Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade

I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE.  I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded.  After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7.  I get the following error:-
[Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel
I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next.  Also checked the sequence
to make sure that all the $(DELPHI) entries come at the front ...
 
$(DELPHI)\Lib;$(DELPHI)\Bin;$(DELPHI)\Imports;$(DELPHI)\Projects\Bpl;$(DELPHI)\Rave5\Lib;c:\delphi\components\delphi 7\ace\d7;C:\Delphi\COMPON~1\JEDI\jcl\lib\d7;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jcl\source\include;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jvcl\lib\D7;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jvcl\common;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jvcl\Resources;c:\delphi\components\delphi 7\edocengine vcl\lib\d7;C:\Program Files\Gnostice\eDocEngine VCL\Lib\D7;C:\Program Files\Gnostice\Shared\Lib\D7;c:\program files\madcollection\d7\madbasic\delp
hi 7;c:\program files\madcollection\d7\maddisasm\delphi 7;c:\program files\madcollection\d7\madexcept\delphi 7
The reason I said that "I think" I installed Update 1 is that it didn't behave like the installation instructions.  I expected it to ask for serial numbers or something, but it just cruised on through error messages.  The About screen now says "Delphi 7 Professional Version 7.0 Build 8.1" - I would have expected it to say "7.1" ...
The instructions on the website said ...
===============
* You will need the original Delphi 7 installation CD available
to install this update.
===============
.... which I was worried about as I had a download product and thus no CD.

If you are wondering why I am messing around with D7 ...
I'm running Delphi 6 at present and I need to upgrade my ICS components to v7 which need a minimum of Delphi 7 BUT I am also running DBISAM3 which won't run on any later version than Delphi 7.  In order to do a quick upgrade I need to move to D7 first - leaving a major overhaul of component sets until I have time to do a proper job.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction - maybe one of you had the same problem in the dim and distant past!  I have searched these forums too but though I can see some people did ask similar questions, I can' see any answers - maybe I'll be more lucky.
Cheers
Jeff
0
Jeff
12/14/2010 2:21:12 AM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.ide
📃 3925 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 4 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2729 Views


Jeff Cook wrote:
> I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of
> D7 which came for free with XE.  I downloaded and installed D7 and I
> think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. 
That should not have been necessary, I think the D7 version you get
with the XE license *is* update 1.
> After much
> messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to
> compile my D6 project with D7.  I get the following error:-
> 
> [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a
> different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel
You have either old D6 DCUs or D6 or D7 RTL/VLC source files on your
library path or the project search path. Remove these path entries.
Also check the project manager view (or the DPR file source) to make
sure you did not actually *add* a RTL or VCL unit explicitely to the D6
project. Delete all non-source files for the D6 project (especially
dcu, dsk, cfg), open the dpr file in D7, check the project options and
modify them, if needed, then try a build of the project.

-- 
Peter Below (TeamB)  
Don't be a vampire (http://slash7.com/pages/vampires), 
use the newsgroup archives :
http://codenewsfast.com
http://groups.google.com
0
Peter
12/14/2010 7:31:52 PM
Hi Peter
There was a copy of ExtCtrls.pas in my project source folder.  How that got there I have no idea - must have happened a while ago ...
Anyway, deleting that and fixing up a few library paths and I have a compiled application that apparently works!
Thank you so much.  I can't count the number times your posts have helped me over the last ten or so years.  As we say in New Zealand "Good on yer, Peter"
Cheers
Jeff
0
Jeff
12/14/2010 10:34:40 PM
Jeff Cook wrote:
> There was a copy of ExtCtrls.pas in my project source folder.  How
> that got there I have no idea - must have happened a while ago ...
I my experience that's a result of someone making custom changes to a
VCL source file.  You might consider comparing the ExtCtrls.pas that
you just deleted to the original D6 version to make sure they were the
same.
-- 
-Mike (TeamB)
0
Mike
12/14/2010 11:05:31 PM
Thanks Mike
In this case I've been the sole developer, so I doubt that I'd have amended ExtCtrl.pas - not the sort of thing I do and if I did I think I would have remembered.
I will check tho as with advancing senility who knows what I might have done yesterday!
Cheers
Jeff
0
Jeff
12/15/2010 12:39:02 AM
Reply: