3D graphics library for Delphi?

I am working on a scientific program which needs to visualize 3D body
properties. It is supposed to show the properties of the ground after
doing a set of measurements and inverting the results.
So a block that can be twisted and turned and where the properties are
color coded (semi-transparent) is what I am after.

We (not myself though) have used GLScene for 2D visualization but for
3D it was done before using VTK and C++ code.
But I want to use Delphi since I have 16 years of experience with
Object Pascal and basically none with C++...

So is it possible to render 3D data as color codes boxes with GLScene
or is there a different recommended graphics package for Delphi?

I am using Delphi7, BDS2006 and Delphi 2007, might also install XE
(for which I have a license too).

--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

> {quote:title=Eric Grange wrote:}{quote}
> > GLScene is now FireMonkey, the new GUI and 3D library for Delphi since
> > Delphi XE2.
>
> No actually FireMonkey is a severely cut down version of DXScene.
> DXScene itself was initially a derivative of GLScene retasked for
> DirectX, which was later refocused on GUI and multi-platform.
>
> GLScene is still GLScene, and is truly 3D capable, where FireMonkey
> doesn't even support 3D transparency (it only supports blending...).
>
> Eric

Eric,
I have been using GLScene for years and want thank you for all the work you have put into it :)

Having just upgraded from D2010 to XE3 with a mind to making our 3D applications work on Apple, I'm slightly confused about FM.
I haven't looked too closely at it yet but I'd like your opinion on how to proceed in FM with some of the same features as GLScene. Currently we:
1. Load and save .STL meshes (I guess I'll have to incorporate some GLSTLFile code ?)
2. Perform mesh transformations (I guess this is fairly straightforward in FM?)
3. Use GLPolygons extensively for paths and our own Tesselator to retrieve outlines using the various winding rules (eg, Odd,NonZero,Positive,Negative,AbsGeqTwo)
Having never looked at DirectX, I'm not sure what's there and what isn't when compared to OpenGL
4. Create VR environments of shapes/meshes where parent-child relationships are essential
There is probably more but it's possibly enough to know whether I should pursue conversion to FM or stick with GLScene ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Andy
0
Andrew
5/15/2012 10:41:36 AM
Bo Berglund wrote:

> So is it possible to render 3D data as color codes boxes with GLScene
> or is there a different recommended graphics package for Delphi?

GLScene is now FireMonkey, the new GUI and 3D library for Delphi since
Delphi XE2.

--
Rudy Velthuis

"The first half of our life is ruined by our parents and the
 second half by our children." -- Clarence Darrow.
0
Rudy
8/30/2012 9:55:43 PM
> {quote:title=Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> Bo Berglund wrote:
>
> > So is it possible to render 3D data as color codes boxes with GLScene
> > or is there a different recommended graphics package for Delphi?
>
> GLScene is now FireMonkey, the new GUI and 3D library for Delphi since
> Delphi XE2.
>
> --
> Rudy Velthuis

Bist du betrunken?

GLScene == GLScene
FireMonkey == VGScene, DXScene from ex http://www.ksdev.com/
0
Markus
8/30/2012 10:04:51 PM
Markus S wrote:

> Bist du betrunken?
>
> GLScene == GLScene
> FireMonkey == VGScene, DXScene from ex http://www.ksdev.com/

Betrunken nicht, aber anscheinend verwirrt. Ich mag keine Szenen! <g>

--
Rudy Velthuis

"All men are created equal. They are endowed by their Creator
 with certain unalienable rights, among these are life, liberty
 and the pursuit of happiness."
 -- Ho Chi Minh, 1945, as the Democratic Republic of Vietnam
    was created
0
Rudy
8/30/2012 10:20:40 PM
> GLScene is now FireMonkey, the new GUI and 3D library for Delphi since
> Delphi XE2.

No actually FireMonkey is a severely cut down version of DXScene.
DXScene itself was initially a derivative of GLScene retasked for
DirectX, which was later refocused on GUI and multi-platform.

GLScene is still GLScene, and is truly 3D capable, where FireMonkey
doesn't even support 3D transparency (it only supports blending...).

Eric
0
Eric

Web resources about - 3D graphics library for Delphi? - embarcadero.delphi.graphics

Wikipedia:Graphic Lab/Photography workshop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the requests page for the photography workshop. Anyone can make a request for a photograph to be improved for a Wikipedia article. The standard ...

Student finds and shares Mandurah teacher's 'extremely graphic' nude photos
A Mandurah teacher has been left red-faced and could be facing disciplinary action after &quot;extremely graphic&quot; nude pictures of her were ...

Mentor Graphics Halted, Plunges 24%: FYQ4 Outlook Hit By Semi Consolidation
Shares of chip design software maker Mentor Graphics ( MENT ) are down $6.78, over 24%, at $21, after the company this afternoon reported fiscal ...

Migrant crisis: Migration to Europe explained in graphics
The crisis facing the EU as migrants from the Middle East and Africa try to reach new homes in Europe, explained with charts and maps.

AMD announces powerful and wallet-friendly Radeon R9 380X graphics card
While Intel and Nvidia produce some amazing hardware, I always have a place in my heart for AMD. True, the company often lags behind Intel for ...

CORRECTING and REPLACING GRAPHIC Dolby and VUDU Launch the Future Home Theater Experience with Immersive ...
Dolby Laboratories, Inc. today announced that VUDU&reg; customers now have access to a catalog of Warner Bros.&reg; titles remastered for Dolby ...

Cowboys owner backs Greg Hardy despite graphic photos
After photos surface of Hardy's bruised ex-girlfriend in domestic violence case, Cowboys owner says he stands behind his defensive end

Graphic Designer Creates Superhero Football League Helmets
, offering a look at a football league populated entirely by teams based off superheroes, a 24 [...]

GRAPHIC: Soccer Player Suffers The Worst Knee Injury We’ve Ever Seen
GRAPHIC: Soccer Player Suffers The Worst Knee Injury We’ve Ever Seen

The iTunes Terms And Conditions Makes A Great Graphic Novel
When iTunes hits you with their Terms and Conditions , you click “accept” and move on. It would take you a very, very long time to actually, ...

resources last updated: 11/20/2015 5:12:41 PM