Delphi needs this: Designtime 'tasks' panes in MS Visual Web Developer 2008

I hate to say this, but Designtime tools in Delphi haven't improved
since Delphi 3.0.  We have a few "double click on me" component wizards
(getting rarer and rarer to even use them though), and we mostly rely on
drop-it-on-and-navigate-an-increasingly-huge-array-of-properties-in-the-inspector
technique that just gets clunkier and clunkier over time.

I installed MS Visual Web Developer 2008 and was totally blown away by
their "tasks" approach. Create a new ASP.net web application project
('solutions' they call them). Drop on a button, drop on a grid.  Click
the little expand-arrow and you get the most common tasks right there in
front of you.   Brilliant.

We need these kinds of "evolutionary steps forward" in the Delphi/VCL
component designtime world.  Designtime experience has been relatively
static for Delphi users for ten years.  We're not anywhere near "ahead
of the game" at this point.

[see attachments folder for picture]

Warren
0
Warren

> {quote:title=Warren Postma wrote:}{quote}
> I hate to say this, but Designtime tools in Delphi haven't improved
> since Delphi 3.0.  We have a few "double click on me" component wizards
> (getting rarer and rarer to even use them though), and we mostly rely on
> drop-it-on-and-navigate-an-increasingly-huge-array-of-properties-in-the-inspector
> technique that just gets clunkier and clunkier over time.
>
> I installed MS Visual Web Developer 2008 and was totally blown away by
> their "tasks" approach. Create a new ASP.net web application project
> ('solutions' they call them). Drop on a button, drop on a grid.  Click
> the little expand-arrow and you get the most common tasks right there in
> front of you.   Brilliant.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. The last thing Delphi needs is more "make it like VB" types of stuff.

I mean, come on. If you're a developer, you know darned well what the most common tasks are, and don't need the IDE to hold your hand. At least I don't, anyway.

> We need these kinds of "evolutionary steps forward" in the Delphi/VCL
> component designtime world.  Designtime experience has been relatively
> static for Delphi users for ten years.  We're not anywhere near "ahead
> of the game" at this point.

Again, I have to disagree. We're not only ahead of the game, for Win32 development Delphi *is* the game. Hands down. Pointing to a web page design software and trying to compare is like saying "FireFox isn't as good as PowerPoint" - apples and oranges.
0
Ken
10/29/2008 2:45:12 PM
Ken White wrote:
> I mean, come on. If you're a developer, you know darned well what the most common tasks are, and don't need the IDE to hold your hand. At least I don't, anyway.

You're right. You don't. Neither do I. But unless Delphi market share
increases, the product is a dead end.  Driving new users to adopt
Delphi, to see how great it is requires "shiny" features.

Warren
10/30/2008 4:47:44 PM
> {quote:title=Warren Postma wrote:}{quote}
> You're right. You don't. Neither do I. But unless Delphi market share
> increases, the product is a dead end.  Driving new users to adopt
> Delphi, to see how great it is requires "shiny" features.

Again, I have to disagree. What Delphi needs is *useful* new features, not "shiny" features.
0
Ken
10/30/2008 6:05:15 PM
I just ran into this old JEDI project: JEDI Experts
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jexperts/
And from the code in the download it looks like that Michael Beck had
this idea some years ago.

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
0
Andreas

Delphi needs this: Designtime 'tasks' panes in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 [picture]
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_8bd4.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" --JivePart=_8bd4.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="WeNeedThis.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="WeNeedThis.jpg" iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAARcAAAEaCAYAAAA7TRMKAAAABHNCSVQICAgIfAhkiAAAAAlwSFlz AAAL1wAAC9cBJXXS8AAAABl0RVh0U29mdHdhcmUAd3d3Lmlua3NjYXBlLm9yZ5vuPBoAACAASURB VHic...

''''''''''''''''''''

Need desperate help with installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express ''ENU has encountered''
Im gonna cut right to the chase i want to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition but every time i try to install it i get a message saying:  ''Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 express Edition - ENU has encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly.''   Then i get another message saying what it did not manage to install Setup could not install the following component:Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5   Ive done some ''research'' around the internet and it seems this problem occurs a bit. I have to admit im kinda noob...

Published 'My First Website' from Introduction to Visual Web Developer 2008 Express ...Runtime error
I followed the introduction video and successfully compiled the 'My First Website' with the pictures and basic text control. After the build it ran fine locally. I changed the debugging options as suggested in the video and recompiled. I then copied the website using a shared drive (file system copy) to a Windows 2003 server running IIS with ASP.net 3.5. The result was Server error in '/' Application Runtime error. After searching this error I found many possible fixes, reg edits etc. I then published the website to a windows 2000 server, it worked except for the text...

'''''

Third party Delphi component change IDE's font to 'system' typeface [Edit]
Hi I tried to use a third party component http://code.google.com/p/delph-sciter/ after I registered the component and tried to put it onto a form. most part of delphi IDE's font changed to 'system' typeface. I searched over web. looks like some person has the same issue before: http://groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.ide/browse_thread/thread/71849ab73ec37ed2/e4c0cbac0487e919?hl=en&q=delphi+IDE+font&pli=1 Could anyone help this issue? Edited by: John Liuo on Apr 30, 2010 5:45 PM John Liuo wrote: > Hi > I tried to use a third party compo...

C++ Replacement or similar keywords for 'is' and 'as' Delphi keys.
hello there, i am a newcomer to C++ Builder so excuse any mistake. My question is (maybe a stupid question) My first language is Delphi and i usually use this type of sentences: if Sender is TEdit then (Sender as TEdit).Text := ''; A replacement or similar keywords exist for C++ Builder? Thanks in advance. Am 27.09.2010 13:37, schrieb finneas finn: > A replacement or similar keywords exist for C++ Builder? TEdit * Edit; if ((Edit = dynamic_cast<TEdit*>(Sender)) != 0) { Edit->Text = ""; } Christian Il Mon, 27 Sep 2010 04:37:55 -0...

No 'ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site' template for 'New Web Site' in VS 2008?
Many ASP.NET AJAX books and websites showed a 'New Web Site' Template, ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site.However, in my VS 2008 I can not find any ASP.NET AJAX related templates.  Of course, I already have an'AJAX Extensions'  tab.Is this the difference between VS 2005 and VS 2008?  We need to install ASP.NET AJAX in VS 2005 to have anASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site template; however, in VS 2008 we don't need to install ASP.NET AJAX, thereforethere is no 'ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site' template.  Am I correct?  In 2008 all websi...

Need comparision of 'MS Sharepoint Server' and 'Community Server'
Need comparision of 'MS Sharepoint Server' and 'Community Server' MSSS is generic content managment system where CS is specific.Everything is possible!...

'Delphi Developer Certification Test' comments
I've just taken the freebie 'Delphi Developer Certification Test'. Two questions in, and the external testing website stopped responding, so I went to make my dinner. Returning half an hour later to idley try again, it then both came back up and reported said half an hour to have been counted, with the clock ticking. Dashing over to put the food on a plate, I then completed the test with a bit of time to spare, getting 3 'wrong'. Overall it seemed fine, though I have some comments regarding a few individual questions (especially one that I seem to have got 'right...

Working in MS visual Web editor: I'm trying to display an image to an 'Image' box and i cant modify the Image1.imageurl prop.
here's what i've got so far i dragged in a 'Button' and an 'Image' from the toolbox on the left, and dropped it into the "default.aspx" main whitespace.. i added this code to the button  Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.ClickDim pic As New Image Image1 = pic Image1.ImageUrl = "~/Images/pic1.jpg"MsgBox(Image1.ImageUrl, MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly, "title") End Sub it wont let me directly edit image1.imageurl unless i set it to a new image i get an error saying that it ha...

How to Dist Between 'Web Forms' and 'HTML' Controls in VS 2005 IDE
I am using ASP.NET 2.  In books and articles, authors refer to and distinguish between 'Web' controls and 'HTML' controls.In the actual Vis Studio IDE toolbox for web forms,  I have one list of controls called 'Standard' containing controls like 'Button' etc. There is also a list labelled 'HTML'  with things like 'INPUT (button)' . There are a few other lists, but none labelled 'Web'. Where are the 'Web' controls found and what are they called in the IDE?  Same for the 'HTML' controls.   I see references in books to 'HTML' controls called 'TextBox', but I d...

Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express
 Hey everyone. I'm once again having trouble with my install of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services on my Vista Home Premium notebook.  VWD 2008 can't seem to connect to my databases in SQL Server 2008. I use the Connect to Database feature in the Tools menu and select Microsoft SQL Server. When I get to the Add Connection window I hit refresh next to the Server name drop-down but nothing shows up. I'm completely baffled by this. What do you think is the cause of this? What are the steps i need to take to resolve this i...

new user question: Delphi equivalents to BP 'readkey' and 'keypress'
Hi All, Sorry if this is the wrong forum. In the documentations section I already asked for general advice, so let's keep that out to the extent practicable - you be the judge. Background: a relatively experienced Borland Pascal programmer for DOS and DPMI, PhD in math, trying to make a comeback to what once was a dear hobby (game programming) and in need of doing also some scientific programming. A retailer said that CodeGear Delphi is my best bet, so hear I am. Problem: As a first exercise for myself (trying to get the hang of the basics of the IDE) I took up a project of portin...

Web resources about - Delphi needs this: Designtime 'tasks' panes in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 - embarcadero.delphi.ide