Size of Delphi executable

How can Delphi executables be made smaller?  Consider the following.  Create a new VCL app.  Add a Label to the form.  Compile.  Sizes for the executable are as follows.

Delphi 5	                     298,496
XE3 Debug	10,911,711
XE3 Release	  2,283,520

Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here.  What is going on?  How can it be minimized?
0
Alan

Alan wrote:

> Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here.  What is going on?

This has been discussed over and over and over with every new version that
gets released.  Please search through past discussions for details.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Alan Goodale wrote:
> How can Delphi executables be made smaller?  Consider the following.  Create a new VCL app.  Add a Label to the form.  Compile.  Sizes for the executable are as follows.
>
> Delphi 5	                     298,496
> XE3 Debug	10,911,711
> XE3 Release	  2,283,520
>
> Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here.  What is going on?  How can it be minimized?

TDS information is included by default now.  Go to the project options and set
the tds to be in its own file.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
> {quote:title=Alan Goodale wrote:}{quote}
> How can it be minimized?

It can be hidden somewhat with a executable compressor.
Try http://upx.sf.net

upx --best --lzma $EXENAME

or if the .exe gives an error while decompressing in XE3:
upx --best --lzma --compress-exports=0 $EXENAME

Usually, gets the size into a third!
0
Paul
12/4/2013 11:03:47 AM
Hi

> Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here.  What is going on?  How can it be minimized?

Not unnecessary. There's a lot of new thing( IDE/VCL/RTL ). You are comparing an IDE from 1999 against 2013 one.
Lot's of thing have been added since. you might be able to reduce the size, but so far, the best way I found is using packages.
Take a look at this site http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/34323

Clément
0
Clement

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2010 executable size increase
I noticed that as I convert my code from D2007 to D2010 my executables are increasing in size by as much as 8 MB Yes this one was big to begin with but to jump from 22 MB to 30 MB is a bit too much. Is this normal? Is anyone else seeing this? Anything I can do or is this just progress live with it? Thanks "E C" <sundiskx@NoSpamhotpop.com> wrote in message news:188890@forums.codegear.com... >I noticed that as I convert my code from D2007 to D2010 my executables are >increasing in size by as much as 8 MB > Yes this one was big to begin with but to jump fr...

Can I safely install Turbo Delphi 2006 .NET on top of Delphi 2005 (Win 32)
I have a Delphi 2005 Win32 installation. When I originally installed it I had no need for the .NET Framework. Now I would like to learn the .NET framework. Going back to the Delphi 2005 install disk and trying to install the . NET Framework has not been succesful. Can I install the Turbo Delphi 2006 .NET Framework and have it co-exist nicely with my existing Delphi 2005 Win32 system? Thank you. ...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

No Delphi installed
I hold a 2010 C++ Builder license [since bcb2004] which is called "Rad Studio"...but apparently I do not have Delphi 2010...can I download it and install it...if so is there a license number that is different from bcb 2010??? charles leggette wrote: >I hold a 2010 C++ Builder license [since bcb2004] Not sure what you mean by "bcb2004". I believe that the latest product in 2004 was CBX, but it is hard to believe that you started with that - it was the first release of the cross-platform IDE that was rebranded as CBuilder 2005 before being dropped by Borl...

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Executable size grows drastically in XE5 comparing with Delphi 2006
I have simple project (edt fields, check boxes, button). I compiled project in Delphi XE5 and found out that exe size grows 2.5 times! Sizes on the disk: Delphi 2006 - 868 KB (888,832 bytes) Delphi XE5 - 1.98 MB (2,084,864 bytes) Can anybody give me explanation why it grows so much? Thanks in advance, Fred Fred Fonar wrote: > I have simple project (edt fields, check boxes, button). I compiled project in Delphi XE5 and found out that exe size grows 2.5 times! > > Sizes on the disk: > Delphi 2006 - 868 KB (888,832 bytes) > Delphi XE5 - 1.98 MB (2,084,864 byt...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Web resources about - Size of Delphi executable - embarcadero.delphi.install

Executable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... . However, in a more general sense, a file containing instructions (such as bytecode ) for a software interpreter may also be considered executable ...

The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata [29c3] - YouTube
The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata The Executable and Linkable Format (ELF) is omnipresent; related OS and library ...

Agile Test Case Management – Specifications and Executable Specifications
... from the first three posts in this series and we’re well into realm of dangerous with Specification and their automated compatriots, Executable ...

Should You Recompile Your Software as a 64-Bit Executable?
Describes the 64-bit features available in OS X. As a general rule, in OS X v10.7 and later, the answer is probably yes. A 64-bit executable ...

For a year, gang operating rogue Tor node infected Windows executables
... Tor exit node. F-Secure Three weeks ago, a security researcher uncovered a Tor exit node that added malware to uncompressed Windows executables ...

Easily create icons from images or executables
... There is an easy solution to this problem, though, and it’s called Quick Any2Ico . Point this compact free program at an image or executable ...

Analysis Nirvana Via Stripped Executables and Binaries?
CodeSonar for binaries identifies security vulnerabilities in third-party executables

AMD’s GPU performance under Linux can be boosted by renaming certain executables
A new report claims that CS:Go players with AMD Radeon GPUs on Linux can boost performance significantly by renaming files.

Patent US5432937 - Method and apparatus for architecture independent executable files - Google Patents ...
The present invention is a method that enables single release of applications for multiple architectures and operating systems and to provide ...

pefile - pefile is a Python module to read and work with PE (Portable Executable) files - Google Project ...
pefile is a multi-platform Python module to read and work with Portable Executable (aka PE) files . Most of the information in the PE Header ...