package conversion from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2010

Hello,

I am evaluating 2010 to convert a delphi 5 app up.  My first task is to convert some custom control packages.  My requires statment looks like this:

requires
  vcl50,
  Vclx50,
  VclSmp50,
  Vcldb50,
  vcljpg50,

What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any?  Is there documentation that I could look at to help with the conversion process?

Thanks..

...Joe..
1
joe

joe alaimo wrote:

> requires
>   vcl50,
>   Vclx50,
>   VclSmp50,
>   Vcldb50,
>   vcljpg50,

140 is the 2010 version.

> What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any?  Is there documentation
> that I could look at to help with the conversion process?

Open the project in the Delphi IDE, use Project Manager to select the
X50 packages, delete all, Rebuild the project and the IDE will add
automatically all required packages with the right name.

Cesar Romero
0
Cesar
1/28/2010 4:45:32 PM
joe alaimo wrote:

> requires
>   vcl50,
>   Vclx50,
>   VclSmp50,
>   Vcldb50,
>   vcljpg50,
>
> What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any?

In the requires section, you should simply remove the 50. In modern
versions, you don't specify the 50 anymore for the .dcp (that is what
you link to in the requires section), only for the .bpl.

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools
 have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction
 without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently,
 all character training and religion must be derived from faith
.... we need believing people."
 -- Adolf Hitler
0
Rudy
1/28/2010 5:52:31 PM
Thanks for your reply.  This worked but I have now hit another snag in the same compile.  One of the pas files references dsgnintf.pas which used to be in the toolsapi directory.

I can no longer find this at all in 2010.  Is there an equivalent or a workaround?

Thanks..

...Joe..

> {quote:title=Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> joe alaimo wrote:
>
> > requires
> >   vcl50,
> >   Vclx50,
> >   VclSmp50,
> >   Vcldb50,
> >   vcljpg50,
> >
> > What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any?
>
> In the requires section, you should simply remove the 50. In modern
> versions, you don't specify the 50 anymore for the .dcp (that is what
> you link to in the requires section), only for the .bpl.
> --
> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)        http://www.teamb.com
>
> "Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools
>  have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction
>  without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently,
>  all character training and religion must be derived from faith
> ... we need believing people."
>  -- Adolf Hitler
0
joe
1/28/2010 8:31:09 PM
> Thanks for your reply.  This worked but I have now hit another snag in the same compile.  One of the pas files references dsgnintf.pas which used to be in the toolsapi directory.
>
> I can no longer find this at all in 2010.  Is there an equivalent or a workaround?

Since Delphi 6 DsgnIntf got replaced by DesignIntf, DesignWindows and
DesignEditors. Depending on your needs you might only need a subset. Google for
these unit names for more information.

--
Jens Gruschel
http://www.pegtop.net
joe alaimo wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  This worked but I have now hit another snag
> in the same compile.  One of the pas files references dsgnintf.pas
> which used to be in the toolsapi directory.
>
> I can no longer find this at all in 2010.  Is there an equivalent or
> a workaround?

Do the following:

Create two packages, one as runtime package and one as designtime
package. The runtime package contains all units that do not reference
dsgnintf. It should require (reference) the vcl, vclx, etc. packages.
The designtime package should require the runtime package and
designide.dcp (Add Reference in the project manager).

The designtime and runtime package must be installed in the IDE. The
runtime package is also used for programs (the designtime package only
works in the IDE).

"Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think
 that's how dogs spend their lives." -- Sue Murphy.
0
Rudy
1/29/2010 8:56:35 PM
Hi Rudy,

Is this a requirement to split it out this way?

The reason that I ask is that by replacing dsgnintf with designintf, I was able to compile and install the package.  The components now show up on my button bar.

However, when I use a control I get a problem.  I built a test project with one form and one of these controls. When I attempt to compile this test app, it says that File Not Found: DesignIntf.dcu.

Is this because I did not split it out or is there another reason?  I thought that DesignIntf is built into D2010 so it would be able to find the dcu if needed.

Thanks..

...Joe..

> {quote:title=Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> joe alaimo wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply.  This worked but I have now hit another snag
> > in the same compile.  One of the pas files references dsgnintf.pas
> > which used to be in the toolsapi directory.
> >
> > I can no longer find this at all in 2010.  Is there an equivalent or
> > a workaround?
>
> Do the following:
>
> Create two packages, one as runtime package and one as designtime
> package. The runtime package contains all units that do not reference
> dsgnintf. It should require (reference) the vcl, vclx, etc. packages.
> The designtime package should require the runtime package and
> designide.dcp (Add Reference in the project manager).
>
> The designtime and runtime package must be installed in the IDE. The
> runtime package is also used for programs (the designtime package only
> works in the IDE).
>

> --
> Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)        http://www.teamb.com
>
> "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think
>  that's how dogs spend their lives." -- Sue Murphy.
0
joe
1/29/2010 9:33:58 PM
joe alaimo wrote:

> Hi Rudy,
>
> Is this a requirement to split it out this way?

Yes, since units like the ones you mention are only available inside
the IDE (and you are not allowed to distribute the packages that
contain them).

IOW, you can't use designtime-only code outside the IDE. Runtime code
can be used anywhere, so you should split out the units that need the
IDE to function.

"A lady came up to me on the street, pointed at my suede jacket
 and said, 'Don't you know a cow was murdered for that jacket?'
 I said 'I didn't know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to
 kill you too'." -- George Carlin
0
Rudy
1/29/2010 10:57:07 PM
<joe alaimo> wrote in message news:208423@forums.codegear.com...

> Is this a requirement to split it out this way?

Yes, and always has been.  Old versions did not enforce it as much, but did
support it.  Design-time code does not belong in run-time executables, it is
restricted by Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero licensing, and can only be used
by the IDE anyway.

> The reason that I ask is that by replacing dsgnintf with designintf, I was
> able to compile and install the package.  The components now show
> up on my button bar.

That does not mean it is right, though.  The only design-time function that
is allowed in a run-time package is RegisterComponents() (and related
functions), and only because it is implemented in the Classes unit.  As long
as your component does not use custom design-time editors, it is ok to use a
single package that is both a run-time package and a design-time package.
But if you do write your own custom editors for the component, then you must
implement separate run-time-only and design-time-only packages.

> However, when I use a control I get a problem.  I built a test project
> with one
> form and one of these controls. When I attempt to compile this test app,
> it says
> that File Not Found: DesignIntf.dcu.

The DesignIntf and related units can never be used in a run-time package.
If you need to use those units, then you must separate your code properly.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 conversion
Hi We are moving our product from D5 to D6. I have dealt with all the deprecated functions. However, we are getting various platform specifc warnings. These include: Symbol 'FileGetAttr' is specific to a platform Symbol 'FileSetAttr' is specific to a platform Symbol 'faReadOnly' is specific to a platform We want this conversion to be carried out correctly. We don't view the simple solution of switching off those warnings or symbols as being the correct way. What we want is the same platform independence as other functions. For example, all o...

Messy Help Conversion: Delphi 5-->Delphi 2010 + Winhelp-->HTMLHelp
Hoping someone can give me guidance on this Help problem... I am a tech writer (not a programmer). We have an old Windows App that was created in Delphi 5. The app used Winhelp, which was authored in RoboHelp for Word. The help included context sensitive topics using mapping IDs. So now we have upgraded to Delphi 2010. And I have converted to Microsoft HTMLHelp, using RoboHelp. That is, instead of an .HLP file, we now have a .CHM file. What do the developer's need to reconfigure in Delphi? They have been able to get the new .CHM file to open with the app, but the help windo...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 character codes conversion
I an converting a unit from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010. Everything works except for a couple of character codes, the decimal values are(224 and 227). As far as I can tell when data is loaded from the socket into a buffer, the codes are ok. When they are written to another buffer these 2 codes use the upper case version of the characters(192 and 224). I don' t see it on any other of the codes. I set the code page in the compiler options to 1252, but that did not work. Any other options I can set in Delp hi 2010 to correct this? TIA Jan B wrote: > I an converting a unit from D...

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

problem delphi 2010 apps with a delphi 5 pro Pchar
Hallo I build on till now alle tools and programas with delphi 5 pro now i have delphi 2010 want don't want rewite alle my DLL Tools Like The tool i made for making PDF In case of This DLL i can't becose the vcl i use in delphi 5 will not work in delphi 2010 *This call in apps* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall external 'GUPPDF2.dll'; {code} *In delphi 5 DLL* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall; {code} if call the function i get a "Access violation" i think that the settings parameter empty is...

Delphi 2010 Help Update and Delphi Updates 4 & 5
I installed Delphi 2010 Update 4 a few weeks ago. Is there a help update that corresponds with Delphi 2010 Update 4? If not where can I find the latest help update. How do I update help? > {quote:title=Bill Miller wrote:}{quote} > I installed Delphi 2010 Update 4 a few weeks ago. Is there a help update > that corresponds with Delphi 2010 Update 4? If not where can I find the > latest help update. How do I update help? The last help update for Delphi/C++ Builder 2010 was Help Update 1, released around the first of November 2009. It's available on the Embarcad...

vcljpg to vclimg, packages and Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2010 compatibility
Hello, everybody. I have a package A which has vcljpg in its "requires" clause. I have another several packages B, C, D, E, etc which has A in theirs "requires" clauses. All packages are both Delphi 2006 and Delphi 2010 compatible. The problem is that there is no vcljpg package in Delphi 2010 and in order to compile the whole bunch of packages I have to change vcljpg to vclimg and compile. Unfortunately it renders the whole set of packages incompilable under Delphi 2006. Is there a way to create an alias for vclimg or vcljpg in order to get the same code...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Web resources about - package conversion from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2010 - embarcadero.delphi.general

Conversion (law) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its criminal counterpart is theft . Examples are seen in cases where trees are cut down and the lumber hauled from the land by someone not having ...

Family of Enrique Marquez unaware of his 2014 marriage, conversion to Islam
The family members of Enrique Marquez, the man linked to the San Bernardino massacre, said they were unaware he was married or that he had converted ...

Effective Strategies for Increasing E-Commerce Conversions
... tips for improving your ecommerce strategy and related outcomes. Social signals are a powerful tool for engaging users and increasing conversion ...

Christmas Verse: A tale of conversion or, as Christians view it, re-birth
The Journey of the Magi, T. S. Eliot 'A cold coming we had of it, Just the worst time of the year For a journey, and such a long journey: The ...

Revisiting Carlos Martinez's rotation conversion
... thanks to his pitch mix, then it sure sounded like it could be possible. Now, almost a full year later, I wanted to revisit Martinez's conversion. ...

Dow to Force Conversion of Buffett Preferreds If Rally Holds
Bloomberg Dow to Force Conversion of Buffett Preferreds If Rally Holds Bloomberg Dow Chemical Co., which has been paying $255 million annually ...

​Judge orders N.J. "gay conversion" nonprofit to close
Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing, known as JONAH, ordered to cease operations within 30 days

Eight Christians acquitted of forced conversion in India
Eight Christians who were accused of forcibly converting a Hindu have been acquitted by a court in India according to Asia News.

Council votes to ban gay 'conversion' therapy in Cincinnati
Cincinnati follows four states and the District of Columbia banning the therapy, becoming the first city outside D.C. to do so.

Solar Frontier Pushes CIS (aka CIGS) Thin Film Solar Envelope With New Conversion Record, Factory Model ...
Japan's Solar Frontier comes up with a killer combo, a new low cost thin film solar manufacturing model and a new solar conversion efficiency ...