Installed Delphi 2010 update 4, but About box shows update 1. Did I update? [Edit]

I ran the Delphi 2010 Update 4 from the start menu's Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates.

It seemed to go fine.

Afterward, my copy of Delphi 2010 is still showing it has Update 1 in the About window. I tried rebooting, but it still shows Update 1.

I'm running Windows Vista, with a Standard User account.

How can I tell if the update really occurred?

When I go to Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates now, it doesn't show Update 4 as an option any more.

Edited by: Chris Irwin on Dec 15, 2009 9:00 AM
0
Chris
12/15/2009 4:01:25 PM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.install
📃 1244 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1472 Views

> {quote:title=Chris Irwin wrote:}{quote}
> I ran the Delphi 2010 Update 4 from the start menu's Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates.
>
> It seemed to go fine.
>
> Afterward, my copy of Delphi 2010 is still showing it has Update 1 in the About window. I tried rebooting, but it still shows Update 1.

It should show updates 4 and 5 if everything worked (at least mine does).

> I'm running Windows Vista, with a Standard User account.

There's your problem. You shouldn't run *any* setup or installer as a Standard User. They *always* require elevated privileges.

> How can I tell if the update really occurred?

It didn't, if you're still showing Update 1 only.

> When I go to Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates now, it doesn't show Update 4 as an option any more.

Download it from the registered user page, and install it according to the instructions in the readme file that is included in the zip file.
0
Ken
12/15/2009 6:07:51 PM
> {quote:title=Ken White wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Chris Irwin wrote:}{quote}
> > I ran the Delphi 2010 Update 4 from the start menu's Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates.
> >
> > I'm running Windows Vista, with a Standard User account.
>
> There's your problem. You shouldn't run *any* setup or installer as a Standard User. They *always* require elevated privileges.

My understanding is different. If you're running as a Standard user and start a setup file, Windows automatically displays a password dialog to switch the user over to an Administrator account during the installation period. It's no big deal.

Microsoft strongly encourages everyone to run their day-to-day computer activities as a Standard user. So I always assume that my customers are doing that when they start to install my programs, and I have written my installation routines to accommodate it.

I know that my programs are going to be installed via an Admin account that is probably not the user's normal User Account. So during the setup routine, I create the necessary program folders (under c:\program files\whatever) and install the basic program files, but I don't do anything specific to the current User Account.

Then when the user starts my program for the first time, Windows has already automatically switched them back to their regular User Account, so that's the time when I create the ini files and settings that are tied to their normal User Account.

With Windows Vista and 7, I think that's the way a well-designed installation routine should operate.

> Download it from the registered user page, and install it according to the instructions in the readme file that is included in the zip file.

I'll try that to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks.
0
Chris
12/15/2009 7:45:49 PM
In case anybody's reading this thread, here's an update.

I followed the suggestions and upgraded my user account from Standard to Manager, then re-ran update 4 after downloading its setup file.

The result was the same as my first attempt...everything appeared to install/upgrade, but the About window in Delphi still shows Update 1, not Update 4.

However, I checked the list of bug fixes for Update 4, and tested three or four of them, and they all appear to be in place. So I do have Update 4 installed, but Delphi's About Window does not know it.

I hope that won't cause problems in the future with upgrades. For example, if Update 6 requires Update 4 to be in place.
0
Chris
12/17/2009 5:04:41 PM
On 2009-12-17 12:04 PM, Chris Irwin wrote:

> I hope that won't cause problems in the future with upgrades. For example, if Update 6 requires Update 4 to be in place.

When update "6" comes out, if there ever is one, there will be a new DVD
downloadable for registered users. I would just clean your machine
(uninstall, backup your registry settings like installed packages) and
then reinstall from the full install DVD for whatever update is next.

Warren