Hi!
Like many other developer out there I have several project which has been developed with older version of Delphi (Delphi 7). Since theese projects rely on some components which are not compatible with newer versions of Delphi (no newer versions available) I'm forced to do any maintnance on theese projects using Delphi 7.
Another solution would be to find replacment components which would provide me with same capabilities and work with latest versions of Delphi. But this would probbably require compleete rewritings of my projects (lots and lots of work).
So currently I'm using Delphi 7 to do any maintnance on theese projects but I surely do miss many features that Delphi XE3 provides.
Anywhay I belive that I have idea of how to make things a bit easier for me but I don't know if it would work or even if it is realy posible.
My idea is to configure Delphi XE3 IDE so that instead of its default debigger/linker/compielr it use Delphi 7 debugger/linker/compiler offcourse using Delphi 7 packages. I also realize that I would be limited by Delphi 7 language limitation (no unicode, not touch capability, no class helpers, etc), but I do think that I could still use most features from DelphiXE3 code editor. The thing that would come most handy for me is code folding capabilities and regions. Theese features don't affect the final appl
ication but do help in code redability a lot.
Delphi XE2 used external compiler (FPC compiler) for compiling MacOS and iOS applications. So I'm wandering would it be poosible to use Delphi 7 compiler in similar way? And if it would be posible how to configure Delphi XE3 IDE for this.
Now if this is actually posible I do think that Embarcadero should provide an easy means of using this as it would definitly atract many pepole to upgrading to newer versions of Delphi. Component incompatibilities in existing projects is the major reason why developers don't upgrade their Delphi enviroments.
0
Silvo
2/13/2013 12:18:35 AM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.ide
📃 3925 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 3061 Views

Silvo wrote:
> My idea is to configure Delphi XE3 IDE so that instead of its default
> debigger/linker/compielr it use Delphi 7 debugger/linker/compiler
> offcourse using Delphi 7 packages.
You are not the first person to ask for that.  Back in the D2009 timeframe,
there was a third-party plugin made available for this exact purpose:
IDE Compiler Plugin 1.0
http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-compiler-plugin-10/
AFAIK, it has not been updated to support newer IDE versions, however.
> Delphi XE2 used external compiler (FPC compiler) for compiling MacOS
> and iOS applications.
Only as a temporary measure until a new compiler that natively outputs Mac/iOs
executables is made available.
> So I'm wandering would it be poosible to use Delphi 7 compiler in similar
way?
Possible, maybe.  Readily available,  no.
--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0