Icons in ShellAPI32

Hej,

Is it possible to use and/or extract the icons in ShellAPI32 ?

/Richard
0
Richard
8/23/2008 6:56:42 PM
embarcadero.delphi.nativeapi 1236 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Richard Bibby wrote:
> Is it possible to use and/or extract the icons in ShellAPI32 ?

Sure. What are you having trouble with?

Note that there's no guarantee that anything you find there will still
be there after an update or an upgrade. Resource names, numbers, and
locations are not part of Microsoft's published interface.

--
Rob
0

I would just like to use the small help icon.

Can I extract it so I can use it in my app?

/Richard

"Rob Kennedy" <kennedyri+codegear@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard Bibby wrote:
>> Is it possible to use and/or extract the icons in ShellAPI32 ?
>
> Sure. What are you having trouble with?
>
> Note that there's no guarantee that anything you find there will still
> be there after an update or an upgrade. Resource names, numbers, and
> locations are not part of Microsoft's published interface.
>
> --
> Rob
0
Richard
8/23/2008 7:41:49 PM
Richard Bibby wrote:
> Hej,

In English, that's spelled with a Y, not a J.

> I would just like to use the small help icon.
>
> Can I extract it so I can use it in my app?

You certainly can. Any resource editor should be able to get it for you.
Or you can use ExtractIcon and TIcon to get it yourself.

Whether you _may_ is a question for a copyright lawyer. It's neither
your DLL nor your graphic, after all.

--
Rob
0
> {quote:title=Rob Kennedy wrote:}{quote}
> Whether you _may_ is a question for a copyright lawyer. It's neither
> your DLL nor your graphic, after all.

I'm not a lawyer, so this may be totally wrong, but trying to use common sense I figure the following could hold.

1. One extracts an icon from ShellApi into a file and uses that in a program that he makes for Linux. => illegal.

2. One extracts an icon from WinXP ShellApi into a file and uses that in program that runs on all versions from Win9x. => illegal when run on anything less than WinXP, legal when run on WinXP.

3. One extracts an icon at runtime from ShellApi and uses it in the running program. => legal.
But as you said, the icon may be a surprise.

Regards
Tom
0
Tom
8/24/2008 7:23:19 AM
> I would just like to use the small help icon.

In case you only require small icons give this free icon collection a
try: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

(don't forget to make a donation if you like the icons)

--
Jens Gruschel
http://www.pegtop.net
> {quote:title=Richard Bibby wrote:}{quote}
> Hej,
>
> Is it possible to use and/or extract the icons in ShellAPI32 ?
>
> /Richard
Hi
You can use this implementation to do the stuff

uses
  ShellAPI;

{$R *.dfm}
var ind:integer=23;
procedure TForm1.btnGetItClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  Icon.Handle:=ExtractIcon(HInstance,'shell32.dll',ind);
  inc(ind);
end;
0
Werewolf

Application Icon
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong... I've today been playing with the borderstyles for my main form, also the border icons (minimise, maximise etc). I've decided to change the application icon - as I do with most projects. I run/build/compile and unlike my other projects, it continues to use the delphi icon. My main form is bsSizeable, biSystemMenu, biMinimize, biMaximize, fsNormal and dmActiveForm. Despite this, I can delete the exe, erase it, but the new versions still won't include my selected icon - I use the same icon in another open project in...

Change icon after migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010
I have an old project I am moving to Delphi 2010. I have attempted to change the icon for this project by setting the Application icon in the Project Options. After building the project, the exe file shows the new icon. However, when I create a shortcut to my application, the icon is the old Delphi lightning bolt icon. I have tried to get rid of the old icon by completely deleting the RES file and letting Delphi create a new RES file but that didn't change anything. I know I am missing something but I can't seem to find it. Help! RG Robert Gutierrez wrote: > I have a...

Delphi
Dear All, Sorry to ask 2 questions in 24 hours! (I have just come back to using Delphi after a break and I am finding the 2009 version fanstastic! - Just installing 2010 also!) Does anyone know how to call windows to hide/show the Wireless Networking Tray icon in Windows XP from Delphi? Many Thanks Mark <Mark Williams> wrote in message news:178978@forums.codegear.com... > Does anyone know how to call windows to hide/show the > Wireless Networking Tray icon in Windows XP from Delphi? System Tray icons can only be shown/hidden by the apps that call Shell_Notify...

The Delphi 4 icon ...?
Anybody knows where I could download the famous Temple... ie Delphi IV's icon ? DH > {quote:title=David HAROUCHE wrote:}{quote} > Anybody knows where I could download the famous Temple... > > ie Delphi IV's icon ? > > DH I'll post the icons for Delphi 2 and 4 to .attachments. Here is an image of the Delphi 6 about box, which is actually the franklin Institute in Philadelphia: http://delphi.about.com/library/graphics/abg0113.gif A Google image search on "borland delphi" will turn up some more results you might like. -- Regards...

Delphi 2009 Icon
Day two using D2009 and only one new niggle: Why no new Icon? I want to be sure whether I'm starting D2007 or D2009 Old niggles ... lots of them still hanging on ... -- Ed. Ed Weatherup schrieb: > Day two using D2009 and only one new niggle: Why no new Icon? I want to be > sure whether I'm starting D2007 or D2009 > Your QC feature request number about this issue? ;-) Greetings Markus > Day two using D2009 and only one new niggle: Why no new Icon? I want to be > sure whether I'm starting D2007 or D2009 You can always change icon of ...

Delphi 2010 IDE icons
Under my components, most of the icons have corrupted to the generic building block icon (3 shapes) instead of the component's usual icon. Any fix for this? Thanks. Charles Collins wrote: > Under my components, most of the icons have corrupted to the generic > building block icon (3 shapes) instead of the component's usual icon. > > Any fix for this? I'm not sure if I understand the issue, anyway most icon props. don't show up for me if I start the IDE with switch -nocache. -- Arno Garrels Hello Arno, > Charles Collins wrote: > ...

re: The Delphi 4 icon ...?
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_17b10.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Delphi 2 and Delphi 4 icons as requested in .ide. -- Regards Bruce McGee Glooscap Software --JivePart=_17b10.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/bmp; name="Delphi4.bmp" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Delphi4.bmp" Qk02DAAAAAAAADYAAAAoAAAAIAAAACAAAAABABgAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2006 Component Icon Weirdness
Every now and then the component icons in project get hosed; not the pallet, just on the forms/datamodules. It usually happens after switching projects 3 or 4 times during a session. The component pallet images look fine, but when a component is placed on the form, it's the wrong image. Restarting Delphi straightens everything out, at least temporarily. Has anyone else come across this? Is there a fix other than exiting Delphi and restarting? TIA, -Steve- ...

Delphi XE design components icons
I have installed Delphi XE. Then I successfully installed "ZeosLib" components. All is working. However the icons/bitmaps of my "ZeosLib" components then disappeared from the IDE. Where are these loaded from? If I knew I could get them back. Kind Regards, Robert. Robert Gilland wrote: > I have installed Delphi XE. > > Then I successfully installed "ZeosLib" components. > All is working. > > However the icons/bitmaps of my "ZeosLib" components then disappeared > from the IDE. Where are these loaded fro...

How can I remove the delphi default icon?
Hello, is it possible (how) to remove the delphi default icon for my application to use the windows default exe icon depending on the OS version? I use Delphi 2007 and Delphi XE3. regards Mathias You mean : Menu-Project-Options-Application (tree node) ? Am 04.06.2014 15:13, schrieb Robert Triest: > You mean : Menu-Project-Options-Application (tree node) ? > Yes. ...

Icons in Delphi IDE have gone white..
Hi Guys, It seems that the unused/inactive icons in my D2007 IDE have gone white/blank but the shapes are still there. Any suggestions as to where to look or what to do to fix this? Regards & TIA, Ian -- ...

How to make icon for new component in delphi XE?.
Hello I have made some new component in Delphi XE, and i will like to also make some icon for this components. Is there some tutorial about this???. Best regards Sofus > {quote:title=Guest wrote:}{quote} > Hello > I have made some new component in Delphi XE, and i will like to also make some icon for this components. > Is there some tutorial about this???. Try posting your question in the VCL-Writing Components forum at https://forums.embarcadero.com/forum.jspa?forumID=96 In fact, you might try reading or searching the posts in that group; I know this quest...

Changing Icon in Systray using Delphi TTrayIcon
Hello, I have a small application with a trayicon. I can load another icon from the resource, no problem It's not refreshed in the systray. When I use TrayIcon1.Visible := False; TrayIcon1.Visible := True; then it works, but the icon jumps to another place then. Does anyone have a suggestion how to change the icon without moving it from it's place? Thanks in advance Herman First you need to create new TIcon. Then you just assign it "TrayIcon1.Icon := NewIcon;" and then free. "Herman vanRuitenbeek" <herman@re-tech.nl> wrote in messag...

Web resources about - Icons in ShellAPI32 - embarcadero.delphi.nativeapi