First use of XE7, "Delphi Package Output Directory", "path is too long"

I have been using Delphi 2010, and also had XE2 installed (but never used it).  Yesterday I purchased the Delphi XE7 update, and installed it.  Upon first launch, I got this dialog:

{code}
Warning [window title]

Your current Delphi Package Output Directory is not part of your system path. In order to use runtime packages that are built into this directory, this directory needs to be on your path. However, it appears that your current system path is too long. Please manually edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include this directory.

Directory to be added: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\ Studio\15.0\Bpl

Current path: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win32_togo;
c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win64_togo;C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;\Bpl

[checkbox checked]: Always perform this check on startup
{code}

I really don't know what this is attempting to say or what I am supposed to do!  Where does it want me to go, to edit what where?

This is frustrating in that my existing Delphi installation worked fine, and this is the message upon first launch of XE7 after instillation.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions!
0
Kevin

Den 01.10.2014 18:09, skrev Kevin Killion:
> I have been using Delphi 2010, and also had XE2 installed (but never used it).  Yesterday I purchased the Delphi XE7 update, and installed it.  Upon first launch, I got this dialog:
>
> {code}
> Warning [window title]
>
> Your current Delphi Package Output Directory is not part of your system path. In order to use runtime packages that are built into this directory, this directory needs to be on your path. However, it appears that your current system path is too long. Please manually edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include this directory.
>
> Directory to be added: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\15.0\Bpl
>
> Current path: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win32_togo;
> c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win64_togo;C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;\Bpl
>
> [checkbox checked]: Always perform this check on startup
> {code}
>

> I really don't know what this is attempting to say or what I am supposed to do!  Where does it want me to go, to edit what where?
>
> This is frustrating in that my existing Delphi installation worked fine, and this is the message upon first launch of XE7 after instillation.
>
> Many thanks in advance for suggestions!

If XE7 is like XE2...

Open menu item Tools|Options, and under "Environment Options"|"Delphi
options"|Library you will see entries for paths - maybe "Browsing path"
is the interesting one.
As it is now, it may contain a few entries that is irrelevant to XE7.
Remove some of those, and add the one mentioned in the message.

Start with saving the original contents...

--
Aage J.
0

Control Panel
System
Click Advanced system settings
Click Environment variables button

You should be able to take it from there.

Knowledge about how paths and environment variables work is quite useful
information to know. It can easily be Googled.

Kevin Killion wrote:
> I really don't know what this is attempting to say or what I am supposed to do!  Where does it want me to go, to edit what where?
0
quinn
10/2/2014 6:25:52 PM
> {quote:title=Kevin Killion wrote:}{quote}
> I have been using Delphi 2010, and also had XE2 installed (but never used it).  Yesterday I purchased the Delphi XE7 update, and installed it.  Upon first launch, I got this dialog:
>
> {code}
> Warning [window title]
>
> Your current Delphi Package Output Directory is not part of your system path. In order to use runtime packages that are built into this directory, this directory needs to be on your path. However, it appears that your current system path is too long. Please manually edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include this directory.
>
> Directory to be added: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\ Studio\15.0\Bpl
>
> Current path: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win32_togo;
> c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win64_togo;C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;\Bpl
>
> [checkbox checked]: Always perform this check on startup
> {code}
>

> I really don't know what this is attempting to say or what I am supposed to do!  Where does it want me to go, to edit what where?
>
> This is frustrating in that my existing Delphi installation worked fine, and this is the message upon first launch of XE7 after instillation.
>
> Many thanks in advance for suggestions!

I'm seeing this to. Does Delphi have to mess with the System path? Being told to just go tweak environment variables is akin to being told to go mess with the registry. It just seems sloppy and I don't get why it would be part of normal Delphi install.
0
Michael
12/24/2014 6:53:53 PM
> {quote:title=quinn wildman wrote:}{quote}
> To edit your path do this:
>
> Control Panel
> System
> Click Advanced system settings
> Click Environment variables button
>
> You should be able to take it from there.

I would.... but the path to the advanced system settings is broken :(  I know how to work around it but this shouldn't be expected.
0
Michael
12/24/2014 6:57:12 PM
Michael,

"| | ...it appears that your current system path is too long. Please
manually
 | |  edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include
this
 | |  directory."

| It just seems sloppy and I don't get why it would be part of normal
| Delphi install.

Seriously, I really don't think it's possible for the installer to know
which items in your "too-long" path could be removed.  <g>

1.19.1.372  (Q's Broken Toolbar.)
0
Quentin
12/24/2014 7:33:25 PM
> {quote:title=Quentin Correll wrote:}{quote}
>
> Seriously, I really don't think it's possible for the installer to know
> which items in your "too-long" path could be removed.  <g>

That makes sense. The part I don't get is why it's needed at all. This is coming from someone who has only been using Delphi a few years so I'm just comparing it to other languages.. and so far no other languages that I've used have needed to to this.
0
Michael

Packages to install to use "mkuser" and "passwd" or "pwdadm" commands
Hello everybody, can anyone suggest me what packages do I have to install to use user admin commands stated in Subject? Hope to hear from you soon, Paolo De Nictolis Paolo, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com...

"Using" or "With"

Using "+" or "||"

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

"OUTPUT TO" Statement in "IF"
Hi All, I'm trying to execute the following statements: IF Condition THEN SELECT col FROM tbl; OUTPUT TO 'filename'; ELSE statements... END IF This gave me an error at 'SELECT' Can anyone tell me what is the correct approach? Thanks Stelios Stylianou > Hi All, > > I'm trying to execute the following statements: > IF Condition THEN > SELECT col FROM tbl; > OUTPUT TO 'filename'; > ELSE > statements... > END IF > > This gave me an error at 'SE...

"Me" is better than "You"

replace the "." with a ","

Replacing "\\" with "\"

double quote

"To" and "From" missing

Web resources about - First use of XE7, "Delphi Package Output Directory", "path is too long" - embarcadero.delphi.install