problem reinstalling Abbrevia components

I recently upgraded to D2007 (previously using D7) and to provide a migration path for my applications I installed several of my favourite component packages into the new D2007 IDE.

In the process it apparently hosed my installation for Abbrevia in the old D7 environment (which I am not entirely ready to abandon).  The first sign of trouble was when launching D7 when I got a message about "cannot load ZLIB do you want to attempt to load next time?" I finally gace up and answered "no" hoping that it would clear out the references so I could reinstall.  I then copied my Abbrevia files to a new directory and attempted to re-install them but now I get a message like "cannot load package
rtl100.  It contains unit ZLIB which is also contained in rtl70".

I am at a loss as to what to attempt next to get this useful component re-installed intot he D7 IDE.

Can anyone offer a suggestion about how I can get this component set installed in D7 without hosing the D2007 installation?
0
David

Here's what I did a while ago on my Vista machine.

Obtained TP files from SourceForge
Define Environmental variable in D2007 in "Tools|Options":
  "TPx" as "C:\{Path where you want to store all your TP components}"
  This will be used in setting Library Path in "Tools|Options|Delphi
Options|Libray - Win32"
  There will specifically be a path pointing to "Abbrevia" where the
SourceForge
    files will be stored.

Use  D7 supplied packages from SourceForge.  (I used version 3.05).
Created resource files by copying the D7 files and then renaming them.
Open B305_r70.dpk, B305vr70.dpk, B305vd70.dpk in Notepad.
  Change references of 70 to 100.
  Save as B305_r100.dpk, B305vr100.dpk, B305vd100.dpk.
File|Open and compile in D2007:
  B305_r100.dpk, B305vr100.dpk, B305vd100.dpk (run-time first).
  Comile occurs without error.
  Output files went to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl"
Set Library path as "$(TPx)\Abbrevia\Source"
Install design-time packages into IDE using "Component|Install Packages",
  and opening the design "B305vd100.bpl" file
  from "C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl".

Good luck
0
Robert
8/12/2008 3:38:06 PM
Hi and tanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I made the situation clear... I have installed the component into D2007 (no problems) However that installation seems to have hosed my install into D7 (not D2007).

I am having a problem reinstalling into D7 (see previous description)

TIA

> {quote:title=Robert Lincoln wrote:}{quote}
> Here's what I did a while ago on my Vista machine.
>
> Obtained TP files from SourceForge
> Define Environmental variable in D2007 in "Tools|Options":
>   "TPx" as "C:\{Path where you want to store all your TP components}"
>   This will be used in setting Library Path in "Tools|Options|Delphi
> Options|Libray - Win32"
>   There will specifically be a path pointing to "Abbrevia" where the
> SourceForge
>     files will be stored.
>
> Use  D7 supplied packages from SourceForge.  (I used version 3.05).
> Created resource files by copying the D7 files and then renaming them.
> Open B305_r70.dpk, B305vr70.dpk, B305vd70.dpk in Notepad.
>   Change references of 70 to 100.
>   Save as B305_r100.dpk, B305vr100.dpk, B305vd100.dpk.
> File|Open and compile in D2007:
>   B305_r100.dpk, B305vr100.dpk, B305vd100.dpk (run-time first).
>   Comile occurs without error.
>   Output files went to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl"
> Set Library path as "$(TPx)\Abbrevia\Source"
> Install design-time packages into IDE using "Component|Install Packages",
>   and opening the design "B305vd100.bpl" file
>   from "C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\5.0\Bpl".
>

> Good luck
0
David
8/12/2008 8:00:47 PM
I'm sorry, I did misread.

The only thing I can think of is that the files needed for D7 and D2007 may
be "overlapping".  So, maybe if everything D7 and D2007 needs for Abbrevia
is in a completely different directory, there won't be a conflict.  I recall
a long time ago some user having some TP component files (bpl files?) in the
Windows\System directory and having conflicts or problems with the
components with different versions of Delphi running.  The user had to
physically delete some TP files in the Windows\System directory as a simple
uninstall didn't remove them all.
0
Robert
8/12/2008 8:49:35 PM
Thanks again for the reply...

I had already tried copying a set of the Abbrevia files into a separate directory and attempting the install, but I still get the same error.. Maybe it has something to do with the TP related files you mentioned in the Windows\System32 directory, but since these are binaries, I am not sure what is "safe" to do with them to facilitate the install into D7 without hosing D2007.

I wish the TP folks were still around to give advice on this stuff.

David
8/13/2008 1:15:19 PM
> {quote:title=David Denby wrote:}{quote}
> Thanks again for the reply...
>
> I had already tried copying a set of the Abbrevia files into a separate directory and attempting the install, but I still get the same error.. Maybe it has something to do with the TP related files you mentioned in the Windows\System32 directory, but since these are binaries, I am not sure what is "safe" to do with them to facilitate the install into D7 without hosing D2007.
>
> I wish the TP folks were still around to give advice on this stuff.
>
> Thanks

Umm... I'm not one of the "TP folks", but it seems to me that the solution is very simple.

2. Unzip them into a new folder location on your machine.
3. Install from the new folder location into Delphi 7 as before.

Any reason that wouldn't work for you?
0
Ken
8/13/2008 4:56:09 PM
I am not sure about the "reason", but it doesn't work, I still get a ZLib conflict with RTL70 that prevents me from installing it.
0
David
8/14/2008 11:49:27 AM
David Denby wrote:
> I recently upgraded to D2007 (previously using D7) and to provide a migration path for my applications I installed several of my favourite component packages into the new D2007 IDE.
>
> In the process it apparently hosed my installation for Abbrevia in the old D7 environment (which I am not entirely ready to abandon).  The first sign of trouble was when launching D7 when I got a message about "cannot load ZLIB do you want to attempt to load next time?" I finally gace up and answered "no" hoping that it would clear out the references so I could reinstall.  I then copied my Abbrevia files to a new directory and attempted to re-install them but now I get a message like "cannot load packag
> rtl100.  It contains unit ZLIB which is also contained in rtl70".
>
> I am at a loss as to what to attempt next to get this useful component re-installed intot he D7 IDE.
>
> Can anyone offer a suggestion about how I can get this component set installed in D7 without hosing the D2007 installation?

Remember that there is an .inc-file that need to take into account using
D2007.
0
Alf

How do I reinstall Delphi without having to reinstall all components?
I had to rebuild by hard drive and reinstall Delphi 6, but I still have to original version. I had it backed up. Can I simply copy some of my old files to the new install and get my components back? By "components back", I mean back into the palette, etc. If so, which files? Thanks. Mike Meier wrote: > Can I simply copy some of my old files to the new install and get my > components back? No. Installed packages are stored in the registry. -- Yorai Aminov (TeamB) (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.) Shorter Path - http://www.shorterpat...

problem with a component that has other components
Hi ! I am writing a component that has multiple elements inside (edit, buttons etc). I started with TWinControl and then created inside TEdit and other elements. The problem: when window below my component is updated, the Edit does not repaint (looks transparent). Apparently I violate the paint message propagation ... Please help me! Also let me know if there are better ways to make such a control. Boris <Boris Epel> wrote in message news:310889@forums.embarcadero.com... > I started with TWinControl Consider deriving your main component from TPanel or TFrame or some other...

Problem with Delphi 5 IDE
I have a delphi 5 program that makes the following function call: BroadcastSystemMessage(BSF_NOHANG or BSF_POSTMESSAGE,dword(nil),tSwitchMsg,handle,winmsg_hello); It works if the program is run outside the IDE, but not if it is run inside the IDE. Would anyone know why this is so? Pier ...

Color problems with components in Delphi 2009?
Hi list ~ just wrote a little visual component that is made up from a few multi-colored panels. At design time the colors show nicely and also when I use the component in a non-themed application. In a themed application ('Use Themes' checkbox checked) the entire components loses its colors and turns clBtnFace. Anybody have an idea what's up? TIA Kai > {quote:title=Kai Peters wrote:}{quote} > Hi list ~ > > just wrote a little visual component that is made up from a few multi-colored panels. At design time the colors show nicely and also when I use th...

Installing Components Problem Delphi 2009
Hello, I´am trying to install some Thirdy Party Components in Delphi 2009 but I´am having trouble with the location. When I build the Package they go to another folder,my old delphi 2007 folder, and on the one that I choose. I aredy configureted the Path for BPL,DCUs and DCPs but this componentes don´t go follow it.I mean, I can build my old projects fine, but thoose ones no[ o.0 ]. Some information: on the "Target Core Compile:" there is a line who contains: -LE"C:\Delphi2007"(my old folder for delphi) -Le"c:\Delphi2007" -No"C:\Temp&quo...

Problem with TrayIcon component in Delphi 2010
Hello people! I'm having some problems with the TrayIcon component in Delphi 2010, Trial. {code} with TrayIcon1 do begin Hint:='Mouse over trayicon'; BalloonHint:='Text from trayicon'; BalloonTitle:= 'Title of ballon'; Visible:=true; ShowBalloonHint; end; {code} The hint is correctly altered but the Ballon DON'T is showed, someone know we is this occuring? PS.: Sorry for my bad english :P Hi Jo, > I'm having some problems with the TrayIcon component in Delphi 2010, Trial. > > {code} ...

PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS.
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS. Comments: Does Google's Chrome browser block out Firefox? Am having a lot of trouble getting Firefox to run after I run Chrome. No trouble what-so- ever before running Chrome. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1064 Safari/532.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see ...

Problems problems and problems.
Name: A.A. Product: Firefox Summary: Problems problems and problems. Comments: I am not specific, but in short I can not use This site to listen music anymore, while I can in IE explorer. Just to let you guys know, new version messed something up. http://hypem.com/ Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Problems Problems Problems
So, I have OpenSUSE installed on my laptop and everything is working well, except the wireless. It almost seems that every time I run a KDE distro I can not get the internet to work. I've run YaST and used iwconfig. nothing is working for me. Please help -ZAD -- zadnik18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ someone is going to tell you to supply some more information 'My wireless doesn't work - a primer on what I should do next - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/6peanc) this is one of the stick...

Problems, problems, problems
Name: Hans Halvorsen Email: capricorn_at_online.no Product: Thunderbird Summary: Problems, problems, problems Comments: Hi, I downloaded Thunderbird some time ago, and I was over-satisfied whit it and how well it worked. In fact it worked 100% PERFECTLY UNTIL I got an newer update version of it. Since then I' ve had nothing BUT trouble! I've checked adresses, notes, password, deleted accounts and made new one's, checked sign-ins and sign-outs, passwords inside and out, upside and down, so many times that my frustration now is about to turn into pure and major ...

Delphi 2010 Prof.
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_4a613.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" --JivePart=_4a613.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="delphi_toolbar_problem.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="delphi_toolbar_problem.jpg" /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/7QAcUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNBAQAAAAAAAD/2wBDAAIB AQEBAQIBAQECAgICAgQDAgICAgUEBAMEBgUGBgYFBgYGBwkIBgcJBwYG...

.net component to Delphi component ?
Hello, Is there a way to use .net component inside Delphi ? Thanks On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:16:37 -0800, isaac sam wrote: > Is there a way to use .net component inside Delphi ? http://www.managed-vcl.com/ has some libraries for this. -- Marc Rohloff [TeamB] marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com Marc Rohloff wrote: > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:16:37 -0800, isaac sam wrote: > >> Is there a way to use .net component inside Delphi ? > > http://www.managed-vcl.com/ has some libraries for this. > I was hoping for a free tool but thanks On Tue, 18 Nov 2008...

A problem about connecting ASA by ADO component of Delphi?
Is there anyone to try to use ADO component of Delphi to connect ASA? I fail to do it. I manipulate database by TDataSource,TADOQuery,TConnection components of Delphi, and set up connection with ASA guide. When running the program, the connection is set up successfully. But a EoleException is thrown once I make a query using TADOQuery. System prompt "unknown error". Who knows what happened? Is it a compatible problem between ASA driver(ASAProv) and ADO component of Delphi? (All are ok when connecting ASA by BDE components). Is there anyone to try this?? ...

Problems, problems, problems
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Problems, problems, problems Comments: I use FF all the time for work - I'm a software tester - the add-ons are invaluable. But v3.5 really has been a disappointment. It just keeps hanging all the time. And when Internet Explorer windows pop up, FF often just dies. It can't even restart itself - I have to manually kill the process every time; every update, every add-on that updates, "restart" fails - it's so frustrating. I hope v3.6 will be addressing this - PLEASE! Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7....

Web resources about - problem reinstalling Abbrevia components - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Reinstalling Masstransiscope - YouTube
The art installation Masstransiscope by Bill Brand has delighted Brooklyn subway passengers since 1980. Go behind the scenes to see how it was ...

Reinstalling Windows Open Thread
Yes, new computer, 3d time since I got it a month ago, reinstalling Windows and everything else on the 'puter. I WILL bitch slap the first person ...

Apple Says No More To Reinstalling And Updating Refunded App Store Apps
Neither reinstalling nor updating refunded apps from the App Store is now allowed by Apple, as reported by MacRumors . Previously, if you purchased ...

Flushing the crapware: A guide to reinstalling Windows 8 on a new PC
Installing a clean copy of Windows 8 on a new, crapware-infested PC is even easier than it was in Windows 7. Andrew Cunningham We may have ...

iOS 9 makes space for updates by deleting apps... and then reinstalling them
... new way to handle devices that are low on space. iOS 9 is now able to temporarily delete apps to free up the necessary megabytes, before reinstalling ...

Stuck with iOS 8.0.1? Here’s how to fix it by reinstalling iOS 8
Yesterday, proving it is far from infallible when it comes to both hardware design and software development, Apple released a faulty version ...

Windows 10 Updating, Reinstalling And Activation Guide: Essential Advice To Avoid Problems
Yesterday saw the release of Microsoft's highly anticipated Windows 10 operating system. For the most part things went fairly smoothly as it ...

Reinstalling mobile apps often fixes glitches
Since all of your Gmail messages are stored on the Gmail servers, there is no danger of losing any data when you do this. If you don't have your ...

Deleting and reinstalling an iOS app - iLounge Article
Q: I want to delete an app and download a fresh copy to my device. However, when I go to the App Store and locate the app, it has the iCloud ...

How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows
... to a small drive can be tricky, because your data won't necessarily all fit on the drive. Here's how to install an SSD without reinstalling ...