Migration from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005

Hi,
Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.
My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005?
                        2. If we can able to do then what are the ways to migrate to Delphi 2005 IDE and also provide some link regarding this migrate?
Thanks,
Rizwan
0
Rizwan

Rizwan Ahmed schrieb:
> Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source
> file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.

The compiler will tell you everything.

I remember only two requirements:
Get new versions of third-party components.
Fix Uses lists, e.g. for new unit Variant.

DoDi
0
Hans
3/6/2014 3:07:00 PM
On 06/03/2014 15:07, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Rizwan Ahmed schrieb:
>> Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source
>> file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.
>
> The compiler will tell you everything.
>
> I remember only two requirements:
> Get new versions of third-party components.
> Fix Uses lists, e.g. for new unit Variant.
>
> DoDi

And, don't rely on Delphi 2005 to upgrade your existing project. It will
more than likely screw things up.
Start a new project in D2005, and add your existing units to it.

Stewart
0
Stewart
3/6/2014 3:57:20 PM
Stewart Gaskell wrote:
> On 06/03/2014 15:07, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> Rizwan Ahmed schrieb:
>>> Hi, Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source
>>> file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.
>>
>> The compiler will tell you everything.
>>
>> I remember only two requirements:
>> Get new versions of third-party components.
>> Fix Uses lists, e.g. for new unit Variant.
>>
>> DoDi
>>
> And, don't rely on Delphi 2005 to upgrade your existing project. It will
> more than likely screw things up.
> Start a new project in D2005, and add your existing units to it.

And seriously reconsider using D2005, it's crippled. Use D2006 or D2007
but not D2005.
0
Olivier
3/6/2014 4:07:14 PM
Rizwan,

| My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5
| to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we
| able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005?

It's impossible to say "without any issue" without trying.  But you
should upgrade to D2007!

I had *NO* issues going from D5 to RAD Studio 2007.  But that was MY
code, not yours.

Repeat:  Do NOT upgrade to D2005!!!

03/06/2014 09:48:58

1.19.1.372  [Q'sBrokenToolBar] [Running on TQ]
-1
Quentin
3/6/2014 5:52:20 PM
Thanks All for your valuable comments - For migrating to D2005 I am now planning to migrate to D2007. Please help me out to how to i migrate from D5 to D2007?

> {quote:title=Rizwan Ahmed wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
> Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.
> My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005?
>                         2. If we can able to do then what are the ways to migrate to Delphi 2005 IDE and also provide some link regarding this migrate?
> Thanks,
> Rizwan
0
Rizwan
3/7/2014 11:38:47 AM
Like Hans-Peter mentioned, find all 3th party components you use and add them in D2007.
If you have the source of the components then they might compile for D2007 too.
0
Robert
3/7/2014 11:53:26 AM
> {quote:title=Olivier Sannier wrote:}{quote}
> And seriously reconsider using D2005, it's crippled. Use D2006 or D2007
> but not D2005.

+1000
0
Arnaud
3/7/2014 5:15:31 PM
Rizwan wrote:

> Please help me out to how to i migrate from D5 to D2007?

What is the actual problem you are worried about?  D2007 is the last pre-Unicode
release, so the only real migration-related issue you need to handle is third-party
components, if you are using any.  You would have to make sure that all of
the third-party components you use are installed in D2007 prior to then migrating
your project.  As for the actual migration, simply create a new project (don't
open your existing project), add your existing source files to it, and then
compile.  The D2007 VCL/RTL should be fully compatible wth the D5 VCL/RTL,
so you don't have to change any code.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
> compile.  The D2007 VCL/RTL should be fully compatible wth the D5 VCL/RTL,
> so you don't have to change any code.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

One exception I can think of on that is D6 introduces the Variants.pas file so
Variant use will need that added to uses clauses when jumping from D5 to a later
version.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)

> {quote:title=Rizwan Ahmed wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
> Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.
> My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005?
>                         2. If we can able to do then what are the ways to migrate to Delphi 2005 IDE and also provide some link regarding this migrate?
> Thanks,
> Rizwan
0
Rizwan
3/10/2014 1:39:48 PM
>variants.pas?

Some of the Delphi Classes or Types are shifted to another units like all the ones that deal
with variants are shifted (from System) to Variants.pas. (like Null, VarType)
If you find such types you have to include variants in your uses.

{code}
uses System;

myVariant : Variant;
myVariant:=unAssigned;

E2003 Undeclared identifier: 'unAssigned'
{code}

{code}
uses System, Variants,..;

myVariant : Variant;
myVariant:=unAssigned;

{code}
0
Robert
3/10/2014 2:14:44 PM
> {quote:title=Rizwan Ahmed wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
> Currently we are using Delphi 5 in that we have lot of source file now we planned to migrate from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005.
> My question is - 1. Is it possible to migrate directly from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005, my old code was developed using Delphi 5 IDE. Can we able to compile and build without any issue in Delphi 2005?
>                         2. If we can able to do then what are the ways to migrate to Delphi 2005 IDE and also provide some link regarding this migrate?
> Thanks,
> Rizwan

There about a dozen Delphi versions to upgrade to from Delphi 5.
2005 is probably the worst pick of them all. :-)

If you're investing in an upgrade, why do you only consider versions that are about a decade old?
This is a good opportunity to get with the times, and go for XE5 instead. I'd hate having to go back to any version that doesn't support generics.
0
Wouter

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up
Dear List, Trying to add 7Zip compression support to my delphi application. I am using the ported 7Zip sdk (see their website, they have a link). I am stumped on how to rewrite a single function: function ReverseDecode(var Models: array of SmallInt; ....): ..... where the input is mostly a fixed size array of SmallInt. This code perfectly compiles and functions in Delphi 6 and up, but in Delphi 5 I get the error: There is no overloaded version of 'ReverseDecode' that can be called with these arguments And obviously, the input (fixed) isn't the same as the param definition (dynamic sized). However, my question is just as obvious: How do I rewrite this function so it will behave correctly in Delphi 5? (If this is even possible) I hope I don't have to overload it to something like: function ReverseDecode(var Models: array[0..xxx] of SmallInt....... Thanks in advance for any assistance, Rory Rory Slegtenhorst wrote: > Dear List, > > Trying to add 7Zip compression support to my delphi application. > I am using the ported 7Zip sdk (see their website, they have a link). > > I am stumped on how to rewrite a single function: > > function ReverseDecode(var Models: array of SmallInt; ....): ..... > > where the input is mostly a fixed size array of SmallInt. > This code perfectly compiles and functions in Delphi 6 and up, but in > Delphi 5 I get the error: There is no overloaded version...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Converting from Delphi 2005 to Delphi XE5
I have developed a number of Windows applications in Delphi 2005. I recently purchased Delphi XE5. I have started by trying to compile an existing 2005 application. I am getting a 7 errors about FMXTeeEditor. [dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'FMXTee.Editor.Brush.fmx' Not able to find a solution to this. Any help greatly appreciated. Did you open every form before compiling? The old forms get updated with new properties when they are opened. I would make a copy of the old project before doing any of this. maybe you have links to the older tchart files....i.e its not usi...

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 conversion
Hi We are moving our product from D5 to D6. I have dealt with all the deprecated functions. However, we are getting various platform specifc warnings. These include: Symbol 'FileGetAttr' is specific to a platform Symbol 'FileSetAttr' is specific to a platform Symbol 'faReadOnly' is specific to a platform We want this conversion to be carried out correctly. We don't view the simple solution of switching off those warnings or symbols as being the correct way. What we want is the same platform independence as other functions. For example, all o...

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1....

package conversion from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2010
Hello, I am evaluating 2010 to convert a delphi 5 app up. My first task is to convert some custom control packages. My requires statment looks like this: requires vcl50, Vclx50, VclSmp50, Vcldb50, vcljpg50, What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any? Is there documentation that I could look at to help with the conversion process? Thanks.. ...Joe.. joe alaimo wrote: > requires > vcl50, > Vclx50, > VclSmp50, > Vcldb50, > vcljpg50, 140 is the 2010 version. > > What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any? Is t...

delphi.Net Delphi 2005 Project Upgrades?
Our company aquired the software property from another last year. Most of the projects were written in Delphi 2007. We purchased Delphi XE which gave us access to previous versions, including D 2007... all is well. However, 3 projects were written Delphi 2005 for .Net. The VM we received from this company included D2005 but it was licensed from the previous developer. I've contacted Embarcadero about obtaining a copy and or a license+registration for Delphi 2005 and was told this product is no longer available. I'm under the impression Delphi for .Net was abandoned. My qu...

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1.proLogInGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmLogIn.Create(AWebApplication); end; ..... .... Now I Upgrade to Delphi XE.... Below is my Code in Delphi XE and There is no IWTPageProducer instead I used TPageProducer... {*************************************************} unit uWebModule; interface uses SysUtils, Classes, HTTPApp, HTTPProd, SOAPHTTPDisp, WebBrokerSOAP, IWAppForm, IWApplication; type TfrmWebModule = class(TWebModule) PageProducer1: TPageProducer; . . . private public end; var WebModuleClass: TComponentClass = TfrmWebModule; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; implementation uses uMain; {$R *.dfm} procedure TfrmWebModule.frmWebModuleactMainAction(Sender: TObject; Request: TWebRequest; Response: TWebRes...

Change icon after migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010
I have an old project I am moving to Delphi 2010. I have attempted to change the icon for this project by setting the Application icon in the Project Options. After building the project, the exe file shows the new icon. However, when I create a shortcut to my application, the icon is the old Delphi lightning bolt icon. I have tried to get rid of the old icon by completely deleting the RES file and letting Delphi create a new RES file but that didn't change anything. I know I am missing something but I can't seem to find it. Help! RG Robert Gutierrez wrote: > I have a...

What we need to learn as we migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2012
As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next version. We understand the daunting migration to Unicode that awaits us but know that we have missed some "new and improved" items where we have to get all our developers up to speed on that may not be related to Unicode. So, we will need to plan some training before we jump in. Is there such a list out ...

Hello, we have one Delphi 2005 Professional here and want to upgrade to Delphi 2010, but we are a bit confused. Our distributor in Germany, ingram-micro offers several upgrade products: UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER FLEX RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - UPG UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED ELC UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED FLEX UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT FLEX What do they mean exactly and which one do i need? At the moment delphi is installed on two PCs and we want to use ...

Memory usage in Delphi 2007 vs. Delphi 5
Going from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2007 and finding something way unexpected. The reportedly *same code, and same data,* uses about 104 MB in Delphi 5 and about 400 MB in Delphi 2007 according to the Windows Task Manager. Now, I know that it is not the most accurate way of measuring memory usage, but it gives us an idea of the proportion of memory use in Delphi 2007. Before we go deeper, we just created 20,000 objects and added them to an object list in Delphi 5 and 2007. The result in memory use still looks like 50 MB (Delphi 5) to 178 MB (Delphi 2007). We've downloaded ...

Delphi 5 (string[80]) vs Delphi XE
Hi guys i'm trying to convert a old application made with Delphi 5 to Delphi XE 5 The probleme i have right now is about String[80] and the Read / Write procedure i have a type like that Type TEnrMess = record Mess : String[80]; MessSuiv : Word; Hint : Word; end; And i read/write this type to a File of TEnrMess My probleme is that the string have changed from Delphi 5 to Delphi XE i join the link of a simple of the probleme that can be compiled on delphi 5 and any Delphi XE https://mega.co.nz/#!wV1VyZzY!1ha5oOxTg7L1WJAOXutUygkj...

Migration from Delphi 2007 Rad to Delphi XE Where is Quickreports
Have installed and finally registered Delphi Xe, I am looking for Quickreports but am unable to find it anywhere, I asked the Distributer and was told its packaged in Delphi XE, Well I should have gone to specsavers......cos I cant see it any where ? > {quote:title=Colin Coleman wrote:}{quote} > Have installed and finally registered Delphi Xe, I am looking for Quickreports but am unable to find it anywhere, I asked the Distributer and was told its packaged in Delphi XE, Well I should have gone to specsavers......cos I cant see it any where ? Hello Colin, Delphi X...

What flavour of Delphi would be better for me to migrate to, from Delphi 2009 Architect?
Hello. I do single development and need access to database tools, so I have today bought the updated Devarts Unidac for D2009E, since my previous version was from back in 2010. Then I thought, why not take the full step, when I'm in the move anyway. Have read a lot in ng's of slower compiler and about drowning in new stuff that does Delphi harder to get productive, with my knowledge level. I'm now, for me, doing the biggest project ever, so perhaps I should take the step now, but fear the time consuming consequences. Perhaps the time needed for the project itself will h...

Web resources about - Migration from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2005 - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Put A Price On Carbon Or Face Trillions Of Dollars Of Costs & Massive Food Security & Migration Challenges ...
... will impose enormous costs on our global [&hellip Put A Price On Carbon Or Face Trillions Of Dollars Of Costs & Massive Food Security & Migration ...

The other migration causing headaches for Greece
Europe's 'Delaware' is a big tax headache for struggling Greece.

NATO general: Europe migration causing ISIS to spread 'like a cancer'
CNN International NATO general: Europe migration causing ISIS to spread 'like a cancer' CNN International (CNN) NATO's top general said that ...

Luxembourg PM: EU, Turkey end migration talks; new proposals go to next week's summit
BRUSSELS (AP) — Luxembourg PM: EU, Turkey end migration talks; new proposals go to next week's summit .

Could climate change force migration and limit agriculture? (+video)
Two new climate-related studies point to the drastic effects of climate change in the coming decades, including a drop in global food availability ...

Snowy Owl 'Baltimore' Provides Best Migration Data Ever
The pale hunter gives watchers at the organization Project SNOWstorm a treasure trove of information.

Why Migration To The Cloud Requires An IT Management Upgrade
At enterprises that don’t have the right level of automation, IT costs more than it should, cannot be easily improved, lacks security and becomes ...

German lawmakers squash plan to promote pork in face of Muslim migration
German lawmakers squash plan to promote pork in face of Muslim migration

UK migration: Six myths about immigration debunked as latest figures show fall in non-EU arrivals
Six myths about immigration debunked as latest figures show fall in non-EU arrivals. Migrants gets extra attention or benefits are also explored ...