Delphi 2009 app no longer runs from IDE with debugging on

I've got an app that has been running fine for years that all of a
sudden will not launch from the IDE anymore unless I select "Run without
debugging". I have not made any code changes since the last time it was
working correctly.

When I select Run, the IDE minimizes normally. My EXE shows up in the
Windows Task Manager but there is nothing visible on the screen. Then
after about 10 or 15 seconds, the IDE pops back up as if the program was
terminated normally. If I run without debugging then all is fine.

What should I look for?  If I create a new app with just a blank form,
that runs fine.

--
Kent Briggs, kbriggs@briggsoft.com
Briggs Softworks, www.briggsoft.com

"Kent Briggs" <kbriggs@briggsoft.com> wrote in message
> What should I look for?  If I create a new app with just a blank form,
> that runs fine.

Anything worthwhile reported in the event window (Ctl+Alt+V, I think, or
F10-view-events,something like that)?
0
david
11/23/2012 9:17:17 PM
david hoke wrote:
> "Kent Briggs" <kbriggs@briggsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What should I look for?  If I create a new app with just a blank form,
>> that runs fine.
>
> Anything worthwhile reported in the event window (Ctl+Alt+V, I think, or
> F10-view-events,something like that)?

The Event Log shows a "Thread Start" line followed by a "Process Start"
line. After that is dozens of "Module Load" and "Module Unload" lines
showing system DLLs with 5 "Thread Start" lines mixed in. Then at the
end of those is another Thread Start line followed by 5 "Thread Exit"
lines. That last Thread Start line is where it hangs for awhile and
there is no corresponding Thread Exit line that matches its thread ID.

How do I trace a Thread ID in the event log back to its owner? The
numbers change every time it is executed.

--
Kent Briggs, kbriggs@briggsoft.com
Briggs Softworks, www.briggsoft.com
0
Kent
11/24/2012 7:42:31 PM
Kent Briggs wrote:
> I've got an app that has been running fine for years that all of a
> sudden will not launch from the IDE anymore unless I select "Run without
> debugging". I have not made any code changes since the last time it was
> working correctly.

I just noticed something. My app is using a Virtual Treeview component
from Soft Gems. I have not updated it in years. If I create a new app
and drop a blank VT component on it, it exhibits the same behavior and
will not run in debug mode. What could be causing this? The VT still
works just fine when the app is not launched in debug mode.

--
Kent Briggs, kbriggs@briggsoft.com
Briggs Softworks, www.briggsoft.com
0
Kent
11/24/2012 7:59:09 PM
Kent Briggs wrote:

> I just noticed something. My app is using a Virtual Treeview
> component from Soft Gems. I have not updated it in years. If I create
> a new app and drop a blank VT component on it, it exhibits the same
> behavior and will not run in debug mode. What could be causing this?
> The VT still works just fine when the app is not launched in debug
> mode.

VirtualTreeView 5.1 just released, you should update :)

http://www.soft-gems.net/

http://code.google.com/p/virtual-treeview/source/checkout

Cesar Romero
0
Cesar
11/24/2012 8:36:34 PM
Cesar Romero wrote:

> VirtualTreeView 5.1 just released, you should update :)

I just did but the same problem still exists. If I create a new VCL Form
app, drop a VT control on it and click run, it pauses a few seconds on
one of the threads and then quits. The main form was never displayed.

--
Kent Briggs, kbriggs@briggsoft.com
Briggs Softworks, www.briggsoft.com
0
Kent

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

How to convert an MDI app to a paned app like the Delphi IDE
I have an old app that uses the MDI style. And I would like to modernise it to use multiple docked/paned windows (e.g something like MS Outlook or the Delphi IDE say). Does anyone have any tips about what needs to be done to migrate my current MDI Forms to the new UI concept. (The app is several hundred thousand lines of code, so a rewrite is out of the question...) AndrewFG Andrew Fiddian-Green wrote: > I have an old app that uses the MDI style. And I would like to > modernise it to use multiple docked/paned windows (e.g something like > MS Outlook or the Delphi ...

VS ide / delphi ide key map

Delphi 2009 IDE
Hello, Delphi 2009 IDE is flickering a lot ... Why ? (Vista x64, ATI Radeon 4850, Core 2 Due 2.4 Ghz) Examples: 1) Moving toolbars 2) Scrolling Tool Palette with Mouse wheel Thank you -- Charalabos Michael - [Creation Power] - http://www.creationpower.gr ...

IDE crash with Delphi 2009
Hi, I recently bought Delphi 2009 and tried upgrading a rather big project. However, the IDE completely disappears every time I try to compile. After a few hours of debugging I found the offensive code and noticed there is already a QC for it: http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=66966 However, such a huge bug has not made it into SP1. This is really a show stopper for me, as I can't compile my program; finding all the instances of my code that crash the compiler would take me a really long time which I do not want to invest, as I hope this bug will eventually get fixed. ...

Delphi 2010 Minimize IDE on Run
I've been a Delphi person for many years, but have just leapt from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010. Still in the "it's hopefully here somewhere" phase, so forgive the newbie question. How do I set so that the IDE minimizes when I run the project? > {quote:title=Lodge Consultancy Proprietor wrote:}{quote} > I've been a Delphi person for many years, but have just leapt from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010. Still in the "it's hopefully here somewhere" phase, so forgive the newbie question. How do I set so that the IDE minimizes when I run the project? Tools &...

Delphi 2009 error starting IDE
Hi all, When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error. "Stream read error" I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account, doesn't work. Thanks all > {quote:title=Hendrik Declercq wrote:}{quote} > Hi all, > > When I try to start my D2009 I always get the same error. > > "Stream read error" > > I've already tried to reinstall using the administrator account, doesn't work. > > Thanks all Have you installed D2009 alongside another version of Delphi. Or on a system that has h...

Delphi IDEs
Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 and later versions of Delphi? Pier Pier wrote: > Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? iOS support was added in XE4. Android support was added in Delphi XE5. > Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 an...

Hi, I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. Thanks.. Mehmet Fide wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax > highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. > > > Thanks.. See "RAD Studio 2010 vs. Visual Studio 2010" in non-technical group. -- Warm Regards, Lee ...

Delphi IDE running on Linux / WINE
Hi, I have recently retested the Delphi IDE on WINE and was surprised that it actually worked (there are issues however). Since I'd really like to use Delphi outside a VM on my Linux system, I decided to invest some time into this and have now become the official maintainer of Delphi in the WINE appdb: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=42 Any other test results are welcome, I'm going to test all the Delphi versions I have access to in the near future. So far I know that Delphi XE3 and Delphi XE7 work. The installation is not straigh...

Delphi 2009 IDE: Synchronize Deadlock
Hi, my MDI application uses threads with synchronized parts. It works fine with D2007 (XP and Vista) and also with D2009 (XP). If I run my programm without IDE, there are no problems either. But when I start the programm within the IDE (D2009 - Vista), it stops when it wants to step in the first synchronized procedure. What could be the reason for this deadlock? (I´ve installed Update #3 and #4 allready) > {quote:title=Manfred Pfeiffer wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > my MDI application uses threads with synchronized parts. It works fine with D2007 (XP and Vista) and al...

Forgot how to run Delphi 10 IDE Debugger
I'm getting back to running Delphi 10 and seem to have forgotten how to run the IDE debugger. My program builds properly. When I try to "run" the program under the debugger, I can set a breakpoint. When the program stops at that breakpoint, however, the "step over", "trace into", etc. commands are grayed out and are not operative. I suspect that this has something to do with Delphi Compiler Project Options I have set up, but I'm not sure if this is the problem. Run | Run, or Press F9 to debug the active project. There is no product called Delphi...

Web resources about - Delphi 2009 app no longer runs from IDE with debugging on - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away - YouTube
Google Tech Talk February 14, 2012 Presented by Ron Garret. ABSTRACT The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away The ...

Taking the pain out of debugging with live programming
"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place," Brian Kernighan once wrote (adding: "So if you're as ...

Microsoft acquires software for debugging Unity games
... Visual Studio's capabilities for game builders, Microsoft is acquiring SyntaxTree, creator of a widely used Visual Studio plug-in for debugging ...

Agile Learning, Debugging and Mikado Method in Methods & Tools Fall 2013 issue
Methods & Tools – the free e-magazine for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Fall 2013 issue with the ...

Apple releases Xcode 6.3.1 with bug fixes for debugging
Apple today released Xcode 6.3.1 with bug fixes . According to the release notes, the release includes fixes for debugging, Interface Builder, ...

Chrome Beta for Android brings debugging tools to mobile web developers
YouTube link for mobile viewing Chrome Beta for Android brings a lot of cool features for users like you and me, but it also has a handy one ...