Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit]

I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition.

Since four days Delphi will not start anymore.
When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds.
No error or warning message is given.

I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution:
- start delphi in comptability mode
- start delphi as administrator
- give full right on the installation directory of delphi
- disable UAC
- restore windows to the previous restore point

None of these helped. I've even tried to reinstall Delphi, but i get the same problem with the install.exe from the distribution disk.

Only when I start Windows in safe mode Delphi will run! But since I have only limited functionality available in safe mode, I can hardly test my application.

Hope someone can help me, please.

Robert

Edited by: robert mittend on Sep 28, 2013 1:48 AM
0
Robert

robert mittend schrieb:

> None of these helped. I've even tried to reinstall Delphi, but i get
> the same problem with the install.exe from the distribution disk.

Most probably a virus or anti-virus issue. Disable or remove your AV
software and try again.

DoDi
0
Hans
9/28/2013 1:19:27 PM
Nope, i turned off both anti virus and firewall but no luck. Still same behavior.
Life is no fun without Delphi:(

> Most probably a virus or anti-virus issue. Disable or remove your AV
> software and try again.
>
> DoDi

Edited by: robert mittend on Sep 28, 2013 7:58 AM
0
Robert
9/28/2013 4:08:07 PM
> {quote:title=robert mittend wrote:}{quote}
> I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition.

I do not have any problem with my official edition of Delphi 7.

Your problem comes probably from a broken package.

Search for the "Delphi Distiller" tool on the web, then disable all packages before startup.
Then enable packages one after the other, to find out which one is faulty.
0
Arnaud
9/28/2013 4:32:04 PM
robert mittend schrieb:
> Nope, i turned off both anti virus and firewall but no luck. Still same behavior.
> Life is no fun without Delphi:(

Some AV software must be uninstalled, turning it off is not always
sufficient.

BTW using a VM for development allows for much easier rollback to a
working installation.

DoDi
0
Hans
Thanks, but no luck: I've downloaded delphi distiller 1.85, disabled all packages, started Delphi: still same problem.
Note that also starting install.exe from the oiriginal and official installation cd shows the same behavior: i see the hourglass for 2 seconds and then it disappears without any message.

Kind regards,
Robert

> I do not have any problem with my official edition of Delphi 7.
>
> Your problem comes probably from a broken package.
>
> Search for the "Delphi Distiller" tool on the web, then disable all packages before startup.
> Then enable packages one after the other, to find out which one is faulty.
0
Robert
9/28/2013 7:09:12 PM
I tried (fully uninstall my AV and firewall software and reboot) but no luck:(

> Some AV software must be uninstalled, turning it off is not always
> sufficient.

Edited by: robert mittend on Sep 28, 2013 1:51 PM
0
Robert
9/28/2013 8:52:13 PM
robert mittend wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks, but no luck: I've downloaded delphi distiller 1.85, disabled all packages, started Delphi: still same problem.
> Note that also starting install.exe from the oiriginal and official installation cd shows the same behavior: i see the hourglass for 2 seconds and then it disappears without any message.
>
> Kind regards,
> Robert
>

> > I do not have any problem with my official edition of Delphi 7.
> >
> > Your problem comes probably from a broken package.
> >
> > Search for the "Delphi Distiller" tool on the web, then disable all packages before startup.
> > Then enable packages one after the other, to find out which one is faulty.

Hm.  This is Win7 Home.  "Install" is one of those names that falls under the looming sladow of UAC.
Try going to the "install" file in Windows Explorer, right clicking it and choosing "run as administrator".
You might have to also do something similar with Delphi (but Delphi installation is notoriously complex, if anything at all goes wrong.)

--
don't Tred on me
0
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 01:48:41 -0700, robert mittend <> wrote:

>I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition.

I do not know if the Home versus a Professional version of Win7 (like
I have) is an issue. But I have Win7X64SP1 Pro and I have Delphi7
running quite happily. Just checked before writing this.

>Since four days Delphi will not start anymore.
I guess you have applied some Microsoft updates and then the behaviour
started, right?
Note that I installed everything new yesterday and I still can run
Delphi7.

>- restore windows to the previous restore point

Was this before the last Windows Update was applied?

Anyway, here is what I always do when installing Delphi on my Windows
machines (especially the older versions like Delphi7):

1) I start the installer as admin

2) IMPORTANT!: I do not allow any of the installed files to go into
the Program Files hierarchy! I always set a top dir for the installer
as C:\Programs\Borland (or Codegear or Embarcadero depending on
version).
Note that this is set for ALL files including "Common fiiles"!

3) When all is done I always start Delphi as admin the very first time
when I have to register and set up my environment etc.

4) Later on I just run D7 as normal, no fancy as admin stuff, except
when I work on COM objects, then Delphi must be run as admin in order
to properly register the servers i develop.

5) Once the com servers have been installed I can revert to running
Delphi as user.

All of this is caused by the UAC system of Win7.

Virtualization.
Like someone else pointed out, you can also create a virtual machine
running XP-Pro and install Delphi there, that would make the
development IDE less prone to surprises caused by some new software or
Windoiws functionality.
--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

I've alread tried starting delphi and the install.exe as administartor and in compatible mode. But this gave the same result: i see the hourglass for a while and a process entry in the Task Manager but this both disappear after some seconds.

I worked for more than one year with Delphi 7 on my new Windows 7 PC without problems until last week. I don't know the cause. Windows and AV software updates are installed automatically on my PC, that's why I recoverded to a point before the problems. But without result. But most likely it is a compatability problem.

I am now in the progress of installing a Virtual Machine, as you and Mr Dietrich were suggesting. It looks hopeful, but it will take some time for me to complete setting up everything (VMWare, Windows XP and Delphi 7 are running now;), setting up libraries and my projects are pending as next step).

Kind regards,
Robert

> {quote:title=Bo Berglund wrote:}{quote}
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 01:48:41 -0700, robert mittend <> wrote:
>
> >I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition.
>
> I do not know if the Home versus a Professional version of Win7 (like
> I have) is an issue. But I have Win7X64SP1 Pro and I have Delphi7
> running quite happily. Just checked before writing this.
>
> >Since four days Delphi will not start anymore.
> I guess you have applied some Microsoft updates and then the behaviour
> started, right?
> Note that I installed everything new yesterday and I still can run
> Delphi7.
>
> >- restore windows to the previous restore point
>
> Was this before the last Windows Update was applied?
>
> Anyway, here is what I always do when installing Delphi on my Windows
> machines (especially the older versions like Delphi7):
>
> 1) I start the installer as admin
>
> 2) IMPORTANT!: I do not allow any of the installed files to go into
> the Program Files hierarchy! I always set a top dir for the installer
> as C:\Programs\Borland (or Codegear or Embarcadero depending on
> version).
> Note that this is set for ALL files including "Common fiiles"!
>
> 3) When all is done I always start Delphi as admin the very first time
> when I have to register and set up my environment etc.
>
> 4) Later on I just run D7 as normal, no fancy as admin stuff, except
> when I work on COM objects, then Delphi must be run as admin in order
> to properly register the servers i develop.
>
> 5) Once the com servers have been installed I can revert to running
> Delphi as user.
>
> All of this is caused by the UAC system of Win7.
>
> Virtualization.
> Like someone else pointed out, you can also create a virtual machine
> running XP-Pro and install Delphi there, that would make the
> development IDE less prone to surprises caused by some new software or
> Windoiws functionality.
> --
>
> Bo Berglund
> Developer in Sweden
0
Robert
9/29/2013 7:01:08 PM
robert mittend schrieb:

> I am now in the progress of installing a Virtual Machine, as you and
> Mr Dietrich were suggesting. It looks hopeful, but it will take some
> time for me to complete setting up everything (VMWare, Windows XP and
> Delphi 7 are running now;), setting up libraries and my projects are
> pending as next step).

Don't forget to create snapshots or backups of the VM, so that you can
get back to an earlier state when something goes wrong. E.g. I have an
snapshot with a configured OS and all useful helpers, upon which I can
install any Delphi version later, then one with D7 installed, and
possibly more for various projects with added packages.

My projects reside on independent disks, so that I can switch projects
by exchanging the project disk, and don't loose anything when the VM has
to be restored to an earlier snapshot.

DoDi
0
Hans
9/29/2013 8:53:23 PM
Conclusion: My original problem is not solved. Delphi 7 is still not running on Windows 7 as it did until last week.
But thanks to helpful hints regarding using a virtual machine, I'm now up and running again (using VirtualBox with snapshots under Windows XP).
Thanks all. I will mark this question as anwered.

> {quote:title=robert mittend wrote:}{quote}
> I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition.
>
> Since four days Delphi will not start anymore.
> When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds.
> No error or warning message is given.
>
> I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution:
> - start delphi in comptability mode
> - start delphi as administrator
> - give full right on the installation directory of delphi
> - disable UAC
> - restore windows to the previous restore point
>
> None of these helped. I've even tried to reinstall Delphi, but i get the same problem with the install.exe from the distribution disk.
>
> Only when I start Windows in safe mode Delphi will run! But since I have only limited functionality available in safe mode, I can hardly test my application.
>
> Hope someone can help me, please.
>
> Robert
>
> Edited by: robert mittend on Sep 28, 2013 1:48 AM
0
Robert
10/1/2013 9:56:39 PM
Conclusion: My original problem is not solved. Delphi 7 is still not running on Windows 7 as it did until last week.
But thanks to helpful hints regarding using a virtual machine, I'm now up and running again (using VirtualBox with snapshots under Windows XP).
Thanks all. I will mark this question as anwered.
0
Robert

Web resources about - Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.ide