What does this hint mean?

H2443 Inline function 'MessageDlg' has not been expanded because unit
'System.UITypes' is not specified in USES list

in XE4?

Thanks
Rael
0
Rael

Rael Bauer wrote:
> H2443 Inline function 'MessageDlg' has not been expanded because unit
> 'System.UITypes' is not specified in USES list
>
> in XE4?
>
> Thanks
> Rael

Means just what it says.  Without that unit in your uses clause the function
will be called as opposed to compiled inline into your code.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
On 2015/07/28 06:28 PM, Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
> Rael Bauer wrote:
>> H2443 Inline function 'MessageDlg' has not been expanded because unit
>> 'System.UITypes' is not specified in USES list
>>
>> in XE4?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rael
>

> Means just what it says.  Without that unit in your uses clause the function
> will be called as opposed to compiled inline into your code.

Hints usually indicate an improvement to code. How would it be better
for me (the app...) if the function was compiled inline?
0
Rael
7/28/2015 5:11:28 PM
Rael Bauer wrote:
> On 2015/07/28 06:28 PM, Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
>> Rael Bauer wrote:
>>> H2443 Inline function 'MessageDlg' has not been expanded because unit
>>> 'System.UITypes' is not specified in USES list
>>>
>>> in XE4?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Rael
>>
>> Means just what it says.  Without that unit in your uses clause the function
>> will be called as opposed to compiled inline into your code.
>>

> Hints usually indicate an improvement to code. How would it be better
> for me (the app...) if the function was compiled inline?

Inline functions are faster, but increase the size of your exe.  IOW there is no
function call, it acts more like a C macro, the code is placed inline every
where it is used (so duplicated, faster to run but at a size impact).

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:

> Rael Bauer wrote:
> unit >>> 'System.UITypes' is not specified in USES list

> >> Means just what it says.  Without that unit in your uses clause
> the function >> will be called as opposed to compiled inline into
> your code.
> > >

> > Hints usually indicate an improvement to code. How would it be
> > better for me (the app...) if the function was compiled inline?
>
> Inline functions are faster, but increase the size of your exe.  IOW
> there is no function call, it acts more like a C macro, the code is
> placed inline every where it is used (so duplicated, faster to run
> but at a size impact).

One has to wonder how a MessageDlg, with human input, would benefit
from inline.

Thoughts?  What am I missing?

Dan
0
Dan
7/28/2015 6:59:08 PM
Dan wrote:

> One has to wonder how a MessageDlg, with human input,
> would benefit from inline.

In this case, MessageDlg() simply calls MessageDlgPosHelp() (which itself
calls DoTaskMessageDlgPosHelp() or DoMessageDlgPosHelp() to display the actual
dialog, depending on various criteria).  MessageDlg() is declared as 'inline'
so that the code that is calling MessageDlg() can actually call MessageDlgPosHelp()
directly if inlining has been applied at compile-time, thus eliminating the
extra function call to MessageDlg() at run-time.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:

> Inline functions are faster, but increase the size of your exe.

Sometimes simple inline functions (1-2 short statements) generate even
smaller code!

--
Alex
0
On 2015/07/28 07:42 PM, Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
 > Inline functions are faster, but increase the size of your exe.  IOW
there is no
 > function call, it acts more like a C macro, the code is placed inline
every
 > where it is used (so duplicated, faster to run but at a size impact).

How do I prevent Delphi from showing this hint?

Can I disable this specific hint? (H2443 Inline function 'MessageDlg'
has not been expanded because unit 'System.UITypes' is not specified in
USES list)

Thanks
Rael
0
Rael
8/12/2015 3:29:55 PM
Rael wrote:

> How do I prevent Delphi from showing this hint?
>
> Can I disable this specific hint?

Although there are project options to enable/disable various hints on a project-wide
basis, this particular hint is not on that list.  The best you can do is
to wrap each affected MessageDlg() call with {$HINTS} directives instead, eg:

{code}
{$HINTS OFF}
MessageDlg(...);
{$HINTS ON}
{code}

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

What generals generally do

delphi.general Timer
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_202d5.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" For Paolo Valle --JivePart=_202d5.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="SubroutineTimer.pas" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="SubroutineTimer.pas" dW5pdCBTdWJyb3V0aW5lVGltZXI7DQoNCmludGVyZmFjZQ0KDQpwcm9jZWR1cmUgU3RhcnRTdWJy b3V0aW5lVGltZXI7DQpmdW5jdGlvbiBHZXRTdWJSb...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Problem with hints in Delphi 2007
Our company has stumbled across an interesting issue that we cannot find a solution for.... Since building our applications using Delphi 2007 we have found that if the application is already running on a PC and we start a remote connection to this PC using PcAnywhere (v 10) and then the remote user hovers the mouse over any control that contains a hint the program crashes with an access violation and terminates - if the application is then restarted the hints work fine for the rest of that PcAnywhere session - however, if you were to end the session and then connect again you would get the ...

Delphi ActiveX Hint Problem
Hi, I have an AciveX control written in Delphi 6 which I use as an OLEControl in PowerBuilder 8.0.3 build 9704. This control shows "hints" while the mouse stays still over it. The problem is that PB crashes if I close the window who contains the control while this "hint" is visible. The error message I have is "Access violation... the memory could not be read" and sometimes in the title of this error message I have the text of the "hint". Thanks in advance ...

EVarriantTypeCast error delphi language general
I uploaded above subject to the attachment space.with test.zip. If somebody coul have a look at the test i prepared. Since overall QuickReport does work, i could not guess what is going on here. Thanks in advance to have a look at the attached test i made and hopefully somebody can find the issue. Regards. Lieven Hi xxx, If nothing works, it could mean that somewhere a mistake was made.lol. For the uploaded to public attachment test.zip solution below. Regards Lieven {Sql code} QryPtDat1.Sql.Clear; QryPtDat1.Sql.Add('SELECT D."Names", ...

General bootstrap questions: Delphi 7, pascal
Hi, This might be a bit inchoherant. I am sorry of that is the case but I have inherited a collection of languishing Delphi Projects in Pascal. I do not know Pascal and this is nearly my into to Delphi. Delphi 7 is running in a Windows XP VirtualMachine instance. The project in question uses several third party libraries / tools. Basically, I don't know where to start so I'll start at the beginning and hope you guys can help. I first inherited these projects almost two years ago. For the most part they work. There is one project, however, that needs to have a few "mag...

Delphi 2007 hints and warnings are end up all warnings
Hi: In Delphi 2007, all hints and warnings are end up all warnings. If I have 5 hints and 5 warnings after compiled, it will show 10 warnings in message panel with [DCC Warning], no hints at all. Any suggestions are appreciated. Roland Roland Zhang wrote: > Hi: > > In Delphi 2007, all hints and warnings are end up all warnings. > > If I have 5 hints and 5 warnings after compiled, it will show 10 > warnings in message panel with [DCC Warning], no hints at all. > > Any suggestions are appreciated. > > Roland I think there is a swit...

borland.public.delphi.database.general not fond
Hello. My problem is I am trying to connect to a newsgroup that I have configured in Outlook Express 6, under Windows XP and appears this as follows mistake : 411 Group borland.public.delphi.database.general not found. Setup: Count: newsgroups.borland.com Server: newsgroups.borland.com Protocol: NNTP Port: 119 Security (SSL): 0 Error Number: 411 Code: 800ccca5 With the newsgroup of Newsgroups.borland.com before it could enter the group borland.public.delphi.database.general, This is for all groups that begin with borland. I hope you can hel...

borland.public.delphi.database.general not fond #2
Hello. My problem is I am trying to connect to a newsgroup that I have configured in Outlook Express 6, under Windows XP and appears this as follows mistake : 411 Group borland.public.delphi.database.general not found. Setup: Count: newsgroups.borland.com Server: newsgroups.borland.com Protocol: NNTP Port: 119 Security (SSL): 0 Error Number: 411 Code: 800ccca5 With the newsgroup of Newsgroups.borland.com before it could enter the group borland.public.delphi.database.general, This is for all groups that begin with borland. I hope you can hel...

Missing tooltips/hints in Delphi 2007 IDE and Application
Hi everybody, In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it also doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At runtime, buttons and other components do not show the hint text. Of course, the hint property is filled and showhint is True. I am having this problem for a while now, so restarting delphi / rebooting system is not the sollution. Does anybody have a suggestion maybe?? Kind regards, Roger Hoen Roger Hoen wrote: > Hi everybody, > > In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it > also doe...

Delphi component for computing general linear mixed models ??
Are there any statistical software available for Delphi for computing General linear mixed models so that having a data sampler and analyser also may run statistics directly on group of humans observed pr minute basis that should be compared together ?? For you old-timers here is a hint as to what the subject is about: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22General+linear+mixed+models%22 --JohnH Have you looked at http://www.dewresearch.com/ which has some useful code for that sort of thing? /Matthew Jones/ Alf Christophersen wrote: > Are there any statistical softw...

General question on the concept of integer handling in Delphi 2009
I found in system.pas new names "NativeInt" and "NativeUInt". According to all computer languages worldwide, Integer (and Cardinal) is *already* a native integer that represents the CPU register for best performance etc... What will happen in Delphi 2010 Win64 ??? I don't want to change Integer to NativeInt in my code thousand times to get adequate performance. > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > I found in system.pas new names "NativeInt" and "NativeUInt". Interesting. > According to all computer languages wor...

Web resources about - What does this hint mean? - embarcadero.delphi.general

Official: Clinic Suspect Made 'No More Baby Parts' Comment
Official: Reclusive Colorado clinic suspect made 'no more baby parts' comment after arrest

Cyber Monday Is Coming: Are Online Sales Better Than Black Friday?
Move over Black Friday! Cyber Monday is when all the cool kids shop these days. The days of waiting in line outside Best Buy from midnight to ...

COP21: Paris climate deal 'more likely' after terror attacks
BBC News COP21: Paris climate deal 'more likely' after terror attacks BBC News Nearly 150 global leaders are gathering in Paris on Sunday ...

Newborn in Stable Condition After Being Found ‘Buried Alive’ in Compton; Information Sought
Detectives were seeking information Saturday after discovering a days-old newborn that had been “buried alive” near a riverbed in Compton, according ...

Tutankhamun's tomb is hiding Queen Nefertiti behind the walls reveal radar images
Eygyptologists believe they may have found the final resting place of the lost Queen Nefertiti, the supposed stepmother of boy-king Tutankhaumun ...

Turkey, EU meet on refugee crisis
European Union leaders will offer Turkey cash and a boost for its membership bid in exchange for its cooperation with the migrant crisis at a ...

Putin Issues Sanctions Against Turkey
As tempers continue to flare over the Russian fighter plane shot down near the Turkey and Syria border, Vladimir Putin has introduced sanctions ...

Killing of Pro-Kurdish Lawyer Sparks Protest - Al Jazeera America
Tahir Elci, a human rights defender, had faced a criminal charge for speaking in defense of Kurdish rebels

Donald Trump Supporter Accused Of Animal Cruelty Lends Elephant To Campaign Event
From stump to stump, controversy tends to follow GOP candidate Donald Trump. Most recently, hullaballoo manifested in the form of a prettified ...

Selena Gomez Hates Dating, But Would Like To Date Zayn Malik, Older Men
Selena Gomez hates dating just like the rest of us lonely and single folks. The 23-year-old singer and actress graced the January 2016 cover ...