Delphi 5 IDE Crashes on startup

i came into work today to find that Delphi32.exe crashes with an access
violation (0xC0000005) on startup.

A binary diff of my Delphi installation with a colleagues finds no
differences in delphi32.exe

Debugging delphi32.exe finds it crashes while inside it's own internal call
to TApplication.ProcessMessage, calling DispatchMessage (just after the call
to translate message).

The message it's dispatching to Windows that triggers an access violation
is:
    msg: $0503
    hwnd: 2903E0
    wParam=0
    lParam=0

The tail of the stack trace is:
    Vcl50.Forms::TApplication::ProcessMessage+$05
     delphi32.0040AB53
    Vcl50.Appevnts::TCustomApplicationEvents::DoActivate+10
    Vcl50.400EFC69
    Vcl50.4005A38D
    Vcl50.400511D6

The executable manages to initially dispatch about a dozen other messages
before crashing on $503
    pMsg = MSG(B000) hw = 1504E2 ("Delphi 5") wParam = 0 lParam = 0
    pMsg = MSG(C03B) wParam = 11 lParam = 0
    pMsg = MSG(C03B) wParam = 12 lParam = 0
    pMsg = MSG(C03B) wParam = 12 lParam = 0
    pMsg = MSG(4C8) hw = 180446 (class="DDEMLMom") wParam = C030 lParam =
180446
    pMsg = MSG(C03B) wParam = 11 lParam = 0
    pMsg = WM_NULL
    pMsg = MSG(B001) hw = 1504E2 ("Delphi 5") wParam = 0 lParam = 0
    pMsg = MSG(C1CD) hw = 18033E (class="TTreeControl") wParam = 0 lParam =
0
    pMsg = MSG(503) hw = 2903E0 ("Delphi 5") wParam = 0 lParam = 0

It's not a standard Windows message, so it must be a user message internal
to the Delphi IDE.

Can someone, with the Delphi source code, tell me what message $503 is, so i
can get some hints as to why Delphi is crashing on startup?
0
Jack

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:42:44 -0800, Jack Tripper wrote:

> i came into work today to find that Delphi32.exe crashes with an access
> violation (0xC0000005) on startup.

I suggest that you start by disabling any third-party component
packages or experts.

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com
Marc Rohloff wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:42:44 -0800, Jack Tripper wrote:
>
> > i came into work today to find that Delphi32.exe crashes with an
> > access violation (0xC0000005) on startup.
>
> I suggest that you start by disabling any third-party component
> packages or experts.

This is an access violation, I think. If you have the IDE configured to
start with the last project open, start it using the -np command line
switch for a test. If that works try to reopen the project through the
file menu.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :

Delphi IDE crashes
Hello, I've got a problem with Delphi 2010. The ide sometimes crashes and crashes and crashes. I've opened a QN but they can't figure it out and redirected us to the http://support.embarcadero.com Page. But we dont have a support agreement with Embarcadero so I ask here. Here is the link to the QN: http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=89563 In short words: The IDE crashes during an oepration like CTRL + Mouseclick at a variable or something like that. If the ide is crashed you can simply open delphi again and again and agian. And it will crashes evertime you use ...

VS ide / delphi ide key map

Delphi XE3 IDE Crash
I would like to know if I'm the only one to suffer the constant crash of the IDE of DXE3! After about an hour of use the IDE starts to become unstable, and crashes systematically when I double-click on the Project manager window to switch to a form or a unit! Ther are also other types of crashes but that is the most systematic and actually makes the system unusable because even restart Delphi on the first or second new click it crash again! Only restarting the PC (WIN7) I can become to work quiet for about an hour! In the system I installed a few third-party components, only Jedi, Fas...

IDE crash with Delphi 2009
Hi, I recently bought Delphi 2009 and tried upgrading a rather big project. However, the IDE completely disappears every time I try to compile. After a few hours of debugging I found the offensive code and noticed there is already a QC for it: http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=66966 However, such a huge bug has not made it into SP1. This is really a show stopper for me, as I can't compile my program; finding all the instances of my code that crash the compiler would take me a really long time which I do not want to invest, as I hope this bug will eventually get fixed. ...

Problem with Delphi 5 IDE
I have a delphi 5 program that makes the following function call: BroadcastSystemMessage(BSF_NOHANG or BSF_POSTMESSAGE,dword(nil),tSwitchMsg,handle,winmsg_hello); It works if the program is run outside the IDE, but not if it is run inside the IDE. Would anyone know why this is so? Pier ...

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Hi, I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. Thanks.. Mehmet Fide wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax > highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. > > > Thanks.. See "RAD Studio 2010 vs. Visual Studio 2010" in non-technical group. -- Warm Regards, Lee ...

Delphi XE8 Random IDE crashes
For the first time in recent memory, my Delphi IDE is just plain unstable. I'm using XE8 Update 1 and of course, with /NOCASTALIA. I have removed everything I can from Delphi and still use it (no IDE plugins, etc). I've only recently begun using XE8 (as in the last few weeks.) I am only working with VCL projects. Obviously this is not a place to post bug reports. But even if it were, I couldn't. When the IDE crashes, there is NO useful information. When I distribute my own applications, I use MadExcept so that users can provide me with useful information if some...

Delphi IDEs
Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 and later versions of Delphi? Pier Pier wrote: > Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? iOS support was added in XE4. Android support was added in Delphi XE5. > Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 an...

Delphi 2009 IDE crashes on exception EParseError
I have installed Delphi 2009 on a Windows XP machine and got latest updates Very often (became impossible to work !) the IDE silently crashed when I was just browsing a source code. I ran a second IDE instance to debug the other one, and could catch this when the first crashed : "The bds.exe project has raised the exception class EParseError with message ")' expected but FUNCTION found'" This looks to be a bug in the IDE : it does not handled that exception for some obscure reason. I succeeded to continue to work with it, disabling some options but that's only a...

Opendialog crashes while running in IDE (delphi 2007)
Opendialog has started crashing while running in IDE. A new app with just a button and an opendialog will do it. It works fine when running the app outside the IDE. The old style dialog box is displayed. The crash always happens if I click the dropdown, which causes a bunch of DLLs to be loaded. I have done a complete scan with Bitdefender but it found nothing. The event log shows a string of errors like this: Debug Output: *** EXCEPTION *** Exception Information: Code = 0xC0000005 Address = 0x00000000 Exception caught at: File = ptstrwide.c Line = 2098 Process TestDialogBug...

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Web resources about - Delphi 5 IDE Crashes on startup - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Lightning Crashes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Lightning Crashes " is a song by the rock band Live , from their 1994 album, Throwing Copper . The track wasn't released as a single in the ...

When New York Times website crashes, newspaper turns to Facebook Notes
When The New York Times’ website suffered some downtime Wednesday because of technical issues, the newspaper turned to Facebook Notes to post ...

Adorable Baby Crashes Daddy's Concert - YouTube
17 month old baby, Ethan ran out onstage when his dad, country singer Coffey, was performing at NYE event, started dancing, and stole the show. ...

Police warn drivers after tanker crashes at Ajman roundabout
A tanker overturned at the Al Zorah roundabout spilling oil on the busy road and causing traffic jams for about four hours.

Worst Driver of the Day: Old Man Crashes Into Everything In Piggly Wiggly Parking Lot
No, this isn’t footage from “GTA V.” A 92-year-old man named Russell Kerr pulled his minivan out of the parking lot last Friday at a Piggly Wiggly ...

Man crashes car doing burnouts allegedly twice over limit at Port Pirie - AdelaideNow Search Search
A MAN was arrested after allegedly doing burnouts while almost two times over the limit and crashing into a fence at Port Pirie.

Kangaroos cause two crashes near Bendigo
One driver swerved, the other collided with a kangaroo in separate accidents near Bendigo.

Car crashes into home in Oxley
A car has smashed into a home in Canberra's south on Thursday afternoon.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten crashes car in Melbourne
Bill Shorten was involved in a car crash in Melbourne's north at the weekend.