How is made the Delphi IDE ?

Hello
Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written in...Delphi + VCL. Is it always true ? Are there some informations about it ?
I curious about editor because it is quite clean and efficient, and is 'customised' with some third party software like CnPack, do they have acces to sources or new functions are done via a plug in ?
0
phil

Am 26.07.2013 10:11, schrieb phil prost:
> Hello
> Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written in...Delphi + VCL. Is it always true ? Are there some informations about it ?
> I curious about editor because it is quite clean and efficient, and is 'customised' with some third party software like CnPack, do they have acces to sources or new functions are done via a plug in ?

Don't know exactly but I think so - at least my main dev IDE (D2010)
still starts with TEmbarcadero.Create ;)

kind regards
   Mike
0
Michael
7/26/2013 8:32:42 AM
Hello Phil,

> Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written in...Delphi +
> VCL. Is it always true ?

As fr as I know this is still true

> I curious about editor because it is quite clean and efficient, and is
> 'customised' with some third party software like CnPack, do they have
> acces to sources or new functions are done via a plug in ?

The IDE does have an 'plugin' API - it's called the 'Delphi Open tools API'

> Are there some informations about it ?

English:
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE4/en/Overview_of_the_Tools_API
http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-action/otapi
http://www.gexperts.org/open-tools-api-faq/
http://www.sdn.nl/SDN/Artikelen/tabid/58/view/View/ArticleID/3157/Introduction-to-the-Delphi-Open-Tools-API.aspx

--
Regards,

Ronald Hoek

Application Developer
ComponentAgro B.V.
Oud-Beijerland - The Netherlands

http://www.componentagro.nl

KvK: H24264020
0
Ronald
7/26/2013 9:16:22 AM
phil

I think there's .NET in there somewhere as well.

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
7/26/2013 10:19:57 AM
> I think there's .NET in there somewhere as well.

Not much anymore - they dropped .NET developement in Delphi from some
version (in think is was 2009 - when unicode came into place)

--
Regards,

Ronald Hoek

Application Developer
ComponentAgro B.V.
Oud-Beijerland - The Netherlands

http://www.componentagro.nl

KvK: H24264020
0
Ronald
7/26/2013 11:36:09 AM
Ronald Hoek wrote:

> Not much anymore - they dropped .NET developement in Delphi from some
> version (in think is was 2009 - when unicode came into place)

The IDE uses .NET itself. All the refactoring functions, ErrorInsight,
MSBuild build/make-logic, Together, Audits&Metrics are written in C#
and the J#. This has nothing to do with that you can't compile a .NET
application anymore.

--
Andreas Hausladen
0

> The IDE uses .NET itself. All the refactoring functions, ErrorInsight,
> MSBuild build/make-logic, Together, Audits&Metrics are written in C#
> and the J#.

Did not knwo that - that's for noticing ;)

I though .NET stuf in the IDE was only there because of the .NET projects in
to early days ...

--
Regards,

Ronald Hoek

Application Developer
ComponentAgro B.V.
Oud-Beijerland - The Netherlands

http://www.componentagro.nl

KvK: H24264020
0
Ronald
7/26/2013 2:47:58 PM
"phil prost" wrote in message news:599700@forums.embarcadero.com...
> Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written in...Delphi +
> VCL. Is it always true ? Are there some informations about it ?
> I curious about editor because it is quite clean and efficient, and is
> 'customised' with some third party software like CnPack, do they have
> acces to sources or new functions are done via a plug in ?

There has always been a combination. The basic IDE, including things like
the Object Inspector, are Delphi. The actual code editor has always, AFAIK,
been written C++. Many newer features such as refactorings are .Net add-ins.

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?
> {quote:title=phil prost wrote:}{quote}
> Hello
> Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written in...Delphi + VCL. Is it always true ? Are there some informations about it ?
> I curious about editor because it is quite clean and efficient, and is 'customised' with some third party software like CnPack, do they have acces to sources or new functions are done via a plug in ?

Hello,

if you run an analysis e.g. for XE3 you will see there are a lot of different languages/techniques used.

Java: mostly for licensing stuff, if you use for example a license server

some managed assemblies, running under CLR 2.0 (not the fastest and secured CLR version ;) )
to mention some:
Borland.Build...
Borland.Delphi...
Borland.Studio...
Borland.Studio.ToolsAPI
Borland.VclRtl
Embarcadero.Modeling...
Embarcadero.SCI...
Embarcadero.Studio....
aso.

then there are some C++ dlls used

last but not least some Delphi bpls ;)

From my own experience, I tried to write a DebugVisualizer for x64 (Delphi) programming with help of the ToolsAPI, that was terrible!
Nearly no documentation. The only thing was: "please refer to the source code of the StringList DebugVisualizer example..." (x86)
No updates for debug visualizers for x64 programming.

If you look close into the ToolsAPI then you will realize why the IDE is so slow during debugging.

The only question that I have, if the embarcadero developers using there own (emb) developing environment, if so, why they are don't notice the lots of bugs and the lame debugging process?! (sorry)

best wishes
Silvio

Edited by: Silvio Bayer on Jul 26, 2013 8:23 AM
0
Silvio
7/26/2013 3:24:51 PM
"Ronald Hoek" <none> wrote in message news:599806@forums.embarcadero.com...

> I though .NET stuf in the IDE was only there because of the .NET projects
> in to early days ...

They are in .Net because it made no sense to reinvent perfectly good wheels.
Some of it was actually in Java originally and they had the ability to
translate that to .Net IL code much more efficiently, using a tool, than
rewriting the source in another language, Delphi or otherwise. So even if
they had not tried to target .Net with Delphi, there were perfectly good
reasons to take advantage of working products and plug them into the
existing IDE. It only requires the IDE load the .Net runtime in order to use
those features (something Visual Studio, and MS SQL Server both do as just
the first two examples that come to mind).

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?
Medicine." - Tim Minchin
0
Wayne
7/26/2013 8:00:17 PM
After serious thinking phil prost wrote :
> Hello
> Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written in...Delphi +
> VCL. Is it always true ? Are there some informations about it ?  I curious
> about editor because it is quite clean and efficient, and is 'customised'
> with some third party software like CnPack, do they have acces to sources or
> new functions are done via a plug in ?

I wonder if days which delphi has been rewritten by using firemonkey
for macos and windows will come. this is the only way to trust
firemonkey :p
0
Mehmet
7/26/2013 10:14:03 PM
phil prost wrote:

> Hello
> Some years ago it was clear (for me) that Delphi was written
> in...Delphi + VCL. Is it always true ? Are there some informations
> about it ?  I curious about editor because it is quite clean and
> efficient, and is 'customised' with some third party software like
> CnPack, do they have acces to sources or new functions are done via a
> plug in ?

The main IDE is written in Delphi using the VCL and a number of custom
components, but some parts are written in C++ or even one of the .NET
languages. The editor is, IIRC, written in C++.

Plugins like cnPack can use the OpenTools API (OTAPI) provided by the
IDE to achieve extra functionality. This provides access to many parts
of the IDE, including the editor.

--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)    http://www.teamb.com

Conway's Law: In any organization there will always be one person
who knows what is going on.  This person must be fired.
0
Rudy
7/27/2013 10:57:45 AM
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:

> Plugins like cnPack can use the OpenTools API (OTAPI) provided by the
> IDE to achieve extra functionality. This provides access to many parts
> of the IDE, including the editor.

Most of the more advanced plugins (this includes CnPack) circumvent the
very limited and sometimes buggy OpenTools API for most features and
hook directly into the IDE's code what requires a lot of research and
is fragile.

--
Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
>
> > Plugins like cnPack can use the OpenTools API (OTAPI) provided by
> > the IDE to achieve extra functionality. This provides access to
> > many parts of the IDE, including the editor.
>
> Most of the more advanced plugins (this includes CnPack) circumvent
> the very limited and sometimes buggy OpenTools API for most features
> and hook directly into the IDE's code what requires a lot of research
> and is fragile.

Ok, yes, probably. I agree that such an approach is very fragile.

--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)    http://www.teamb.com

"I had a lover's quarrel with the world."
 -- Robert Frost
0
Rudy

VS ide / delphi ide key map

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Hi, I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. Thanks.. Mehmet Fide wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax > highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. > > > Thanks.. See "RAD Studio 2010 vs. Visual Studio 2010" in non-technical group. -- Warm Regards, Lee ...

Delphi IDEs
Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 and later versions of Delphi? Pier Pier wrote: > Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? iOS support was added in XE4. Android support was added in Delphi XE5. > Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 an...

Delphi needs this: Designtime 'tasks' panes in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 [picture]
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_8bd4.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" --JivePart=_8bd4.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="WeNeedThis.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="WeNeedThis.jpg" iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAARcAAAEaCAYAAAA7TRMKAAAABHNCSVQICAgIfAhkiAAAAAlwSFlz AAAL1wAAC9cBJXXS8AAAABl0RVh0U29mdHdhcmUAd3d3Lmlua3NjYXBlLm9yZ5vuPBoAACAASURB VHic...

Delphi 7 IDE
Anyone know where I might go to get some information on a nasty "Debug process already running" message in Delphi 7 IDE? I can't compile any of my D7 projects. I uninstalled and reinstalled D7 but the same message pops up. XE3 is not affected by whatever is happening. All my XE3 programs compile and run fine. Are there any D7 forums left out there? My google search on the problem has yielded nothing useful. On which OS? Delphi 7 works very well under Vista/Seven/Eight if you install it not in C:\Program files (the default) but in a dedicated folder (I use C:\Progs) - d...

Delphi IDE version
We have a help, about form with various info. I already have the Application version on here. I would like to incluude the Delphi IDE version here also XE2 is our latest version. Rather than hard coding in the code, is there a runtme option that returns the Delphi IDE version that app was created with? "Larry Wall" wrote in message news:626381@forums.embarcadero.com... > We have a help, about form with various info. > I already have the Application version on here. > I would like to incluude the Delphi IDE version here also XE2 is our > latest version. > Rat...

what is the best Delphi IDE
Hello, I am making a pool here tell us what is the best Delphi IDE you work with ? isaac sam wrote: > Hello, > I am making a pool here Cool! I'll take care of the drinks. FWIW, reservations made by getting up very early and putting a towel on a deckchair will not be honoured (I'm sure some of our European guests here will recognize the system). -- Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) http://www.teamb.com "What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fil...

Delphi IDE crashes
Hello, I've got a problem with Delphi 2010. The ide sometimes crashes and crashes and crashes. I've opened a QN but they can't figure it out and redirected us to the http://support.embarcadero.com Page. But we dont have a support agreement with Embarcadero so I ask here. Here is the link to the QN: http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=89563 In short words: The IDE crashes during an oepration like CTRL + Mouseclick at a variable or something like that. If the ide is crashed you can simply open delphi again and again and agian. And it will crashes evertime you use ...

Delphi 7 IDE
Sorry, I tried to post this to the IDE group, but got "posting not allowed" error. When starting Delphi 7 (all patches applied), with the load last project option, only the object inspector, object treeview, code window and form show up. The IDE / component bar are not opened. Anyone have this happen before? Is there a fix for it? Nothing found with google or newsgroup search, sorry. Charles Collins wrote: > When starting Delphi 7 (all patches applied), with the load last > project option, only the object inspector, object treeview, code > window and ...

Delphi 2006
Hello all, I'm using BDS 2006 Pro, Win XP Pro SP2. I'm having a problem in Delphi 2006 (Win32). A couple of months ago, Delphi hung and I killed the process. Since then, when I open a project, the Object Inspector and Tool palette do not show unless I select them from the View menu. I have to do this every time I open Delphi. Will repairing the installation fix this problem? If I repair the installation, will I have to reinstall all of my third party components? Thanks, David My IDE was defaulting to Debug Layout instead of Default Layout. I knew I had seen...

Delphi IDE on Linux / WINE
Hi, I took some time to test Delphi XE3 and XE7 on Linux / WINE and was surprised that it works (with some issues). The installation is also not straight forward, but I have written a How-to on appdb.winehq.org: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32440 (see the Installation How-to at the bottom) I'm going to test for all Delphi versions that I have access to in the near future. You can see the debugger in action here: :) http://postimg.org/image/o77zhkadn/ -- Regards Jens Mühlenhoff - ACCURATA Informationssysteme GmbH ...

Web resources about - How is made the Delphi IDE ? - embarcadero.delphi.ide