes, I know that quite a few people have now contributed to the
"unofficial" XanaNews code-base.  But it is Leonel that has provided the
SVN repository and the effort to maintain it and coordinate our mods.  He
can give Jonathan some kudos the next time around.  Which may not be too
long at the rate things are going. <g>

Now,...  if I can only get him to include my "old-eyes and hi-res display"
mods.  (He's told me that he doesn't care for them. <g>)

08/11/2008 12:33:34

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 7:40:08 PM
Brion,

| I haven't seen a repost of the doc in a few years, but pretty sure it was
| more recent than that.

The latest I could find was 2000.  But I didn't spend much time looking.

08/11/2008 12:40:21

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 7:41:00 PM
Pieter Zijlstra wrote:

> I do for some groups which are no indexed and for which I have enough
> messages in the local message base.

Sorry, I meant the search provided with Jive.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/11/2008 7:46:05 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> Now,...  if I can only get him to include my "old-eyes and hi-res
> display" mods.  (He's told me that he doesn't care for them. <g>)

Not with some kinda of a way to turn it off. <g>

--
Leonel
0
Leonel Togniolli wrote:

> Quentin Correll wrote:
>
> > Now,...  if I can only get him to include my "old-eyes and hi-res
> > display" mods.  (He's told me that he doesn't care for them. <g>)
>
> Not with some kinda of a way to turn it off. <g>

Just had a look at Q's screen dump and I must agree <g>

--
Pieter
0

| Not with[out] some kinda of a way to turn it off. <g>

Yeah, I know. <g>

Seriously, I've made considerably more changes since the last MainForm.pas
I sent you.  I now have the ToolBar buttons rearranged the way *I* like
them, with separators, etc., and bold type so I can actually read the
captions.  Did you see the screen-shot I put in forums.TalkTo.net.junk?

08/11/2008 13:01:48

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 8:08:06 PM
Pieter,

| Just had a look at Q's screen dump and I must agree <g>

Just wait until you get "old eyes."  :-P

08/11/2008 13:07:24

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 8:08:06 PM
Pieter,

| Yes, see CodeCentral:
| http://cc.codegear.com/Item/19374
| http://cc.codegear.com/Item/24294

Thanks!

08/11/2008 13:10:06

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 8:10:38 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> Seriously, I've made considerably more changes since the last
> MainForm.pas I sent you.  I now have the ToolBar buttons rearranged
> the way I like them, with separators, etc., and bold type so I can
> actually read the captions.  Did you see the screen-shot I put in
> forums.TalkTo.net.junk?

Yeah. All those changes can't be there without a way for them to be
customizable.

--
Leonel
0

| Yeah. All those changes can't be there without a way for them to be
| customizable.

That doesn't appear to be an easy task to me.

Guess I better hang onto my "Q" version for a while. <g>

08/11/2008 14:00:44

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/11/2008 9:03:07 PM
Quentin Correll schrieb:
> Leonel,
>
> | Yeah. All those changes can't be there without a way for them to be
> | customizable.
>
> That doesn't appear to be an easy task to me.
I haven't looked at your mods, but why don't you make XanaNews
DPI-aware? That way it would scale dependent on the OS settings and
change nothing for people who kept the default 96 DPI setting.
BTW Vista claims to work well even with apps that weren't designed with
scaling in mind.
0
Utf
8/11/2008 11:08:11 PM
,

| I haven't looked at your mods, but why don't you make XanaNews
| DPI-aware? That way it would scale dependent on the OS settings and
| change nothing for people who kept the default 96 DPI setting.

All I've done (Besides moving the toolbar buttons around.) is make some
fonts bold or make them use the Parent Font.

I have a couple of other apps of my own where I use "scaled" and have had
decidedly "mixed" results due to various 3rd-party components either not
scaling at all or poorly.  I ended up having to calculate a scale factor
and re-scale the things that didn't scale correctly with code, including
font sizes.  With some components scaling can be a real "mixed-bag" PITA.
<g>

08/11/2008 17:41:45

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/12/2008 12:47:08 AM
John Kaster wrote:

> You can't. How does one use Google search from a newsreader?

In XanaNews you select some text, right click and choose 'Find Selected
Text on Internet' from the popup menu.

--
Colin
0
Colin Wilson wrote:

> In XanaNews you select some text, right click and choose 'Find
> Selected Text on Internet' from the popup menu.

Sounds like XN could use an update to search our search engine :)

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com
Features and bugs: http://qc.codegear.com
Got source?  http://cc.codegear.com
0
John
8/12/2008 3:29:52 AM
John,

| Sounds like XN could use an update to search our search engine :)

Make your search engine the system's default search engine and try it.
You might be surprised. <g>

08/11/2008 22:13:07

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/12/2008 5:14:35 AM
Q, Leonel, and gang:

I think it's great that you're excited about improving XanaNews for those who use it, but do you have to keep hijacking every thread with your extended discussions about it?

Sheesh!

--
Rick Carter
carterrk@despammed.com
Wayne Niddery wrote:

> Authentication is only needed for posting to the groups. They can
> still be read without any authentication. This helps cut down on spam
> and trolls.

No more outrageous posts by people who like to hide behind one or more
assumed names?

That's a crying shame.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
Bruce McGee wrote:

> No more outrageous posts by people who like to hide behind one or more
> assumed names?

	Fewer, maybe. :)

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig
8/12/2008 2:35:30 PM
Bruce McGee wrote:

> No more outrageous posts by people who like to hide behind one or more
> assumed names?

You obviously haven't been to off-topic yet.  <vbg>

--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd

| but do you have to keep hijacking every thread with your extended
| discussions about it?
|
| Sheesh!

Hmmm,...  I took a look.  It seems, at least in this thread, to be a
typical case of what we used to call "thread drift." <g>

And since this is a new, "beta," environment I think we're sensitive to
potential problems and trying to get them sorted.  Replying to specific
statements and questions seems like the right thing to do.  And it's easy
to do without thinking about the subject header.  This particular "drift"
seems to have gotten started with one of John Kaster's replies.

I'll see if I can be a little more careful about changing the subject
header if appropriate when replying.  But no promises.  ;-)

08/12/2008 09:00:12

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everybody's + Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
8/12/2008 4:09:53 PM
> {quote:title=Andy Syms wrote:}{quote}
> Bruce McGee wrote:
>
> > No more outrageous posts by people who like to hide behind one or more
> > assumed names?
>
> You obviously haven't been to off-topic yet.  <vbg>

And Rudy started it all, of course. :)

(Actually, he started it in the Test forum, but then it really started getting out of control in the off-topic forum.)

--
Rick Carter
carterrk@despammed.com
> {quote:title=Richard Carter wrote:}{quote}
> And Rudy started it all, of course. :)
>
> (Actually, he started it in the Test forum, but then it really started getting out of control in the off-topic forum.)

Clarification: To the best of my memory, it started in the Test forum. But by now there are too many messages to wade through for me to confirm.  But then there was another chapter in the saga in the delphi-language-general forum.

--
Rick Carter
carterrk@despammed.com
John Kaster wrote:

> > In XanaNews you select some text, right click and choose 'Find
> > Selected Text on Internet' from the popup menu.
>
> Sounds like XN could use an update to search our search engine :)

Heh - well it's configurable in XanaNews, so you could set it yourself.
The snag is, the parameter is global, so you couldn't just make
Codegear the default search engine when in the Codegear groups :(

--
Colin
0
Richard Carter wrote:

> > {quote:title=Andy Syms wrote:}{quote}
> > Bruce McGee wrote:
> >
> > > No more outrageous posts by people who like to hide behind one or
> > > more assumed names?
> >
> > You obviously haven't been to off-topic yet.  <vbg>
>
> And Rudy started it all, of course. :)

I'm not so sure. Did I?

--
Rudy Velthuis        http://rvelthuis.de

"Quoting Coulter is kind of like quoting Joe McCarthy; no doubt
 it does well when you're pandering to a group of like-minded hate
 mongerers, but it earns you a well-deserved reputation as a
 vicious, mean-spirited airhead and intellecual lightweight in
 more analytical and dispassionate circles."
 -- Mark Vaughan in borland.public.off-topic
0
Rudy

Migrate Post office to New server after server migration
I need to migrate a slower NW51 server to a faster NW653 server. However, the older server is running GW652 and it needs to go to the new server. I am building the new server with the Pre-Migration option and then with the migration tool, have it take on the name and IP address of the older slower server. What do I do with the post office? I want to get it to the new server and upgrade it to GW 7. No idea how to ge the post office to the new server. Will the migration take care of that as well? Thanks Roger Provided the domain and PO directories are copied over by the Migwiz and ...

Install Post 6.5 sp3 Patches to Pre-migration server Before Migration
Hi all, I am doing an across the wire migration to new hardware. The older server is running NetWare 6.5 sp3 (+nw65os3a, n65nss3a, nici267, tcp659j). The new server is running a pre-migration install of NetWare 6.5 sp3 (with no extra patches). Can I install these four post sp3 patches on the pre-migration server so both servers are exactly the same? Is there any harm in doing this? Brian -- Brian T. Payne BS, CNA 5, Net+ Mount Vernon Nazarene University Mount Vernon, OH 43050 email: bpayne@mvnu.edu On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:37:18 GMT, "Brian Payne" <bpay...

server to server migration
I want to move an old server that is currently patched with NW6sp3 and BM3.7sp2 server to a new server. I don't believe the migration utility moves BM. What's the best method to migrate? This box has the certificate server, filters, SurfControl and WebAccess installed. Thanks. In article <RgATa.21575$2k7.18225@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > I don't believe the migration utility > moves BM. What's the best method to migrate? This box has the > certificate server, filters, SurfControl and WebAccess installed. Thanks. > Y...

server to server post ???
I'm not even sure if the title of my post is correct but here's what i'm trying to do. trying to via asp.net 2.0 code, send a request directly to a web site with a formatted querystring. how do i do this? I don't know about others, but I'll need a little more information - - normally a querystring would be something like:http://TheWebsite.com?id=myID It all depends on where it's coming from and exactly what you want to do.You can create a Hyperlink on a page (either HTML or ASP.Net) with a hard coded url/querystringYou can create an ASP.Net Hyperlink on a page,...

Post Migration Server Rename
I was just wondering what the implications and requirements would be if I were migrating a netware 5.1 server to a netware 6.5 server on new hardware, then renaming the original server and assigning it a new network number, then bring it back into production with a new identity as strictly a mail server. My reason for doing this is, we have groupwise 5.2 currently running on the netware 5.1 server. I need to keep groupwise 5.2 for the time being, as we have not purchased or made a final decision on upgrading our messaging. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comm...

Non-Tech Postings Rejected
Testing... Yesterday my posts to non-tech were being "rejected." -- Q 04/05/2012 09:16:20 XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278 [Q'sBrokenToolBar] Quentin, | Testing... | | Yesterday my posts to non-tech were being "rejected." It appears that only my replies are being rejected. -- Q 04/05/2012 09:19:30 XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278 [Q'sBrokenToolBar] Quentin, | | Testing... | | | | Yesterday my posts to non-tech were being "rejected." | | It appears that only my replies are being rejected. This reply w...

Pre-migration server build to be used as server w/o migration.
Built a server with NW 6.5.5 using the pre-migration server option. It has been decided that a migration will not take place, but instead a file copy to the server will be done. With this being said can the pre-migration server be used as a production server or is it missing something and will require a rebuild ? TIA Tim Tye wrote: > Built a server with NW 6.5.5 using the pre-migration server option. > It has been decided that a migration will not take place, but instead > a file copy to the server will be done. With this being said can the > pre-migration server ...

Problems between P.D. 9 and P. D. 10 saving models.
I'm the only person with 10 version of Power Designer. All my partners have 9 version. When I save our model with 10 version all the other people with 9 version can't open it. Power Designer says: " The model you wish to open has been saved with a more recent version (10.1.0.1134) than the one you are using(9.5.2.873). It's strongly recommended you update your version of the product. If you choose to open the model with this version, the integrity of the model is not guaranteed in the case that it opens successfully. In addition, the model will be opened in read-...

Server Alert Bell / Post Migration
Hello, after sucessfully migrated (*knock on wood*) one of our servers everything worked fine so far. But I'm missing one single thing. Our old server do beep sound everytime there was an error or when you have to change the tape etc. The new one don't make this sounds. I checked "Monitor" -> "Miscellaneous" -> "Sound Bell for Alerts" but it is "On". Are there any other settings to make our server "speak" again? Regards Mirko Checked the server BIOS to see if anything in there has been turned off ? Cheers Da...

source server is not the server that you are migrating?
I am migrating from 4.11 SP9 to a new 6.5 server and have installed all the patches and such. When I attempt to migrate or backup the trustees I get this message "The source server is not the server that you are migrating. Source server/path: \\\\\ Destination server/path: \\AIS2\SYS\SYS.MIG" My Source Server name is AIS The New Desination Server is AIS2 Thanks for any help! begin 666 index.1.jpg M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!``$`8 !@``#__@`?3$5!1"!496-H;F]L;V=I97,@26YC M+B!6,2XP,0#_VP"$``@&!@<&!0@'!P<*"0@*#18.#0P,#1L3%!...

Migrating Data from Server to Server
We need to move user data from one NW 6.5 sp1 server to another NW 6.5 sp1 server. When we copy the data from one server to the other we would like for all the NetWare rights to be the same. Is this possible? If your two servers are in the same NDS tree, the Server Consolidation Utility will move the volume/files and trustee assignments. If your two servers are in separate NDS trees, you'll need to capture the source trustee assignments (using TRUSTEE.NLM or TRUSTBAR.NLM), then modify the resulting text file to account for the separate NDS tree and user names, then apply t...

go go go
Name: catalin Product: Minefield Summary: go go go Comments: I like firefox Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2 x64; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061007 Minefield/3.0a1 ...

Server migration / Trouble server
Hello, I have some trouble with a NW6.5 SP5 server (named S1) and I'd like to replace it with another server. I also have a second server running Zenworks (named S2). Which is the best way to replace this "Troubleserver"? I think about installing a new server into the existing edirectory tree with another name (e.g. S3) and migrate all data from the old to the new server. So far so good, but what do I have to do with the Zenworks Server? All applications are on the S1 Server. When I migrate all data from S1 to S3 all the names of the paths are incorrect. Coul...

Server Migration and certificate server
Hi we run netware 6.5 SP7. I have done many server migrations over teh last few months but its now time to migrate the certificate server. Is there anything that I should be looking out for or does the migration wizard take care of it. Trying to prep before the day -- malcnoz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You should at least export the self-signed cert with private keys as a 'backup'. The steps, as well as if you have to recreate for any reason, can be found here: http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displa...

Web resources about - Are you going to migrate b.p.d historical posts to this server? - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Historical provinces of Finland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The historical provinces ( Finnish : historialliset maakunnat , singular historiallinen maakunta , Swedish : historiska landskap ) of Finland ...

Queensland man faces more historical sex charges
A far north Queensland man already facing more than 40 charges relating to historical sex offences has been accused of another 10 crimes.

Today's Economic History: Historical GDP for Early Modern China
**Daniel Little:** Historical GDP estimates for early modern China: "Li Bozhong is one of China's most influential economic historians... >...Li's ...

New-York Historical Society to Receive Time Inc.’s Archive, Chronicling the History of the 20
The New-York Historical Society is pleased to announce that Time Inc. is donating its colossal archive to New-York Historical Society&rsquo;s ...

IRS audit rates at a historical low
If you took liberties on your 2014 federal tax return, you picked a good year to do it, USA TODAY reports.

Historical Archive Found in Russian Birds' Nest
Although most of the papers are torn and ruined by bird beaks, it's still possible to read their contents.

5 Powerful Historical Documents of Albert Einstein
5 Powerful Historical Documents of Albert Einstein

Historical Review: Americans' Views on Refugees Coming to U.S.
Many U.S. political leaders expressed concern this week about the U.S. accepting refugees from Syria. Historical Gallup data show that Americans ...

Badass Historical Chemists: The Woman Behind Antoine Lavoisier
Antoine Lavoisier is deservedly considered one of the great chemists in history. We might not know of his experiments if it weren’t for his wife. ...

Historical Jesus Christ Never Existed? Jesus Myth Believers Are ‘Seriously Confused’ By Real History ...
... Christians are some of the most miserable people on the planet based upon Paul’s writings in the Bible. In recent years, the truth of the historical ...