Delphi 2009 error starting IDE

Hi all,

When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error.

"Stream read error"

I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account, doesn't work.

Thanks all
0
Hendrik

> {quote:title=Hendrik Declercq wrote:}{quote}
> Hi all,
>
> When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error.
>
> "Stream read error"
>
> I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account, doesn't work.
>
> Thanks all

Have you installed D2009 alongside another version of Delphi. Or on a system that has had another version of Delphi on it? If so Delphi 2009 could be pointing to an incompatible component somehow. Have you installed any components in D2009 that might not be compatible?
0
David
10/17/2008 10:19:46 AM
> {quote:title=David Howes wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Hendrik Declercq wrote:}{quote}
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error.
> >
> > "Stream read error"
> >
> > I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account, doesn't work.
> >
> > Thanks all
>
> Have you installed D2009 alongside another version of Delphi. Or on a system that has had another version of Delphi on it? If so Delphi 2009 could be pointing to an incompatible component somehow. Have you installed any components in D2009 that might not be compatible?

I've installed the 2009 along side the 2007 version.

I haven't installed any extra components yet.
0
Hendrik
10/17/2008 11:33:30 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> I've installed the 2009 along side the 2007 version.

That alone should not cause the error. I am running 2009 &
2007 on the same machine with no problems at all.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
> {quote:title=Bill Todd wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
>
> > I've installed the 2009 along side the 2007 version.
>
> That alone should not cause the error. I am running 2009 &
> 2007 on the same machine with no problems at all.
>
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)

Then what can?
0
Hendrik
10/17/2008 3:18:48 PM
David Howes wrote:

> > {quote:title=Hendrik Declercq wrote:}{quote}
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error.
> >
> > "Stream read error"
> >
> > I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account,
> > doesn't work.

You usually get that when the IDE tries to read a component resource
(e.g. a DFM file) that has been damaged.
Try to start the IDE with the -np command line switch and see whether
that changes the picture.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> Then what can?

Do you really think I would not have told you if I knew the
answer?

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
> {quote:title=Peter Below wrote:}{quote}
> David Howes wrote:
>
> > > {quote:title=Hendrik Declercq wrote:}{quote}
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error.
> > >
> > > "Stream read error"
> > >
> > > I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account,
> > > doesn't work.
>
> You usually get that when the IDE tries to read a component resource
> (e.g. a DFM file) that has been damaged.
> Try to start the IDE with the -np command line switch and see whether
> that changes the picture.
>

> --
> Peter Below (TeamB)
> Don't be a vampire (http://slash7.com/pages/vampires),
> use the newsgroup archives :
> http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
> http://groups.google.com

No it doensn't
0
Hendrik
10/20/2008 6:57:16 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> > You usually get that when the IDE tries to read a component resource
> > (e.g. a DFM file) that has been damaged.
> > Try to start the IDE with the -np command line switch and see
> > whether that changes the picture.
> >
> No it doensn't

Pity, so it has to be a component package the IDE loads at startup. Do
you have any additional components or IDE add-ins installed over what
comes with the Delphi installation? If so you will have to remove them
one at a time to find out which the offending one is, sorry.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :
http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
http://groups.google.com
0
Peter
10/20/2008 7:10:00 AM
> {quote:title=Peter Below wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
>
> > > You usually get that when the IDE tries to read a component resource
> > > (e.g. a DFM file) that has been damaged.
> > > Try to start the IDE with the -np command line switch and see
> > > whether that changes the picture.
> > >
> > No it doensn't
>
> Pity, so it has to be a component package the IDE loads at startup. Do
> you have any additional components or IDE add-ins installed over what
> comes with the Delphi installation? If so you will have to remove them
> one at a time to find out which the offending one is, sorry.
>

> --
> Peter Below (TeamB)
> Don't be a vampire (http://slash7.com/pages/vampires),
> use the newsgroup archives :
> http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
> http://groups.google.com

No it's a standard installation.
As mentioned before I have also installed the Delphi 2007
0
Hendrik
10/20/2008 9:24:07 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:
> No it's a standard installation.

Try running process monitor (from SysInternals), to see if you can tell
what file is being accessed just before the error shows up.

I'd suggest turning off tracking of the registry and process/thread
activity and then setting a filter of Process Name=BDS.exe to reduce the
amount of output.

You might also try starting with the -r switch to force the IDE to use a
clean registry key and %AppData% directory.

Something like this from a command prompt:

bds.exe -rBDS_TEST

HTH,

Mark
0
Mark
10/20/2008 5:18:33 PM
> {quote:title=Mark Edington wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
> > No it's a standard installation.
>
> Try running process monitor (from SysInternals), to see if you can tell
> what file is being accessed just before the error shows up.
>
> I'd suggest turning off tracking of the registry and process/thread
> activity and then setting a filter of Process Name=BDS.exe to reduce the
> amount of output.
>
> You might also try starting with the -r switch to force the IDE to use a
> clean registry key and %AppData% directory.
>
> Something like this from a command prompt:
>
> bds.exe -rBDS_TEST
>
> HTH,
>
> Mark

It works using the -rBDS_TEST, can I leave it that way?

Thanks a lot!
0
Hendrik
10/21/2008 6:28:29 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> It works using the -rBDS_TEST, can I leave it that way?

Using that switch creates a completely separate set of configuration
settings in the registry and also in the %AppData% directory.  So you
any configuration changes you have already made would need to be made again.

However, I would really appreciate it if you could work with me to
isolate the file that is causing the error and why it prevents the IDE
from coming up.  I'd really like to fix the code so that it:

  A) Gives a better error and
  B) Doesn't prevent the IDE from starting normally

If you could please try the following it should help narrow things down
further.

1) In explorer, type: %AppData%\CodeGear into the address bar and press
enter. You should see BDS and BDS_TEST folders under there.
2) Rename the BDS folder to BDS_SAVE and then try starting the IDE
*without* the -rBDS_TEST switch.

If the IDE comes up normally then we know the corrupted file is in that
folder and we can figure out which one it is by the process of
elimination or using Process Monitor.

If the IDE still fails to load then problem is related to something in
the registry.  In that case we would need to compare what is different
between the BDS and BDS_TEST registry keys under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CodeGear

You could rename the BDS key there to BDS_SAVE and rename BDS_TEST to
BDS to confirm that.  If it is a registry setting it would probably
still be easiest to find the problem with Process Monitor.

Thanks,

Mark
0
Mark
10/21/2008 9:47:33 PM
> {quote:title=Mark Edington wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
>
> > It works using the -rBDS_TEST, can I leave it that way?
>
> Using that switch creates a completely separate set of configuration
> settings in the registry and also in the %AppData% directory.  So you
> any configuration changes you have already made would need to be made again.
>
> However, I would really appreciate it if you could work with me to
> isolate the file that is causing the error and why it prevents the IDE
> from coming up.  I'd really like to fix the code so that it:
>
>   A) Gives a better error and
>   B) Doesn't prevent the IDE from starting normally
>
> If you could please try the following it should help narrow things down
> further.
>
> 1) In explorer, type: %AppData%\CodeGear into the address bar and press
> enter. You should see BDS and BDS_TEST folders under there.
> 2) Rename the BDS folder to BDS_SAVE and then try starting the IDE
> *without* the -rBDS_TEST switch.
>
> If the IDE comes up normally then we know the corrupted file is in that
> folder and we can figure out which one it is by the process of
> elimination or using Process Monitor.
>
> If the IDE still fails to load then problem is related to something in
> the registry.  In that case we would need to compare what is different
> between the BDS and BDS_TEST registry keys under
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CodeGear
>
> You could rename the BDS key there to BDS_SAVE and rename BDS_TEST to
> BDS to confirm that.  If it is a registry setting it would probably
> still be easiest to find the problem with Process Monitor.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Mark

Mark,

I've tried renaming the folder and removing the switch and the ide still starts fine.

Can I help you with tracing the processes?

Dirk
0
Hendrik
10/22/2008 6:20:43 AM
> {quote:title=Mark Edington wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
>
> > It works using the -rBDS_TEST, can I leave it that way?
>
> Using that switch creates a completely separate set of configuration
> settings in the registry and also in the %AppData% directory.  So you
> any configuration changes you have already made would need to be made again.
>
> However, I would really appreciate it if you could work with me to
> isolate the file that is causing the error and why it prevents the IDE
> from coming up.  I'd really like to fix the code so that it:
>
>   A) Gives a better error and
>   B) Doesn't prevent the IDE from starting normally
>
> If you could please try the following it should help narrow things down
> further.
>
> 1) In explorer, type: %AppData%\CodeGear into the address bar and press
> enter. You should see BDS and BDS_TEST folders under there.
> 2) Rename the BDS folder to BDS_SAVE and then try starting the IDE
> *without* the -rBDS_TEST switch.
>
> If the IDE comes up normally then we know the corrupted file is in that
> folder and we can figure out which one it is by the process of
> elimination or using Process Monitor.
>
> If the IDE still fails to load then problem is related to something in
> the registry.  In that case we would need to compare what is different
> between the BDS and BDS_TEST registry keys under
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CodeGear
>
> You could rename the BDS key there to BDS_SAVE and rename BDS_TEST to
> BDS to confirm that.  If it is a registry setting it would probably
> still be easiest to find the problem with Process Monitor.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Mark

Mark,

Just did some tracing and I fount out that is was due to a file dirk.dst, I think that is where my layout resides.

If you want I can mail you the file?

Dirk
0
Hendrik
10/22/2008 6:34:53 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> Just did some tracing and I fount out that is was due to a file dirk.dst, I think that is where my layout resides.
> If you want I can mail you the file?

Yes, please.

Thank you very much for working with me on this.

Mark
0
Mark
10/22/2008 4:39:51 PM
> {quote:title=Mark Edington wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
>
> > Just did some tracing and I fount out that is was due to a file dirk.dst, I think that is where my layout resides.
> > If you want I can mail you the file?
>
> Yes, please.
>
> Thank you very much for working with me on this.
>
> Mark

How can I do this, with private message I can't insert a file...
0
Hendrik
10/23/2008 6:49:54 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> > {quote:title=Mark Edington wrote:}{quote}
> > Hendrik Declercq wrote:
> >
> > > Just did some tracing and I fount out that is was due to a file
> > > dirk.dst, I think that is where my layout resides.  If you want I
> > > can mail you the file?
> >
> > Yes, please.
> >
> > Thank you very much for working with me on this.
> >
> > Mark
>
> How can I do this, with private message I can't insert a file...

You can email the file to Mark at the email address in his message.

--jeanne (CodeGear QA)

Jeanne
10/23/2008 4:15:08 PM
> {quote:title=Jeanne Hansen wrote:}{quote}
> Hendrik Declercq wrote:
>
> > > {quote:title=Mark Edington wrote:}{quote}

> > > Yes, please.
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for working with me on this.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > How can I do this, with private message I can't insert a file...
>

> You can email the file to Mark at the email address in his message.
>
> --jeanne (CodeGear QA)
>
> --

Where do you see a mail adress?
0
Hendrik
10/24/2008 6:42:03 AM
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> Where do you see a mail adress?

In the header information at the top of Mark's message. If
you do not see the header information you may want to
change the settings in your news reader. IAC, the address
is:

medington at codegear dot com

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Hendrik Declercq wrote:

> Just did some tracing and I fount out that is was due to a file dirk.dst, I think that is where my layout resides.
> If you want I can mail you the file?

Dirk,

Thanks for sending the file.  In my tests, I get the stream read error,
but the IDE would still come up normally following that.  There must be
something else in your configuration that caused this part of the problem.

At any rate, I've fixed the code so that now it will show something like
this:

Settings\MEDINGTON\Application Data\CodeGear\BDS_LEAN\7.0\Dirk.dst" for
dock host window "DockSite1" failed with message:

"EReadError: Stream read error"

That should hopefully make the source of the problem a little more
obvious to anyone who runs into this in the future.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mark
0
Mark
10/24/2008 10:48:31 PM
Mark Edington wrote:

> In my tests, I get the stream read error,
> but the IDE would still come up normally following that.  There must be
> something else in your configuration that caused this part of the problem.

I just re-read your original post.  You never said the error was
stopping the IDE from coming up, so I guess I just got it stuck in my
brain that it did.

Mark
0
Mark

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Delphi 2009 IDE errors
I go to Build or Compile and get an error [DCC Error] E2161 Error: RLINK32: Error opening file "FilenameHere.dfm" It is becuase a file in my USES clause in not open or part of my project. If I open the file first it will compile. (Once it compiles I can close the fileand it still compiles until I exit Delphi 2009) OR If I add the file to my project it will compile. This is a shared unit I do *not* want to include in my project. This worked fine in Delphi 6 and I think in Delphi 2007(although I did not test this exact case to know for sure) The path to the file is in Tools, Op...

Setup.exe error when starting Delphi XE IDE on Win 7 with UAC
when I start Delphi XE on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit with UAC switched on I get the following displayed in the messages section of the screen Error executing 'C:\ProgramData\{7DE921C9-42C8-4DA3-8A44-043C3349FD1D}\Setup.exe': The requested operation requires elevation Should it try and run setup every time I open the IDE? Roy Sharp wrote: > when I start Delphi XE on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit with UAC switched on I > get the following displayed in the messages section of the screen > > Error executing > 'C:\ProgramData\{7DE921C9-42C8-4DA3-8A44-043C3349FD1D}\Setup...

VS ide / delphi ide key map

Delphi 2009 IDE
Hello, Delphi 2009 IDE is flickering a lot ... Why ? (Vista x64, ATI Radeon 4850, Core 2 Due 2.4 Ghz) Examples: 1) Moving toolbars 2) Scrolling Tool Palette with Mouse wheel Thank you -- Charalabos Michael - [Creation Power] - http://www.creationpower.gr ...

Unable to start Delphi IDE
Hi all, All of a sudden I'm no longer to start Delphi 2010 if have started it once before Upon starting the second time (after closing the first time) I get this error Cannot create file "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\EditorLineEnds.ttr". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. The file is definitely not being used by another process. At this point only restarting Windows allows re-starting Delphi 2010. Any idea what may be causing this? Thanks in advance, Gerrit Beuze ModelMaker Tools > > maybe this ...

IDE crash with Delphi 2009
Hi, I recently bought Delphi 2009 and tried upgrading a rather big project. However, the IDE completely disappears every time I try to compile. After a few hours of debugging I found the offensive code and noticed there is already a QC for it: http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=66966 However, such a huge bug has not made it into SP1. This is really a show stopper for me, as I can't compile my program; finding all the instances of my code that crash the compiler would take me a really long time which I do not want to invest, as I hope this bug will eventually get fixed. ...

Delphi 2009 IDE: Synchronize Deadlock
Hi, my MDI application uses threads with synchronized parts. It works fine with D2007 (XP and Vista) and also with D2009 (XP). If I run my programm without IDE, there are no problems either. But when I start the programm within the IDE (D2009 - Vista), it stops when it wants to step in the first synchronized procedure. What could be the reason for this deadlock? (I´ve installed Update #3 and #4 allready) > {quote:title=Manfred Pfeiffer wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > my MDI application uses threads with synchronized parts. It works fine with D2007 (XP and Vista) and al...

Hi, I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. Thanks.. Mehmet Fide wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax > highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. > > > Thanks.. See "RAD Studio 2010 vs. Visual Studio 2010" in non-technical group. -- Warm Regards, Lee ...

Opendialog error in IDE and Delphi XE
Hi, I have observed several times now that when calling an opendialog in Delphi XE from the IDE the program fails. The executable directly works fine and this code has also worked fine in Delphi 2006, from the IDE. Has anything changed that I should be aware of? I am running Delphi XE and Windows 7 (32 bit) {code} FName := ''; OdMyData.InitialDir := ApplicationRootPath; try if OdMyData.Execute then FName := OdMyData.FileName; if FName <> '' then edIconPath.text := FName; finally imgIcon.Picture.Bitmap.LoadFromFile(FName); ...

Delphi Xe IDE error [Edit]
Hi, Getting the error: "Error in module : Declaration of class T_changeMeBack_s is missing or incorrect" when creating a new project as: New -> Other -> ActiveX Library Then adding New -> Other -> Active Form with the Include about box checked Project is created but the About1.pas file is not visible in the project manager (but a reference to it is found in the uses clause of the created unit and _TLB.pas files Edited by: mark buller on Nov 30, 2012 5:45 PM ...

Delphi IDEs
Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 and later versions of Delphi? Pier Pier wrote: > Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? iOS support was added in XE4. Android support was added in Delphi XE5. > Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 an...

Delphi 2009 IDE corrupts project file?
I did a build and maybe an install on a Delphi project that is not a design time project. The units in the project have disappear twice now after building the project. I let Delphi convert the project instead of creating a new project and adding the units. Has anyone else had project corruption problems with Delphi 2009? Larry Griffiths ...

Web resources about - Delphi 2009 error starting IDE - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Starting Over (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Six women at a time work to overcome obstacles and meet personal goals. When it is determined that a woman has met all her goals, she "graduates" ...

Wikipedia:Starting an article - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a page about writing a new article, not the place to actually write it! If you would like to experiment, please use the sandbox or your ...

Facebook Aims To Curb App Spam: Starting Oct. 2, Developers Can No Longer Use API To Post Directly To ...
Starting Oct. 2, applications on Facebook will no longer be able to use its application-programming interfaces to post stories directly to the ...

Starting work on Luleå building 2
It’s been less than a year since we first started serving traffic from our Luleå data center; one of the greenest, most cutting-edge facilities ...

ImplementingScrum - Starting Tough Conversations about Software Development
Scrum Cartoons. Scrum Teams are made up of a ScrumMaster, Product Owner & Team Members. Start those difficult conversations today.

Facebook starting rollout of image-focused sidebar ads
In April, Facebook announced that it is making the images in sidebar ads much bigger . The company recently notified Preferred Marketing Developers ...

Starting Blocks (@sblocks) on Twitter

Angela Ahrendts: ‘Starting Anew’
Angela Ahrendts, writing on LinkedIn: Also, trust your instincts and emotions. Let them guide you in every situation; they will not fail you. ...

Starting a Business with Venture Capital for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) ...
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Starting a Business with Venture Capital on the App Store. Download ...

New Kerbside twilight pop-up markets starting at The Duxton
... pop-up event. In yet another way to make the most of the extra hours of sunlight and warmer temperatures, The Duxton in O'Connor is starting ...