Windows 7 and Delphi 7, 32 or 64 bit?

I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
My question now is:
Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.

I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....

Bo Berglund
0
Bo

In article <272330@forums.embarcadero.com>, Bo Berglund <> says...

> I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
> I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
> My question now is:
> Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
> This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.
>
> I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....
>
> Bo Berglund

Bo,
I have tried Delphi 7 on Win 7 x64 and have not had any problems; but I
have not test every thing.

--
Jon.
0
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
> I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
> My question now is:
> Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
> This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bits OS with Delphi 7. It works like a charm.

Here are some tips:
1. Install not in "C:\Program Files" nor "C:\Program Files (x86)" but in another folder - I use C:\Progs ("Program Files" folders are virtual directories, so you can't write under those with normal user rights by default)
2. Install WinHlp32 from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=166421
3. It's a good idea to install DDevExtensions at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=10 and DelphiSpeedUp at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=8

Another possibility, which may be used without any problem, is to use Windows XP compatibility mode.

> I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....

As far as I found out on my PC, there is an issue with Delphi 2007/2009 debugger (which can be fixed by http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27521).
But I didn't have any problem with Delphi 7 debugger under Windows 7 x64.
0
Arnaud
8/12/2010 7:09:44 AM
I can also confirm that Windows 7 x64 and Delphi 7 are working without problems. I support Arnoud's suggestions. In my case I have installed Delphi in %Windows%\Program Files (x86) and had to make some modifications to that directory. See the description for that in  http://weblog.hansotten.com/?p=833

Christian
0
Christian
8/12/2010 12:37:32 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:09:44 -0700, Arnaud BOUCHEZ <> wrote:

>> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
>> I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
>> I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
>> My question now is:
>> Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
>> This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.
>
>I'm using Windows 7 64 bits OS with Delphi 7. It works like a charm.
>
>Here are some tips:
>1. Install not in "C:\Program Files" nor "C:\Program Files (x86)" but in another folder - I use C:\Progs ("Program Files" folders are virtual directories, so you can't write under those with normal user rights by default)

I am usually nowadays installing software in a different tree from
"Program Files" for much the same reasons as you list, plus the fact
tha i do not like paths with embedded whitespace, so I remove that as
well.

>2. Install WinHlp32 from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=166421

Didn't think about that one....

>3. It's a good idea to install DDevExtensions at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=10 and DelphiSpeedUp at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=8

Will have a look, did not know about these.

>Another possibility, which may be used without any problem, is to use Windows XP compatibility mode.

Well, I do use virtualization a lot, but then I would surely use
VMWare Workstation 7 instead of the "integrated" XP-Mode. In fact I
already have a few dev machines as virtuals. But I did not want my
main dev tool to be virtualized unless that is the last resort.

>> I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....
>
>As far as I found out on my PC, there is an issue with Delphi 2007/2009 debugger (which can be fixed by http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27521).
>But I didn't have any problem with Delphi 7 debugger under Windows 7 x64.

Thanks for the input!
I am actually using GExperts plug-in to my Delphi, but if D7 itself
works I have no worry that GExperts will have problems. :-)

I did not think about the help issue, though, good to be reminded. I
know that MS has abandoned WinHelp in favor of CHM help, but I did not
think about it just now. Good that there is a solution!

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
<bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote:

I'm back again...
Now I haver my new laptop with Win7 Pro X64 and as soon as I started
to install Delphi7 Win7 barfed up a dialog box telling me that there
are "known issues" with Delphi 7 and that it was incompatible with
Win7. So I exited the setup--- :(

What can I do in order to actually install? And what are the
incompatibilities really?
I usually install these kinds of programs in a folder structure
starting at C:\Programs rather than C:\Program Files.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:39:41 -0700, Bo Berglund
> <bo.berglund@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> I'm back again...
> Now I haver my new laptop with Win7 Pro X64 and as soon as I started
> to install Delphi7 Win7 barfed up a dialog box telling me that there
> are "known issues" with Delphi 7 and that it was incompatible with
> Win7. So I exited the setup--- :(
>
> What can I do in order to actually install? And what are the
> incompatibilities really?
> I usually install these kinds of programs in a folder structure
> starting at C:\Programs rather than C:\Program Files.

Ignore the warning and continue with installation. Warning is there just
to let you know that there might be issues, but as long as you don't install
it into C:\Program Files you should be fine.

Dalija Prasnikar
0
Dalija

Occasional errors with 32-bit Delphi 7 application on Windows 7 64-bit
Hi, I have a 32-bit Delphi 7 application which was deployed on some machines with Windows 7 64-bit. The application occasionally displays errors such as: "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" or "Error reading Label24.Font.Ch: Property Ch does not exist" (here the name "Charset" was apparently truncated to "Ch") I checked how those properties are declared on the form where the errors occurred, and all seems ok: - First form (where "Error reading ppDBText37.Border.Color: Invalid property value" occurs): ...

Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.
Hello, I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ". How do I get around this error, or is it even possible? Thank you very much in advance. John Shyer John Shyer wrote: >Hello, > >I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep >getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files >(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to '...

Delphi 2006 in Windows 7 32 bit / Windows Server 2008
Hi All, I need to install Delphi 2006 IDE in my new windows 2007 system. Could you please advise me whether Delphi 2006 will be supported in Windows 7 / Server 2008. If 2006 version is not supported please advise from which version onwards will be supported in Windows 7 / windows server 2008. Many thanks. Thanks Windows 7/ 2008 did not exist when Delphi 2006 was released, so this combination is untested. Most likely, if you follow these guidelines: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42598 it will work with current OS's. If you want something we stand behind, you ...

Windows 7 ... Delphi 7
The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! Me too, from what I've heard so far. They are releasing it as a public beta tommorrow (the first 2.5 million in line only): Windows 7 page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx How to Get in on th...

Windows 7 - 64 bits
Hello! I know that this is probably not a Delphi issue, but I ask, just in case... perhaps someone had a similar problem... I use D2007, Firebird 2.5 and IBX components, and ClientDatasets (I know IBX doesn't support FB, but I just use it in a very simple way, so there's no problem with that - I think) A customer of mine has this problem: Using Windows 7 64 bits, when he deletes a record in a table the PC hungs completely. The mouse, the keyboard... everything. He has to turn the PC off. I'm sorry I have not more details about the problem. The question is: is t...

Delphi 4 and later on Window-7/64-bit
Folks, I have to install Delphi 4, 5, 2007 and 2009 on Windows-7, 64-bit. I'm aware of the need to install outside the \Program Files\ directory (but including the "common" files or not?), but I do wonder whether any of these versions may include a 16-bit installer, which doesn't run under Windows-64? Thanks for any other advice. David > {quote:title=David Taylor wrote:}{quote} > I have to install Delphi 4, 5, 2007 and 2009 on Windows-7, 64-bit. I'm > aware of the need to install outside the \Program Files\ directory (but > including th...

How to install Delphi 4 on Windows 7 (32-bit) OS?
How to install Delphi 4 on Windows 7 (32-bit) OS? -- Thanks, Nilesh (Delphi Developer) > How to install Delphi 4 on Windows 7 (32-bit) OS? > > -- > Thanks, > Nilesh (Delphi Developer) Exactly the same as any other OS! I recommend installing to: C:\Tools\Delphi4 where C:\Tools\ has been created with a security setting of Everyone, Full control. This assumes you are the only user of that PC. This works on my Windows-7/64 system. Be aware that multiple Delphis should be installed in increasing version number, so Delphi 5 after Delphi 4 and so on. ...

Delphi 7 + Windows 7 = No Help
Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this problem yet? Delphi 7 uses winhelp for it's help system and Windows 7 does not include winhelp. The problem: Although Vista has a winhelp download, Windows 7 does not, and the Vista winhelp download will not install on Windows 7. The solution: Waiting to find out. Anthony Walter wrote: > The solution: Waiting to find out. It was released about a half an hour ago for download... :-) http://tinyurl.com/yz6s397 Mark > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote} > Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this pro...

Reinstall Delphi 7 on Windows 7?
My projects work fine in Delphi 7 on my old XP machine so the problems I am now experiencing under Windows 7 must be due to the Delphi set-up in Windows 7. I have attempted to reinstall this - after entering my serial number and authorization code the installer bombs out with the error "1311 file not found C:\Program Files\Borland\DELPHI~1.cab ...." certainly this file does not exist but nor does it exist on the XP machine. I downloaded the original Delphi from the old Borland site which is now not avai lable. Does anyone know what this *.cab file is all about or how I can get new...

Delphi 7 and Windows 7 x64
I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? Tom Thomas Hahn wrote: > I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 > because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on > Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled > with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? It run OK, you must have admin rights to install Cesar Rom...

Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7
I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms. View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself. Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties. Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying? > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote} > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I h...

Trial Delphi XE4 will not install under Windows 7 64 bit
Hello, i just loaded the trial version and wanted to install it. When the dialog for serial no appears and i try to type it, the application crashes. The message ist "BDS funktioniert nicht mehr". In the details i see APPCRASH in Module ntdll.dll. The computer ist brand new and there is nothing installed on it. I tried serveral times and also with administration rights. Thanks Theo Theo Lang wrote: > Hello, > i just loaded the trial version and wanted to install it. > > When the dialog for serial no appears and i try to type it, the application cra...

ShortDateFormat problem with Windows 7 64-bit & Delphi 2007
Hi, first off I'm using Delphi 2007 in RAD Studio 2007 on a Windows 64-bit machine, this is important as the bug appears to be operating system specific! In my application I use TryStrToDate(AString, ADate) in a number of places to format grids and manipulate dates from text files. I've recent purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 (64-bit) as the operating system. I noticed when testing my software today that all the routines that were using TryStrToDate weren't working quite as I was expecting them to. Further investigation reveals that whilst me OS regional settings ShortDateF...

OpenGL 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit
I have an older OpenGL application using OpenGL 1.4 calls in both software and hardware modes that works fine on 32 bit XP and Win 7 but gives me issues with color depth on Windows 7 64bit. There aren't any errors but it displays fewer colors when it draws to the screen than when it draws to a bitmap. The AMD driver has the screen display set to 32bit color and when I step through the GL context creation whether for HW or SW everything appears correct with the PixelFormatDescriptor set to 8bits per color. GetDeviceCaps confirms that the screen DC is set to 32bit. I'...

Web resources about - Windows 7 and Delphi 7, 32 or 64 bit? - embarcadero.delphi.ide

The Windows Blog

Dick Smith float looks like window dressing
There are plenty of questions to be answered about the failed chain's financial health when it was sold to shareholders.

PD: Wendy's manager told to break all of the windows in phone hoax
Break the windows of your restaurant. Right now.

Chrome picks up bonus security features on Windows 10
(credit: Moyan Brenn ) The Windows 10 November update (version 1511, build 10586) included a handful of new security features to provide protection ...

Best Windows apps this week
One-hundred and sixty-sixin a series. Welcome to this week's overview of the best apps and games released for Windows 8.x and Windows 10 in the ...

Here's why Microsoft wants everyone to get Windows 10 by July — and what happens if they don't
Microsoft is giving away Windows to any existing customers for free until July 29, 2016. This is a dramatic shift from how previous versions ...

Seoul: North Korea moves up rocket launch window
Outside governments suspect planned rocket launch is a banned test of ballistic missile technology

Windows 10 quick tips: 5 ways to speed up your PC
Want Windows 10 to run faster? We've got help. Take a few minutes to try out these tips, and your machine will be zippier and less prone to performance ...