Windows 7 and Delphi 7, 32 or 64 bit?

I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
My question now is:
Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.

I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....

Bo Berglund
0
Bo
8/12/2010 4:38:31 AM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.ide
📃 3925 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 3431 Views

In article <[email protected]>, Bo Berglund <> says...

> I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
> I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
> My question now is:
> Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
> This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.
>
> I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....
>
> Bo Berglund

Bo,
I have tried Delphi 7 on Win 7 x64 and have not had any problems; but I
have not test every thing.

--
Jon.
0
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
> I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
> My question now is:
> Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
> This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bits OS with Delphi 7. It works like a charm.

Here are some tips:
1. Install not in "C:\Program Files" nor "C:\Program Files (x86)" but in another folder - I use C:\Progs ("Program Files" folders are virtual directories, so you can't write under those with normal user rights by default)
2. Install WinHlp32 from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=166421
3. It's a good idea to install DDevExtensions at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=10 and DelphiSpeedUp at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=8

Another possibility, which may be used without any problem, is to use Windows XP compatibility mode.

> I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....

As far as I found out on my PC, there is an issue with Delphi 2007/2009 debugger (which can be fixed by http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27521).
But I didn't have any problem with Delphi 7 debugger under Windows 7 x64.
0
Arnaud
8/12/2010 7:09:44 AM
I can also confirm that Windows 7 x64 and Delphi 7 are working without problems. I support Arnoud's suggestions. In my case I have installed Delphi in %Windows%\Program Files (x86) and had to make some modifications to that directory. See the description for that in  http://weblog.hansotten.com/?p=833

Christian
0
Christian
8/12/2010 12:37:32 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:09:44 -0700, Arnaud BOUCHEZ <> wrote:

>> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
>> I am in the process of getting a new PC and these days there is a choice between 32 and 64 bit operating system (Win7).
>> I have both Delphi7 Pro and BDS2006, where most of my work tends to still be done in Delphi 7.
>> My question now is:
>> Does Delphi 7 work correctly in Windows 7 x64 or do I have to install the 32 bit version in order to work with Delphi 7?
>> This is about the IDE, not programs created with Delphi, which I already know work fine in Win7x64.
>
>I'm using Windows 7 64 bits OS with Delphi 7. It works like a charm.
>
>Here are some tips:
>1. Install not in "C:\Program Files" nor "C:\Program Files (x86)" but in another folder - I use C:\Progs ("Program Files" folders are virtual directories, so you can't write under those with normal user rights by default)

I am usually nowadays installing software in a different tree from
"Program Files" for much the same reasons as you list, plus the fact
tha i do not like paths with embedded whitespace, so I remove that as
well.

>2. Install WinHlp32 from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=166421

Didn't think about that one....

>3. It's a good idea to install DDevExtensions at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=10 and DelphiSpeedUp at http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/?page_id=8

Will have a look, did not know about these.

>Another possibility, which may be used without any problem, is to use Windows XP compatibility mode.

Well, I do use virtualization a lot, but then I would surely use
VMWare Workstation 7 instead of the "integrated" XP-Mode. In fact I
already have a few dev machines as virtuals. But I did not want my
main dev tool to be virtualized unless that is the last resort.

>> I am worried about the impact of new security measures in Win7 and incompatibilities between the Delphi7 debugger and Win7x64.....
>
>As far as I found out on my PC, there is an issue with Delphi 2007/2009 debugger (which can be fixed by http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27521).
>But I didn't have any problem with Delphi 7 debugger under Windows 7 x64.

Thanks for the input!
I am actually using GExperts plug-in to my Delphi, but if D7 itself
works I have no worry that GExperts will have problems. :-)

I did not think about the help issue, though, good to be reminded. I
know that MS has abandoned WinHelp in favor of CHM help, but I did not
think about it just now. Good that there is a solution!

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
<[email protected]> wrote:

I'm back again...
Now I haver my new laptop with Win7 Pro X64 and as soon as I started
to install Delphi7 Win7 barfed up a dialog box telling me that there
are "known issues" with Delphi 7 and that it was incompatible with
Win7. So I exited the setup--- :(

What can I do in order to actually install? And what are the
incompatibilities really?
I usually install these kinds of programs in a folder structure
starting at C:\Programs rather than C:\Program Files.

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden
> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:39:41 -0700, Bo Berglund
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I'm back again...
> Now I haver my new laptop with Win7 Pro X64 and as soon as I started
> to install Delphi7 Win7 barfed up a dialog box telling me that there
> are "known issues" with Delphi 7 and that it was incompatible with
> Win7. So I exited the setup--- :(
>
> What can I do in order to actually install? And what are the
> incompatibilities really?
> I usually install these kinds of programs in a folder structure
> starting at C:\Programs rather than C:\Program Files.

Ignore the warning and continue with installation. Warning is there just
to let you know that there might be issues, but as long as you don't install
it into C:\Program Files you should be fine.

Dalija Prasnikar
0
Dalija