Executable size grows drastically in XE5 comparing with Delphi 2006

I have simple project (edt fields, check boxes, button). I compiled project in Delphi XE5 and found out that exe size grows 2.5 times!

Sizes on the disk:
Delphi 2006 - 868 KB (888,832 bytes)
Delphi XE5  - 1.98 MB (2,084,864 bytes)

Can anybody give me explanation why it grows so much?

Thanks in advance, Fred
0
Fred

Fred Fonar wrote:
> I have simple project (edt fields, check boxes, button). I compiled project in Delphi XE5 and found out that exe size grows 2.5 times!
>
> Sizes on the disk:
> Delphi 2006 - 868 KB (888,832 bytes)
> Delphi XE5  - 1.98 MB (2,084,864 bytes)
>
> Can anybody give me explanation why it grows so much?
>
> Thanks in advance, Fred

String resources take up 2x's the size since you are moving from Ansi to
Unicode, enhanced RTTI and generics also have grown things.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
Jeff wrote:

> String resources take up 2x's the size since you are moving
> from Ansi to Unicode

String *resources* (Delphi's 'resourcestring' type) have always been Unicode,
even in earlier versions.  You might be thinking of string *literals* instead,
which yes, would grow in size within the executable's read-only memory.
Runtime-generated Unicode strings do not affect the executable's size.

DFMs in modern versions store Unicode strings in UTF-8 if it is more compact
than UTF-16 (which it usually is).

> enhanced RTTI and generics also have grown things.

That is where a bulk of the growth is more likely to be coming from.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Delphi 2006 product activation (re end of support for Delphi 2006) [Edit]
Apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I recently got an email informing me support for Delphi 2006 was going to be dropped. I have mostly converted to Delphi 2009 now, but I'll still be able to activate my copy of 2006 on any future installation right? Edited by: David Howes on Jul 18, 2009 9:53 AM David Howes wrote: > Apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I recently got an email informing me support for Delphi 2006 was going to be dropped. I have mostly converted to Delphi 2009 now, but I'll still be able to acti...

Converting from Delphi 2005 to Delphi XE5
I have developed a number of Windows applications in Delphi 2005. I recently purchased Delphi XE5. I have started by trying to compile an existing 2005 application. I am getting a 7 errors about FMXTeeEditor. [dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'FMXTee.Editor.Brush.fmx' Not able to find a solution to this. Any help greatly appreciated. Did you open every form before compiling? The old forms get updated with new properties when they are opened. I would make a copy of the old project before doing any of this. maybe you have links to the older tchart files....i.e its not usi...

delphi 2006 code in delphi 2010

Size of Delphi executable
How can Delphi executables be made smaller? Consider the following. Create a new VCL app. Add a Label to the form. Compile. Sizes for the executable are as follows. Delphi 5 298,496 XE3 Debug 10,911,711 XE3 Release 2,283,520 Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here. What is going on? How can it be minimized? Alan wrote: > Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here. What is going on? This has been discussed over and over and over with every new version that gets released. Please search through past discussions for details. -- ...

Delphi 2010 and Delphi XE5 shuts down when opening projects
Over the last week I have found it increasingly difficult to open projects. Even really simple projects, some more complex. For example if start Delphi 2010 Enterprise Edition. I see the list of recently opened projects. I then click on a simple existing project, I get a hour glass for about a second and then Delphi IDE has gone. In the windows task manager, there are now no applications running. I have not changed the installation, being using Delphi 2010 enterprise on the same computer for a few years. I'm not a full time developer, but do internal development of our compa...

Convert a Delphi 2006 WinForms project to Delphi Prism
How can I go about doing this short of recreating the project and transfering code? Just wondering what to expect if we go to Prism. Thanks. -- Don Gollahon Don Gollahon wrote: > How can I go about doing this short of recreating the project and > transfering code? > > Just wondering what to expect if we go to Prism. > > Thanks. Hi Don, Have you checked out the migration tool Oxidizer ? http://prismwiki.codegear.com/en/Oxidizer Cheers, John -- John Moshakis wrote: >Don Gollahon wrote: > >> How can I go about doing th...

Debugging DLL compiled with Delphi 7 in Delphi XE5
Dear Sirs/Madams, We are considering changing from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE5. Our project consists of a dll and an .exe file. I have begun converting the .exe file to Delphi XE5 and have successfully accessed the DLL compiled with Delphi 7. When I debug the DLL (using the "run parameters" and changing "host application" to the .exe file) in Delphi 7 I can set breakpoints etc. and they are triggered. However, when I attempt to debug the project in XE5, I get the following message: Module Load: xxx.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $015A0000. Process xxx.exe (2928) ...

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Delphi 2006: IDE bug
My Delphi 2006 seems to have lost its internal reference between some .pas source files and the system which keeps track of where it all is. Stuff like 'Find Declaration' ends up in the wrong place in the file, and when I put my mouse cursor over a statement, instead of showing information about it, the computer goes into a loop and CPU goes to 100%. How can I force Delphi to refresh its internal indexing system of the source files? I cannot find where it keeps it. Thanks, Bart New Zealand Bart Kindt wrote: > My Delphi 2006 seems to have lost its internal reference betw...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2010 and Delphi XE5 shuts down when opening projects
Over the last week I have found it increasingly difficult to open projects. Even really simple projects, some more complex. For example if start Delphi 2010 Enterprise Edition. I see the list of recently opened projects. I then click on a simple existing project, I get a hour glass for about a second and then Delphi IDE has gone. In the windows task manager, there are now no applications running. I have not changed the installation, being using Delphi 2010 enterprise on the same computer for a few years. I'm not a full time developer, but do internal development of our compa...

Web resources about - Executable size grows drastically in XE5 comparing with Delphi 2006 - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Study: Nine days of sugar restrictions drastically improves obese children's health
Doctors say a new study provides 'the strongest evidence to date' that sugar causes health risks, regardless of whether it increases calorie ...

Lighter-than-air material could drastically change tech
Lighter-than-air material could drastically change tech

Quebec seniors left hanging after services drastically cut
Seniors’ centres and services are being cut to the bone at CLSC René-Cassin in Montreal's west end, leaving few options for the elderly living ...

Model Slams Swimwear Label For Drastically Photoshopping Her Body
... fails. Sigh. Australian model Meaghan Kausman has blasted swimwear label Fella Swim after the company Photoshopped a photo of her that drastically ...

California farmers agree to drastically cut water use - 12 News
California farmers who hold some of the state's strongest water rights avoided the threat of deep mandatory cuts when the state accepted their ...

Facebook: 'Drastically Simplified' Privacy Controls Coming Wednesday
Executive says simpler options to arrive midweek

Study Shows 'On-Demand' PrEP to Drastically Reduce HIV Infection
A French study has upended a widely held belief that PrEP, when taken only before sex, is ineffective in HIV prevention.

Diabetes complications drastically drop even as prevalence rises
Better treatments and insurance policies have led to 60 percent drops in the rates of heart attack and strokes

Amazon and Apple: Two Tablet Makers, Two Drastically Different Fourth Quarters
... Simply put, Apple is a hardware-maker and Amazon is a retailer. One has very high margins and the other doesn’t, resulting in two drastically ...

ABC: Search area for Flight 370 drastically narrowed to area off of Australia
ABC is reporting that the search area for missing Malaysia Air Flight 370 has been drastically cut down to an area the size of Arizona, located ...