Delphi 7 won't run on Windows 7

I am building a new computer with windows 7.  I downloaded the enterprise update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7.  It seemed to install ok but when I start the program I get 2 errors - the first says that D7 is not compatible with Windows 7, I ignore that and then I get an error saying it can't rename delphi32.$$$ to delphi32.dro.  What gives here?
0
Robert

"Robert J. Reiley" wrote on Thu, 7 Jan 2010 07:48:34 -0800:

> I am building a new computer with windows 7.  I downloaded the enterprise update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7.  It seemed to install ok but when I start the program I get 2 errors - the first says that D7 is not compatible with Windows 7, I ignore that and then I get an error saying it can't rename delphi32.$$$ to delphi32.dro.  What gives here?

I don't have an answer to your last question, but one possible
solution is to use the Windows XP Mode on Windows 7, which avoids all
of the compatibility issues with obsolete software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

IMO, a better solution is probably to upgrade to D2010, which works
fine with Windows 7. YMMV.

--
Better Web Sites Sell More Software: http://www.vexelfire.com

Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC
http://www.studylamp.com
0
Brandon
1/7/2010 4:28:02 PM
Robert J. Reiley wrote:

> I am building a new computer with windows 7.  I downloaded the enterprise
> update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7.  It seemed to install ok
> but when I start the program I get 2 errors - the first says that D7 is not
> compatible with Windows 7, I ignore that and then I get an error saying it
> can't rename delphi32.$$$ to delphi32.dro.  What gives here?

Delphi 7 saves stuff in program files, which is not allowed on Windows 7. Just
set the permissions to full access for everyone on the Delphi folder in program
files.

Jan Derk
0
Jan
1/7/2010 8:05:40 PM
> {quote:title=Robert J. Reiley wrote:}{quote}
> I am building a new computer with windows 7.  I downloaded the enterprise update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7.  It seemed to install ok but when I start the program I get 2 errors - the first says that D7 is not compatible with Windows 7, I ignore that and then I get an error saying it can't rename delphi32.$$$ to delphi32.dro.  What gives here?

Setting the permissions resoved the 2nd problem.  I haven't tried the virtualization yet.
0
Robert
1/7/2010 10:53:00 PM
Robert J. Reiley wrote:

> Setting the permissions resoved the 2nd problem.  I haven't tried the
> virtualization yet.

Just a guess: Maybe you can get rid of the Windows 7 error by right clicking
the Delphi Icon and set the Compatability mode to XP.

Jan Derk
0
Jan
1/7/2010 11:53:25 PM
when i am trying to hit save or open button from menu in delphi 7 my Delphi exe get closed ,
so i am not able to open or save any file. it is useless please suggest me an answer.
i use windows 7 Home Premium x64
0
hardik
1/25/2010 5:03:56 AM
I am running Delphi 7 just fine under Windows 7 professional x64.
I installed delphi to C:\Delphi7 folder and just started using it. No problems what so ever.

> {quote:title=Robert J. Reiley wrote:}{quote}
> I am building a new computer with windows 7.  I downloaded the enterprise update to D7 that is susposed to run on WIndows 7.  It seemed to install ok but when I start the program I get 2 errors - the first says that D7 is not compatible with Windows 7, I ignore that and then I get an error saying it can't rename delphi32.$$$ to delphi32.dro.  What gives here?
0
Jani
1/25/2010 7:44:35 AM
> {quote:title=Jan Derk wrote:}{quote}
> Delphi 7 saves stuff in program files, which is not allowed on Windows 7. Just
> set the permissions to full access for everyone on the Delphi folder in program
> files.

Don't do this! It's  the wrong solution, as is using XP compatibility mode. It's a hack, and breaks the advantages of improved security under Windows Vista and up. It's the same thing as running always as root on *nix - the absolute wrong thing to do.

Reinstall Delphi 7 in a location that is not beneath Program Files, and then give access to that new folder tree. That solves the read/write problems and the File|Open and File|Save issues as well.
0
Ken
1/25/2010 2:49:40 PM
> {quote:title=hardik kanthariya wrote:}{quote}
> when i am trying to hit save or open button from menu in delphi 7 my Delphi exe get closed ,
> so i am not able to open or save any file. it is useless please suggest me an answer.
> i use windows 7 Home Premium x64

Install Delphi somewhere away from C:\Program Files, and everything should work fine. Grant access to the new folder tree where you install to everyone, and you won't have any problems with the File/Save or File/Open dialogs.
0
Ken
1/25/2010 2:51:04 PM
Ken White wrote:

> > Delphi 7 saves stuff in program files, which is not allowed on Windows 7.
> > Just set the permissions to full access for everyone on the Delphi folder
> > in program files.

> Don't do this! It's  the wrong solution, as is using XP compatibility mode.
> It's a hack, and breaks the advantages of improved security under Windows
> Vista and up. It's the same thing as running always as root on *nix - the
> absolute wrong thing to do.

Yes it is a hack. It works. And it allows the bad guys to edit files in:

C:\Program Files\Delphi folder

which is less secure.

However it is exactly as insecure as your proposal to put Delphi in another
folder with write access, like C:\Delphi.

> Reinstall Delphi 7 in a location that is not beneath Program Files, and then
> give access to that new folder tree.

In both cases a virus can modify the delphi exe.

Jan Derk
0
Jan
1/25/2010 3:39:24 PM
> {quote:title=Jan Derk wrote:}{quote}
> Yes it is a hack. It works. And it allows the bad guys to edit files in:
>
> C:\Program Files\Delphi folder
>
> which is less secure.

Not the point. The point is that it allows someone *other than the administrator* to write access to the Program Files folder tree. The whole idea of making it so that non-administrative users can *not* write to the Program Files folder and it's subfolders is compromised. It also starts a bad habit by establishing a precedent - "Oh, I remember! I had a problem with Delphi, and it was solved by giving write access to that folder under Program Files. I can do it for this program, too." And then pretty soon,
 it's more like, "Crap! Another program that doesn't want to work right in the Program Files tree. I could fix it like the others and change access rights to that new directory. Wait a minute... I keep having to do this for almost every program. Why don't I just change the WHOLE Program Files folder to give everybody read/write access? That would keep me from having to do this all the time!"

It's much better to do things the right way (and to teach others to fix things the right way) than it is to hack your way around. Much safer for the system now and much easier to move forward in the future.

> However it is exactly as insecure as your proposal to put Delphi in another
> folder with write access, like C:\Delphi.

Yes, which is fine. It's an area that can't possibly affect anything else other than that folder tree, unless you're foolish and put sensitive information within that tree.

> In both cases a virus can modify the delphi exe.

Not the point, again. Even if the virus modifies the Delphi exe, it's doing so in a protected location that doesn't have administrative access, or other programs or system-related files in it.

How have you possibly missed the discussions of basic Windows security that everyone even remotely related to programming have been having since Vista was released? (And, to a lesser extent, even before that when XP was released and MS started to encourage use of non-administrative accounts for daily use.)
0
Ken
1/25/2010 5:03:44 PM
Ken White wrote:

> How have you possibly missed the discussions of basic Windows security that
> everyone even remotely related to programming have been having since Vista
> was released?

And I thought I was blunt :)

You are making a big issue about how insecure it is to loosen permissions on
the Delphi 7 folder (and rightly so if one wants top security). After which you
recommend to do just that on another folder. That might trick some readers into
thinking that what you are recommending is safe.

To me it seems rather obvious that visitors of the Delphi newsgroups understand
the impact of messing with permissions, which is why I didn't add a warning.
Everyone, except you perhaps (hah, got my own blunt remark in ;) understands
that if paranoid security is required one should not run Delphi 7 on Vista or
W7, because it does not stick to the Windows Vista/7 rules.

Jan Derk
0
Jan

Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit]
I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition. Since four days Delphi will not start anymore. When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds. No error or warning message is given. I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution: - start delphi in comptability mode - start delphi as administrator - give full right on the installation directory of delphi - disable UAC - restore windows to the previous restore point None of ...

DelphiSPeedup for Delphi 2006 wn't install on Windows 7 .-(
Moving Delphi development from my old XP laptop to my new Windows 7 based laptop, I got problem setting up Andreas Hausladen's DelphiSpeedup for Delphi 2006. Registration of it gives error Cannot register DelphiSpeedupLoader.bpl (The file mentioned in folder is named DelphiSpeedupLoader10.bpl so no wonder the registration fails.) Is there an error in installer trying to register wrong file? The file trying to be installed was just downloaded from Hausladen's homepage. On 18.01.2013 12:30, Alf Christophersen wrote: > Moving Delphi development from my old X...

Can't install Delphi 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit machine?
I tried it and it fails. It says to try to install dbpack_setup.exe and that fails too. When it fails, it says: >This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows >Installer package. Please check your settings and try again. I successfully installed this on another Vista machine. Prism with Silverlight died on that machine so we got a new Win 7 64 bit machine and I'm not trying to set things up on the new machine. I first installed the Prism stuff and got it all working on the new machine. I didn't ...

Unofficial Delphi 7 updates
Anybody noticed, even tried this Enhanced Run Time library for Delphi ? It's a hack of the D7 RTL/VCL http://blog.synopse.info/post/2009/12/20/Enhanced-Run-Time-library-for-Delphi-7 It's very interesting and I'd like to know it's stability. Edwin Ye wrote: > Anybody noticed, even tried this Enhanced Run Time library for Delphi > ? It's a hack of the D7 RTL/VCL This library violates Delphi's license (redistributing of RTL/VCL source files is not allowed). The last post was deleted and I'm sure this one will be deleted, too. -- Andreas H...

Windows 7 ... Delphi 7
The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! Me too, from what I've heard so far. They are releasing it as a public beta tommorrow (the first 2.5 million in line only): Windows 7 page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx How to Get in on th...

Can't Register Delphi 7 from Win 7
I recently bought Delphi 2010 Prof. edition and took advantage of getting a free copy of Delphi 7 Prof., which I would now like to use on my Win 7 machine. However I can't get past the Registration Dialog! When I start it up (in win xp compat. mode), I'm prompted to perform the registration, which I do and am told it was successful, but when the Wizard closes, I'm put back to the Registration dialog again! Any ideas on how to work around this??? James OK, so I installed it now on virtual machine (Win XP) within Win 7 and that went fine! The difference is that in the the XP...

Does Delphi 2006 install and run on Windows 7?
I use Delphi 2006, and am thinking of getting a new HP notebook. (I bought Dephi 2009, but don't use it, since my apps don't compile/run as the strings are all screwed up, with the move to 2 byte UTF16 strings) Does Delphi 2006 install and run OK on Windows 7? It looks likey they are pre-installng 64 bit Windows 7 on most of their PC's. I'm assuming that 64-bit Windows 7 won't work with Delphi 2006, and I'll need to install 32 bit Windows 7 - is that correct? It will probably work for the mere fact that 32 bit applications work on 64 bit OS's. However, it ...

Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.
Hello, I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this error, or is it even possible? Thank you very much in advance. John Shyer John Shyer wrote: >Hello, > >I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep >getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files >(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to '...

Windows 7 isn't Windows 7?
Looks like Windows 7 is actually Windows version 6.1? What the heck? -- Joe With great power comes great responsibility. jmarton;1939109 Wrote: > Looks like Windows 7 is actually Windows version 6.1? What the heck? > > > > -- > Joe > With great power comes great responsibility. Yup, someone could probably sue MS for false marketing :) Thomas -- http://thsundel.blogspot.com/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128 View this threa...

Delphi7 won't install on Windows 7?
I just tried to install my old and trusted Delphi7 on a new Windows 7 Ultimate x86 PC (VMWare virtual machine) in order to update my dev environment from XP-Pro.... But Windows would not let me run the installer, claiming that Delphi7 has compatibility problems with Windows7. But of course it failed to mention exactly what kind of compatibility problems there were! Instead it referred to Borland for a solution, but then Borland is no longer around... Is there anyone here who has managed to get this going? And, will I have better success if I install BDS2006 instead (I have that ...

Client2IR1a won't install on Windows 7 Pro
The install routine keeps asking for a file that is actually there but it won't accept it. I keep browsing to select it but it won't take it. I finally hit Cancel and it says there's a fatal installation error. I rebooted and it just comes back to the windows logon. The file is i386\authentication\nccredlogonext.dll I've turned off Windows Firewall. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Betsy -- betsyhorn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Love it when I answer my own posts. I had to copy the i386 folder ...

Reinstall Delphi 7 on Windows 7?
My projects work fine in Delphi 7 on my old XP machine so the problems I am now experiencing under Windows 7 must be due to the Delphi set-up in Windows 7. I have attempted to reinstall this - after entering my serial number and authorization code the installer bombs out with the error "1311 file not found C:\Program Files\Borland\DELPHI~1.cab ...." certainly this file does not exist but nor does it exist on the XP machine. I downloaded the original Delphi from the old Borland site which is now not avai lable. Does anyone know what this *.cab file is all about or how I can get new...

Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7
I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms. View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself. Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties. Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying? > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote} > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I h...

Delphi 7 + Windows 7 = No Help
Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this problem yet? Delphi 7 uses winhelp for it's help system and Windows 7 does not include winhelp. The problem: Although Vista has a winhelp download, Windows 7 does not, and the Vista winhelp download will not install on Windows 7. The solution: Waiting to find out. Anthony Walter wrote: > The solution: Waiting to find out. It was released about a half an hour ago for download... :-) http://tinyurl.com/yz6s397 Mark > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote} > Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this pro...

Web resources about - Delphi 7 won't run on Windows 7 - embarcadero.delphi.install