Delphi XE4 LIbrary Path - Delete Invalid Paths deletes critical data!

The Library path editing dialog in Tools Options has for some time now had a button called "Delete Invalid Paths".

screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Wzn7Ib8.png

The first item in this library path, in Delphi XE4, due to it being a multi-platform tool, is now more complex than before, it looks like this:

$(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release

However, it appears $(Platform) does not resolve within the context of this dialog box and so it appears grayed out. When users use the Delete Invalid Paths button to remove invalid paths (paths that do not exist), this will delete the most important path in the library path. No VCL application will be able to find its resource or DCU files anymore.

This is a pretty serious bug.  I'm posting it here rather than on QC because it doesn't seem to me that QualityCentral gets looked at much. nevertheless, I will post it on QC eventually.

This problem frustrated several developers where I work, because the presence of extra folders in the library path sometimes confuses the compiler, and removing those malformed items (by using Delete Invalid Paths) was helpful to them, but it also kills important information that should ALWAYS be in the library path.

In my humble opinion you should just take this whole  $(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release part OUT of the Library path in the registry permanently, and make it implicit, or else have a new $(AUTOBDSLIB) environment variable that is easy to remember and which this dialog box does not ever permit to be removed.

Warren
2
Warren

FWIW -

<Warren Postma> wrote in message news:607614@forums.embarcadero.com...
> However, it appears $(Platform) does not resolve within the context of
> this dialog box and so it appears grayed out. When users use the Delete
> Invalid Paths button to remove invalid paths (paths that do not exist),
> this will delete the most important path in the library path. No VCL
> application will be able to find its resource or DCU files anymore.

I believe you, and yours, are not the first to encounter this (back to at
least XE2):
https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=61701
0
david
8/27/2013 3:01:33 PM
Warren Postma wrote:

> In my humble opinion you should just take this whole
> $(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release part OUT

Or install the latest IDE Fix Pack which fixes the bug by using the
platform that is selected in the option dialog, so it knows how to
replace the $(Platform) macro ;-)

--
Andreas Hausladen
0
Am 27.08.2013 17:54, schrieb Andreas Hausladen:
> Or install the latest IDE Fix Pack

This cannot be said often enough.

--
Uwe Raabe
Embarcadero MVP

Library paths, search paths and Delphi IDE...
Hi, I have been using D7 up to now. Usually to add a component package, all I do is add the source dir to the Library path, compile the dpk and install. Now to work with more than 1 IDE I understand that the dcu's (and bpls/dcps) need to go into their own folder for each IDE. So for example to install Abbrevia into D7 ide, I output the dcu's into a folder: C:\Delphi\Components\Zip\Abbrevia 5.0\packages\Delphi 7\dcu\D7 and also add this to the Library path. (The bpls will go into Projects\BPL). OK. Now I want to set a breakpoint somewhere in the source code of Abb...

XE4 Invalid Paths in Library Path Options $Platform
I have this path greyed out $(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release - The project is not compiling correctly with lots of 'File not found errors' It has been working ? Mark Mark Stoker wrote: > I have this path greyed out $(BDSLIB)\$(Platform)\release - The project is not compiling correctly with lots of 'File not found errors' > > It has been working ? > > Mark Do not hit the button. This button has been broken ever since they introduce multiple platforms. Even though the IDE knows what platform you are configuring things for ... it does not set th...

Delphi Library Path
Hi, I´m upgrading to D2010 and I found this strange problem. I have a pack with some applications that shares the same library files, the library files are organized in a lot of different folders, and to list all folders in the search path of all applications is a PITA, so, since older delphi versions I created an environment variable called $(APPLIB_PATH), where I specificy all folders separated by ";", so, in all applications I just have to specify $(APPLIB_PATH) and all directories will be located from the search path. The problem is that this variable is TOO long...

invalid path or file name-
Can anyone advise why I get the below message when I attempt to use a connection string to another box other then the one the app is on?    <add name="ConnectionString3" connectionString="Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=\\iridium\lmca$"      providerName="System.Data.OleDb" /> THIS ONE BOMBS OUT    <add name="ConnectionString4" connectionString="Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=\\server4\csu"      providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />Server Erro...

The Path, The Path!
In an NT OS (Win2K), from where does the Command Line path list come from? -- Have a Nice Day, 'cause it beats having a Bad Day! Tim Daniel, USMC(Ret) - Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine. Hello Tim Daniel, > In an NT OS (Win2K), from where does the Command Line path list come > from? Try: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment -- Paul S. Nofs >> In an NT OS (Win2K), from where does the Command Line path list come >> from? >Try: >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\S...

Delphi 2009 Vista
Hello, I have Delphi 2009 running on Vista. I have installed some 3rd-party software for Delphi and it updated the Library - Win32 paths with the following: C:\Program Files\TatukGIS\DK9\Source C:\Program Files\TatukGIS\DK9\Source\D2009 But sample programs which use the TatukGIS units and a $Include file fail to find the include file and the units. Is there something else I have to do to get these files in the search path? Thanks in advance, Hardee Mahoney Washington, DC Hardee Mahoney wrote: > Hello, > > I have Delphi 2009 running on Vista. I have ...

delphi compile, debug library path problem
Under xe5 I created a project Project1, there are two files, Unit1 in 'Unit1.pas' {Form1}, Unit2 in 'test \ Unit2.pas', which wrote exactly the same code. library path add "E:\SourceCode\delphi\Common\Source", Source files include MyAccess.pas, which has a function "GridAdd", I copied the MyAccess_sub.pas renamed MyAccess.pas,and then added it to the project Project1 ,I placed it under Unit1.pas catalog.then GridAdd function in this file rewritten, and then add MyAccess MyAccess_sub this two references in the Unit1 and Unit2 uses , following the call,...

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Why not improve Uninstall components and delphi library path? [Edit]
I think the user experience is the most important. 1.Many people and I have the same feeling,If uninstall DevExpress Components with Delphi BDE,it is very trouble! You must Click Button "remove" Almost 100 times! I think Delphi IDE must provider Multi-selecte the design packages (CheckListBox) and Remove Components Only one times! And Design package must group different components,so it remove components easily and it Look better! Maybe you use virtual tree or ListView(Grouping ) replace with checklistbox(design packages)! 2. if you install DevExpress...

IDE's Win32 Library path and project's Search Path: Did something change between D2007 and D2007?
Hi guys, I noticed something that Delphi seems to do different between versions 2005/2006 on one side, and 2007/2009 on the other, but I'm not sure whether it's in fact me who's doing something wrong :-). Together with my component library I distribute some example programs that illustrate their use. The installer adds the installation directories of the dcp/dcu directories of my components to the Win32 Library Path in Delphi's options. This worked fine for 2005/2006, in the project options of the example programs I didn't need to specify any of these i...

"The system cannot find the path specified" using delphi xml data binding wizard
I am trying to create a binding for an xml file. As far as I can tell it is in the correct encoding and does not refer to any other files. It displays quite happily in IE8, EditPad Pro and the JVSimpleXML. Trying to create the binding I get the above error message with "Line:0". I have had the same message with other files, including xsd files. If I try to open the file from the explorer (or Explorer2 which I use by preference), I get a message "Windows cannot find the file...." before it displays in EditPad Pro. I am running Vista and wonder if it is a...

Delphi Search Path
Hi, I´m upgrading to D2010 and I found this strange problem. I have a pack with some applications that shares the same library files, the library files are organized in a lot of different folders, and to list all folders in the search path of all applications is a PITA, so, since older delphi versions I created an environment variable called $(APPLIB_PATH), where I specificy all folders separated by ";", so, in all applications I just have to specify $(APPLIB_PATH) and all directories will be located from the search path. The problem is that this variable is TO...

parent path and children paths for my virtual path
In my web.config I have key for some virtual path on my web site.     <appSettings>        <add key="myTestPath" value="/uploads/cache/job"/>    </appSettings>This virtual path "/uploads/cache/job" exists on my web site.I read this key:string strVirtPath = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["myTestPath"];How  can I receive parent virtual path and all children virtual paths for strVirtPath ? Try this: string parentDirectory = System.IO.Directory.GetParent(Server.Ma...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Web resources about - Delphi XE4 LIbrary Path - Delete Invalid Paths deletes critical data! - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Critical point (thermodynamics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In physical chemistry , thermodynamics , chemistry and condensed matter physics , a critical point , also known as a critical state , occurs ...

Swimmers in critical condition after being rescued at Cape Woolamai
Two people are critical and one serious after seven swimmers were rescued from the ocean in Cape Woolamai, Phillip Island on Sunday evening. ...

Girl, 11, critical after car crashes off Kings Highway
An 11-year-old girl remains in a critical condition in Canberra Hospital.

One toddler dead and another critical after separate Sydney backyard pool incidents - DailyTelegraph ...
A MOTHER is grieving after losing her baby boy to a tragic backyard incident in Western Sydney yesterday.

One toddler dead and another critical after separate Sydney backyard pool incidents
... a backyard pool in Sydney’s south and collapsing yesterday evening. An hour later, in a separate incident, another toddler was left in a critical ...

Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google: 2016 will be critical for internet giants
Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Google (sorry Alphabet): So popular were these stocks in 2015 that there was even an acronym for investing in them. ...

Google security researcher excoriates TrendMicro for critical AV defects
Antivirus provider TrendMicro has released an emergency product update that fixes critical defects that allow attackers to execute malicious ...

Joe Sestak A Critical Thinker Who's Never Going To Turn Into A Schumercrat
A Schumercrat, a Democrat and a Republican When I first met Joe Sestak, he was overcoming the opposition of DCCC chairman Rahm Emanuel to his ...

IDG Contributor Network: 6 critical updates for January Patch Tuesday
Microsoft has started the year with a truly unusual Patch Tuesday. There are nine updates for January, with six rated as critical and the remaining ...

Economic Recovery Leaves One Critical Industry Behind
'This loss was equal to about 14.3 percent of all jobs in the industry'