Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7

I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?
0
Ian

> {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?

The only thing I can think of is that the linkage between the source and DFM was lost.

Check the .PAS files (right below the implementation keyword) and make sure that you see {$R *.dfm}. This means "include the dfm with the same name as this source file as a resource", and it's what connects the two for the IDE.
0
Ken
7/29/2010 1:53:24 PM
> {quote:title=Ken White wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> > View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> > Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the linkage between the source and DFM was lost.
>
> Check the .PAS files (right below the implementation keyword) and make sure that you see {$R *.dfm}. This means "include the dfm with the same name as this source file as a resource", and it's what connects the two for the IDE.

Not the solution as this is present and correct in the *.pas files.
0
Ian
7/29/2010 10:15:18 PM
> {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?
Since then have inspected intalled components and ticked all boxes
Now on loading  D7 I get ehe messagte Accessd Violation in module dclstd70.bpl - after saying OK to that get Cannot load package dcl3lw70.bpl - after saying OK the IDE opens but still without access to any of the forms.
I now assume parts of the IDE are not loading *std* sounds like the standard package (whatever that is)
Any ideas on how to remedy this?
0
Ian
8/2/2010 2:44:07 AM
I'm using Delphi 7 under Windows 7 64-bit and have not had this problem.
  But I do find that certain things work better (registering COM apps,
for example) if I run Delphi 7 as administrator.

Have you tried that?

Have you tried running Delphi without any IDE add-ons or 3rd-party
components?  And you have all updates to both Delphi and Windows, right?

--
David Cornelius
Cornelius Concepts

On 7/28/2010 7:38 PM, Ian BASIRE wrote:
> I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?
0
David
8/2/2010 4:49:37 AM
> {quote:title=David Cornelius wrote:}{quote}
> I'm using Delphi 7 under Windows 7 64-bit and have not had this problem.
>   But I do find that certain things work better (registering COM apps,
> for example) if I run Delphi 7 as administrator.
>
> Have you tried that?
>
> Have you tried running Delphi without any IDE add-ons or 3rd-party
> components?  And you have all updates to both Delphi and Windows, right?
>
> --
> David Cornelius
> Cornelius Concepts
>
> On 7/28/2010 7:38 PM, Ian BASIRE wrote:
> > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> > View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> > Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?
0
Ian
8/8/2010 1:33:19 AM
> {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=David Cornelius wrote:}{quote}
> > I'm using Delphi 7 under Windows 7 64-bit and have not had this problem.
> >   But I do find that certain things work better (registering COM apps,
> > for example) if I run Delphi 7 as administrator.
> >
> > Have you tried that?
> >
> > Have you tried running Delphi without any IDE add-ons or 3rd-party
> > components?  And you have all updates to both Delphi and Windows, right?
> >
> > --
> > David Cornelius
> > Cornelius Concepts
> >
> > On 7/28/2010 7:38 PM, Ian BASIRE wrote:
> > > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> > > View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> > > Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?
0
Ian
8/8/2010 1:34:34 AM
Still no go
Ian
> {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> > > {quote:title=David Cornelius wrote:}{quote}
> > > I'm using Delphi 7 under Windows 7 64-bit and have not had this problem.
> > >   But I do find that certain things work better (registering COM apps,
> > > for example) if I run Delphi 7 as administrator.
> > >
> > > Have you tried that?
> > >
> > > Have you tried running Delphi without any IDE add-ons or 3rd-party
> > > components?  And you have all updates to both Delphi and Windows, right?
> > >
> > > --
> > > David Cornelius
> > > Cornelius Concepts

0
Ian
8/8/2010 1:38:20 AM
> {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote}
> I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7.  I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms.
> View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself.  Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties.
> Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying?

I have just been through this:

My D7/Win7 IDE was not displaying forms with F12 etc. The fix I eventually found after many false starts with Google was to run bin\D7RegClean as-admin, which cleans the registry out. Then run the installer again (as-admin to be on the safe side) and select "repair" install. It takes only moments and certainly fixed it. Of course, I then I needed to reinstall all those component packages and library and path settings again. "Oh well".

Other notes from my D7/Win7 install. The main trick is to install away from c:\program files\. Running in compat mode and with as-admin privileges just to be on the safe side.

In spite of that, I encountered the above, and these two other issues which luckily don't bite everyone:

a) BORdbk70.dll was missing. I put it in \bin manually and registered it with regsvr32.exe, .i.e. run cmd.exe as administrator, go to delphi7\bin and type regsvr32 bordbk70.dll

c) As I have an internal multi-card reader, a known-and-annoying Delphi 7 bug was causing "disk not present" errors all the time for any of the slots without a card in it. Tried moving drive letters around, but theonly successful way to fix it was to DISABLE unwanted or unpopulated slots in Device manager.
0
Peter

Web resources about - Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7 - embarcadero.delphi.install

The Windows Blog

Microsoft To Only Support New Processors On Windows 10
... support news out of Redmond is particularly surprising. Intel launched it’s 6 th generation Skylake cores back in August, and support on Windows ...

Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10
... die shot. (credit: Intel) If you own a system with an Intel 6th generation Core processor—more memorably known as Skylake—and run Windows 7 ...

Sophos Home: super-simple free antivirus for Windows and Mac
... then but the new Sophos Home has found a way. Simplicity. Back to basics. Let’s just say, minimalism taken to a whole new level. The Windows ...

Stop automatic Windows 10 upgrades without installing any extra software
It's a new year, but that doesn't mean Microsoft is giving up on converting all of its users to Windows 10 . In fact, the notifications are as ...

Microsoft's plan to get iOS apps on Windows is moving forward
Microsoft's plan to get iOS apps onto Windows, codenamed "Project Islandwood," is moving forward, according to a report from ZDNet . Project ...

Microsoft changes rules of Windows 10 upgrade game
Microsoft yesterday again changed the rules of its better-upgrade-to-Windows 10 game, announcing that some business PCs running the professional ...

Microsoft Changes Its Mind, Decides To Nag Business Customers To Upgrade To Windows 10 After All
If you’ve been using Windows 7 or 8 on your personal computer, you’re likely well aware of Microsoft’s recent nagging campaign to get people ...