Installation of Delphi 7 onto Windows 7 64 bit platform.

Hello,

I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?

Thank you very much in advance.  John Shyer
2
John
11/25/2013 12:05:50 AM
📁 embarcadero.delphi.general
📃 4258 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 9 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 5411 Views

John Shyer wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep
>getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files
>(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files
>(x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this
>error, or is it even possible?

Yes, you can install into another directory (c:\delphi) or just adjust
the security of the Delphi7 folder so it has additional rights.
0
Marius
11/25/2013 12:15:03 AM
Neither of these suggestions worked.  I am the only user on this computer and am the administrator, yet Windows or Delphi would not allow me to change the "read-only" property of bin to Not read only.  Do you have any other suggestions?  They would be greatly appreciated.  John Shyer

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
> 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.  John Shyer
0
John
11/25/2013 4:58:04 AM
And please do not suggest installing it on the Windows 7 "virtual machine"  I hate the magilla of going to the virtual environment and then trying to get things out of it.  I am not impressed by it.  John

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
> 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.  John Shyer
0
John
11/25/2013 5:00:27 AM
John Shyer wrote:

> I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep
> getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to 'C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this
> error, or is it even possible?

Does this link help?

http://www.ic0de.org/archive/index.php/t-11566.html

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Find tips and code samples at Delphi Worlds:

I will try this in the morning.  John

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
> 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.  John Shyer
0
John
11/25/2013 6:52:19 AM
Unfortunately the instructions in the paper at the URL you referenced do not relate in any manner to what I am finding.  First, the C:\Programs\Delphi7 directory is empty; there are not any files there at all.  Second when I located several Delphi32.$$$ files in the C:\Program Files (X86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin directory, all of the files were not Read Only Marked.  I have been unable to locate any other Delphi7 files of the type Delphi32.$$$.  Do you have any other suggestions??  Thank you for your time and
 courtesy in answering my posting.   John Shyer

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
> 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.  John Shyer
0
John
11/28/2013 11:40:00 AM
John

I've just moved to W7 64 bit and installed D2006 and D6. Initially I went with a standard install. That put files in Program Files (x86) and gave me a few problems. I uninstalled and installed to their own directories off the root (C:\D2006 and C:\Delphi) and that's worked fine. Since it was 5 years ago that I last did an install I'd forgotten a few things like edit the system path to point at my homebrew dlls but apart from that it all worked.

I understand your dislike of VMs at least for a live environment. I only have a couple of apps still needing D6 so decided to plop it into a VirtualBox VM. Result - three days of hell. Still can't get the VM to recognise a USB stick and it sometimes, at its own whim, does recognise my LAN.

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
11/28/2013 12:17:33 PM
Roy and Marius,

     Thank you so much.  It WORKED!!!!  I changed the installation directories to C:\Delphi7 and C:\Delphi7Shared.  It installed and the Delphi 7 IDE came up without any problem.  Also, the help function seems to work just fine too.  I thank both of you very, very much.  John Shyer

> {quote:title=John Shyer wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to install Delphi 7 onto Windows 7, 64 bits, and keep getting the message: " Unable to rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.$$$ to
> 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.dro' ".   How do I get around this error, or is it even possible?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.  John Shyer
0
John
11/30/2013 4:51:28 AM
I encountered the *same issue on Windows 8 64bit*. While the error message was still visible I checked Task Manager to see what processes were running. By right-clicking on the Delphi item in the "Processes" tab (what used to be called the "Applications" tab in earlier versions of Windows) and clicking on "Go to details" (what I think used to be called "Go to process" in earlier versions of Windows) it led my straight to the process responsible (delphi32.exe). I opened the *Delphi7\Bin folder* in Windows
Explorer, selected *delphi32.exe*, *right-click then "Run as administrator"* and the error message didn't appear (ie. Delphi 7 opened normally). I then exited Delphi 7, and tried to run Delphi 7 with an ordinary double-click on delphi32.exe. It worked fine too. I don't know how often this delphi32.$$$ has to be renamed, perhaps only once, perhaps every now and then, but now I know how to get around it if it happens again. In the meantime, the ordinary double-click or Start [menu in earlier versions of Win
dows] shortcut are now working fine.
0
Wassim